• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real Deal behind Goldeneye Cancellation

Maloney

If they’ve completed development (I am guessing)and they will never be able to officially release this/make any money on it - maybe someone at Rare should <ahem> “leak” this onto the internet.

They could make it playable under the 360’s Games blade like you could with the demo of Guitar Hero 3 a while back.

When Nintendo throws a hissy fit Rare could just say “Yeah, uhhh gross miss conduct by an individual, we fired the guy that did it”.

Kibbles

So what about the Bond movies on the marketplace, and why did they play Goldeneye music before the GDC Keynote? I thought Microsoft was onto something >.>

Maloney said:
If they&#8217;ve completed development (I am guessing)and they will never be able to officially release this/make any money on it - maybe someone at Rare should <ahem> &#8220;leak&#8221; this onto the internet.

They could make it playable under the 360&#8217;s Games blade like you could with the demo of Guitar Hero 3 a while back.

When Nintendo throws a hissy fit Rare could just say &#8220;Yeah, uhhh gross miss conduct by an individual, we fired the guy that did it&#8221;.
Yep, I'm sure Nintendo would just walk away after that, too!

Cheerilee

Segata Sanshiro said:
Some N64 titles were dev'd by Rare and pub/distro'd by Nintendo.

Others were dev/published by Rare and distributed by Nintendo.
Actually, that's a misconception. The "Rare" that published some of Rare's games was a dummy company set up with Nintendo money and owned 100% by Nintendo. It was listed in their financial reports. It was a trick. A marketing/branding thing.

Guess which ones went with Rare in the sale?
Various things that Rare wanted, regardless of what camp they fell in. Not any of the Kong Family, Starfox or Krystal.

Guess which category Goldeneye was in?
We don't know. There's no way to tell what Rare owns, unless Rare makes use of it, or someone leaks and tells us what they own. And well, there have been some leaks, and an attempted/aborted use of it. But some people don't want to believe those reports.

Cheerilee

Maloney said:
If they’ve completed development (I am guessing)and they will never be able to officially release this/make any money on it - maybe someone at Rare should <ahem> “leak” this onto the internet.

They could make it playable under the 360’s Games blade like you could with the demo of Guitar Hero 3 a while back.

When Nintendo throws a hissy fit Rare could just say “Yeah, uhhh gross miss conduct by an individual, we fired the guy that did it”.
It wouldn't be Nintendo going after Rare (assuming the reports are right). Rare was led to believe that they'd be able to use the Bond license, but then Nintendo twisted Activision's arm, so Activision refused to lend Rare the license. If this leaked out, Activision/MGM/Sony would sue MS/Rare for using the Bond license without permission, and it wouldn't matter if they hung one guy out to dry by firing him, they'd still get sued.

Maloney

lol, ok how about plan B:

Rare says "Hey, we had a break-in last week and a server was stolen, it's not our fault... Honest"

I know, I know, it'll never happen.

Cheerilee

Maloney said:
lol, ok how about plan B:

Rare says "Hey, we had a break-in last week and a server was stolen, it's not our fault... Honest"

I know, I know, it'll never happen.
Lawsuits never care if it was actually your fault. The best care scenario is if Activision grows enough balls to simply let Rare use the Bond license and doesn't fear getting booted off the Wii/DS for it, or maybe if Activision's license runs out and someone who doesn't respond well to threats picks it up.

Oh and...
http://games.kikizo.com/features/rareware_int.asp?f=rareware_int.asp
With hindsight, I mean obviously you don't because you had to do what you did, but do you sort of feel it's a shame that you developed a lot of IP that you've had to let go of now?

Chris: Well, the two properties that go back to Nintendo are Donkey Kong and Star Fox. The rest of the IP actually comes back to Rare. We have a very good relationship with Nintendo it all worked out in the end.
Are you going to miss anyone at, or anything about, Nintendo?

Chris: That's a good question. I suppose, over 15 years, we've developed some wonderfully close relationships with the people at Nintendo, especially with the people at EAD and yes there are people there that we'll miss the day to day communication with, but they're still our friends and we'll see them at shows. It's not like you've seen in the press about there must be some rift between Nintendo and Rare. That's certainly not the case, which has been borne out by the fact that we have been able to sort out all the IP ownership issues.
I guess Iwata isn't one of those 15-year relationship people (but somehow Reggie is).

Maloney

ruby_onix said:
Activision/MGM/Sony would sue MS/Rare for using the Bond license without permission.

On a slightly more serious note I am sure that remarks were made to the effect of "No Sean Bean Likeness In Shelved XBLA Goldeneye" - is it possible MS were thinking of releasing it under another guise?

thefro

Maloney said:
On a slightly more serious note I am sure that remarks were made to the effect of "No Sean Bean Likeness In Shelved XBLA Goldeneye" - is it possible MS were thinking of releasing it under another guise?

It's doubtful... they seem to only have the Level Design rights for Facility, Complex, and Temple (the Perfect Dark 64 versions). I'm sure we would have had a map pack for PDZ or Halo 3 with some reskinned Goldeneye levels (beyond just the 3 that appeared in the original Perfect Dark) if it was that simple

ruby_onix said:
Lawsuits never care if it was actually your fault. The best care scenario is if Activision grows enough balls to simply let Rare use the Bond license and doesn't fear getting booted off the Wii/DS for it, or maybe if Activision's license runs out and someone who doesn't respond well to threats picks it up.

Oh and...
http://games.kikizo.com/features/rareware_int.asp?f=rareware_int.asp

I guess Iwata isn't one of those 15-year relationship people (but somehow Reggie is).

ruby... Nintendo would boot Activision off Wii/DS? You actually believe they threatened Activision, and with that? You believe Reggie is a for-the-gamers kind of guy but Iwata is some kind of spoil sport?

Even if the game was real, those events described by the Penny Arcade poster (and by proxy, the Xbox magazine) are unmitigated unverified bullshit.

Kujo

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't remember if GoldenEye was a 12 MB or 16 MB game, but either way there's plenty of leeway for going crazy relative to the original.
There is some room there, but they've used a lot of it on the all new textures which would be much higher in resolution and detail than the N64's ones. The magazine mentions pretty much every area, item, and model in the game has been retextured. So that's a fair chunk of it there. The geometry looks fine to me for an XBLA game, there are still improvements there in the screens and it could pass off as a game released last-gen at least.

They should just remake Perfect Dark instead. No real issues there, and to be honest, I kind of prefer the game over this.

Ruby quoted
With hindsight, I mean obviously you don't because you had to do what you did, but do you sort of feel it's a shame that you developed a lot of IP that you've had to let go of now?

Chris: Well, the two properties that go back to Nintendo are Donkey Kong and Star Fox. The rest of the IP actually comes back to Rare. We have a very good relationship with Nintendo it all worked out in the end.
That doesn't read to me like licensed games are part of what they're talking about, but original characters/franchises.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Mojo said:
They should just remake Perfect Dark instead. No real issues there, and to be honest, I kind of prefer the game over this.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that's what they're doing and thats why they havent gone ape shit over XBW360 releasing these details/screenshots.

Kujo

Ghost said:
If I had to guess, I'd bet that's what they're doing and thats why they havent gone ape shit over XBW360 releasing these details/screenshots.
I hope so, the last page of the XBW360 article hints at this, so who knows. Here's the quote:

If you're looking for a glimmer of hope, you'll come up short unless you take a look beyond James Bond and all his licensing problems to a game which came out a little further down the line; a certain Ms Joanna Dark had a pretty good N64 game, and Microsoft have the rights to her all sewn up. The original Perfect Dark in 2009? We'll expect a call...soon.

fernoca

The irony in all this talk is that:
1. Most of the ones that want a port/remake only want it to play it a few hours/days and then go back to play Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, or any other game for that matter.
2. Most want it on the Xbox 360, just to get the 200 Achievement Points..you know, because it's GoldenEye..hello!!!?! It's a hardcore game..the hardcorest of the hardcore games!!!
3. Most don't even care about a port or remake about it.

Even more, considering that this year a new James Bond game is expected around this Fall on all consoles by Activision) and the new (Quantum of Solace) movie this Fall...so is not like people in general would be playing the game/watching that new movie and saying "Darn, I wish there was a remake of GoldenEye right now"..

In any case, there's no evidence about the content of the article being truth (aside the people just saying is truth because "Nintendo is the evil") and there's no evidence that it's false (aside the whole thing originating from a videogames forum)..and is not like Nintendo/Rare/Microsoft are going to issue a press release any day now saying "Yeah we were making the game, but this is what happened..."

In my case, well I don't mind for now..
IF it's made I'll get it (depending on the console(s) that I have by then)..
But is not like I'm dying to get it..
GoldenEye was fun and great..for it's time..it still kinda fun now in 2008; but is not like similar or even better (relatively speaking) games hasn't been made.

Evander

"industry expert"
Dark Octave said:
And that's supposed to mean...?

That there are various sides locked in a bitter rivalry over who should get control of it, and if control is split, who gets what part, while the rest of the (gaming) world looks on, and just wishes that they'd get it all settled already.

Also, it has explosions.

Vinci

Danish
Drensch said:
I've seen some dumb threads on gaf before, but this one is certainly leading the pack for dumbest collective thread of the year.

I'd vote for it. The fact that it's continued for this long and still gets posts like "Iwata should die" is something GAF should be ashamed of.

Use some critical thinking here, folks. This is bullshit. Move on. Find some other reason to hate on Nintendo if you're so interested in doing so. I hear Friend Codes suck?

So nintendo should just be glad with a port while xbox360 owners would get an enhanced version....dont know whats more ridiculous, the whole idea or the guys who say comments like "FU nintendo".....

Mamesj

Banned
Maloney said:

and then 10 different major corporations would sue Rare, moving them from "practically worthless acquisition" to "holy fuck, major liability"

xsarien

daedsiluap
radioheadrule83 said:
Even if the game was real, those events described by the Penny Arcade poster (and by proxy, the Xbox magazine) are unmitigated unverified bullshit.

Welcome to the Gaming Forum!

Vinci

Danish
Mamesj said:
and then 10 different major corporations would sue Rare, moving them from "practically worthless acquisition" to "holy fuck, major liability"

'Practically worthless'?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Vinci said:
I'd vote for it. The fact that it's continued for this long and still gets posts like "Iwata should die" is something GAF should be ashamed of.

Use some critical thinking here, folks. This is bullshit. Move on. Find some other reason to hate on Nintendo if you're so interested in doing so. I hear Friend Codes suck?
The best part of this whole thing is that there are currently 3 versions of this rumor floating around and none of them can agree on anything. Cancelled over money, cancelled because of Iwata being a pimp; The game was almost finished, the game was barely started; The game would have been released already, the game was still months away from now; The game was to receive minimum changes, the game was to receive a massize overhaul; Rare is working on other XBLA ports, Rare is not; Nintendo has no claim to the rights of the game, Nintendo does... some of those originate from within the same rumor. And we've treated all of them as gospel.

The EGM version of what happened is at least believable... unless you really want to trust that a secret insider/developer at Rare also has understands of Nintendo's management's decisions and is the only person in the world who understands the legal mess surrounding the Bond license.

jmdajr

Bluemercury said:
So nintendo should just be glad with a port while xbox360 owners would get an enhanced version....dont know whats more ridiculous, the whole idea or the guys who say comments like "FU nintendo".....

oh oh oh oh

I'm sorry

excuse me.....

AHEM*

(gets megaphone)

FUCK YOU NINTENDO

sorry about that mix up. :D

Gigglepoo

Bluemercury said:
So nintendo should just be glad with a port while xbox360 owners would get an enhanced version....

If it was an unenhanced port, why would Rare be handling it? Certainly, Nintendo has better emulation software than Rare.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Wait, so XBLA was gonna get a fully fledged (probably online version) of GoldenEye and Nintendo was gonna get nothing but a bare-bones VC release. NUTS to that!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know, if someone wanted to clear some of this up, they could just check with the US Copyright office and see who currently owns the copyright for the N64 Goldeneye game.

Cheerilee

radioheadrule83 said:
You believe Reggie is a for-the-gamers kind of guy
I was very pleasantly surprised to read it, but I wouldn't say I "believe" it yet.

but Iwata is some kind of spoil sport?
I think Iwata is two-faced. I think that for all his pretty words, he's got a side to him that's uglier than Yamauchi (which is why Yamauchi picked him), and Yamauchi has done far worse than simply threaten that it would strain their relationship with him if they didn't do as he commanded.

JoshuaJSlone said:
That doesn't read to me like licensed games are part of what they're talking about, but original characters/franchises.
Yeah, they're talking about IP, but what does it say about ownership of the game code? Nintendo owned everything (both IP and game code) but somehow they went in with tweezers and pulled bits of IP out of some games, and left the rest with Rare. What does that say about the game code of one game where nobody owned the IP (since it was rented)? Why would Nintendo keep that particular game code after giving up others?

If Nintendo doesn't own the game code to Goldeneye anymore, then the scenario of the remake being made and Iwata being a dick makes sense. If Nintendo still owns it, then the rights needed for a remake are too messed up and this thing's existence may just be a hoax.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ruby, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but you said..

ruby_onix said:
Actually, that's a misconception. The "Rare" that published some of Rare's games was a dummy company set up with Nintendo money and owned 100% by Nintendo. It was listed in their financial reports. It was a trick. A marketing/branding thing.

Which implies that Nintendo would own ALL games Rare had any hand in developing. But then the interview, which you, yourself posted says:

Chris: Well, the two properties that go back to Nintendo are Donkey Kong and Star Fox. The rest of the IP actually comes back to Rare.

Why would those IPs come back to Rare if they never owned them in the first place?

Also, I'm surprised how no one from any side, Nintendo, Rare, MS, or Activision have come out to clarify who owns what of GE007.

nestea

I was going to post in this thread a long time ago, but then I thought to myself "Hey, this is a pretty stupid baseless accusation over an outdated game that I could just play on the PC with enhanced visuals and a 360 controller. I should just ignore it and let the thread die.".

11 pages and going strong. Seriously, wtf?

Cheerilee

Oblivion said:
Why would those IPs come back to Rare if they never owned them in the first place?
Because Rare "felt" they had ownership of them, as their creators, and because the nature of Nintendo/Rare's relationship meant they had free access to those IP's.

Rare was always working under the "work for hire" rules. In the beginning, Nintendo would hire Rare to make a game, and give them wide latitude to create whatever they wanted. Rare would make the game, and Nintendo would own the game and IP. And then Nintendo would publish/distribute the game.

Later on, Nintendo got the idea to set up a Fake Rare. Nintendo told people (mostly the media) that Rare was "self-publishing" a game. The Fake Rare (a disguised hand of Nintendo) would hire the Real Rare to make a game, and give them a wide latitude to create whatever they wanted (but now Rare looked like a cool indie publisher to their fans, and Nintendo looked more squeaky-clean than ever to the soccer moms). The Real Rare would make the game, and the Fake Rare (and through them, Nintendo) would own the game and IP. Then the Fake Rare would pay (Nintendo, of course) the money needed to publish the game, and would "hire" Nintendo (lulz) to distribute the game (so nobody ever wondered why Rare-published games would show up at stores in Nintendo trucks and boxes).

In this way, Rare never owned anything. Even though Nintendo said they owned the game code to Goldeneye (because they didn't own the IP) a long time ago, it doesn't mean Rare doesn't own it now, because Nintendo owned a lot of things that Rare now owns.

ruby_onix said:
Because Rare "felt" they had ownership of them, as their creators, and because the nature of Nintendo/Rare's relationship meant they had free access to those IP's.

Rare was always working under the "work for hire" rules. In the beginning, Nintendo would hire Rare to make a game, and give them wide latitude to create whatever they wanted. Rare would make the game, and Nintendo would own the game and IP. And then Nintendo would publish/distribute the game.

Later on, Nintendo got the idea to set up a Fake Rare. Nintendo told people (mostly the media) that Rare was "self-publishing" a game. The Fake Rare (a disguised hand of Nintendo) would hire the Real Rare to make a game, and give them a wide latitude to create whatever they wanted (but now Rare looked like a cool indie publisher to their fans, and Nintendo looked more squeaky-clean than ever to the soccer moms). The Real Rare would make the game, and the Fake Rare (and through them, Nintendo) would own the game and IP. Then the Fake Rare would pay (Nintendo, of course) the money needed to publish the game, and would "hire" Nintendo (lulz) to distribute the game (so nobody ever wondered why Rare-published games would show up at stores in Nintendo trucks and boxes).

In this way, Rare never owned anything. Even though Nintendo said they owned the game code to Goldeneye (because they didn't own the IP) a long time ago, it doesn't mean Rare doesn't own it now, because Nintendo owned a lot of things that Rare now owns.
This is interesting, but doesn't that mean Nintendo owns things like Perfect Dark and Conker, which saw life on the XBox/360?

LCGeek

formerly sane
ShockingAlberto said:
This is interesting, but doesn't that mean Nintendo owns things like Perfect Dark and Conker, which saw life on the XBox/360?

Those were actual rare products from the get go and I don't see how that poster was referring to them. I'm wondering why rare never made a sequel to blast coprs.

Cheerilee

ShockingAlberto said:
Rare's said on a number of occasions that Nintendo could've fucked them up the ass on the matter of IP's, but that they didn't, quite the opposite, they were actually great about the whole thing. It wasn't that Nintendo could've dragged things out in court for a few years over what the rights of a "publisher" are. It's that Nintendo sold those rights to Rare simply because they knew those games meant more to Rare than they did to Nintendo. Question is, was Goldeneye one of those games that meant something to Rare?

And yes, that means that Nintendo basically sold some major franchises to Microsoft, their competition, but Nintendo doesn't want to dwell on that part of it, and MS is big enough not to rub it in their faces.

LCGeek said:
Those were actual rare products from the get go and I don't see how that poster was referring to them. I'm wondering why rare never made a sequel to blast coprs.
No, I was referring to them too. I think Sabrewulf (from Killer Instinct) might be the only IP from Rare's Nintendo-era that Rare actually owned.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Some juinior, castaspellingb, wanted me to post this thinks it relevant. This could've changed with the sale to rare but it's like nintendo would still have some stake in the game despite what others are trying to insinuate.

Here is some information from the US Copyright file for Goldeneye 007:

Goldeneye 007.
Type of Work: Computer File
Registration Number / Date: PA0000815731 / 1997-08-28
Application Title: NUS-NGEE-USA.
Title: Goldeneye 007.
Edition: N64 version.
Description: Videogame.
Copyright Claimant: Nintendo of America, Inc., Rare, Ltd.
Date of Creation: 1997
Date of Publication: 1997-08-25
Authorship on Application: audio-visual materials and computer program: Rare, Ltd., employer for hire.
Previous Registration: Motion picture prev. reg. 1996, PA 767-549.
Basis of Claim: New Matter: audio-visual work; program.

Names: Nintendo of America, Inc.
Rare, Ltd.

however, the next file is in regard to promotion and packaging:

Type of Work: Visual Material
Registration Number / Date: VA0000874133 / 1997-09-12
Title: Goldeneye 007.
Edition: [N64 version]
Description: Product packaging.
Series: Nintendo 64 ; NOAM-4-2480
Notes: Add. ti.: NUS-NGEE-USA.
Copyright Claimant: Nintendo of America, Inc.
Date of Creation: 1997
Date of Publication: 1997-08-25
Previous Registration: Prev. reg. 1996, PA 767-549.
Basis of Claim: New Matter: text.

Other Title: Nintendo 64 ; NOAM-4-2480
NUS-NGEE-USA

Names: Nintendo of America, Inc.

Nintendo, still, clearly owns part of the copyright

meh . You guys are getting upset over nothing. GE is no longer a AAA fps.
Everything is archaic.
Shitty animation, endless respawning enemies, and a weak aiming system.
Who cares, just play something else. There are tons of better fps now.

Everything or Nothing> Goldeneye

GeneralIroh said:
Everything is archaic.

I actually prefer that weak aiming system than the dual analog found in most fps for consoles.....

Kibbles

GeneralIroh said:
Everything is archaic.

According to the magazine which has actually played the updated XBLA title, unlike yourself, they managed to make it play very well and it plays much better with the 360 controller. I suggest you actually read the article before guessing on what the game is like.

Top Bottom