• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to EVO 2011: Retrospective and Discussion

Natural

I'm buzzing for Evo.. I've watched it the past 2 years and it's always hype. I think I have the same amount of fun if not more when watching people play Street Fighter 4.

USD

Natural said:
I'm buzzing for Evo.. I've watched it the past 2 years and it's always hype. I think I have the same amount of fun if not more when watching people play Street Fighter 4.
I was just going through the EVO 2009 thread. Haha, I forgot that I totally missed the first day and a half of EVO. Nice to know my typing was ass back then too.

Here's the EVO 2010 thread.

I've watched plenty of matches from the pre-streaming era, but sometimes it's still crazy to imagine EVO before streams. Back then, I didn't care much, and it's not like 2008 was that long ago.

USD said:
I was just going through the EVO 2009 thread. Haha, I forgot that I totally missed the first day and a half of EVO. Nice to know my typing was ass back then too.

Here's the EVO 2010 thread.

I've watched plenty of matches from the pre-streaming era, but sometimes it's still crazy to imagine EVO before streams. Back then, I didn't care much, and it's not like 2008 was that long ago.
Memories.

2009 = "clutch"
2010 = "on notice"

I wonder what term S-Kill will immortalize this year.

USD

Just finished Ctrl+Ging my way through the 2009 thread, just to get a better look at 2009 USD, I'll probably go through thread completely later. I almost forgot I said this:

I have to say that Honda is my favorite character to watch, in HDR and SFIV.
Funny enough, this was response to watching vVv Scrub's (aka PR Rog's) Honda against Sanford.

Busaiku

Wasn't there talk of Poongo getting his Evo trip paid off in the SS thread?
Might have been the stream chat though.

Hag

USD with dat godlk quality. Good stuff.

Can't wait to see more Jared videos and Spooky shuffles at EVO.

Cels

Justin Wong trolling at PDP...so gd hilarious.

"She says heart! Get in there! You Kung Lao! Rush that! UGH, oh my god."

"He's trying to let her win but obviously it didn't work out too well cause he is walking away. No followup, there's no mixup, there's no oki right there, why is there no oki over there, oh my god."

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
shout outs to USD for keeping us up to date and drowning in info and streams to monster. subscribin

Noaloha

USD, your thread just cost me over £50. My hype levels for EVO 2011 were already at simmering point but reading through your retrospectives has tipped me well and truly into OKAY MUST PURCHASE FGC STUFF territory. As such, BrokenTier just got an order for two tees off me, which I shall 100% be wearing as I stream-monster it up at the end of the month.

Some seriously exhaustive, concise stuff going on in those OPs; so much good stuff. I dunno about your SF4 links man, but your forum post links are crispy indeed.

Dare I suggest, this year's AE is going to end up with no American in the top 8? Wolfkrone is the only one who has a chance, and I am not even sure if he would have been able to get into the top 4 of Shadowloo Showdown....

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Awesome thread USD.

Oh and there will be a KOFXIII side tourney by the good folks at Dreamcancel.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Don't touch my equipment or imma fuck you up.

Yo man. I told you don't touch my shit or imma fuck you up.

LOL.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There's Guard Crush and WNF every Wednesday or so, SCO every Thursday, random Sp00ky streams, IPW whenever, and a bunch of minor every day lobbies streams. There are tons. Final Round Arcade, Team Khaos, Upyourgame, Bifuteki, Option select, and myself, etc.

USD

Kadey said:
Don't touch my equipment or imma fuck you up.

Yo man. I told you don't touch my shit or imma fuck you up.

LOL.
This still gets me in tears every time.

Guard Crush moments could support a thread alone. Might take a stab at it later.
Smision said:
no more tourneys until EVO? any other streaming going on? i need a fix and i've watched everything. everything.
Option-Select is running Marvel right now:

http://www.justin.tv/optionselect

And Peaceful Jay is running Salty Conflict Online:

http://www.justin.tv/peacefuljay

As Kadey said, there are always plenty of streams to watch, if you know where to look.

And if you missed it, check out Starbase from yesterday:

http://www.justin.tv/iplaywinner/b/289654519

Featuring some really great AE play from John Choi, Filipino Champ, and Mr. Naps.

Oh, and then there was Guard Crush 19, with more AE play and some really nice Spider-Man highlights in the Marvel tourney:

http://www.justin.tv/teamsp00ky/b/289648131

I'm late, but good shit USD. I've become spoiled by your amazing threads.

I was hoping to see the Juicebox/Scumbag blowup too, but oh well. :lol

elfinke

As someone who is casually interested in the fight game scene (mostly because I am pus at it), but loves watching other people play, this thread is all kinds of excellent.

USD

Professor Beef said:
I'm late, but good shit USD. I've become spoiled by your amazing threads.

I was hoping to see the Juicebox/Scumbag blowup too, but oh well. :lol
That was from EVO 2010. I'll probably go over that, eventually.

I just finished watching season 2 of WCG Ultimate gamer. It had J-wong in it and I have to admit it makes EVO a bit more exciting now that I know one of the big names.

Anslon said:
I just finished watching season 2 of WCG Ultimate gamer. It had J-wong in it and I have to admit it makes EVO a bit more exciting now that I know one of the big names.
Was that the show where he got blown up in the driving exam?

Cels

If I recall the windshield of the car was blocked and he had to drive the car using a camera view from behind, much like a 3rd person view in a video game.

kitzkozan

EVO 2011 will be the most hype mostly thanks to the Tokido versus Wong war in MvC3. :) I think that SSFIV AE will give us the best display of skill and competition, especially since there's going to be a ridiculous amount of monsters in the various pools.

kitzkozan said:
EVO 2011 will be the most hype mostly thanks to the Tokido versus Wong war in MvC3. :) I think that SSFIV AE will give us the best display of skill and competition, especially since there's going to be a ridiculous amount of monsters in the various pools.
I think Combo has a better chance in Marvel simply because he plays on PS3. Most of the other pros play on 360 while Evo is PS3.

USD said:
That was from EVO 2010. I'll probably go over that, eventually.

And the Floe face. Poor Floe..

I like Wong winning MvC3 especially how he took out that pheonix team with ease in his tourny

Top Bottom