• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to EVO 2011: Retrospective and Discussion

USD

Ustream has had a lot of issues lately, on top of the ones it's had forever (being bloated in general). I've started to watch Ustream on external players (GOM) lately, which alleviates some of the problems, but even the chat causes memory problems.

I'm assuming Sp00ky has a back-up plan for fuck-ups, because I can see it happening already.
scytheavatar said:
What's the justification for switching from Justin to Ustream? Ustream sucks big time.
From what I've heard, Ustream has better copyright protection for content. I don't know the entire story though.

Doomshine

Tizoc said:
Silly question but...say I want to watch both SSF4 and MK streams at the same time (will watch on my HDTV), how would I go about doing that?
If the Evo streams get added to warpprism.com in time you could use that.

Ustream, huh? Ugh, ustream eats memory like a motherfucker. So is this switch all about protecting their content?

USD

ARXIN said:
How do you use gom for ustream?
You need the CID for the stream, which you can find in the embed link. Then open up GOM, Right-click → Open → URL... The format is www.ustream.tv/flash/live/CID. For the two EVO streams it should be the following:

evo-1 (evo2011): http://www.ustream.tv/flash/live/8670236
evo-2 (evo2011bonus): http://www.ustream.tv/flash/live/8670247

You can also just click on the above for a direct link to the stream, but I like having it external so that if the stream fucks up, it won't crash my browser.

Also the other channel for EVO is www.ustream.tv/channel/evo-2 (which re-directs to www.ustream.tv/evo2011bonus). The actually channel url for the main stream is www.ustream.tv/channel/evo-1.

Thanks you.Will be using this for sure.

I read VLC can also do this any clue which one is better?

Also is there anyway to do this with justin tv streams?

I just prefer not using a browser if I don't need to.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ustream now has some premium membership thing. Too lazy to check up on details now. If it's anything like JTV, it's not really worth it unless you watch streams 24/7.

Guanoape

Neo Member
At least Ustream has a better Android app than Justin for when I'm away from my computer. Other than that though...

USD

ARXIN said:
Thanks you.Will be using this for sure.

I read VLC can also do this any clue which one is better?

Also is there anyway to do this with justin tv streams?

I just prefer not using a browser if I don't need to.
I'm sure you can use other media players, though I've never tested it anything other than GOM.

As for Justin.tv, I don't know of a way to open it in an external player, though I haven't really looked for a solution.

Ravidrath

Skullgirls will have a pretty big presence at EVO, and I'd really like to get feedback from GAFfers in attendance.

If you're going, I'd love to hear feedback on the game from you, especially if you aren't someone that currently posts in the Skullgirls thread, or even if you don't like the game at all.

This is our best opportunity to get a wide range of really good feedback on the game from fighting game fans, so PM me or post in the thread if you play it and have impressions you want to share. I think by going through GAF I can get more detailed feedback, as well as some back-and-forth going.

We take feedback very seriously and have been known to immediately change things based on well thought-out forum posts or in-person feedback.

notworksafe

24 hours from now I'll be in Vegas and already working on a drunk! Can't wait! :D

And I'll come see you guys for sure, Ravi (though you might not notice me, I don't look much like Shaq in person. :p). Been lurking the Skullgirls thread for a while and the game looks super awesome!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tizoc said:
They will stream their interviews regarding Skullgirls, SF3: 3S Online and KoF XIII right?
I'm wondering myself if the UMvC3 panel will be streamed.

USD, when will the EVO 2011 thread go up?

Ravidrath

Tizoc said:
They will stream their interviews regarding Skullgirls, SF3: 3S Online and KoF XIII right?

I haven't gotten word on whether or not all the panels will be streamed, but we're going to record the Skullgirls panels ourselves anyway.

notworksafe said:
24 hours from now I'll be in Vegas and already working on a drunk! Can't wait! :D

And I'll come see you guys for sure, Ravi (though you might not notice me, I don't look much like Shaq in person. :p). Been lurking the Skullgirls thread for a while and the game looks super awesome!

I'm not going to be there, unfortunately, but I really am looking forward to more GAFfers getting their hands on it.

_dementia said:
Good to hear SSFIV is the main event again. With the new version on the horizon, Marvel is definitely less hype.

Despite not even owning the game, I find a good SF match- even AE- is still more entertaining than Marvel. Marvel is 10000mph all the time, whilst the excitement in SF has troughs and peaks... it's hard to describe, but none the less, I agree, AE being the main event is a good time indeed.

Why are they doing ustream again? What was wrong with Justin last year? That hiccup during grand finals wasn't the website's fault.

Lothars

_dementia said:
Good to hear SSFIV is the main event again. With the new version on the horizon, Marvel is definitely less hype.

That's dissapointing, SSFIV is fun to watch but I don't think it holds a candle to watching MVC3, I just love how fast pace it is and how fun it is to watch.

I really hope next year that MVC3 is the main event.

MattyH

here is the times from vegas time to GMT
Friday

8:00 AM – 6:00 PM: Pool Play, SSF4:AE, Mortal Kombat 4PM-2AM
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Quarterfinals, SSF4:AE, Mortal Kombat 2AM-4AM
8:00 PM – 11:00 PM: Semifinals, SSF4:AE, Mortal Kombat 4AM-7AM

Sat

8:00 AM – 6:00 PM: Pool Play, MvC3, Tekken, Blazblue 4PM-2AM
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Quarterfinals, MvC3 2AM-4AM
8:00 PM – 11:00 PM: Semifinals, MvC3 4AM-7AM
12:00 AM: MvC3 EC vs. WC 5 on 5 Exhibition 8AM

Sun

10:00 AM: Blazblue Finals 6PM-8PM
12:00 AM: Tekken 6 Finals 8PM
2:00 PM: Mortal Kombat 9 Finals 10PM
3:30 PM: SF3 Third Strike Exhibition 11:30PM
5:00 PM: Marvel Vs Capcom 3 Finals 1AM
6:30 PM: Screening, Balrog: Behind the Glory.
7:00 PM: SSF4:AE Finals 3AM
9:00 PM: Closing Ceremonies 5AM

Neki

Green Scar said:
Despite not even owning the game, I find a good SF match- even AE- is still more entertaining than Marvel. Marvel is 10000mph all the time, whilst the excitement in SF has troughs and peaks... it's hard to describe, but none the less, I agree, AE being the main event is a good time indeed.
different strokes for different folks. nothing is more hype than someone beating down a phoenix team.

Shingin

scytheavatar said:
What's the justification for switching from Justin to Ustream? Ustream sucks big time.

My guess is that Ustream is able do stat tracking for streams which JTV does not do at all. The stat tracking ustream it does is basic unless you have a watershed account.

The really bad thing about ustream it forces a bitrate and res to viewer which they have to use in order to view the stream. If the viewer cant keep up with the settings the streamer has put it you'll get choppy video. JTV lets you get around this by having several lower quality restreams which allow people with less bandwidth to still see the stream. JTV does have an issue where if the sound frequency and bandwidth is too high then all the other restreams will get sound desync.

As for archives I don't know what they will be doing this year but with us they didnt want us to archive anything from last year. If your looking for footage from evo2k11 then you'll need to check here http://www.youtube.com/user/evo2kvids

USD

Just posted the EVO thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438763

Shingin-Leveluplive said:
My guess is that Ustream is able do stat tracking for streams which JTV does not do at all. The stat tracking ustream it does is basic unless you have a watershed account.

The really bad thing about ustream it forces a bitrate and res to viewer which they have to use in order to view the stream. If the viewer cant keep up with the settings the streamer has put it you'll get choppy video. JTV lets you get around this by having several lower quality restreams which allow people with less bandwidth to still see the stream. JTV does have an issue where if the sound frequency and bandwidth is too high then all the other restreams will get sound desync.

As for archives I don't know what they will be doing this year but with us they didnt want us to archive anything from last year. If your looking for footage from evo2k11 then you'll need to check here http://www.youtube.com/user/evo2kvids
I really get the feeling that choosing Ustream is a bad idea. I'm sure EVO has its reasons, but there's definitely a reason why just about every major broadcaster in video games has switched to JTV. Even the Japanese are starting to look at Justin/Twitch as a viable option.

I'd gladly eat crow if everything runs relatively smoothly though.

Hex

Banned
I am fucking pissed that I could not get any of fri or sat off, but am at least glad that I will be able to watch Sunday fully.
Hopefully someone will be archiving the hell out of this.

Just watched the Mike Ross documentary.

I've been a fan of his but its good to see that he has a head on his shoulders and a grip on reality without stopping himself from having fun or doing what he enjoys.

Well done.

Hey guys, in Vegas here walking around PH. Most bigger names are in the city already, def saw haunts, socal big names and tokido/mago already at Rio. Was funny watching real life stream monsters get starstruck :p

Moving from Bally's to Rio tonight, gonna try to troll for some games after seeing more of Vegas.

Cels

Killa Sasa said:
Hey guys, in Vegas here walking around PH. Most bigger names are in the city already, def saw haunts, socal big names and tokido/mago already at Rio. Was funny watching real life stream monsters get starstruck :p

Moving from Bally's to Rio tonight, gonna try to troll for some games after seeing more of Vegas.

Go to the insert coins preparty, you'll definitely see a lot of people there.

BannedEpisode said:
Just watched the Mike Ross documentary.

I've been a fan of his but its good to see that he has a head on his shoulders and a grip on reality without stopping himself from having fun or doing what he enjoys.

Well done.

I think I'll watch tonight, after seeing the trailer for 88 the Movie I feel obliged to watch any long-form video featuring Mike. :lol

MattyH

_dementia said:
I'll log in for the Evo promo items, but I'll watch most of it on ustream.

yeah im gonna log into my us account for the items caus i dont think its on Euro home

Top Bottom