• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The set up for the next Dragon Age is pretty awesome. Inquisition/Trespasser SPOILERS

5pjc.jpg

WARNING SPOILERS BELOW

So i just beat the Trespasser DLC for the first time, and honestly not only was it a great piece of DLC imo, but damn did it get me excited for the next Dragon Age. I thought the entire way they handled the backstory of Fen'Harel (Solas) was awesome. How he actually is the one who created the Veil, and his motivations seem very understandable (even if I don't agree with it). I thought the writing in the DLC was really well done.

Bioware have laid out an exciting scenario for Dragon Age 4, Elves vanishing to join Solas army, The Inquisition either in tatters or serving the Chantry, Solas attempting to destroy the Veil and restore the ancient Elven kingdoms, and what looks like a hint that we may be going to Tevinter in the next game. And it looks like this will be more of a direct sequel than 2 or Inquisition were. The Inquisitor is going to be recruiting new allies and facing Solas head on. Which makes me wonder who you play as in the next title. I doubt its the Inquisitor themselves but it would seem they would have a major part in the plot. Honestly this DLC was so well done, it feels like it should be the real ending for the game, and its a bummer so few people have actually played it (only a 3% completion on PS4)

Maybe a bit of a random thread, but having just beaten it I wanted to get my thoughts out on it a bit. I was really impressed and hope we don't have to wait too long to see the next game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea the DLC is great and Bioware fucked up by shitting it out a year after release. No one has played or seen it, everyone recalls disliking the ending of Inquisition vanilla. Its their own bed they made.

Schlorgan

That does sound really good. I really need to get around to finishing Trespasser.

I actually liked the vanilla ending, but it's cool to see where they're going.

It is the real ending for the game from everything I've looked into (I only skimmed your post, OP, because I'm still working through Inquisition myself!). It's the game's epilogue.

Rymuth

I agree it's also ballsy as fuck. Bioware essentially used the entirety of Inquisition as a prologue/backstory to introduce the big bad. Just think - an 60+ hr campaign to make the conflict with the big bad feel personal. That's...really jaw-dropping when you think about it.

Normally, I'm pretty hard on games that resolve nothing/aren't self-contained (see: Darksiders 2) but somehow, Bioware pulled it off with DA:I+Trespasser.

Ps: I also love how the other DLCs foreshadow Trespasser. Jaws of Hakkon is a huge hint that your inquisition is destined to become corrupt,

Yea the DLC is great and Bioware fucked up by shitting it out a year after release. No one has played or seen it, everyone recalls disliking the ending of Inquisition vanilla. Its their own bed they made.

Yeah when I saw the completion rate when I checked the trophies it hugely bummed me out. Trespasser is easily one of the best parts of the entirety of Inquisition and the vast majority of players have no idea any of this stuff happened.

I agree it's also ballsy as fuck. Bioware essentially used the entirety of Inquisition as a prologue/backstory to introduce the big bad. Just think - an 60+ hr campaign to make the conflict with the big bad feel personal. That's...really jaw-dropping when you think about it.

Normally, I'm pretty hard on games that resolve nothing/aren't self-contained (see: Darksiders 2) but somehow, Bioware pulled it off with DA:I+Trespasser.

Ps: I also love how the other DLCs foreshadow Trespasser. Jaws of Hakkon is a huge hint that your inquisition is destined to become corrupt,

Indeed and I love how Solas isn't just a typical big bad because he's evil, because of course he is. I thought they did an excellent job with establishing the characters motivations and why he would be an adversary in the next title. I honestly can't wait to see where they go with his story

Necron

Solas has the potential to be one of the best vilians ever in the next game.

Edit: It's all the more devastating if you played as a female elf inquisitor in that game and had a relationship with him. Holy smokes!

That's a bummer that the dlc is so good, I really have no drive to learn to play again, not to mention trying to remember everything that happened when I played at launch.

Solas was also my favorite character of the game, his dialogue was soo good.

Solas was also my favorite character of the game, his dialogue was soo good.

Yeah the dialogue you have between The Inquisitor and Solas at the very end of Trespasser is so well done. It all just feels so personal. Bioware did a fantastic job on writing / creating that character

Phamit

Yeah I agree, the set up for the next one is awesome and Solas is could the best Antagonist the series had so far, because he isn't the pure evil, the motive is understandable.

Another thing that makes me hopeful is that Patrick Weekes Lead Writer of Trespasser is now the Lead Writer for the Dragon Age series after Gaider left

TheYanger

So Bioware made players pay extra for the real ending of the game, in other words.

Nah. It's definitely the best 'ending' in the game, but the default ending to the game is fine and makes perfect sense too, and still hits the important notes.

It still would've been better not as DLC of course, but Inquisition is a complete product without it.

Trespasser was absolutely fantastic, definitely the strongest out of Bioware's DLCs for me. I had three Inquisitors (one BFFs with Solas, one romancing him, one hating him), and it was awesome to see the variations with Solas play out, really satisfying. I loved the scale and art direction - my favorite moment was in the room with mural, and the Dread Wolf statue watches you while you move around the room. THANKS, SOLAS. My only complaint is that it is a bit of a recurring frustration with a lot of Bioware's DLCs end up being extremely plot relevant to the future of the franchise. Trespasser felt more relevant that the 90% of DA:I.

Yeah, it's a fantastic way of putting it. I loved how the plot reveals of DA:I tie into Origins and DA2, it makes some moments retrospectively quite interesting. DA:I is my least favorite of the franchise, but the time taken with the Solas set-up should lead to some really satisfying pay-off. I'd rather we didn't play the Inquisitor again, as I feel like it's quite hard it games to believably and enjoyably feel like you're running an organization. I'd rather play a rebelling Tevinter slave, or something, more like a DA:O set-up.

I just want the Hero of Fereldan to play a role in the next/final game. He/she started it all, and it would be fitting to get to return to that character. Bonus points if we get to play as the DA:O character.

And bring back Oghren, just for the lolz.

TheYanger

I think that was the best partof DA:I, making 2 feel relevant. Like, 1 was a great game, 2 was an interesting idea for a story saddled with a terrible game, but it never felt connected. Inquisition ties it all together very well, and the whole Solas angle is amazing. They do a great job of making it feel like it's all kind of been leading to this.

I just want the Hero of Fereldan to play a role in the next/final game. He/she started it all, and it would be fitting to get to return to that character. Bonus points if we get to play as the DA:O character.

The problem with this is that it's entirely possible for the Hero (and hawke) to be dead. The Inquisitor is the only guaranteed living protagonist.

Rymuth

Trespasser felt more relevant that the 90% of DA:I.
I might be giving Bioware too much credit here, but the meandering around was necessary to get to know Solas so that the revelation in Trespasser hits hardest. Solas was set up as the go-to-guy for all the answers so naturally you'd (or in my case, me) would lean on him and take his advice very seriously...you spend dozens of hours with this guy so the betrayal feels very personal.

nivorae

So Bioware made players pay extra for the real ending of the game, in other words.
I would not say so.

Inquisition started as a story that was about sealing the Veil, destroying Corypheus and life during the mage/templar war that started in DA2's ending. It was interesting to have Corypheus as a villain as he was one of the magisters that crossed into the fade, entering the golden city to being purged and bringing back the blight.
And it worked well exploring those themes for most part, it felt like a posthumous chapter further exploring the existence of the darkspawn taint.

However the ending of the bas game did feel lackluster, because later on the game become more and focussed on elven lore as foreshadowing. We explore the temple of an ancient elven god, we actually meet said god. This became more engaging as the story of Corypheus, the breach and the mage/templar conflict already were on path to be finished.

What my point is that Trespasser went further with the established elven lore that started to simmer through under influence of Solas in the party. It feels like a great ending because it is so extremely well written. It is not really an ending but more the set up for next game, similar to how Legacy showed the freeing of Corypheus during DA2.

Also general mention to the Inquisition DLC, they where all three written really well. Of course Trespasser is the best but what the Descent has set up with Titans, their blood being Lyrium, thralling with a song, a dwarf becoming proficient with magic, ... Thrills me even more, it is completely new territory and seems to have importance for elven lore too.

ironcreed

Banned
I need to play it then. As I loved the hell out of the game. There just have been so many other releases that I never bought any of the DLC.

JayEH

They did this with DA2 as well, setting up the villain in a dlc for the next game...they need to stop this nonsense.

Heartfyre

Played through the game late but with all the DLC, and I was just captivated from beginning to end. Trespasser was also personal in that my Inquisitor, as a Tal-Vashoth Qunari, allied with the Qunari and let Bull's squad die. Of course, then he suddenly betrays you since he's all-in on the Qun after that. Had to slay him myself, and it stung.

Really can't wait for that Dragon Age IV announcement. Hopefully this year, when Andromeda is out of the way. DA:I was truly GOTY 2014, and no one on GAF is going to convince me otherwise.

I might be giving Bioware too much credit here, but the meandering around was necessary to get to know Solas so that the revelation in Trespasser hits hardest. Solas was set up as the go-to-guy for all the answers so naturally you'd (or in my case, me) would lean on him and take his advice very seriously...you spend dozens of hours with this guy so the betrayal feels very personal.

Yeah, that's definitely a fair enough comment. My first Inquisitor was BFFs with him and I used him a lot, so Trespasser definitely packed some punch. It definitely made the betrayal sting a lot more. As you said earlier, DA:I is essentially a bait and switch on the prologue/backstory for the big bad, which is pretty unique as far as game set-ups go.

Humdinger

Never played it. I had lost my DA save and sold the game disc by the time the DLC came out.

I assume you need to have the full game in order to play the DLC?

Nabbis

Would be even better if i get the option of aiding him in the next DA. Dude had enough balls to fuck with metaphysics, who am i to judge him?

Yeah when I saw the completion rate when I checked the trophies it hugely bummed me out. Trespasser is easily one of the best parts of the entirety of Inquisition and the vast majority of players have no idea any of this stuff happened...

really unfortunate...

recently went back & picked up where i left off (finished main story), doing all side-quests/dlcs, collecting all collectibles, & killing dragons, had a blast, &, yeah, to play the game without playing trespasser is to miss out on the game's true, & very satisfying, ending. wtf is it with bioware & it's 'real ending coming soon' policy? :) ...

Lanf

Agreed! Tresspasser was top tier DLC. A brilliant set up that might make Solas the most interesting villain Bioware has created to date.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Best part of the DLC was if you ask Solas to hurry it up, he summarizes everything in 2 sentences and moves on.

Kirie

Completely agreed, it was fantastic. My main Inquisitor was an elf and romanced him, and oh man it hit hard, especially when he removes her vallaslin and then nopes out of the relationship :(

Then playing Tresspasser it hits even harder and I was almost in tears at their exchange at the end. He almost second guesses himself, and you can beg him to join him, but it's just not meant to be.

I know a lot of people make fun of Bioware romances, but his was honestly amazing in how it was handled imo. I felt so bad for my Inquisitor lol

Yeah I never got around to playing Trespasser, so as far as I know DA:I's ending was basically "¯_(ツ)_/¯" and then Morrigan narrated something and then roll credits.

Pretty shitty. I hope they have a decent lead-in for folks who didn't play catch up with the dlc so long afterward.

Vamphuntr

I really want to see Tevinter at last but after all the hype they had set up for Val Royeaux it was a disappointment. A bunch of corridors with peddlers on the side.

This is also the second time in a row they have critically important story DLC released after the game. (ME3 Leviathan being the other one).

Completely agreed, it was fantastic. My main Inquisitor was an elf and romanced him, and oh man it hit hard, especially when he removes her vallaslin and then nopes out of the relationship :(

Then playing Tresspasser it hits even harder and I was almost in tears at their exchange at the end. He almost second guesses himself, and you can beg him to join him, but it's just not meant to be.

I know a lot of people make fun of Bioware romances, but his was honestly amazing in how it was handled imo. I felt so bad for my Inquisitor lol

Man I can only imagine how brutal the betrayal would be while romancing him. That exchange I tried to convince him there was another way, and told him we were going to work to redeem him not kill him and man it hit hard. You can tell Solas is somewhat second guessing himself on what he is doing but he feels it's his duty to his people. Powerful stuff.

Man if they handle him right he will be a top tier antagonist in the next game

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

What doesn't help for those on PC, bioware coins lul and dumb pricing making buying the legendary edition more viable than just getting the dlc.
Also I will never again buy another Bioware DLC given that I never the price value point was all that satisfying especially after playing Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

Ushay

This would be great.

OT - I agree, this DLC was very good especially in contract to how the Vanilla game ended. Fen Harel will a great antagonist to go against, the writing is finally starting to makes sense. I just hope they stop spreading out their games to be standalone compartmentalised units, they need to relate them for players to be invested in the first place much like Mass Effect did, that being said the next game will be a good opportunity to go back to this method of storytelling.

Voror

I rather wish I had played the DLC since this in particular sounds much better than the actual ending in the main game. Don't have the disc anymore either. Hopefully the GOTY version goes on sale on PSN sometime in the future again. I didn't consider it that one time it was like $15.99 but wish I had now.

Curious if we'll see DA4 this generation or not.

Ridesh

Banned
It is, and also it is a shame that only 3% of players have played Trespasser, it elevates DAI story do damn much.

Solas has the potential to be one of the best antagonists ever.

evi

I'm glad it's good, gives me some faith in the next Dragon Age and Andromeda. I had to force myself to finish Inquisition, I hope they don't allocate the good stuff to DLC next time.

Top Bottom