• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ridge Racer series has some of the best vg music

Labolas

The one game series's music no one talks about:
706005.png

Some of the best music in the series is produced by Sampling Masters aka Super Sweep and Namco Sound Team. The Sampling Masters consisted of Ayako Saso, Shinji Hosoe, Takayuki Aihara and Nobuyoshi Sano. Then after them, came the team consisted of Kohta Takahashi, Hiroshi Okubo, Asuka Sakai, Tetsukazu Nakanishi, and Koji Nakagawa. Most of these guys also worked on the music of the more popular franchise known as Tekken. Anyways I thought their work on the Ridge Racer was underappreciated. Thought I give some recommendations on their music on RR.

EdibleGlassGrosbeak-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Tomeru

why do people like electronic old music from the 2000s and 90s in video games. it has to be nostalgia. because its ear bleedingly annoying. there is nothing unique or personalized about electronic music it doesn't sound natural.

Youre still not at that level huh... I hope youll get there someday! Good Luck!

And op, what you state is not an opinion, it is fact.

Neff

Some of the best music in the series is produced by Namco Sound Team. The team consisted of Kohta Takahashi, Hiroshi Okubo, Asuka Sakai, Tetsukazu Nakanishi, and Koji Nakagawa. Most of these guys also worked on the music of the more popular franchise known as Tekken.

Nah son

The Ridge Racer/Tekken/UGSF Namco Sound Team aka Sampling Masters aka Super Sweep originally consisted of Ayako Saso, Shinji Hosoe, Takayuki Aihara and Nobuyoshi Sano. They did the music for the first four Ridge Racer games and the first three Tekken games. The guys you mention stepped in years later.

Still, a Ridge Racer music thread is always welcome.

Ah yes! This is a great thread. I'm a huge fan of the former Namco Sampling Masters team, and a equally huge fan of the work they did on the Ridge Racer titles.

Here are some of my absolute favorites:

(^ note: uses a sample from the Hardcore Techno group Holy Noise's Get Down Everybody)

(^ note: this uses a sample from Soul Blade's Siegfried's theme - Soul and Sword)

Last edited:

Labolas

Nah son

The Ridge Racer/Tekken/UGSF Namco Sound Team aka Sampling Masters aka Super Sweep originally consisted of Ayako Saso, Shinji Hosoe, Takayuki Aihara and Nobuyoshi Sano. They did the music for the first four Ridge Racer games and the first three Tekken games. The guys you mention stepped in years later.

Yeah, I screw up not noting these guys' work as well, but I'm more familiar with the guys that came after them. R4 was the first RR game that made me a fan of the music.

Edit: Also thanks everyone, you've made my RR playlist bigger as well.

Last edited:
The great thing about the Ridge Racer games is that they have been a part of my life since 1993. Man, I will never forget seeing the game turning from daytime to nighttime while racing. If you take into consideration that they have infectious, and just awesome soundtracks, one could understand how much impact it had on us gamers over the years.

My personal favorite game in the entire franchise will always be Ridge Racer Revolution, a PlayStation exclusive, but I enjoyed all the other games as well. It was the franchise that made me delve deeper into this collective called Namco Sampling Masters, and their individual works and contributions of other games. I did find out for instance, that one of my favorite video game soundtracks of all-time, of Dragon Spirit, was composed by Shinji Hosoe. Ayako Saso and Nobuyoshi Sano also have made great soundtracks of games I liked but had no clue of it's composers at the time.

Some of their solo works and some of their post-Namco collaborations are just awesome, especially the Nanosweep albums.

Fox102383

Neo Member
Ridge Racer Type 4, is the one racing game That has stuck with me through all these years. Till this day, i will pop it in my playstation 1 and let the intro video play all the way through.

The only other racing game,that sits on par with it. As far as intro music for me goes,is Gran Turismo 2 on playstation 1.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Even though GT Sport is the new hype, SONY could handle 2+ racers easily, with GT Sport caring the work load and having Ridge Racer just be awesome.

Birdo

Banned
I used to put the original PSX Ridge Racer in my CD player to listen to the music. It was like a free soundtrack CD built into the game.

I used to put the original PSX Ridge Racer in my CD player to listen to the music. It was like a free soundtrack CD built into the game.

I tried that with tons of games, ever since the Demo 1 disc I got with my PlayStation, always trying if the second track was playable. Used to record some soundtracks on cassette when renting games, haha. But most games good enough to purchase, which I did.
Great times.

Mojoraisin

What the hell are you talking about? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Good attempt at trolling though, this made me laugh.
Haha, not trying to troll but thanks. :messenger_beaming: The topic was so definitive in its statement I just had to join in. I seriously think some of it does. Says more about how I spend my time than anything else I suppose.

Music's so subjective. Carry on!

V2Tommy

why do people like electronic old music from the 2000s and 90s in video games. it has to be nostalgia. because its ear bleedingly annoying. there is nothing unique or personalized about electronic music it doesn't sound natural.

You should be put on some sort of government watchlist for an opinion like that.

Also, try capitals and punctuation if you’re trying to sound smarter than all of us deaf people who love good music.

Gargus

Banned
I miss the ridge racer games. Not just because they were a lot of fun and challenging without too much tension, but they had a great flow and feeling to them. But yes the music was great for the games because it was nice to listen to and complimented the game without ever being too obtrusive.

I seem to remember 1 and 2 having my favorite music.

Animagic

Banned
The one game series's music no one talks about:
706005.png

Some of the best music in the series is produced by Sampling Masters aka Super Sweep and Namco Sound Team. The Sampling Masters consisted of Ayako Saso, Shinji Hosoe, Takayuki Aihara and Nobuyoshi Sano. Then after them, came the team consisted of Kohta Takahashi, Hiroshi Okubo, Asuka Sakai, Tetsukazu Nakanishi, and Koji Nakagawa. Most of these guys also worked on the music of the more popular franchise known as Tekken. Anyways I thought their work on the Ridge Racer was underappreciated. Thought I give some recommendations on their music on RR.

EdibleGlassGrosbeak-max-1mb.gif

Hell yes! I listen to it all the time!

Kokoloko85

Id love a new Type 4 Ridge Racer.
I still boot up Type 4 and PSP Ridge Racer to chill n music.

Im not good at racers but PSP Ridge Racer Id take any challenge lol

Naibel

The soundtrack of R4 is one of the best ever made, everybody knows that, but Ridge Racer V also has a sick soundtrack, a lot rougher and should I say more hardcore, but one that always gets my blood pumped and my adrenaline level go sky-high ! Very underrated OST. The PSP soundtracks were very good as well. I love how the menu theme in there gains layers as you go deeper into the sub-menus.

The Ridge Racer experience wouldn't be as impactful or memorable without the incredible work done by Namco's supremely talented team of composers.

wisozp

Neo Member
Ridge Racer got me into electronic music, simple but catchy fast paced tunes from RR 1 to atmospheric drum and bass tunes of RR 4
to house beats of RR 8 it has always been a musical experience playing Ridge Racer.
RIIIDGE RAACCEERR!! << insert E3 jokes here<<

namco had some great ppl making music back in days, from rr to tekken to ac
kinda sad to hear some tekken 7 tunes :(

Top Bottom