• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to EVO 2011: Retrospective and Discussion

USD

Always Godlike and Eternal Rival are doing a "Send MarlinPie and Demon Hyo to EVO 2011" raffle.

EijqB.jpg

There are several prizes, but the grand prize, which goes to the person with the highest overall donation, is pretty godlike:

70Wrc.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
OH MIKE ROSS!!

Im quite interested on the 'streaming' panel at EVO. Haunts do you know if tis going to be recorded?

Cuz if KOFXIII netcode is good im soo damn buying a capture card to stream.

USD said:
Always Godlike and Eternal Rival are doing a "Send MarlinPie and Demon Hyo to EVO 2011" raffle.

http://i.imgur.com/EijqB.jpg[IMG]

There are several prizes, but the grand prize, which goes to the person with the highest overall donation, is pretty godlike:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/70Wrc.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Wow Marlinpie is just now doing this? I told him to do this last month but he said it wouldn't work. I guess better late than never?

Pookmunki

One of the best threads on Gaf by far USD, great job!

When you see it laid out like that, with all the backstory it truely is a 'season' same as an F1 one would be.

EuroGaf here too, will test streaming via Playbook so I can be uninterrupted.

Cels said:
"WHAT AN ANSWER" is pretty old. It dates back to 2006 if not earlier.

There's a game in the Duc v. Sanford money match at EVO 2006 where Duc uses like 4(?) AHVB in a row, killing two characters, and I think Seth says "WHAT AN ANSWER" because prior to that point Duc was getting opened up, his Spiral was down and Sanford hadn't taken much damage yet. Youtube blocked at work, but I think it's Game #8 in the money match.

Actually it's the opposite. Duc was running a train on Sanford. He already killed on character and had Cable on the ropes(with about 10% health left) and Sentinal already losing 30% while still on screen as a assist character. It looks like Duc dropped a combo and that's when he got AHVP 5 times in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9FLu3fzC40

Truly an amazing match and a definitely one of the most memorable EVO matches of all time. And yeah, also the birth of "WHAT AN ANSWER".

Check in is up for EVO in case anyone is wondering. Here's mine:

* Super Street Fighter IV
* Station 5, Friday, 04:00 PM
Pool 81

* Marvel vs. Capcom 3
* Station 13, Saturday, 10:00 AM
Pool 28

So hype. I leave tomorrow at 5 am :D

From Friday, July 29th until the final battle on Sunday, July 31st we will be streaming the event live from the Rio Resort in Las Vegas to the PlayStation Home Theater. Watch as competitors from around the globe duke it out on PS3 across five competitions: Marvel vs Capcom 3, Tekken 6, Mortal Kombat, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II, and Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition. Players include 2009 and 2010 Street Fighter champion Daigo Umehara who will attempt an unprecedented “3-peat” victory. Along the way to his goal he’ll face one of the strongest fields of competitors ever assembled, including US legend Justin Wong, Korean wizard Poongko, French phenom Kayane, and UK champ Ryan Hart.

The purpose of this event is twofold: First, bring the world’s top fighting game competition directly to your PlayStation 3. Secondly, we have some new video streaming technology to test in the PlayStation Home Theater and what better opportunity than this? Join us for this special event and help us test this new video streaming technology by posting about your experience in GlassWalls’ EVO 2011 World Finals Stream Test thread on the official PlayStation Home forums. Attendees will receive a line of exclusive PlayStation Home/EVO virtual items: Visitors on Friday will receive a limited edition EVO t-shirt for their PlayStation Home avatar; on Saturday players will be rewarded with a special fighting stick companion item; and on Sun all viewers will receive a replica of the EVO trophy for their PlayStation Home personal spaces.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/07/25/watch-the-2011-evo-world-finals-live-in-playstation-home/

PS Home huh? Pretty damn cool. Maybe that is why they are using ustream? Or maybe it is a different stream entirely with the G4 guys talking.

Busaiku

_dementia said:
Kayane must have really leveled up if she's mentioned as France's representative instead of Starnab
Is Starnab coming?
Kayane and Ryan Hart are Madcatz, so that's why they'd get mentions.

W Hudson

I've had a blast stream monstering this year, so hyped for EVO. Never watched it before but looks like there is going to be a lot of viewing options this year. Only game I actually play is MK but Marvel is hands down my favorite to watch.

Good luck to all the GAF members participating and great job on the OP.

Playstation said:
Players include 2009 and 2010 Street Fighter champion Daigo Umehara who will attempt an unprecedented “3-peat” victory.
Justin Wong
Evolution (2001) - 1st
Evolution (2002) - 1st
Evolution (2003) - 1st
Evolution (2004) - 1st

My body is ready

Super Street Fighter IV
Station 7, Friday, 10:00 AM
Pool 26

Hope to see some of you guys there.

God's Beard said:
Justin Wong
Evolution (2001) - 1st
Evolution (2002) - 1st
Evolution (2003) - 1st
Evolution (2004) - 1st

Well they obviously didn't do there homework. But if Daigo repeats, he will have done it in the modern era, fighting games are exploding right now. There are tons of people attending and much much more watching. If he repeats, this means that he will have won 3 consecutive 1000+ man tourney, which would be unprecedented. Not taking anything away from Justin, but IMO winning and repeating nowadays is more impressive then the early days when most of the people attending this weekend had never even heard of EVO during those days.

W Hudson

Rice-Eater said:
Well they obviously didn't do there homework. But if Daigo repeats, this means that he will have won 3 consecutive 1000+ man tourney, which would be unprecedented.

Has there been any mention of the numbers they are expecting for AE and/or MvC3 this year? If there were 1800 entries in SSF4 last year, I'd imagine there will be at least 2000 for both games.

sephi22 said:
Holy shit. Is this the first time EVO got acknowledged by a console company?
I doubt it, considering SCEA were the ones to donate all the PS3s to them in the first place a couple of years ago.

sephi22

_dementia said:
My favorite is 2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ4Sg-IpOvE
List of Demands is a cool song too.
That's my favorite too. When I first saw it I thought it was a pretty cool trailer but I only recognized Justin because of the parry video.
I now recognize most of those faces. Fanatiq, John Choi, Combofiend, Tokido, Ryan Hart, Valle, and Ricky Ortiz just to name a few.

Compared to the older trailers, the Evo 2k11 trailer is pretty meh. I came when I saw the IPW/TS logos though

_dementia said:
I doubt it, considering SCEA were the ones to donate all the PS3s to them in the first place a couple of years ago.
Oh ok.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wasnt Mr Jared a former Home dev?

Hype!!! * Does the Home chicken dance *

Mr Jared

Fersis said:
Wasnt Mr Jared a former Home dev?

I was a CM of PlayStation Home. The two are unrelated.

And yeah, EVO 2008 trailer > * I still keep "List of Demands" on my annual EVO playlist.

Azure J

Hype is at critical levels. I just can't believe that I've been missing out on this stuff for so long. Stream monstering is just so much fucking fun, and now we're at the Super bowl of tournament experiences.

AzureJericho said:
Hype is at critical levels. I just can't believe that I've been missing out on this stuff for so long. Stream monstering is just so much fucking fun, and now we're at the Super bowl of tournament experiences.
I watched the last 4 rounds in 2010, and I am so happy I will actually be there this year. HYPE! :D

Regarding a meetup, I'll be there at least for the semis each night for a few minutes/hour at least. Drunk, of course. So if anyone wants to say hello I'll be in either silver or glow in the dark high tops. Or a suit. Easy enough to find. :D

My stream monster career began watching Teamspooky the week Vanilla SF4 came out. He and the crew have come a long way. This year has been hype as hell and EVO has the potential to eclipse it all. Lets go!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Question:

Would you guys think that I am absolutely crazy and out of my gourd, if I told you how much I would LOVE to see a tournament of this magnitude.....but for RACING GAMES instead of Fighters? I mean seriously, how ridiculously awesome would it be, to see a racing game tournament with nothing but the best arcade racers you can ever imagine? Imagine the best drivers going at each other in a LAN environment in these games:

Rave Racer
Ridge Racer 5
Ridge Racer 6
Ridge Racer 7
Daytona USA
Daytona USA 2
Sega Super GT
Sega Rally Championship
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
F-Zero AX(yes there *is* a multiplayer LAN version)
GRID
Trackmania United Forever

....wow just wow. How many of you racing game fans drool at this idea? That would orgasmic to someone like me. Too bad fighting games are more popular than racing games :( :( :(

It's deeply ironic that most weekends I have nothing to do----but this weekend, the weekend I most want to sit on my ass and stream monster it up I wound up with a date on Saturday and a good friend coming into town this weekend as well. Not that I'm upset about either of these happening it just would have been nice for it to have fallen a bit differently.

I'm hoping that there's some archives available somewhere.

Top Bottom