• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The sad reality of other country`s videogame prices

totowhoa

Banned
gunther said:
The biggest problem are not the uber high prices. Are the low salaries that people recieve in latin america. Here in Chile a new game cost somewhere 70-90 bucks, it is not much. Well, the ps3 at launch was 1000 bucks. The minimum wage here is around 380 bucks. Thats 3 times the minimun wage.

Damn. 380 bucks over what period?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
K' Dash said:
I'm betting a month.
A month, but the reality is that everyone's salary is superior to that; a typical low end salary in Chile is about 500-800 dollars a month. (We bitch about minimum wage because every year you earn a bonus proportional to the minimum wage).

monocromo

gunther said:
The biggest problem are not the uber high prices. Are the low salaries that people recieve in latin america. Here in Chile a new game cost somewhere 70-90 bucks, it is not much. Well, the ps3 at launch was 1000 bucks. The minimum wage here is around 380 bucks. Thats 3 times the minimun wage.

Thats the real point.

I'm from Argentina and if I'm lucky I can buy a PS3 game for U$S80 at launch (via online sites - without taxes). But we dont earn in american dollars... its feels like paying U$S320 for each game.

The US PSN Store was a blessing for me. Burnout Paradise or Warhawk for "only" U$S20..?

And is now they locked it =/

3D Dot Game Heroes is nearly U$S90 without taxes ffs...

Regulus Tera said:
Mexico's prices aren't as exorbitant, but when freaking Super Smash Bros. Brawl costs you 800 plus pesos two years after release you know something is fucked up.
That price is fairly consistent with Nintendo's US policy. Essentially all Nintendo games are still sold at retailers for their launch price.

Flavius

vissione said:
Funny I'm back home in Panama for the summer so I'll explain how it works here. The game shop owners make weekly or monthly trips to Miami which is about a $100 fare (coach) Spirit Airlines and 3hr flight. A day's worth of hording out US game stores they come back and resell what they bought at US retail prices for profit. Most PS3 games retail for $80, "high profile" games go straight to $100 e.g. Final Fantasy XIII.

In these countries the people who can afford these games are usually affluent enough to buy at these prices... the ones that can barely save enough for the hardware go straight to chinese shops to get modded consoles. PS3 is very unpopular here because of that fact, whereas by comparison Wii and 360 are way more popular... as are both handhelds.

The deep end of the problem is there is no proper distribution chains direct from publishers here and probably everywhere else in Latin America. The price inflation comes from directly buying shit at retailers in the US for US prices and making money off of that... they don't buy in bulk... it pisses me off when they sell Greatest Hits games for over $80 just to make more money. Hardware never gets subsidized to make money off the software... everything has a high price no matter what. They'll sell refurbished hardware as new and the consumers don't see any savings, much less incentive to buy more games. Sometimes for obscure stuff the only way to get it is to pay upfront, and they'll go find it as cheap as they can... while you wait. Since there's no unified postal system there are no online stores either that sell and distribute cheaper than brick and mortar... even if you sent games down here to sell, your shit would get caught up at customs and would be taxed to hell and back... (about 15%+crazy import/shipping fees) making it much cheaper to go to the US and buy it in person. Next time you're in gamestop you could be in line next to a videogame mule... it's the cheapest way to get stuff here.

...oh and I haven't added the local taxes to those prices which here is only 5% but soon will be 7% for luxury items. Apparently if you own a HDTV and a game console somehow you're selling drugs and live in a huge mansion.

If I stop by a gamestore I'll take some pics too... this shit is beyond fucked up.

Appreciate the perspective...

All I can muster at the moment is...GOOD GRAVY!!!

Dante23

Here in Colombia, most console games go over US$105. It's ridiculous, I'm thankfull that I have the opportunity to buy games in the US.

The high rates of piracy here are understandable, the power of adquisition here it's very low, most people in my country receives the minimum wage of roughly US$255. It's stupid to think that people will spend almost half of their salary in just a game.

Salsa

whatevermort said:
Can I ask what those sort of prices have done to piracy there? Is it more prevalent (both in terms of people you know, and shop-sanctioned piracy)?

This:

gutabo said:
Piracy here is "the law", not only with video games but with movies/sitcoms and music too. Most of the people I know have flashed their 360s. Hell, no one will buy a used 360 that's not flashed! Also banned 360's are sold like nothing, very few people play online here. You can go to any market and buy bootleg copies like nothing, even cops own some of the stores. Prices go from USD $0.70 to $3 for a pirated game/movie/album. There's nothing "black" about them, there's even people WALKING on the streets on bus stops/red lights selling bootleg copies of movies/music and sometimes even top selling games like super mario bros wii/mario kart wii.

Basically..

Sklorenz said:
Kind of what I figured. Unemployment spikes as gamers everywhere snatch up third job? Eesh, makes me wonder what the PS3 debuted at in Uruguay

Same, 1000+ USD.

hxa155 said:
In Saudi Arabia (and the rest of the Middle East) the prices fluctuate and depend on how popular the title is. For example, GTA IV retailed for 500 SR (133 USD) but for the most part they are similar to prices of European countries.

Which would actually make sense if supplies were limited.

Wizpig

SalsaShark said:
All of those prices are USD.
2moun7t-3.png

My reaction in real life when I read this.

Here in Italy it's pretty bad, too, but not that bad and HELL NOT FOR DS GAMES!
It's usually € 40-45 for a DS game.
It gets bad when you want a 360 or Ps3 game day-one; enjoy your € 70+... and then you pay € 50 for Super Mario Galaxy 2, which is pretty awesome imho... I mean it's still expensive, but that's a quality game.
I'm pretty happy with DS/Wii prices here.

But I usually just import my DS games anyways... you pay like € 20-25, damn.

And the 3DS is probably not going to be region-free... I'd say you should buy an import 3DS, SalsaShark, if you want one... or you might have to buy the games locally.

Chris_C

SalsaShark said:
Horrible prices...

The prices for PS3 games are pretty much the same here in Nigeria, even for games that are years old now. PS3's themselves cost about $1,000 or just under last time I checked. Wii's are a little bit cheaper I think.

That said, it's a lot easier than it was to get legitimate games now than it was 5 or 10 years ago (PS2 and PS1 games were mostly pirated and sold super cheap.)

EA's games are generally cheaper than everyone elses, I believe they have a manufacturing plant in Singapore.

The US PSN's recently started the vile practice of not letting folks outside of that region purchase items, even if they've got US credit cards. I'm having my brother (who works in the US) pick up PSN cards so I can get PSN+ shortly.

Salsa

Wizpig said:
And the 3DS is probably not going to be region-free... I'd say you should buy an import 3DS, SalsaShark, if you want one... or you might have to buy the games locally.

I hope i get one on some travel (fingers crossed), not only for the pricing but because im expecting a big ass delay as well.

monocromo

Wizpig said:
2moun7t-3.png

My reaction in real life when I read this.

Here in Italy it's pretty bad, too, but not that bad and HELL NOT FOR DS GAMES!
It's usually € 40-45 for a DS game.
It gets bad when you want a 360 or Ps3 game day-one; enjoy your € 70+... and then you pay € 50 for Super Mario Galaxy 2, which is pretty awesome imho... I mean it's still expensive, but that's a quality game.
I'm pretty happy with DS/Wii prices here.

But I usually just import my DS games anyways... you pay like € 20-25, damn.

The fact is that the harware that you buy in Latin America (at least in Argentina, even from Sony itself) is NTSC (from North America). Games (and consoles) are not localized. Better that you know english, because importing euro copies for spanish or portuguese is more expensive.

SalsaShark said:
I hope i get one on some travel (fingers crossed), not only for the pricing but because im expecting a big ass delay as well.

Off topic, pero felicitaciones por los cuartos de final !

Reallink

Just out of curiosity, if you walked into a McDonalds to get a job in Australia, how much would your expected hourly wage be? In the US, it would have been $5.15 in a vast majority of the country--that is up until 2007 where where they increased it to just over $6 and (presently) just over $7. I suspect AU'ians would expect to make a lot more than that.

jett

D-Member
Come on, you live in latin america, surely there are ahem shadier places where you can get the same games for a price closer to the one in USA. I live in Peru, normally I pay about $70 for a PS3 game. Sometimes 65. "Tax" included.

Prices at "authorized" stores are complete bullshit and you only end up getting buttfucked there.

Chris_C

BocoDragon said:
Phillipenes right? I suspect that is a DAMN good situation considering you're a smaller market.

Prices in the PI aren't as bad as in Nigeria though, I lived there for a year and if I remember correctly, they were about $80 or thereabouts, again, except for EA games, which were actually cheaper than their NA counterparts, again because EA has a production facility in Singapore.

fernoca

Here in Puerto Rico; while prices are usually the same as in the US and we get the games, DVDs, CDs in general the same day too (movies in theaters vary though from the sameday, to 1 week..to 2 weeks..to..never; like Toy Story 1/2 in 3D)..which is not bad.. (though movies are relatively cheap; a 3D movie costs around $7.75 while a regular movie costs $5.75; and that's for an adult ticket). Overall I (and my friends) don't complain, since we know that in other countries prices are way too high; for the same games.

As far as salaries, a minimum wage employee..working full time (5 days a week, 40 hours per day) earns around $1,000 a month; before discounts (social security, taxes, etc); which can sometimes be up to nearly half of that salary. On my previous job, I was at $8.00 an hour after 3 years; and monthly..after discounts that was around $750..

it's funny to see developers wasting so much time with drm and whatnot when they could just try to find a way to sell games cheaper and to have them release faster on other countries

at least digital distribution might help with that, when done right like with steam. a friend of mine who has always pirated games before has now been buying a load of stuff - sometimes even more expensive games - because on steam he can actually get real discounts and fair prices on good games

at the same time, dd without that like what sony did with the pspgo or just splitting the userbase per region to not piss off retailers just brings the same problems, so you might as well as not bother

Probably because the market is way too small and not worth their time (read: money).
the market is small because there is no investment. people aren't gonna stop pirating like that. the retarded system needs to be adjusted by those who can and those who need it. the people pirating the games are neither

besides, if people buy 150+ usd games, they are actually supporting this shit system and encouraging publishers to keep it up. so yeah, those games are not gonna sell

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Green Biker Dude said:
the market is small because there is no investment. people aren't gonna stop pirating like that. the retarded system needs to be adjusted by those who can and those who need it. the people pirating the games are neither

it's a vicious circle. An investor says: "they are pirates, they won't buy anything" and people keep pirating. And frankly speaking the investor is right - people could be so used to games for free that they won't buy anything. The only solution - harsh law prosecution unfortunatlely :((( (fines, etc)

Salsa

jett said:
Come on, you live in latin america, surely there are ahem shadier places where you can get the same games for a price closer to the one in USA. I live in Peru, normally I pay about $70 for a PS3 game. Sometimes 65. "Tax" included.

Prices at "authorized" stores are complete bullshit and you only end up getting buttfucked there.

Not really, if used maybe, your best chance is to buy used. I know 3 people with PS3 that leand each other all of their games, they are in constant rotation. :lol

monocromo said:
Off topic, pero felicitaciones por los cuartos de final !

Rafaelcsa

Fakto said:
Easy, NO ONE BUYS Original games, so, the few places that have original games prices them as luxury items.
In Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Venezuela there is not a single official gaming software/hardware distributor/seller. The articles that are sold, even in big/important shops, are pirated.

It's a vicious cycle. No one buys original games because the prices are so high; the prices are so high (partly) because no one buys original games. That said, if taxes were not so high, more people would be buying original games. There would still be pirated games, but the number of people buying legit stuff would rise for sure.

What I find amazing is that the PS3 managed to conquer this problem. I see people buying original PS3 games going for the exorbitant prices that we're all talking about here, because there's no way around it; there are no pirated PS3 games on the market. It's the only console which I frequently see people buying legit games since the N64. It shows how when something really pleases people and there's no easy/cheap way to get it, they will pay the price for it. I can only imagine if prices were actually lower, Sony would be really dominant down here.

subversus said:
it's a vicious circle. An investor says: "they are pirates, they won't buy anything" and people keep pirating. And frankly speaking the investor is right - people could be so used to games for free that they won't buy anything. The only solution - harsh law prosecution unfortunatlely :((( (fines, etc)
i disagre. like i said, i've seen quite a few people buying games - a close friend being the most recent example - once they can get fair prices. is everybody going to convert? of course not. but the market is there. no one can say how big it is, but i don't think people in, say, south america are any more or less honest than people in the us/europe/japan. it might necessary to educate a bigger chunk of the population though, what with a lot of people not viewing software or even games as something valuable

i agree with you about it being a cycle however and i doubt a lot is going to change. but still, steam is a step in the right direction, so there's hope

Smo21

all this insanity makes me happy to know that Canadian stores are almost on par with America when it comes to pricing

subversus

Green Biker Dude said:
i disagre. like i said, i've quite a few people buying games - a close friend being the most recent example - once they can get fair prices. is everybody going to convert? of course not. but the market is there. no one can say how big it is, but i don't think people in, say, south america are any more or less honest than people in the us/europe/japan. it might necessary to educate a bigger chunk of the population though, what with a lot of people not viewing software or even games as something valuable

i agree with you about it being a cycle however and i doubt a lot is going to change. but still, steam is a step in the right direction, so there's hope

I kind of agree with you, but as I say you can solve a lot of problems going after illegal stores and shutting down torrent sites (which is much more difficult by now, but it's only the beginning of the battle). The real problem is prices and law enforcement practice however. If you go with a low price in one hand and a hefty fine for using illegal copy in the other you'll find a market in any country.

Shred0r

Banned
Just out of curiosity: How was the first week retail prize for Final Fantasy 7 in the US ans UK? I remember like it was yesterday that i have payed 129 German Marks (or how our old currency is called in english) for it. It was brutal but well worth it. A defining gaming experience! Brutal due to the fact that i was too young at that time for a job and had to put aside 20 Marks each months (thats how "much" my parents gave per month, i had to appreciate every penny ^^ and always make wise buying decisions: not funny). You can do the math yourself: 130 DM/20=6,5 Month of determined saving to be able to buy that game Day 1, baby! Those were the days...

Then i made the mistake to borrow FF7 to a friend of mine and he somehow lost the 1st disc. Not knowing how well this game would stand the test of time and what reputation it would build up over the time of its existence, i havent played with the thought to kill him for doing so. But even to this day its bitter to hold my copy of FF7 in my hands and seeing that the 1st disc is still missing, only replaced by a shitty CD-R disc.

Lesson learned: Never ever borrow your most precious stuff. Someone will always fuck it up somehow...

the thing is, the infrastructure to sue people for this kind of crime isn't there for these countries. hell, even the us might not be able to do it well. lowering the prices is the only realistic solution

just in case, i'm not saying suing pirates and closing down stores wouldn't help, i'm saying it's infeasible

subversus

Green Biker Dude said:
the thing is, the infrastructure to sue people for this kind of crime isn't there for these countries. hell, even the us might not be able to do it well. lowering the prices is the only realistic solution

just in case, i'm not saying suing pirates and closing down stores wouldn't help, i'm saying it's infeasible

yes, we have the same problem, but we were making a great progress until torrent sites ruined everything again. The law enforcement is corrupt in most of the developing countries because they're low paid (and because of many other reasons) but you can deal with them in another way. You can say: "okay, guys, I'll pay you an extra (unofficially of course) or give some of our product for free or extremely discounted, but these bitches must suffer". The only problem is that it still doesn't work with the internet, laws aren't there yet. I hope it'll change soon.

Importing would be a great option since, sometimes, even with the 60% import tax it still would be cheaper than the retail price in a store.

I say 'would' because it´s not uncommon for items simply vanish. Even with shipping tracking numbers.
Customs blame the postal service for the "disappearing", postal service blames customs.
To be safe you´d need to use a more expensive (safer) shipping method, but then you can just go and buy the game on a shop for the same total amount, which defeats the point of importing (cheaper prices).

And no, not only games "dissapear". Tried to import some books and no sign of them till today.

Yay, Braziloland!

Out of this thread. It´s making me depressed. Need some Valve sale love now.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
A sample of Israel's prices (from one of the biggest electronics chains, Bug):
Games:
Fallout 3 / PS3 / 350 NIS / 90.5$USD
Dead Space / PS3 / 250 NIS / 64$USD
Heavy Rain / PS3 / 400 NIS / 103$USD
PoP: Forgotten Sands / PS3 / 400 NIS / 103$USD
CoD: MW2 / PS3 / 440 NIS / 113$USD
Pokemon Platinum / DS / 300 NIS / 77$USD
MKDS / DS / 300 NIS / 77$USD
NSMB / DS / 300 NIS / 80$USD
SMG2 / Wii / 350NIS / 90$USD
Brawl / Wii/ 330NIS / 88$USD
Bioshock 2 / 360 / 420 NIS / 108$USD
Guitar Hero 5 (w/ guitar) / 360 / 600NIS / 155$USD

Consoles:
PS3 Slim - 2000 NIS / 517$USD
Wii - 1400 NIS / 362$USD (EDIT: Managed to find (old version) as low as 240$USD)
Xbox Elite /w Forza 3 - 2400 NIS / 621$USD
DSi - 1390 NIS / 360$USD
PSP Slim - 1200 NIS / 310$USD

Yeah, it's not as expensive as the OP and it's been getting better in recent years but it's still not.. great.

Salsa

Youta Mottenai said:
Out of this thread. It´s making me depressed. Need some Valve sale love now.

Same. L4D2 just fixed a bit of that.

And the "disappearing" in shipment around here isnt a strange thing at all either.

faridmon

OP, just be happy that your country is kicking ass in WC and forget about gaming for this month.

Here in Scandinavia, the priceses are terrible as well. well, I lied, i don't live there anymore, I am bloody happy that I live in UK now. Just bought Rockband unplugged for 10 quids :D

Osuwari

damn, all you guys have a rough time with those prices.

it makes Panama seem like the bizarro world of latin america for gaming. here, console games are $10-18 more expensive than in USA (wii games $10 more, PS360 games $18 more) and portable games are about $5-10 more than in USA (depends on original price but it is proportional since you can find stuff like Pokemon HGSS at $45 and Brain Age at $25)

the things that are really bad here are the used market and price drops. used games are not very common (few stores have them) and there's low variety. price drops are rare but have been increasing lately (i see bomba bins in some stores now. that was non-existant a few years ago. you still don't see many good games on them)

consoles and handhelds have decent markup. a Wii is $240, a DSlite is around $150 and a DSi XL about $200. PS3 and 360 have worse luck since both are over $400 and $300 respectively.

i used to moan about the prices but seeing those contries with incredibly hijacked prices, i'm actually glad i ive here. the situation has improved over the years since in the N64 days games costed like $70 on average and last gen everything was in the wii's price range.

also, we get games very close to USA launches now or even on the same day if it is a big game like Pokemon or Mario Galaxy 2. it used to be weeks or even months before.

felipeko

Mike Andrade said:
Here in Brazil:

Mass Effect 2 / R$220,00 = U$122,22
Metal Gear Solid 4 / R$249,00 = U$138,33
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe / R$289,00 = U$160,55
Guitar Hero 5 Bundle with Guitar / R$599 = U$332,77
That's cheap compared to Elebits's R$255 i found other day. (All Wii games were the same price, old or new)

krae_man

Isn't the reason for the high prices the lack of an official release?

Don't the retailers have to import all the games at full retail price, pay high international shipping costs and terriffs on the games?

-KRS-

Broman1978 said:
Gamestop and GAME usually charge 90 Dollars for new games here in Sweden ...=/
(699 sek)

Yeah but to be fair, they always have the highest prices. At stores like Elgiganten and Siba you can get them much cheaper most of the time, unless the games are brand new.
But even then, Super Mario Galaxy 2 was 444 SEK at launch on Elgiganten. I think that might have been some sort of exclusive deal though.
Oh and Wii games are usually 499-599 SEK at Gamestop, DS games are 399-499. It's only the HD console games that have a 699 SEK price tag.

..But yeah, holy shit Uruguay. I feel sorry for you guys :(

Salacious Crumb said:
Major 3rd party releases in Australia retail for 105 USD (120 AUD)

Don't know if it is still the case, but when I lived in Australia JB HiFi and Big W pretty much had every major new release at 79 or 89 bucks, and EB price matched so it actually isn't that bad.

Dizzy-4U

Here in Argentina, people earn around $1300 - $1800 (pesos) a month. Now, this is what games cost:

- PS3 or 360 console: Around $2200
- Wii = around $1500
- PS3 games = $280 - $350
- 360 games = Hard to get originals here. It's pirated as hell.
- Wii games = Same as xbox360
- PS3 & 360 controller = $300
- Wii controller + nunchuk = $500

Also, forget about any sort of warranty. Got RROD after 2 months? Sorry kid. Your console unexplicably YLOD? Bad luck for you chump.

tafer

I'm from somwhere, and I have to say that the situation is the same here, games and consoles are worth 2 times its price in the US... with an additional kick, the prices NEVER go down.

Naturally, with this ridiculous prices and lower salaries the piracy runs rampart around here.

Import taxes are funny stuff: TV=50%, Consoles/handhelds=50% and games=13%... and even then the prices of games follow the rest.

Most people with certain knowledge choose to import everything, since we have amazing importers that handle all this stuff in an outstanding way... for example, I usually pay for an US PS360 game 66USD and receive it 3-5 days after its release. (taxes and international shipping included)

Edit: Forgot to say that there are some legal ways to avoid the payment of import taxes. For example: small and cheap stuff (less than $100) hardly pay any taxes.

mantidor

The Omega Man said:
To all this (overpriced videogames, huge markups (rule of thumb is 4 times the price it costs in USA, same for consoles) add:

- The inability to legally purchase foreign currency (aka $, euros, etc) so you can't send/pay/purchase/import something on your own or send money to a friend or family that lives in the states to buy you a game at the real cost.
- A new bill that strictly prohibits to sell "viloent videogames" altogether, the bill is so vague, than any game the goverment feels like can be banned
- One of the most expensive, slow and unreliable internet services in the world

Welcome to Venezuela

D: that horrible.

Here in Colombia as has been said is also as bad, but you can online shop, since I found out a cheap way to import the games through Amazon I never went back to retailers. I check them once in a while because there are discounts, something that I never saw before, I saw Mass effect 2 at roughly $40, which is an amazing price for a game in a retailer here. But those cases are rare and you have to look around a lot.

Its pretty ridiculous that importing the game yourself (through amazon for instance) paying the shipping and the import taxes (something not very common around here, every one uses a "friend" that gets things inside bypassing customs), and even then, the game still is cheaper than at a retailer, I payed for Mario Galaxy 2 around $70, including shipping and taxes, the game retails at around $100.

Salsa

Dizzy-4U said:
Here in Argentina, people earn around $1300 - $1800 (pesos) a month. Now, this is what games cost:

- PS3 or 360 console: Around $2200
- Wii = around $1500
- PS3 games = $280 - $350
- 360 games = Hard to get originals here. It's pirated as hell.
- Wii games = Same as xbox360
- PS3 & 360 controller = $300
- Wii controller + nunchuk = $500

Also, forget about any sort of warranty. Got RROD after 2 months? Sorry kid. Your console unexplicably YLOD? Bad luck for you chump.

This made me think: Im pretty surprised there`s even a Gamestop here since the market is so small, do you guys (all of you complaining as well) have Gamestop stores there as well ?

Oh and is your avatar Araceli Gonzalez ? i freakin love that woman.

Dizzy-4U

SalsaShark said:
This made me think: Im pretty surprised there`s even a Gamestop here since the market is so small, do you guys (all of you complaining as well) have Gamestop stores there as well ?
I haven't seen any sort of gamestop here. There is Sony Style, but the games are 500% more expensive than the USA. All the video games stores are very humble and independent. But I can't say for sure since I don't live in the big cities.

SalsaShark said:
Sure she is. Lovely milf is lovely.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
SalsaShark said:

I'm pretty sure these GameStop/TopGames/whatever they are called now are unrelated to the US ones... I mean, these guys used to sell pirated games in the malls at the amazing price of 30 dollars! :lol
And when the PS3 was released, they had a couple... at about 3500 dollars each (and I'm not even kidding) :lol :lol :lol :lol

Also, you may not remember, but way back in the 8/16 bit era, both Nintendo and Sega had official representation in the country, with actual stores, show segments, a shitton of ads everywhere, webpages (nintendo.com.uy!) and actually kinda accesible prices xD

Top Bottom