• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The set up for the next Dragon Age is pretty awesome. Inquisition/Trespasser SPOILERS

Rozart

Just thinking about all the different possibilities that they may have to carry over makes my head hurt. Was the Inquisitor hostile or friendly towards Solas? Who's the divine? Were the mage circles disbanded or were they reinstated? Does the Templar Order still exist? Did Hawke die? Did the HoF die? Did Alistair die or is he still the King of Ferelden? Is the HoF the Queen/King and have they returned to their throne? Were they even successful in curing The Calling? Is the Inquisitor now bound to Mythal or did they choose to let Morrigan drink from the well instead? Is Orlais still precariously unstable? Are the elves in Orlais rising in power or did the status quo remain unchanged?

I think setting the next game in a place (like Tevinter) where the events that transpired in Inquisition would hold the least impact makes a lot of sense. I don't think anyone can juggle that much divergence in the world state without just retconning everything.

Cured and riding on the back of a griffin.

Be really cool if they were the protag for DA4. Then Morrigan, me, and our stupid demon kid could be a normal family.

Holy shit. They're
CURED
? Is that in anyway related to what the HoF was doing during Inquisition?

Patryn

Just thinking about all the different possibilities that they may have to carry over makes my head hurt. Was the Inquisitor hostile or friendly towards Solas? Who's the divine? Were the mage circles disbanded or were they reinstated? Does the Templar Order still exist? Did Hawke die? Did the HoF die? Did Alistair die or is he still the King of Ferelden? Is the HoF the Queen/King and have they returned to their throne? Were they even successful in curing The Calling? Is the Inquisitor now bound to Mythal or did they choose to let Morrigan drink from the well instead? Is Orlais still precariously unstable? Are the elves in Orlais rising in power or did the status quo remain unchanged?

I think setting the next game in a place (like Tevinter) where the events that transpired in Inquisition would hold the least impact makes a lot of sense. I don't think anyone can juggle that much divergence in the world state without just retconning everything.

Holy shit. They're
CURED
? Is that in anyway related to what the HoF was doing during Inquisition?
That was a joke, I believe.

I honestly don't expect we'll ever see the Warden again. Too difficult to deal with faces and voices.

Rozart

That was a joke, I believe.

I honestly don't expect we'll ever see the Warden again. Too difficult to deal with faces and voices.

Aaa, I got excited because the Warden's whole 'searching for a cure' solo quest in Inquisition was so interesting to me. I just want my warden to be happy.

I wouldn't mind having a new face and voice for my warden though. My Hawke looked drastically different in DA:I and I wasn't bothered by it at all.

My guess:

Solas Friendship: Doesn't matter, maybe one or two lines different. At the end of the day he is the antagonist, you are there to stop him. Also, since you likely aren't playing as the Inquisitor but his agent you can choose to be friendlier to him or not.

Divine: Not much difference besides a few references. If DA4 does take place in Tevinter whoever is the current Divine is meaningless as Tevinter practices its own form of the Chantry with its own Divine, the Black Divine.

Mage Circles: With the game in Tevinter it won't make much difference but could have a greater effect in the background than other decisions.

Templars:
Same as above.

Hawke's Status: He is irrelevant, might show up for a quest but his character is now inconsequential.

HoF Fate: Could possibly be a major quest in the next game similar to Hawke in Inquisition.

Warden Cure: Likely a major plotline in DA4.

Ferelden King: Uncertain, with the game in Tevinter, Ferelden could be less important. Also, it's unclear when DA4 would take place they could kill the current ruler off off-screen.

Mythal:
Uncertain because we don't know if Solas killed Mythal at the end of Inquisition. Regardless, you likely won't be the Inquisitor in DA4 so it won't directly affect the player character.

Orlais Ruler:
Same deal as with Ferelden.

Orlais Elves: The end of Trespasser handles this in the ending slides, the Elves across Thedas and especially Orlais began to leave to follow Solas.

Urthor

yeah I wish I could play the DLC, I just don't have a post story save that doesn't have any DLC completion that isn't Knight Enchanter, which I don't really want to play after the nerfs, and I've completely forgotten the mechanics 3 years later even on the easiest difficulty.

Also I seriously doubt you will play again as the Inquisitor, so there's that.

Solas is by far the highlight of the game. Truly heartbreaking how you can be the best of bros/lovers and at the end he tells you that even though it breaks his heart to betray you that he has a duty to his people and that if you stand in his way you will regret it.

Not sure if considered an official tragic villain quite yet until the next game, we'd have to see how they handle him.

And yeah I doubt we'll be the inquisitor in the next game. Likely we'll be a recruit. At that point everybody or at least important players know who you are so the inquisitor has to lay low and guide people from the shadows. They'll need someone new and unknown to do their bidding/ally with and that person will be the next character.

I just really hope it isn't another Jesus like super important person. I hope you're just a very capable agent/soldier that makes a name for themselves.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Solas was my boy for 100 hours of DAI.

The ending hit me hard and Tresspasser took the world in such interesting directions, best DLC I've played.

Stoked for what's next

I just wonder how they can raise the stakes even higher after DA4 has you basically fight a god who already caused the end of the world once.

kerr

Neo Member
tresspasser was brilliant , I liked the whole treatment the character of Solas received, it was brilliant storytelling.

I just wonder how they can raise the stakes even higher after DA4 has you basically fight a god who already caused the end of the world once.
I would hope they end the series after the next one, unless they have the balls to stop the world ending catastrophes and make it a more personal tale Ala dragon age 2.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What the hell? I didn't even know this DLC existed. I should play this.

Herne

I had my Inquisitor romance Solas and it was absolutely heartbreaking. He took the vallaslin away from her, then knowing what he must do, he left the relationship. Finally they met up again in Trespasser and this time, to save her for however few years are left, he took her arm. What she said to him in Elvish, "Var lath vir suledin", basically means "Our love will endure". "I wish it could, Vhenan", he says, as the music swells and he says goodbye. Man!

Armless, the compromised Inquisition dead around her, her friends and allies scattered to the winds, she is left with but a few people to mount a resistance, to find people who Solas doesn't know and prepare them for what's to come. At night, she dreams of him. Such a satisfyingly sad and depressing ending!

Interesting/useless tidbit - in Irish, Solas means light.

I would hope they end the series after the next one, unless they have the balls to stop the world ending catastrophes and make it a more personal tale Ala dragon age 2.
I mean, they've still got the rest of the Elvish 'gods,' the Black City, the rest of the Old Gods, and the Titans to bring into the story in a big way if and when they choose to.

I think BioWare does a good job of giving themselves a lot of options for future storylines within the Thedas universe.

Herne

I can't freaking wait for DA4. Most of all I can't wait for that moment when my Inquisitor meets with Solas that one last time. Will she convince him not to go ahead? Will she be forced to try and kill him? Will he kill her? It's going to be painful no matter what happens.

As a side note, I think all these DLC decisions are far more EA-related than they are Bioware.

Ugh...more elves?

Give me another Blight, i want the Darkspawn to return.

The elves will certainly be a major part of the plot but Solas isn't just any elf. He's so powerful that the ancient elves thought he was an actual God. I mean he even created the Veil.

There's gonna be a lot going on in the next game. I can't wait to see Tevinter

Renekton

Ugh...more elves?

Give me another Blight, i want the Darkspawn to return.
It's about time the elves kick some butt.

They've been taking major L's across CRPGs, even becoming civil rights allegory I mean come on these guys are supposed to be superior to humans.

Inquisitions Trespasser did for me what almost all of Mass Effect 3s DLC did for me- It retroactively made me love the game a whole lot more.!

Staf

Haven't played the DLC but this seems like a good setup to me. But isn't it kind of bonkers that you won't play as the same character in the next game? I mean, it's weird when the character you are playing have no history with Solas but you as a player has. Feels like it ruins some of the setup. Because you will play a new character in the next game right?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Has there been any rumors on whether or we are getting another one? I loved DA:I despite it's obvious issues and would kill for another one, even if I want Bioware to make a spiritual successor to Kotor instead.

Because you will play a new character in the next game right?

That would be the standard for a DA game, but given the way they have set up the antagonist, I can see the Inquisitor being the playable character.

Has there been any rumors on whether or we are getting another one? I loved DA:I despite it's obvious issues and would kill for another one, even if I want Bioware to make a spiritual successor to Kotor instead.

That would be the standard for a DA game, but given the way they have set up the antagonist, I can see the Inquisitor being the playable character.

There have been enough hints dropped that it is being worked on.

I completely agree, DA:I and Trespasser was amazing. Still pretty perplexed at why people continue to shit on the game but to each his own

I'm super excited to see Tevinter. I wonder if they'll do another dual location like in DA:I (Ferelden and Orlais), would be amazing to get to see Antiva, Nevarra or the Anderfels

erawsd

Im glad to hear such high praise for it. I think Ill wait until DA4 is close before I play it though; its been long enough that Ive forgotten a lot of what happened in DAI and this would probably not have the same impact on me if I played it now.

End of Trespasser was definitely awesome imo... basically sets up the trinity: The Inquisitor, The Divine, & The Dread Wolf.

...Especially for me because my Inquisitor romanced Cassandra, who became The Divine (and looks absolutely awesome in her Divine plate mail), and then my Inquisitor decides to basically became her own personal army.

- So, you have the large forcer instead of the smaller force -- more susceptible to Solas' spies but that actually could make the story more intriguing
- You have the whole Chantry/Inquisition angle, with even more reason for Ferelden and Orlais to be suspect of the Inquisitions power.
- And you have the Divine/Inquisitor romance, conflict of reason, doubling the reason to be suspect of motivations.
- The Tevinter and Qunari foreshadowing.

All those things combined are why I found especially that final scene of the Trespasser ending intriguing and exciting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Ks_Ykwgq0

Not to mention, the ending Solas scene screencapped in the OP? So damn good. His appearance? The music? Solas turned into such an awesome character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHy697Y9Ro

That Inquisitor, Divine, and Dread Wolf trinity, with the Chantry, Inquisition, Orlais, Ferelden, Tevinter, and Qunari all having strong motivations or misgivings going into the next story, it just sets up the political backdrop superbly.

Rozart

I completely agree, DA:I and Trespasser was amazing. Still pretty perplexed at why people continue to shit on the game but to each his own

I've put hours and hours on end into DA:I. I even double-dipped on this game. But the criticisms about the bloated fetch quests and busy work were very valid imo. And Corypheus was a weak villain who was thwarted by you at every major point in the game-- thus, invoking very little dread or sense of urgency on the Inquisitor's part. The main quests (while well-crafted and well-done) felt disappointingly short when it's been interspersed with just endless amount of mindless filler-- especially when compared to DA:O's and even DAII's meatier content.

I'm super excited to see Tevinter. I wonder if they'll do another dual location like in DA:I (Ferelden and Orlais), would be amazing to get to see Antiva, Nevarra or the Anderfels

Or even Tevinter/Seheron seeing as how the Vints are at war with the Qunari. Aaa, the game's probably still a long ways off but I'm still excited for DA4.

I've put hours and hours on end into DA:I. I even double-dipped on this game. But the criticisms about the bloated fetch quests and busy work were very valid imo. And Corypheus was a weak villain who was thwarted by you at every major point in the game-- thus, invoking very little dread or sense of urgency on the Inquisitor's part. The main quests (while well-crafted and well-done) felt disappointingly short when it's been interspersed with just endless amount of mindless filler-- especially when compared to DA:O's and even DAII's meatier content.

There are very valid criticisms about the game (agree with pretty much all you mentioned) but I see more posts that describe DA:I like such complete garbage that's not even worth playing. The difference between a great, albit flawed game and a shitfest is so small for some people these days, it's really disheartening

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
All the big revelations we have so far are from Solas' perspective, so I wonder if details are murky if they come from other sources.

Also, really dislike how he handled Grey Warden. Like, he's all angry about Grey Warden trying to kill the slumbering Old Gods in desperation to stall possible Blight and yet he didn't explain why, only that "it would make it worse" Worse how? Nu uh, he ain't telling :/

Well, despite that he's a really an interesting character. I can understand why players both love him and love seeing him getting punched by their Inquisitors, lol.

Murman

I wanna check out this DLC so badly, but I must have forgot to save my game save to the Origin cloud (if it even has one?) and I can't stomach/don't have time for another playthrough of the main game.

It's a shame really, I imagine choices from the main game carry over/have an impact here?

Plus the problem I always have with RPGs, there's no character like your first one :( (especially when you lose them by accident lol)

Herne

I just finished playing this, midway through Origin's cloud service ate my saved games. I had to resurrect an old save and try to find a similar point midway through the game. Man was I pissed when Iron Bull turned on me in Trespasser (and here I thought I'd saved the correct game where I did everything perfectly). From now on, local storage for me.

I thought inquisition was a bad game but liked Solas. This DLC seems pretty great

I mean, they've still got the rest of the Elvish 'gods,' the Black City, the rest of the Old Gods, and the Titans to bring into the story in a big way if and when they choose to.

I think BioWare does a good job of giving themselves a lot of options for future storylines within the Thedas universe.

If this wasn't explicitly a Dragon age thread this could be a word for word stand in for a World of Warcraft story speculation thread.

Haven't played the DLC but this seems like a good setup to me. But isn't it kind of bonkers that you won't play as the same character in the next game? I mean, it's weird when the character you are playing have no history with Solas but you as a player has. Feels like it ruins some of the setup. Because you will play a new character in the next game right?
The inquisitor will take a back seat and likely still be involved in the story as a secondary character.

I guess the question now is that depending on how long it takes them they'll have to update that site of theirs for choosing in-game options for the story and allow you to customize your inquisitor as well.

If I were them though seems like a pain in the ass to have them for anything more than a few scenes in the next game. Male and female inquisitors had at least two voice options each so they'd have to record lines with 4 different people and that's besides the new characters

TheFatMan

It's amazing how many people don't even know the DLC exists or played it (the trophy % on PS4 are abysmal).

All three of the DLC's are very well done and worth playing. Story building dialogue and great environments make all three of them worth it, and I paid full price at release for them. Still didn't regret it.

The game and it's DLC are one of those things GAF unfairly hates. The game itself isn't perfect, but it's no where near as bad as the vocal minority on this site would have you believe.

Yopis

Will be same tired story. Only you can save the world. Must recruit someone from every race and cult. Come together for a lame boss fight the end.

I put over 200 hours into Inquisition due to combat dragons ECT. Done for good until Bioware changes things up.

Horns

I so wish I could get the DLC so I could finish the story. I finished it DA on 360, but upgraded to a PS4, so I can't transfer my progress.

Kinyou

Bioware has a bit of a problem with making dlcs too story critical. The whole setup from ME3 was based on the "the arrival" dlc. The antagonist from DA:I was introduced in a DA2 dlc and now DA:I's real ending was a dlc.

Patryn

Bioware has a bit of a problem with making dlcs too story critical. The whole setup from ME3 was based on the "the arrival" dlc. The antagonist from DA:I was introduced in a DA2 dlc and now DA:I's real ending was a dlc.

Saying "the whole setup" is very, very, very generous. The Arrival is very disposable and honestly has very little impact on the whole thing. You already knew the Reapers were coming at the end of ME2, ME3 doesn't really change that.

Now, in the original beginning of ME3 it was more crucial.

Dang, this thread is making we want to go back and revisit DAI. I'm a fan of every game in the series but in some ways I struggled to connect with Inquisition as much as I did the previous games. Besides which, on my first playthrough I pretty much ignored Solas (no special reason, just focused on other party members I clicked with more) so that took some of the impact out of the ending.

Keasar

Yea the DLC is great and Bioware fucked up by shitting it out a year after release. No one has played or seen it, everyone recalls disliking the ending of Inquisition vanilla. Its their own bed they made.

I'm starting to get a pattern here.

Bioware releases a game that is "meh" to most players upon completion and then releases a DLC with major story bits that will be important for the sequel.

Dragon Age 2 ended the same with me going "meh" at the end and then not play any of the DLC, one of which was apparently a important introduction to the major villain of Inquisition.

You kinda wish Bioware would take the hint and bake in the important story sequences into the main game and do off-shoots with the DLC, supplementary stuff that CAN tie into the main game but doesn't have to and best case stands on its own.

Like The Witcher 3.

I never played the DLC, given I got finished but was rather burnt out on the main game. Still Solas was possibly the most interesting character, and could make a much better villain than Corphyeus, who was a terrible villain.

Will be interested if they learn a thing or two from the Witcher series...

Complistic

Like The Witcher 3.

It's pretty much life if

Witcher 3 spoilers:
The game ends after you find CIri and they charged you another $20 to rid of the world of the wild hunt.

Absolutely shameless way of squeezing every penny out of your customers and I can't believe people are fine with it.

xealo

Sounds awesome, maybe, you know, they could have included it in the actual game?

I'd be surprised if there were another dragon age game honestly.

In terms of financials DA:I had the best selling launch period Bioware ever had according to EA.

Don't mistake GAF negativity about the game to imply it sold poorly.

Wulfram

I don't think Trespasser is actually very critical to the story. Its mostly significant as a lore reveal, and Bioware will presumably make the same revelations in DA4.

TheYanger

It's pretty much life if

Witcher 3 spoilers:
The game ends after you find CIri and they charged you another $20 to rid of the world of the wild hunt.

Absolutely shameless way of squeezing every penny out of your customers and I can't believe people are fine with it.

Except it's not like that at all, because it's not something you even had any idea was related to the story of the game until AFTER the credits. It's literally expanding on an after-credits fucking scene that you didn't even realize was the hidden meaning to the plot until that time, and the plot itself has 0 reliance upon it. It's not like the game is called Dragon Age 3: Fen'Harel, or he appears mocking you throughout the game or anything like the Wild Hunt.

I agree that Corypheus is very by the numbers and the Solas stuff is what elevates the story a lot (The game is good regardless, but the main plot is pretty ho hum overall as Corypheus is concerned), but he's still not important to the story.

It's much more Analagous to Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy - important in the grand scheme, but of little relevance to that actual movie.

Top Bottom