• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real Deal behind Goldeneye Cancellation

yoopoo

Banned
Having trouble believing in Mojo's sources.

"it's rumoured that the threat to Activision's relationship with Nintendo was enough for them to disband the project."

So if this game was to be released, nintendo would've not allowed activision on wii and ds? How does this not sound like a fantasy?

Evlar

Banned
If Nintendo was SO GODDAMN ADAMANT about Goldeneye never surfacing on another system why did they not make the rights to the code an issue when they sold Rare more than half a decade ago? If Rare has the rights it's because Nintendo agreed at that time to let them have it, and not hold up the sale on that point.

So what changed between then and now? (Nothing. Nintendo doesn't give a shit, they don't care about Goldeneye on 360 any more than they care about PD or Conker or Banjo.)

_dd_

neogaf1.gif

Kujo

Having trouble believing in Mojo's sources.
What, what, what? They're not my sources. Didn't you read, I just quoted the magazine briefly in the other topic, I don't necessarily believe this is the reason why the game didn't make it.

Endgegner said:
Well, what I meant was that Rare would imo add consideraby more geometry to a remake for xbla. To be honest I actually don't see any added geometry in the pic with the high res pictures (although it seems that the enemies look better, but I could be wrong).
Well they'd probably need to keep it under 150MB, they can't go too crazy with it. Anyway, snow has been modeled onto the sides of the bridge, making the top an ^ shape instead of just flat like the N64 version. Also the metal rails are now 3D and not 2D cutouts, and their positions have changed towards the middle, among a few other bits. And yes the characters and gun models have been remade with more polygons than before, as shown in the magazine and the other pictures. It's not a emulated version of the N64 game (with a new texture pack), at the very least. And it doesn't look like GE Source either.

As for the rumor about what happened behind the scenes, who knows, it's probably not very accurate. Aside from that, if someone faked the whole thing, they went through a lot of trouble to do so. The November screen, Youtube video and magazine screens seem to be from the same remake. Even after the Youtube video I thought, "meh, it's just a texture pack", looking at the other screens though, I've changed my mind.

yoopoo

Banned
Mojo said:
What, what, what? They're not my sources. Didn't you read, I just quoted the magazine, I don't necessarily believe this is the reason why the game didn't make it.
Read the first post... all it said was "Thanks to Mojo".

Redd

What's the big deal it's just freaking GoldenEye. Rare should just put the original Perfect Dark on XBLA allow Live multiplayer and fix the framerate. Why get pissy over the blocky looking Goldeneye. More hassle than it's worth imo.

Odrion

Banned
You do have to wonder why they invested resources and time into such a risky project when they could of just made "Perfect Dark Classic" or something.

The Sphinx said:
If Nintendo was SO GODDAMN ADAMANT about Goldeneye never surfacing on another system why did they not make the rights to the code an issue when they sold Rare more than half a decade ago? If Rare has the rights it's because Nintendo agreed at that time to let them have it, and not hold up the sale on that point.

So what changed between then and now? (Nothing. Nintendo doesn't give a shit, they don't care about Goldeneye on 360 any more than they care about PD or Conker or Banjo.)

I seriously doubt they knew we'd have the VC today...

LCGeek said:
Pains me too but if the deal went through nintendo gets fucked the worse despite what retro oriented gamers may think.

Yeah, Goldeneye was/is too big a deal to let MS have a superior-might-as-well-be-a-remake quality version, while Nintendo gets a high-res port.

SCReuter

More proof that it's not just a texture pack:

ge64vs360.jpg

The KF7 Soviet model is also noticeably different, even through the grainy YouTube video.

Evlar

Banned
xs_mini_neo said:
I seriously doubt they knew we'd have the VC today...

Yeah, Goldeneye was/is too big a deal to let MS have a superior-might-as-well-be-a-remake quality version, while Nintendo gets a high-res port.
VC/XBLA is hardly the only way to distribute older games and ports. The good ol' compilation disc and the classic-game-as-bonus-content have been around for decades. If Nintendo didn't have a problem with it then I doubt they would have a problem with it now.

Christopher

The best thing about Goldeneye IMO was the countless hours and good times I had when I was in 7th/8th grade just playing multiplayer with my friends - we really had some great times with titles like this and Mario Party.

But most of my friends don't play games no a days so it's useless to me - the one player wasn't all that, but it was fun. I don't think LIVE would capture the same essence of being with yoru friends, and being new to 3D FPS on consoles...good times.

LCGeek

formerly sane
evilromero said:

Easy

I love retro gaming but giving a remake of a huge franchise pretty much the console fps before halo and since it came out seeing as only halo can equal in terms of sales for in exchange for a vc backlog of something only a way more limited crowd could want isn't a fair exchange. Nintendo gets so much less in comparison out of this deal than what MS gains which is the furthering that 360 is the platform for fps games. Even if there was a Wii version unless it was equal, not possible since both online platforms suck, the 360 would get far more attentionin the end. There's no benefit to this deal for nintendo since they could easily argue it would drive hardware sales up I know it would for me as i'd buy a new 360 just to whoop people on xim again.

Iwata and Reggie did this as a business move nothing more.

MS is serious about this then maybe it's rabid fanbase should make it clear to give a fair deal to nintendo.

Pachael

The only thing that amuses me about is the image of Iwata cockblocking it at the last minute. Oh would I like to have been there when he said 'Kill it', and looking at MS and Rare shitting their pants.

The only thing that amuses me about is the image of Iwata cockblocking it at the last minute. Oh would I like to have been there when he said 'Kill it', and looking at MS and Rare shitting their pants.

I could kind of almost see him doing it just for the lulz.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Choke on the Magic said:
Seeing as Rare has the rights to the game, all MS would have to do is make Nintendo an offer they can't refuse.

This is nintendo we are talking about here they simply don't do things out of spite as this is one instance of it. Think a company that won't change a horrible online strategy will take a good deal no matter ms offer, think again.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
GoldenEye was the last FPS multiplayer game I ever played on a console. Haven't really looked back since.

fernoca

bigmakstudios said:
I could kind of almost see him doing it just for the lulz.
Yeah, after the Sakurai interviews, he seems to be always.. "loling"..

Iwata: So let's talk about Brawl?
Sakurai: Yeah!
Iwata: LOL
Sakurai: LOL
Iwata: Okay, let's be serious now.
Sakurai: I agree.

thefro

So why didn't EA & Rare release a Goldeneye remake for XBox right after Microsoft bought Rare if it was that easy?

The only logical explanation here is the whole story is fake (and there's a couple clear motives for that).

Oh yes, and the mag's only source for the stuff about Iwata is the poster at Penny-Arcade. :lol

Bah, MS should have passed on buying Nintendo's 49% stake in Rare.

I can't imagine Nintendo having any leverage over MS with Activision(/Blizzard)
Maybe MS needs to release a new buggy Vista patch to remind them that WoW pay's the bills.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Tyrannical said:
Bah, MS should have passed on buying Nintendo's 49% stake in Rare.

I can't imagine Nintendo having any leverage over MS with Activision(/Blizzard)
Maybe MS needs to release a new buggy Vista patch to remind them that WoW pay's the bills.

A company like activision would be proper fucked or taken down a notch if nintendo pulled out ds and wii from underneath them. Now they have blizzard but Wow eats money as they said, what are they gonna rely on GH to bulk up the rest of the crap they pump out?

LCGeek said:
A company like activision would be proper fucked or taken down a notch if nintendo pulled out ds and wii from underneath them. Now they have blizzard but Wow eats money as they said, what are they gonna rely on GH to bulk up the rest of the crap they pump out?
Other way around: Vivendi owns Activision.
thefro said:
So why didn't EA & Rare release a Goldeneye remake for XBox right after Microsoft bought Rare if it was that easy?

The only logical explanation here is the whole story is fake (and there's a couple clear motives for that).

Oh yes, and the mag's only source for the stuff about Iwata is the poster at Penny-Arcade. :lol
Now I might not have the issue, but I'm going to guess that, based on your points:
1) There's no chance in fuck that they could justify releasing Goldeneye on disc for Xbox 1, especially when they didn't have a clear idea of where they wanted to focus Rare's resources, and the idea only came around when they got this great distribution model.
2) Since they published this story, and put it right on the cover, they probably, oh, I don't know, went to Rare and Microsoft to talk to them about the game instead of just focusing on this dude from the Penny Arcade forums?

And please, tell me what these "clear motives" are for why the story would be fake (bonus points if you can work in an explanation for how the US Government did 9/11 into all this!!).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
fernoca said:
Yeah, after the Sakurai interviews, he seems to be always.. "loling"..

Iwata: So let's talk about Brawl?
Sakurai: Yeah!
Iwata: Okay, let's be serious now.
Sakurai: I agree.

Iwata: I hate videogames!
Sakurai: I'm whoring away my creative talent on fanservice garbage!

jman2050

I AM JOHN! said:
2) Since they published this story, and put it right on the cover, they probably, oh, I don't know, went to Rare and Microsoft to talk to them about the game instead of just focusing on this dude from the Penny Arcade forums?

Or they could be idiots. That's a distinct possibility as well, don't forget.

thefro

I AM JOHN! said:
Now I might not have the issue, but I'm going to guess that, based on your points:
1) There's no chance in fuck that they could justify releasing Goldeneye on disc for Xbox 1, especially when they didn't have a clear idea of where they wanted to focus Rare's resources, and the idea only came around when they got this great distribution model.

LOL, Goldeneye just sold as many copies as Halo 2 did... of course they could justify it. Heck, just adding online play would have gotten them a ton of sales. Why'd they release "Grabbed By the Ghoulies" and a "Conker" remake instead?

I AM JOHN! said:
Other way around: Vivendi owns Activision.

The whole section talking about why development was cancelled was prefaced by "As Oddjaw tells it". No comment from Nintendo, Activision, and only "We don't comment on rumors.." from Microsoft.

Gigglepoo

thefro said:

Maybe whoever owned the rights to the Bond license at the time (EA?) wouldn't cooperate.

M3wThr33

Banned
EA made a "SEQUEL" to Goldeneye. If they could have, they would have ported the original somehow. Just like they did with Fight Night and Punch Out.

Drensch

I've seen some dumb threads on gaf before, but this one is certainly leading the pack for dumbest collective thread of the year.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Gigglepoo said:
EA had their own Goldeneye. Why would they want a competing, more popular Goldeneye out there?

Because their sales of their goldeneye sucked in comparison to GE. How on earth did you forget N64 twine which tried desperately to take what GE established.

gdt

LCGeek said:
Because their sales of their goldeneye sucked in comparison to GE. How on earth did you forget N64 twine which tried desperately to take what GE established.

I remember that game as being pretty good. Was I wrong?

LCGeek

formerly sane
gdt5016 said:
I remember that game as being pretty good. Was I wrong?

Not at all I enjoyed like I enjoyed rage wars and moh, which was decent granted you understood the point of not running and gunning style fps. Twine was straight but it wasn't no GE.

fernoca

Gigglepoo said:
EA had their own Goldeneye. Why would they want a competing, more popular Goldeneye out there?
Actually, the old rumors said that EA had the intention of not only making a full sequel to GoldenEye, but also including the original game..

For some reason, they couldn't..heck, they couldn't even make an actual sequel and ended making a game that it's only thing related to GoldenEye was it's name. The original plan according to the rumor was to make Rogue Agent to basically be a remake of the first game, but played though a different point of view, as an agent trying to stop/kill Bond.

If that rumor was true, then it's obvious that there's something weird going on with the GoldenEye game, considering that if Nintendo was really that concerned about it, they wouldn't have allowed it to be named GoldenEye, much less considering that Rogue Agent was originally known as GoldenEye 2.

FightyF

Banned
JJConrad said:
I find it totally believable that Rare would ignore the many games they could bring to XBLA (including Perfect Dark) and instead work on a game with dozens of legal and licensing issues that had a snowball's chance of ever coming out.

Obviously it looks like it was greenlighted before they worked on it.

I want serious responses here people...

radioheadrule83 said:
I don't, for the record, think its entirely fake. I think the video on youtube is entirely real, but I think what we see in it looks substantially worse than what we see in the image of the dam. I know the youtube video is of much lower resolution and has artifacting, but there's some disconnect there, there's just something very different about it.

So I think that image and others could certainly be fakes. Its not impossible that the models have been ripped and someone has got this going in something else. I don't think its the upcoming HL2 mod either (although that would be amazing marketing by those guys wouldn't it?)

I think its probably from within Rareware, but just a messabout port... like Nintendo's various internal experiments with Stage Debut, Mario 128, or Factor 5's porting of Rogue Squadron to Wii. They were made, but not intended for release, or certainly not authorised by anybody in any such way that we can say this was ever close to coming out. Perhaps Rare did make this and put it out there because they want us to make some noise. Perhaps they feel they should be allowed to make it, but know damn well they can't.

So you THINK this and THINK that, that's fine, but what do you KNOW that discredits the story?

jman2050 said:
This thread makes me weep for the concepts of reading and research.

Hey wait, weren't you one of the ones claiming that this is fake? If you have evidence, share it with us, please.

thefro said:

The only logical explanation is that MS spent hundreds of millions of dollars to get Rare to diversify their lineup, and not to add another FPS to their roster immediately.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
drohne said:
Iwata: I hate videogames!
Sakurai: I'm whoring away my creative talent on fanservice garbage!

drohne: *troll*
GAF: *sigh*

watkinzez

Talladega Knight said:
Wait, sorry to get off topic, but real fast Factor 5 ported Rogue Squadron to Wii what????

They did it to test the figure out the Wii hardware before developing their new game. They're playing it in their office. It'll never come out.

G4life98

this whole deal sounds like bullshit....i am meant to believe that two major videogame companies who seek to make what is likely to be a big money deal with nintendo, would go through some guy at noa...NOA...NOA. thats like going through microsoft japan to get exclusive rights to halo.

and if ms and activision did try and do this deal without contacting ncl...then shame on them for being stupid.

M3wThr33

Banned
G4life98 said:
this whole deal sounds like bullshit....i am meant to believe that two major videogame companies who seek to make what is likely to be a big money deal with nintendo, would go through some guy at noa...NOA...NOA. thats like going through microsoft japan to get exclusive rights to halo.

and if ms and activision did try and do this deal without contacting ncl...then shame on them for being stupid.
There's a lot of stupidity here. Especially yelling at Nintendo for trying to stop a competitor from taking their IP.

jman2050

FightyF said:
Hey wait, weren't you one of the ones claiming that this is fake? If you have evidence, share it with us, please.

Whether the game actually exists or not is inconsequential, as it doesn't prove either way that the explanation regarding its cancellation is true. As far as THAT is concerned, it's pure hearsay. Even if it ended up being true, it's STILL speculation and unconfirmed rumor at this point. With a little bit of research and reading comprehension, one would understand that this is the case and think twice before responding as if it were truth.

Top Bottom