• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The set up for the next Dragon Age is pretty awesome. Inquisition/Trespasser SPOILERS

Grisby

Been thinking about replaying Inquisition again sometime this year. The DLC is damn good.

Also, spoilers for one of the later DA books:
It's neat to think that griffins might finally make a return.

Zesh

Trespasser was great; the lore of the Dragon Age series is getting very interesting.

I'm also excited for a game set in Tevinter. Just hope they've learned some lessons from Inquisition.

Ridesh

Banned
Trespasser was great; the lore of the Dragon Age series is getting very interesting.

I'm also excited for a game set in Tevinter. Just hope they've learned some lessons from Inquisition.

Jaws of Hakkon was also a massive improvement over the base game areas imo.

I just sincerely hope Bioware kicks their habit of hiding so much of the world's details behind overly-long codex entries. By the time I'd gotten maybe 2/3 into Inquisition's story I just didn't care to read those massive text-dumps anymore. Stuff like that, if written well, should be easily conveyed via dialogue, even if it's optional or side-quest specific.

MartyStu

I just sincerely hope Bioware kicks their habit of hiding so much of the world's details behind overly-long codex entries. By the time I'd gotten maybe 2/3 into the story I just didn't care to read those massive text-dumps anymore.

Fuck, I stayed in as long as I did because I actually really enjoyed those. But yeah, they need to get a better handle on the scope of their shit.

It's been a long while since I played dai and I didn't play trespassor, but can some one clue me in on why the Inquisition is failing? People were mentioning it a few posts up, but I'd love to get more details.

Fuck, I stayed in as long as I did because I actually really enjoyed those. But yeah, they need to get a better handle on the scope of their shit.

I really wanted to! At the start of the game, as they started pouring into my Journal, I kept telling myself, "Shit yeah, I'm gonna set aside a good chunk of time to read these!" But then gradually I just fell off.

diaspora

It's been a long while since I played dai and I didn't play trespassor, but can some one clue me in on why the Inquisition is failing? People were mentioning it a few posts up, but I'd love to get more details.
A perfect storm of corruption by infiltration and being targeted by governments feeling threatened by a multinational military power.

I just sincerely hope Bioware kicks their habit of hiding so much of the world's details behind overly-long codex entries. By the time I'd gotten maybe 2/3 into Inquisition's story I just didn't care to read those massive text-dumps anymore. Stuff like that, if written well, should be easily conveyed via dialogue, even if it's optional or side-quest specific.

What?! No. I don't recall Inquisition being text heavy, unless you never played any of the DA games and needed to acquaint yourself with the world's lore. I rarely needed to use the Codex because I knew most everything from the past games.

Can we talk about that music too?

We can. It's awesome.

EDIT:

Trespasser SPOILERS!!!

The same thing that happened to every other organization you encountered in the base game (Templars, Chantry, Grey Wardens), it became too big for its own good and fell prey to betrayal, corruption, and fear from outside powers. The DLC starts off two years later with the leaders of the Inquisition being called to Orlais to discuss the organizations future. With Corypheus dead and gone and the breaches closed many are weary of such a powerful force with a near divine ruler walking around unchecked. By the end of the DLC you learn how rivaling factions had infiltrated the Inquisition to support their own ends, plots tripping over plots. You decide what you do with the Inquisition at the end. I chose to disband the whole thing because I didn't think I could operate the way I needed to for the future with spies possibly lurking around every corner.

What?! No. I don't recall Inquisition being text heavy, unless you never played any of the DA games and needed to acquaint yourself with the world's lore. I rarely needed to use the Codex because I knew most everything from the past games.

I admit I bailed on the series about 40 hours into Origins back when it launched. So by the time I played Inquisition a few months back I'd totally forgotten the entirety of the world, its lore, deities, factions, etc. I suppose that's more my fault for losing the overall plot than the game's.

Still though, I am genuinely curious to see what they do with DA4

MartyStu

It sort of had to fail. They quickly established themselves as a power, but had no true guiding principle and very shaky grounds in terms of legitimacy.

The fact that the inquisition was so solid an cohesive during the course of the game was actually kind of hard to swallow.

Ridesh

Banned
Because Orlais and Ferelden fear the power of the Inquisition and think that there is no more need for it, the breach was closed and the job was done, more importantly the organization got infiltrated by agents of other factions, spies of the qun and followers of fen harel, it almost lead to a new cathastrophe, so you have to choice if mantain the Inquisition in service of the divine, while maintaining the brute force but being more prone to corruption, or disolve the Inquisition but maintain the circle of trust, being less powerful but more secure.
The final objective is to stop Solas plan, it's implied that DA4 protagonist will be a new character, an agent of the Inquisitor.

MADGAME

Never finished Inquisition main game, and Solas was one of my favorite party members. I certainly didn't know he created the veil; that info has my interest piqued so I may make time to finish after I'm done with Bloodborne.

Poyunch

I got bored of the game and never completed it. He was the love interest I was pursuing though so can anyone explain what happens to this plotline if the Inquisitor and Solas got together?

Maligna

Banned
Oh damn, Solas is my characters romantic interest. I wonder if you can join him or if you're forced to oppose him?

Solas is a great villain.

Never, N E V E R release DLC that ends up being fundamental to the story. That's just bad in every possible way, specially almost one year later. This kind of stuff should always be for side stories, flashbacks, etc. Things to give you more context and understanding of some characters, world and so on.

As someone already pointed out, almost no one played The Trespasser. And it's pretty good.

Complistic

Sounds awesome, maybe, you know, they could have included it in the actual game?

I'd be surprised if there were another dragon age game honestly.

Rozart

Oh damn, Solas is my characters romantic interest. I wonder if you can join him or if you're forced to oppose him?

You can ask him to take you along, yeah.
He says no.
I romanced Solas and Trespasser did a great job handling the whole Solas/Inquisitor romance.

Edit:

Sounds awesome, maybe, you know, they could have included it in the actual game?

Wha-?

Ridesh

Banned

Why? Game sold great, won like 100+ goty, the only thing that it has against its development is that half of bioware is working in finishing MEA and the other half is working in the new ip. I guess the game is in pre-production, I would expect it for 2019 more or less.

Maybe shinobi knows something more concrete.

You mean that game that was the biggest launch in BioWare history, sold really well, and won GOTY? Nah, can't imagine why they'd make a sequel to that. Plus, Marc Laidlaw (creative director on DA series) has made enough comments by now that tells me they are working on DA4.

It's awesome if they don't do what I fear them doing which is brushing the Inquisitor completely under the bus because they don't want to have to deal with it.

I hope they allow you to play as the Inquis again and don't reboot you because after a point, resetting and saying "well what you did was kinda important but not enough" isn't okay anymore. I need some level of continuity beyond having Leli in it again.

The game finally being in Tevinter is gonna be amazing though.

jonjonaug

Well, Inquisitor is missing a hand at the end of Trespasser. Are "working" artificial limbs a thing in the DA setting?

Patryn

It's awesome if they don't do what I fear them doing which is brushing the Inquisitor completely under the bus because they don't want to have to deal with it.

I hope they allow you to play as the Inquis again and don't reboot you because after a point, resetting and saying "well what you did was kinda important but not enough" isn't okay anymore. I need some level of continuity beyond having Leli in it again.

The game finally being in Tevinter is gonna be amazing though.

The ending definitely implies that the Inquisitor will not be the main character if you choose to disband the Inquisition. They specifically say that they need to hunt for someone that Solas doesn't know.

What I'm more heartened by is that the same ending implies that Harding will probably be a party member in DA4, given that she's present in that small group that gathers and every Dragon Age game has promoted a non-party member from the previous game into a party member in the next game.

As for Trespasser, I fucking loved it and I'm super pumped for DA4. I've always loved Patrick Weekes' work at Bioware, and he knocked it out of the park with Trespasser, so I'm super pumped to see what he can do as a head writer of a title.

Ridesh

Banned
I mean you don't need an artificial limb to play the game. You can work around that.

And in one of the endings you do get one so yeah.
But being an agent working directly for the Inquisitor is a good compromise for the character I think.

Also, it was so obvious that Hawke was originally planned to become the Inquisitor, and not only because Cassandra say so in the game, but because BioWare devs said that Hawke was the single most important person in the DA universe in the middle of the DA2 marketing campaign. DA2 failure changed a lot of plans.

Elbereth

Next Dragon Age is Day 1 for me. I enjoyed it, and the first DLC. I didn't get around to playing the latter 2, but if this thread is any indication, it adds additional details to the ending in the base game. An ending which I thoroughly enjoyed, especially after the betrayal of Solas.

But being an agent working directly for the Inquisitor is a good compromise for the character I think.

Also, it was so obvious that Hawke was originally planned to become the Inquisitor, and not only because Cassandra say so in the game, but because BioWare devs said that Hawke was the single most important person in the DA universe in the middle of the DA2 marketing campaign. DA2 failure changed a lot of plans.

well of course they were going to say Hawke was the most important figure while they were marketing the game he was in. Also they were considering both Hawke and/or the Hero of Ferelden to lead the Inquisition but could not find either.

CrazyDude

Patrick Weekes is the head writer starting with the next Dragon Age. Will be interesting how he handles being in that position.

I am actually more excited for the DA4 than I am for MEA.

Legit though, that scene with Solis if you romanced him is probably the best writing and voice direction of any Bioware game done to date.

Great scene, you can actually feel the pain in his voice as he pushes you away.

TheYanger

It is included in the base game. Trespasser is the best ending to the whole mess, but the main game's ending makes it explicit who Solas is and thus should leave no real ambiguity for the next game.

Patryn

It's also interesting that everyone is focusing on the Solas stuff, when the Iron Bull stuff can also get pretty damn interesting depending on earlier choices.

CrazyDude

Why? Nothing has suggested that the game didn't sell well and we know that it was the most successful launch in Bioware's history based on units sold.

Legit though, that scene with Solis if you romanced him is probably the best writing and voice direction of any Bioware game done to date.

Great scene, you can actually feel the pain in his voice as he pushes you away.

The thing about Solas is that you totally understand him as a villain and if you're an elf you might even agree with him. It's like imagine you fought in some global war in the not too distant future and while your side won you got knocked into a coma for a couple hundred years. Then when you wake up its Fallout/Mad Max, everyone is a savage, people barely know how to read, there are new mutant sentient creatures walking about, and no one remembers the "Golden Era" of human civilization. Then imagine you could return the world to what it once was but in doing so you had to destroy this current savage world along with these new mutant races. Would you do it?

To Solas living in Thedas at the moment is like a living hell when compared to where he and his people were. They were near immortal gods, now they are a ragged band of squalor clinging to legends they barely understand. He simply can't allow his people and world to be reduced to this.

On another note, one of the small little hints as to Solas' true nature and past deeds happens during the Adamont plotline. When you first encounter Corypheus' mage testing the blood binding ritual he explains manipulating the Warden Commander who believed she could use the methods to create a demon army to destroy the Old Gods once and for all. If the Inquisitor brings along Solas and mentions that the plan is not all that bad if Corypheus wasn't betraying the Wardens, Solas will go slightly beserk, talking about how they don't know how much worse they could make things.

Patryn

Ok, so are the other 2 dlcs as good as this one?

Speaking as a person who loves DAI and the DLC, no. That's not necessarily a huge knock on them, it's just that Trespasser is honestly one of the best DLCs I've ever played.

They're both really good, but Trespasser is a much more focused experience that is much deeper in the lore and probably overall much more important.

The thing about Solas is that you totally understand him as a villain and if you're an elf you might even agree with him. It's like imagine you fought in some global war in the not too distant future and while your side won you got knocked into a coma for a couple hundred years. Then when you wake up its Fallout/Mad Max, everyone is a savage, people barely know how to read, there are new mutant sentient creatures walking about, and no one remembers the "Golden Era" of human civilization. Then imagine you could return the world to what it once was but in doing so you had to destroy this current savage world along with these new mutant races. Would you do it?

To Solas living in Thedas at the moment is like a living hell when compared to where he and his people were. They were near immortal gods, now they are a ragged band of squalor clinging to legends they barely understand. He simply can't allow his people and world to be reduced to this.

But it's also made clear why he's the bad guy beyond wanting to blow up the world. There is a clear caste and inequity system inherent in ancient elvish society that's arguably even worse than the current global situation for elves. So it's an ideal of what is functionally a racially pure society.

CrazyDude

Also can't wait to see the Tevinter Imperium. Going to have a lot of Byzantine influences to the cities architecture.

But it's also made clear why he's the bad guy beyond wanting to blow up the world. There is a clear caste and inequity system inherent in ancient elvish society that's arguably even worse than the current global situation for elves. So it's an ideal of what is functionally a racially pure society.

Well, he apparently fought against that during the ancient times which is what caused the war that led to the downfall of the Elves. If you romance him as an elf then there is a scene where he will remove you facial tattoos if you let him because he understands what they represent, slavery. To him it's like you're running around with a Swastika on your forehead. That's why he gets so upset if you submit to Mythal's power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqabDsw4lvw

Elbereth

Damn that makes me want to rebuy DA:I and get the DLC just to have this moment and hopefully see what happens in the next game.

Thank you for that. Very informative. This brings excellent closure to the story of DA:I and foreshadows an intriguing plot for the next DA. I'm pumped.

MartyStu

Solas is a great villain.

Never, N E V E R release DLC that ends up being fundamental to the story. That's just bad in every possible way, specially almost one year later. This kind of stuff should always be for side stories, flashbacks, etc. Things to give you more context and understanding of some characters, world and so on.

As someone already pointed out, almost no one played The Trespasser. And it's pretty good.

Bioware has a really bad habit of doing this.

I do think that the progression in lore expansion hasn't helped everything in the series since Origins. The Darkspawn for example kinda got lamer the more we know now.

But the way they handled the Elves and their mythology and history has been really well done.

Top Bottom