• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to EVO 2011: Retrospective and Discussion

Master Milk said:
This is too funny. How do you play video games for a living and not know how to drive?
When you live in NYC it is retarded to drive, so no use getting a licence, a majority of us do not drive at all out here.

Amazing thread. Subbed.

Only thing I would say about the Op is that PR Balrog vs. Tokido needs to be highlighted more. Truly amazing play there by PR!

USD

If you missed Reno/Oichi's post in the AE thread, Evil Geniuses just signed fLoE, Momochi, and Choco.

And another tidbit, MastaCJ won't be going to EVO. I figured he wouldn't be, as he's cited money issues before (and he's no longer a member of EMP), but just heard confirmation from the man himself.

Too bad, I would have liked to see how well he did in Marvel.

USD said:
If you missed Reno/Oichi's post in the AE thread, Evil Geniuses just signed fLoE, Momochi, and Choco.

And another tidbit, MastaCJ won't be going to EVO. I figured he wouldn't be, as he's cited money issues before (and he's no longer a member of EMP), but just heard confirmation from the man himself.

Too bad, I would have liked to see how well he did in Marvel.

Aw man. No one brings the hype Dormammu play like Masta "Chairs killed my parents" CJ :(

USD

SRK has been throwing up a lot of details on EVO on the front page, so check that out. They also posted a list of some of the Japanese players coming. I'd heard that Kindevu was likely coming, guess this confirms it. Also have RF, the king of Sagat, so that means all of the SBO 2010 championship team (Momochi, Kindevu, RF) is coming.

Haven't been posting any significant updates; between RL, stream monstering and actually playing video games (occasionally), there aren't enough hours in the day.

Dahbomb

Viscant on WakeUp SRK says that if you don't pick Yun in AE you failed the IQ test.

Also if you don't have Wolverine or Phoenix on your team in MVC3... then you are probably trying too hard.

Gegz

Banned
This will be my first EVO, can't wait !

And we got lot of french players coming at EVO 2K11 : Kayane, StarNab, Evans, Cuongster...

I made a prediction a week or so ago and said that the US is going to have more Yun counters than Yun players. I'm going to retract that prediction with another.

The US is going to be free to Yun players because of so many people determined to learn to use him, and not to learn how to defeat him.

USD

Professor Beef said:
I made a prediction a week or so ago and said that the US is going to have more Yun counters than Yun players. I'm going to retract that prediction with another.

The US is going to be free to Yun players because of so many people determined to learn to use him, and not to learn how to defeat him.
I still say that the East Coast, particularly the Northeast, will run into trouble at EVO, just because there aren't that many top players playing the very top tiers. The lack of experience will definitely have its effect. I'm sure there be a lot of players everywhere trying to break it down, figure it out, adjust the spacing, etc., but who knows if it will be enough.

There was only one East Coast player (Golden Cen) to crack the Top 8 in SSFIV last year, wouldn't be surprised at a repeat.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Atlus and SNKP at EVO 2011
IRVINE, CALIFORNIA - ATLUS today announced plans to attend EVO 2011 (Las Vegas, NV) and Otakon (Baltimore, MD) with the console version of the upcoming THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII, the latest entry in the legendary fighting franchise, for PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system (PS3) and Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

In addition to providing playables on both show floors to allow attendees hands-on time with the game, ATLUS also revealed a panel at EVO 2011 (Saturday, 7/30 @ 10:00am PDT) with one of the producers from the KOF XIII development team,

Source

USD said:
I still say that the East Coast, particularly the Northeast, will run into trouble at EVO, just because there aren't that many top players playing the very top tiers. The lack of experience will definitely have its effect. I'm sure there be a lot of players everywhere trying to break it down, figure it out, adjust the spacing, etc., but who knows if it will be enough.

Golden Cen was the only East Coast player to crack the Top 8 in SSFIV last year, wouldn't be surprised at a repeat.
I would honestly love the chance to play several sets against a Yun on the level of Marn locally. Even more so if I was participating in EVO. That being said, I'm not sure Cen will be able to make it happen a second time, but I've been wrong before.

USD

Professor Beef said:
I would honestly love the chance to play several sets against a Yun on the level of Marn locally. Even more so if I was participating in EVO. That being said, I'm not sure Cen will be able to make it happen a second time, but I've been wrong before.
Oh, I meant that there was only one EC who made top 8. Didn't mean to imply that Cen would crack top 8 again, haha.

notworksafe

macuser1of5 said:
Great thread, really enjoyed the tourney recaps. Are we having a neogaf meetup down there?
Yeah I'd like to do one for sure. It's my first EVO so I'm not sure if there is a place GAF has met up before or when is a godo time.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
On the off-chance there's still anyone here interested in going who hasn't registered, registration closes in a little under 8 hours.

USD

Threw up a partial list of GAFers going to EVO in the OP, just of people from this thread (and recent posts in fighting game threads) who mentioned it. If you're going to EVO, post/PM/whatever and I'll put your name up.

Anyway, I wonder if Marn really isn't going to EVO. Would suck, considering how much he wants to win AE. I also wonder if he really is going to retire after EVO regardless.

jlai

USD said:
Threw up a partial list of GAFers going to EVO in the OP, just of people from this thread (and recent posts in fighting game threads) who mentioned it. If you're going to EVO, post/PM/whatever and I'll put your name up.

Anyway, I wonder if Marn really isn't going to EVO. Would suck, considering how much he wants to win AE. I also wonder if he really is going to retire after EVO regardless.

DBJ and I think AZ Greg are going too.

There's a pretty substantial indie game dev crew going, including at least one talented SSFIVAE player. Unfortunately my ass can't make it again this year.

Me and Eissan (along with 15 plus other people from our scene o_O) will be there. Leaving in a week from tomorrow, and can barely contain my hype. Another GAFfer I met there last year, Viewtiful_Dru will be there too.

Lulubop

Marlinpie is streaming some MvC3 casuals now. He said he's most likely going to evo, he just has to buy the ticket.

USD

So MarlinPie is going EVO after all. Doesn't have a plane ticket (might have to go Greyhound Warrior, haha), but he registered. He'll be trying to collect donations to help out.

Lud (formerly of DMG) isn't going. Sad, there are practically no Chun players left in the US.

Also, Kyohei's M.O.D.O.K. is godlike.

Heh, beaten.

USD

Registration for EVO is now closed.

Don't know the full story, but apparently Marlin got a sizable donation from a charitable stream monster, so it looks like he's all set for EVO now. Good shit to Tortonon.

SmokeMaxX

AFAIK, "WHAT AN ANSWER!" originated on our A.R.K. III stream and kinda blew up to be a tournament meme as well, spoken by the likes of Yipes and several other commentators. If you'd like to add it to the OP.

USD, Ryan Hart and Kayade are now under the banner of Team Madcatz. Thought it might be useful to update the opening post.

Edit: absolutely amazing thread just to say.

smurfx

get some go again
this will be the first evo that i watch live so i'm excited. i knew of evo before but i was not into the fighting scene back then. i'm really rooting for combofiend to win marvel. anything but phoenix players this year. i would love it if poongko took ae. mike ross taking ae would be the best thing ever but you know that won't happen.

zlatko

Banned
smurfx said:
this will be the first evo that i watch live so i'm excited. i knew of evo before but i was not into the fighting scene back then. i'm really rooting for combofiend to win marvel. anything but phoenix players this year. i would love it if poongko took ae. mike ross taking ae would be the best thing ever but you know that won't happen.

This looks like the best year ever to see it for your first time, because the line up of players from around the world for every game is THROUGH THE ROOF! I'm SUPER excited! :D

Cels

SmokeMaxX said:
AFAIK, "WHAT AN ANSWER!" originated on our A.R.K. III stream and kinda blew up to be a tournament meme as well, spoken by the likes of Yipes and several other commentators. If you'd like to add it to the OP.

"WHAT AN ANSWER" is pretty old. It dates back to 2006 if not earlier.

There's a game in the Duc v. Sanford money match at EVO 2006 where Duc uses like 4(?) AHVB in a row, killing two characters, and I think Seth says "WHAT AN ANSWER" because prior to that point Duc was getting opened up, his Spiral was down and Sanford hadn't taken much damage yet. Youtube blocked at work, but I think it's Game #8 in the money match.

SmokeMaxX

Cels said:
"WHAT AN ANSWER" is pretty old. It dates back to 2006 if not earlier.

There's a game in the Duc v. Sanford money match at EVO 2006 where Duc uses like 4(?) AHVB in a row, killing two characters, and I think Seth says "WHAT AN ANSWER" because prior to that point Duc was getting opened up, his Spiral was down and Sanford hadn't taken much damage yet. Youtube blocked at work, but I think it's Game #8 in the money match.
Hmmm, guess I'll have to talk to my commentators again then. Or maybe those guys brought it back or something. I hadn't heard it in recent times and after our stream, I started hearing it like every tournament.

bigmit3737 said:
I too am super excited for this EVO. I want to see more Poongko.
Is Poongko going for sure? Apparently he's had to start taking donations for a trip there, according to the stream yesterday.

brb

_dementia said:
Is Poongko going for sure? Apparently he's had to start taking donations for a trip there, according to the stream yesterday.

In a crosscounter interview with gootecks he said he would love to go but probably couldn't due to financial reasons. Hopefully he will somehow make it, so much fun watching him at shadowloo.

Top Bottom