• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The set up for the next Dragon Age is pretty awesome. Inquisition/Trespasser SPOILERS

Cleve

Huh, I never played any of the inquisition dlc. I thought Solas was totally underused though.

I don't think I have my save anymore, and don't know if I want to play through again. Can I hop in to the DLC early or does it require a post game save?

Patryn

Huh, I never played any of the inquisition dlc. I thought Solas was totally underused though.

I don't think I have my save anymore, and don't know if I want to play through again. Can I hop in to the DLC early or does it require a post game save?

Post game. It's an epilogue and occurs after the ending.

xealo

Requires a post game save being loaded up. It doesn't appear on the wartable in your base until Corypheus is dead.

Kalentan

Honestly I actually sort of like that Trespasser is DLC and not just part of the main game. Hear me out.

If it had been part of the main game it could have worked but would no doubt need a lot of changes to be made. The DLC works because if you played at launch and then picked up the DLC, you were just like the Inquisitor, you hadn't seen a lot of your companions in a while and so having conversations with them about what they've been up to works so well. I also feel like it might have been a bit jarring to go from the original ending to the Trespasser section.

Honestly I actually sort of like that Trespasser is DLC and not just part of the main game. Hear me out.

If it had been part of the main game it could have worked but would no doubt need a lot of changes to be made. The DLC works because if you played at launch and then picked up the DLC, you were just like the Inquisitor, you hadn't seen a lot of your companions in a while and so having conversations with them about what they've been up to works so well. I also feel like it might have been a bit jarring to go from the original ending to the Trespasser section.

As someone who played through the GotY edition I had no idea trespasser was DLC and not just an epilogue ending.

Huh, i'm going to have to finish DA:I and pick up this DLC. Did DA:I sell well enough that we're likely to get another one?

Gordito

Neo Member
I'm going to be disappointed if the Inquisitor isn't the protagonist of DA4; the conflict with Solas is theirs and they shouldn't have to share the spotlight with a new player character.

I'm going to be disappointed if the Inquisitor isn't the protagonist of DA4; the conflict with Solas is theirs and they shouldn't have to share the spotlight with a new player character.

Uhh, the ending of Tresspasser pretty much confirms that the Inquisitor isn't going to be the next player character.

I'm pretty confident you won't be playing as the Inquisitor because during the ending they specifically tall about how they need people Solas doesn't know. At this point all of Thedas is aware of who Inquisitor is. Basically they need to work from the shadows so Solas doesn't see / know exactly how they are trying to stop them.

I expect the Inquisitor to be a major part of the story in the next game but not your actual player character

I'm pretty confident you won't be playing as the Inquisitor because during the ending they specifically tall about how they need people Solas doesn't know. At this point all of Thedas is aware of who Inquisitor is. Basically they need to work from the shadows so Solas doesn't see / know exactly how they are trying to stop them.

I expect the Inquisitor to be a major part of the story in the next game but not your actual player character

Considering they made a big stink about the DA website for housing all of your choices and character designs...I would think they'd use that data and the Inquisitor extensively in the next game. Plus, I'd wager they'll bring some of the DA: Origins and 2 band back together--Morrigan and Liliana, if the Inquisition is corrupted, will want to know how and why (for different reasons). Hawke and THE Warden are still out there...plus some of the other Grey Wardens that you may have had a hand in creating.

Plus, we never did hear anything more on Shale since DA:O--he would be an excellent character to bring back to us.

Oh, and calling my shot now--Sandal as a playable character with romance options. ;)

Ralemont

not me
I think it makes sense for the Inquisitor to not be the PC because I suspect Solas won't be the main antagonist of DA4. He will certainly be the "arch-villain" in the background manipulating events, but I think someone with a more tangible connection to the setting of DA4 (Tevinter) is going to be the immediate antagonist.

So the setup makes sense as thus: DA4 protagonist and antagonist will both be pieces moved into place by the Inquisitor and Solas respectively as each tries to undermine the other and assert their dominance in Thedas.

And if there is ever a final battle with Solas, you can bet they'll have the Inquisitor there.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I liked DA: I a lot. Dumped like 102 hours into the main game. Didn't play the DLC though. Was just too far off and wanted to sell off my copy before the prices dropped.

Sucks that the Trespasser is so central to the story apparently. Hopefully if a sequel comes out they build the story content into it somehow, or put out a video version or something to catch people up.

TheYanger

I don't see inquisitor as the pc, but you'd probably be a part of their team. A) they're missing an arm. B) if you don't disband the inquisition they're pretty explicitly like "My time in the field is done" or some shit.

Flipside, if you do disband my inquisitor was like "Let's go fuck his shit up".

Patryn

Considering they made a big stink about the DA website for housing all of your choices and character designs...I would think they'd use that data and the Inquisitor extensively in the next game. Plus, I'd wager they'll bring some of the DA: Origins and 2 band back together--Morrigan and Liliana, if the Inquisition is corrupted, will want to know how and why (for different reasons). Hawke and THE Warden are still out there...plus some of the other Grey Wardens that you may have had a hand in creating.

Plus, we never did hear anything more on Shale since DA:O--he would be an excellent character to bring back to us.

Oh, and calling my shot now--Sandal as a playable character with romance options. ;)

Only in some games. We're in an ME2 situation where they are potentially dead for a bunch of players, so I would expect either to have a minimal to non-existent role in DA4.

Seriously, I honestly expect we will never hear from either again.

Honestly, I think the only returning character that we know of that will be a teammate will be Harding. The only other realistic possibility I could see is Fenris.

Schlorgan

Only in some games. We're in an ME2 situation where they are potentially dead for a bunch of players, so I would expect either to have a minimal to non-existent role in DA4.

Seriously, I honestly expect we will never hear from either again.

Honestly, I think the only returning character that we know of that will be a teammate will be Harding. The only other realistic possibility I could see is Fenris.

I can see an ME3 situation where some that could have died come back as companions. Hawke will most likely come back, even if it's just as an NPC. I can see Meryl and Isabella coming back as companions or NPC's.

Patryn

I can see an ME3 situation where some that could have died come back as companions. Hawke will most likely come back, even if it's just as an NPC. I can see Meryl and Isabella coming back as companions or NPC's.

The difference is that Garrus and Tali were popular. Even then, a writer had to fucking fight hard to get Tali included as a squadmember.

Hawke's story is more than over at this point, and he has nothing to do with Tevinter.

Merrill and Isabella aren't that popular and the series has moved on.

Herne

Hawke's story is more than over at this point

Unless you
let Stroud remain in that stupid cutscene to "fight" the demon and Hawke lived and went off to Weisshaupt
, and given the hints on what's happening at Weisshaupt, he's not done yet.

Peroroncino

The set up for Inquisition was also awesome with the ending of DA2 and yet, they blew it. They totally sidelined the
Templar vs Mage
conflict in favor of some generic world threat.

xealo

It's also pretty hard to be a hero in the main spotlight when
you only have one functional arm left after trespasser, so there's that.

Patryn

Unless you
let Stroud remain in that stupid cutscene to "fight" the demon and Hawke lived and went off to Weisshaupt
, and given the hints on what's happening at Weisshaupt, he's not done yet.

That's what I did, but I still stand by my point. The Grey Warden story may not be over, but Hawke's is. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I just believe that it's highly unlikely we see Hawke again.

Yeul

The most I can see happening is a dual protagonist situation with the Inquisitor having a small playable role to confront Solas but the majority of the time it would be a new PC. That would be my ideal scenario to avoid the DA:I Hawke thing.

Yea, it really hyped me for 4. Had to ask Shinobi how long we were looking for the sequel. The final dialogue with Solas, the inquisition in court and the set up "new" team around the table was so cool.

Hoping it'll be what I'm expecting.

Herne

That's what I did, but I still stand by my point. The Grey Warden story may not be over, but Hawke's is. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I just believe that it's highly unlikely we see Hawke again.

You could be right. Another person I don't think is coming back is Leliana based on some of her endings.

JerkShep

I'm more excited for Dragon Age 4 than Andromeda despite being much more into Mass Effect (well..before the ending and Mass Effect 3 in general). And I have a lot of problems with Inquisition as a game but it managed to revive a setting that after 2 I thought was unsalvageable.

I'm going to sound like an asshole, but hopefully they avoid putting too much "vital" informations in comics/books/extended universe stuff. I'm totally fine with DLCs having important stuff but I don't want to read subpar comics and novels to understand the next game. Inquisition was guilty of that in the Orlesian plotline and with Cole, plus some other minor things. Never been a fan of extended universes in general, the gaps in quality and the amount of inconsistencies are too evident

The set up for Inquisition was also awesome with the ending of DA2 and yet, they blew it. They totally sidelined the
Templar vs Mage

The Mage-Templar stuff for me was the least interesting thing they could have picked from DAO to use as a base for a sequel. There are infinitely more interesting parts of the setting to explore and uncover.

Renekton

Templar vs Mage
The conflict is pretty tired and forced at this point.

Yeul

I'm going to sound like an asshole, but hopefully they avoid putting too much "vital" informations in comics/books/extended universe stuff. I'm totally fine with DLCs having important stuff but I don't want to read subpar comics and novels to understand the next game. Inquisition was guilty of that in the Orlesian plotline and with Cole, plus some other minor things. Never been a fan of extended universes in general, the gaps in quality and the amount of inconsistencies are too evident

I have so much to say about this but I'll save it for later lmao. I guess I'd preface myself by saying that the DA novels and World of Thedas books are probably one of the only "extended" reading I do for a game (other than ME or The Witcher I guess) since I enjoy the world. However, for what it is worth, I agree with you with regards to how information is conveyed.

Jetman

Anyone want to start taking bets on the PC's title in DA4?

We've had:
Warden
Champion
Inquisitor

What's next?

Arishok

:)

If we don't get to see Nevarran Tomb cities or the Tevinter Imperium up close than I'd love to see how the Quinari live under the Qun in their own home environment.

Yea, it really hyped me for 4. Had to ask Shinobi how long we were looking for the sequel. The final dialogue with Solas, the inquisition in court and the set up "new" team around the table was so cool.

Hoping it'll be what I'm expecting.

I actually don't think it's too super far off. Betting it releases 2 years from now. We already know it's in active development

Patryn

I actually don't think it's too super far off. Betting it releases 2 years from now. We already know it's in active development

I think their hope is 2019.

I think realistically we're looking at 2020.

Bioware has pretty much moved to the Ubi model where, while one studio is the creative lead, all the studios work on the current project. I believe the plan is for the mysterious new IP to be next from Bioware once Andromeda (and its DLC) is out, and then DA4 after that.

Peroroncino

The conflict is pretty tired and forced at this point.

At the end of DA2 the conflict hit its boiling point and an all out war erupted, I expected some major battles between the 2 sides, but no, they scrapped it, and for me it was a huge disappointment, especially so when considering what conflict we got in its place, for me
Corypheus
was as generic as you can get.

Yeul

Forgot to add that losing your arm makes your inquisitor look even more badass.

Before Trespasser came out I data-mined the files and saw that model of the formal attire with the missing arm and I thought it was such a good idea. Then add to the fact that the DLC's story was so clear, concise, and had a sense of drive that I was like "wow she finally has a personality!" I always liked my Inquisitor, even in the main game, but yeah all of a sudden her "interesting character" factor went up by 1000.

Before Trespasser came out I data-mined the files and saw that model of the formal attire with the missing arm and I thought it was such a good idea. Then add to the fact that the DLC's story was so clear, concise, and had a sense of drive that I was like "wow she finally has a personality!" I always liked my Inquisitor, even in the main game, but yeah all of a sudden her "interesting character" factor went up by 1000.
Yea, it leads into what I believe the inquisitor becomes next game. Sort of a boss character that'll lead the new protagonist on missions and such.
It's awesome if they don't do what I fear them doing which is brushing the Inquisitor completely under the bus because they don't want to have to deal with it.

I hope they allow you to play as the Inquis again and don't reboot you because after a point, resetting and saying "well what you did was kinda important but not enough" isn't okay anymore. I need some level of continuity beyond having Leli in it again.

The game finally being in Tevinter is gonna be amazing though.
Don't believe we'll be playing with the inquisitor, like I posted above I believe the inquisitor will be our boss and leader of our new group. Not playable as a result.
End of Trespasser was definitely awesome imo... basically sets up the trinity: The Inquisitor, The Divine, & The Dread Wolf.

...Especially for me because my Inquisitor romanced Cassandra, who became The Divine (and looks absolutely awesome in her Divine plate mail), and then my Inquisitor decides to basically became her own personal army.

- So, you have the large forcer instead of the smaller force -- more susceptible to Solas' spies but that actually could make the story more intriguing
- You have the whole Chantry/Inquisition angle, with even more reason for Ferelden and Orlais to be suspect of the Inquisitions power.
- And you have the Divine/Inquisitor romance, conflict of reason, doubling the reason to be suspect of motivations.
- The Tevinter and Qunari foreshadowing.

All those things combined are why I found especially that final scene of the Trespasser ending intriguing and exciting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Ks_Ykwgq0

Not to mention, the ending Solas scene screencapped in the OP? So damn good. His appearance? The music? Solas turned into such an awesome character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHy697Y9Ro

That Inquisitor, Divine, and Dread Wolf trinity, with the Chantry, Inquisition, Orlais, Ferelden, Tevinter, and Qunari all having strong motivations or misgivings going into the next story, it just sets up the political backdrop superbly.
Holy shit does this sound awesome. I romanced Cassandra as well but she didn't become the divine, Vivienne became it in my game. I hope that Bioware doesn't ignore how your playthrough played out; Divine/Inquisitor romance, conflict of reason, doubling the reason to be suspect of motivations and being her personal army sounds so cool.

Did anyone comment about your conflict of interest from the romance in your playthrough?

Olengie

I wish Bioware included all the DLC in the disc during the GOTY rerelease just like they did Origins Ultimste Edition

Yeul

Yea, it leads into what I believe the inquisitor becomes next game. Sort of a boss character that'll lead the new protagonist on missions and such.

Yes, that seems the most likely scenario. I like doing the whole "let's operate from the shadows" thing. The very last scene with the Inquisitor, Cass, Leliana, and Harding was excellent. Some of my favorite characters in that scene alone. My other favorites were obviously Solas and Dorian.

Yes, that seems the most likely scenario. I like doing the whole "let's operate from the shadows" thing. The very last scene with the Inquisitor, Cass, Leliana, and Harding was excellent. Some of my favorite characters in that scene alone. My other favorites were obviously Solas and Dorian.
Yea, I was a fan of that scene also and they had my favorite characters there too.

Phamit

Do you think cutting the arm was enough to stop the effects of the Anchor?

Maybe they forgot it, but if it was that easy Solas would have mentioned it. So It could just delay the death of Inquisitor

Lord Phol

I was very burned out on Inquisition after playing through it and haven't even looked at any of the DLCs, but seems I might have to get this one at least.

Top Bottom