• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to EVO 2011: Retrospective and Discussion

Wallach

ThirtyPlus said:
My stream monster career began watching Teamspooky the week Vanilla SF4 came out. He and the crew have come a long way. This year has been hype as hell and EVO has the potential to eclipse it all. Lets go!

I didn't even know Team Spooky was streaming prior to them getting early SSF4.

smurfx

get some go again
woo i can't freaking wait. first evo i will watch. you bet your ass i will be stream monstering it up. i hope i can keep pissing off nerd josh.

isamu said:
Question:

Would you guys think that I am absolutely crazy and out of my gourd, if I told you how much I would LOVE to see a tournament of this magnitude.....but for RACING GAMES instead of Fighters? I mean seriously, how ridiculously awesome would it be, to see a racing game tournament with nothing but the best arcade racers you can ever imagine? Imagine the best drivers going at each other in a LAN environment in these games:

Rave Racer
Ridge Racer 5
Ridge Racer 6
Ridge Racer 7
Daytona USA
Daytona USA 2
Sega Super GT
Sega Rally Championship
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
F-Zero AX(yes there *is* a multiplayer LAN version)
GRID
Trackmania United Forever

....wow just wow. How many of you racing game fans drool at this idea? That would orgasmic to someone like me. Too bad fighting games are more popular than racing games :( :( :(
I think Evo ran Mario Kart DS one year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
isamu said:
Question:

Would you guys think that I am absolutely crazy and out of my gourd, if I told you how much I would LOVE to see a tournament of this magnitude.....but for RACING GAMES instead of Fighters? I mean seriously, how ridiculously awesome would it be, to see a racing game tournament with nothing but the best arcade racers you can ever imagine? Imagine the best drivers going at each other in a LAN environment in these games:

Rave Racer
Ridge Racer 5
Ridge Racer 6
Ridge Racer 7
Daytona USA
Daytona USA 2
Sega Super GT
Sega Rally Championship
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
F-Zero AX(yes there *is* a multiplayer LAN version)
GRID
Trackmania United Forever

....wow just wow. How many of you racing game fans drool at this idea? That would orgasmic to someone like me. Too bad fighting games are more popular than racing games :( :( :(
As much as I love racing games, it wouldn't work out as well. Much like the problem with racing games themselves, the experiences and bursts of gameplay themselves drag on very long. So long that your average person's attention span cannot last that long. Yes, maybe some of the games on your list can provide those burst-fire kinds of gameplay to keep an audience entertained, but at the same time the amount of stuff to commentate would be at a bare minimum. You could comment on racing lines, pitting strategies, and not much else really. In real automotive racing, there are mechanical and meta-strategic kind of things to commentate on and hook viewers with, and viewership isn't the strongest either for long-winded events. Your average person would rather die than watch the 24 hours of Le Mans or Nurburgring.

With fighting games there is so much variety in terms of characters used, techniques used, new stuff brought to the table with every forthcoming tournament in order to counter other's strategies, much of this isn't suited to the racing genre as many racing games don't provide this level of complexity to pay attention to at once. Not a knock against racing games, part of the reason they still exist and are interesting is the simplicity.

Cels

Rice-Eater said:
Actually it's the opposite. Duc was running a train on Sanford. He already killed on character and had Cable on the ropes(with about 10% health left) and Sentinal already losing 30% while still on screen as a assist character. It looks like Duc dropped a combo and that's when he got AHVP 5 times in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9FLu3fzC40

Truly an amazing match and a definitely one of the most memorable EVO matches of all time. And yeah, also the birth of "WHAT AN ANSWER".

What the hell are you smoking? Duc is the Spiral/Cable/Sentinel player. In fact, Duc invented high-level Spiral play.

You know nothing about MvC2 if you think SANFORD KELLY used SPIRAL.

Mœbius

Man this is so bittersweet, I'm hype as fuck and salty as fuck at the same time - I was so close to going to EVO this year but couldn't make it in the end.

All my friends competing have already left or are about to. The one saving grace is that my wife is going away on a trip with her friends this weekend so I can sit on my arse, order pizza, and stream monster it non-stop all weekend.

So (assuming the spreadsheet at Shoryuken is correct) some interesting pools I see so far (some because of possible quality, some just because there are "names" in them):

SFIVAE: Pool1: Wolfkrone, AfroCole, AndyOCR
Pool 5: Skisonic, James Chen (maybe not the best high level play, but weird)
Pool 23: Xian, Gootecks
Pool 46 (probably the group of death in AE): Lamerboi, PR Rog, Starnab, and Gackt

MVC3:

Pool1: Justin Wong, Gootecks, RF, AndyOCR
Pool12: ShadyK, RichardNguyen
Pool 35: Tokido, Mr. Naps, Chris Hu
Pool 54: Mike Ross, ClakeyD

Cels said:
What the hell are you smoking? Duc is the Spiral/Cable/Sentinel player. In fact, Duc invented high-level Spiral play.

You know nothing about MvC2 if you think SANFORD KELLY used SPIRAL.

Take it easy, it was a mistake. It was a great match regardless. I'm not much of a Marvel fan nowadays but I use to love playing and watching MvC2 back in the day.

Anth0ny

That fucking Marvel bracket is INSANE. Daigo vs. Filipino Champ first round?!? If Daigo can pull that one off... shit will get real.

Anyone going to EVO wanna meet up? I'll be there from wednesday ^_^

PsychoSoldier said:
So (assuming the spreadsheet at Shoryuken is correct) some interesting pools I see so far (some because of possible quality, some just because there are "names" in them):

Pool 46 (probably the group of death in AE): Lamerboi, PR Rog, Starnab, and Gackt

MVC3:

LOL after all that hype Gootecks is the one fighting the Singaporeans first round

With the emergence of Marvel vs Capcom 3, it looks like no game will topple SSF4 number of entrants from last year. At EVO 2K10, there was never a official number, but the numbers "almost 1700" and "over 1600" was constantly being thrown around. If every pool has exactly 16 people in it then going by this years numbers, AE leads the way with 1456 Marvel in 2nd with 1072, MK with 512, Blazblue with 208, and Tekken with 224. Of course I'm just going by the spread sheet right now which only list a pool with a confirmed known player. There could be a number of pools full of unknowns so the numbers should be higher for maybe every game(but especially Marvel and AE). So who knows, maybe AE does have more entrants then Super from last year, we just don't know yet.

God's Beard said:
Anyone going to EVO wanna meet up? I'll be there from wednesday ^_^

You have a console on you? If not then NO.

J/k, I'm down for a meet up. I'll be there Wednesday as well. It's just that I'm going with my girlfriend, so if you guys don't mind her, I'd love to participate in a GAF meet up and hopefully live casuals.

Bob White

I know I don't post much and you guys are probably like "who the fuck are you", but I'd be down to meet up. I'll be there from Thursday night with my girlfriend. Basically, I really want to get in on some no stress casuals.

quick edit : and I'll be bring my ASUS tv. If it's not casuals, I intend to be in the lab until it's time for me to play

Another legendary EVO match. This one wasn't close, actually it was rape. But it was a huge wake up call to the US. Back then, nobody was playing Urien, and the people who did had no idea how good Aegis Reflector was. Tokido showed America the character and the Super Arts potential, along with unblockables set ups that America has never seen before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6hZKF5CcNQ

On a lesser note, people playing Yun were also not using Genei-Jin. Mester showed the power of genei-jin.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
^.^

Just a few more days...

Check out some of our exclusive EVO items from Team Mad Catz in the coming days...

Noaloha

Mr Jared said:
Don't forget! Friday, 10AM.. Streaming panel. BE THERE OR... Be asleep, probably.
Shiiiit.. didn't realise things kicked off so early. That'll be, what, 5pm in the UK I think? I finish work at 4:30 sooo, gonna be a race to get home and stripped down to my underwear in time.

Cannot. Fucking. Wait.

any bars in NYC showing the EVO stream? Who am I kidding I know that won't happen.. Maybe 8 Bit and Up is showing it? Does anyone know of a venue?

danmaku

Rice-Eater said:
Another legendary EVO match. This one wasn't close, actually it was rape. But it was a huge wake up call to the US. Back then, nobody was playing Urien, and the people who did had no idea how good Aegis Reflector was. Tokido showed America the character and the Super Arts potential, along with unblockables set ups that America has never seen before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6hZKF5CcNQ

On a lesser note, people playing Yun were also not using Genei-Jin. Mester showed the power of genei-jin.

wtf is happening at the beginning of the match? I thought they were doing a button test but then they started fighting lol

Aeris130

danmaku said:
wtf is happening at the beginning of the match? I thought they were doing a button test but then they started fighting lol

In SFIII you can build meter just by wiffing normals. I'm guessing Capcom removed it in SFIV to avoid dumb shit like this.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
E-Mercenary said:
any bars in NYC showing the EVO stream? Who am I kidding I know that won't happen.. Maybe 8 Bit and Up is showing it? Does anyone know of a venue?

Next Level might be streaming it.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
PsychoSoldier said:

MVC3:

Gootecks is in trouble.

ShaneB

Was mentioned earlier, but this is indeed the Super Bowl of fighting games, I'm so damn pumped to watch all weekend. I'll either pray for poor weather to stay inside and not feel bad, or heck, nice weather and I'll just sit out on the deck and watch!

Top Bottom