• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to EVO 2011: Retrospective and Discussion

Rice-Eater said:
Another legendary EVO match. This one wasn't close, actually it was rape. But it was a huge wake up call to the US. Back then, nobody was playing Urien, and the people who did had no idea how good Aegis Reflector was. Tokido showed America the character and the Super Arts potential, along with unblockables set ups that America has never seen before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6hZKF5CcNQ

On a lesser note, people playing Yun were also not using Genei-Jin. Mester showed the power of genei-jin.

A very good match to point out.

I was playing 3S seriously back then and I remember watching this video and freaking out. There was at least one other major wake-up call for the US before this: I can't remember when exactly it was, but Chikyuu Sodom and I believe Sugiyama came to B3 and went something like 60-1 or so against strong US players, playing Twelve and Necro respectively. That was when a lot of people realized that we still didn't know nearly enough about the game.

We still don't. : /

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
adversesolutions said:
A very good match to point out.

I was playing 3S seriously back then and I remember watching this video and freaking out. There was at least one other major wake-up call for the US before this: I can't remember when exactly it was, but Chikyuu Sodom and I believe Sugiyama came to B3 and went something like 60-1 or so against strong US players, playing Twelve and Necro respectively. That was when a lot of people realized that we still didn't know nearly enough about the game.

We still don't. : /
3S : Japan :: MvC2 : U.S.

We'll narrow the gap with OE, at least.

SamVimes

The difference is that only U.S. played MvC2.

Still, most of the top players from Japan preferred cvs2 so it wasn't like they played only 3rd strike.

I understand that no matter what there are going to be groups of death that are a little tougher than others, but I still don't understand there being an MK pool with Chris G, FloE and JWong.

I'd think at least JWong and Floe would be separated for regional seeding, both Chris G and JWong have won major MK tourneys and Floe has been top 8 in several I believe.

One of those guys getting knocked out in initial pools is crazy business.

BadWolf said:
How do US and Japan compare in CVS2?
In CvS2 Japan took:
All of top 6 at Evo 2002
All of top 4 at Evo 2003
1st and 8th at Evo 2004
1st, 2nd, 3rd and two tied for 5th at Evo 2005
1st and one of the 5th place ties at Evo 2006
3 of the top 8, including 1st at Evo 2007
2nd and one 5th place tie at Evo 2008

Choi was the only American to win CvS2 at Evo during the game's 7 year run.

BadWolf

_dementia said:
In CvS2 Japan took:
All of top 6 at Evo 2002
All of top 4 at Evo 2003
1st and 8th at Evo 2004
1st, 2nd, 3rd and two tied for 5th at Evo 2005
1st and one of the 5th place ties at Evo 2006
3 of the top 8, including 1st at Evo 2007
2nd and one 5th place tie at Evo 2008

Ouch, thanks man.

So any expectations on how long it will take before the matches will be on youtube? I'm not sure if I can streammonster and am worried about knowing al the results before seeing anything...

Any non-spoiler threads coming or anything??

danmaku

ShinHayase said:
So any expectations on how long it will take before the matches will be on youtube? I'm not sure if I can streammonster and am worried about knowing al the results before seeing anything...

I hope the streams will be available on justin.tv and/or ustream after the event... I won't be at home this weekend and I don't want to wait weeks before the matches go on youtube.

Number45

ShinHayase said:
I'd love this (although I'm not convinced I'll be able to avoid anything what with various Twitter and RSS feeds), I'm pretty much tied up the entire weekend. :(

Ledsen

USD said:
So MarlinPie is going EVO after all. Doesn't have a plane ticket (might have to go Greyhound Warrior, haha), but he registered. He'll be trying to collect donations to help out.

Lud (formerly of DMG) isn't going. Sad, there are practically no Chun players left in the US.

Also, Kyohei's M.O.D.O.K. is godlike.

Heh, beaten.

What happened to Shizza?

USD

Ledsen said:
What happened to Shizza?
He want on an indefinite break. He's pretty much out of the scene now, the last tournament I remember him attending was EVO last year.

What up guys. I wish I was making it to Evo this year, but I'm not. At least I'm helping to get everybody favorite Ken to win one for TFA. Banana Ken... do it for us baby!

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Chauncy Talon said:
What up guys. I wish I was making it to Evo this year, but I'm not. At least I'm helping to get everybody favorite Ken to win one for TFA. Banana Ken... do it for us baby!

Shame, I wanted to see the cookie monster outfit again.

ShinHayase said:

My suggestion is stay away from GAF or any other message boards talking about this. And bookmark the ustream page of evo and look through the archives.

I will be at Evo exploring both Vegas and the fighting games. ST on a supergun? Yes please.

I also will be rooting for Asia. LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

Buzzati

Banned
ShinHayase said:

Team Spooky has over a year of stream coverage archived on Justin.tv. You'll be fine.

perfectnight said:
Speaking of CvS2, I will throw a god damn fit if Ono makes a new VS over CvS3. A god damn fit.

As someone who got into fighting games late in life with SFIV I'm always surprised that CvS2 was so big. I mean, I heard about games like MvC2 even when I didn't play them, but I don't even think I knew that CvS2 existed until a year or two ago. Seems like it had an impact in the FGC far beyond the gaming community at large. What made it so popular for fighting gamers. A big roster? Balance?

perfectnight said:
Speaking of CvS2, I will throw a god damn fit if Ono makes a new VS over CvS3. A god damn fit.
I'm hoping TvC : SFxT :: MvC3 : CvS3

TheFightingFish said:
As someone who got into fighting games late in life with SFIV I'm always surprised that CvS2 was so big. I mean, I heard about games like MvC2 even when I didn't play them, but I don't even think I knew that CvS2 existed until a year or two ago. Seems like it had an impact in the FGC far beyond the gaming community at large. What made it so popular for fighting gamers. A big roster? Balance?
6 grooves each with their own subsystems with a fairly large balanced roster (at least relative to MvC2). It was also the closest thing to a Street Fighter game with classic SF2 characters since most of SF3's cast was new. Having KoF and Fatal Fury characters from SNK didn't hurt its popularity either.

TheFightingFish said:

It's a great game, one of the deepest, most underrated fighting games ever made. The SNK games often get a bad rap for many good reasons but overall their roster of characters is probably more well designed and fun to play than the Capcom fighting game roster.

notworksafe

Love CvS2 beyond any other fighting game I've played. My only complaint about the game is Blanka being top tier. That's a big no-no, especially when my girl King is sub-basement tier. :p

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
isamu said:
Question:

Would you guys think that I am absolutely crazy and out of my gourd, if I told you how much I would LOVE to see a tournament of this magnitude.....but for RACING GAMES instead of Fighters? I mean seriously, how ridiculously awesome would it be, to see a racing game tournament with nothing but the best arcade racers you can ever imagine? Imagine the best drivers going at each other in a LAN environment in these games:

Rave Racer
Ridge Racer 5
Ridge Racer 6
Ridge Racer 7
Daytona USA
Daytona USA 2
Sega Super GT
Sega Rally Championship
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
F-Zero AX(yes there *is* a multiplayer LAN version)
GRID
Trackmania United Forever

....wow just wow. How many of you racing game fans drool at this idea? That would orgasmic to someone like me. Too bad fighting games are more popular than racing games :( :( :(

enzo_gt said:
As much as I love racing games, it wouldn't work out as well. Much like the problem with racing games themselves, the experiences and bursts of gameplay themselves drag on very long. So long that your average person's attention span cannot last that long. Yes, maybe some of the games on your list can provide those burst-fire kinds of gameplay to keep an audience entertained, but at the same time the amount of stuff to commentate would be at a bare minimum. You could comment on racing lines, pitting strategies, and not much else really. In real automotive racing, there are mechanical and meta-strategic kind of things to commentate on and hook viewers with, and viewership isn't the strongest either for long-winded events. Your average person would rather die than watch the 24 hours of Le Mans or Nurburgring.

With fighting games there is so much variety in terms of characters used, techniques used, new stuff brought to the table with every forthcoming tournament in order to counter other's strategies, much of this isn't suited to the racing genre as many racing games don't provide this level of complexity to pay attention to at once. Not a knock against racing games, part of the reason they still exist and are interesting is the simplicity.

A very thought provoking reply EnzoGT. Thanks for posting that. You do bring up some very good points. I honestly can't think of anything to argue or debate with, but I still think it would be cool nonetheless :)

Busaiku said:
The stream won't be on Spooky's JustinTV account.
It's not even gonna be on JustinTV.

I've faith in Spooky, but I just hope whatever he uses I can go to 240p (I live in an odd area) with no sound lag.

bluerei said:
Where did you hear this? I just talked to him on the phone the other day. Justin TV doesnt block foreign viewers on his channel anymore.

He meant before, when Spooky was using ustream as his standard.

Tizoc

Silly question but...say I want to watch both SSF4 and MK streams at the same time (will watch on my HDTV), how would I go about doing that?

Edgeward

You can pop out each stream with the option on the lower right of each stream window. Then just manage them like window panes.

Tizoc

Edgeward said:
You can pop out each stream with the option on the lower right of each stream window. Then just manage them like window panes.
Aha, so I can open one stream window for MK and one for SSF4, thanks.

Top Bottom