• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons - Season 28 |OT| - Sundays at 8 on FOX | Pre-Show Marathons at 4 on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

The final episode of the Simpsons 30th year in existence airs this Sunday. I don't expect it to be very good given the preview clips and the fact that Jeff Westbrook is attached. His track record with Christmas episode is not good (Kill Gil: Vols. 1 & 2) and seems to revolve around periphery characters crashing the Simpsons house for the holidays. His overall track record isn't much better.

On the bright side, Decade #4 for our favorite family will kick off in grand style with the hour-long The Great Phatsby courtesy of Matt Selman and Dan Greaney. It will enjoy an NFL playoff lead-in so should command a pretty large audience, too.

There's a Christmas-themed episode mini-marathon on FXX this weekend preceding the new episode... although it lacks two of the most revered episodes in Marge Be Not Proud and Holidays of Future Passed presumably to make this new episode appear to suck less than it likely will. Incidentally, I don't mind the Drew Barrymore recasting for Sophie. I think Natasha Lyonne will do just fine. The animation direction this week looks really nice as well. Rob Oliver is one of the best at this.

THE NIGHTMARE AFTER KRUSTMAS - Sunday, December 11th | Episode Production Code = WABF02 (#606) / Writer = Jeff Westbrook

KRUSTY AND HIS DAUGHTER SPEND CHRISTMAS WITH THE SIMPSONS

Clip #1 - The Sweetest Christmas Ever
Clip #2 - A Very Krusty Christmas Special
Clip #3 - Krusty Has a Spiritual Awakening

The_Nightmare_After_Krustmas_6.png
The_Nightmare_After_Krustmas_2.png
The_Nightmare_After_Krustmas_1.png
The_Nightmare_After_Krustmas_promo_6.png
The_Nightmare_After_Krustmas_3.png
The_Nightmare_After_Krustmas_4.png

Natasha Lyonne, Hockey Hall of Fame Player Wayne Gretzky and Comedian Jackie Mason Make Guest-Voice Appearances

Krusty tries to impress his daughter as they spend Christmas with the Simpsons. Meanwhile, Reverend Lovejoy seeks converts after church attendance plummets, and Maggie is haunted by a spooky Christmas toy.

Just an FYI that there's a Christmas-themed Simpsons mini-marathon airing on FXX this Sunday afternoon in advance of the premiere of The Nightmare After Krustmas...

4:00pm Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
4:30pm Miracle on Evergreen Terrace
5:00pm Grift of the Magi
5:30pm Homer vs. Dignity
6:00pm Skinner's Sense of Snow
6:30pm 'Tis the Fifteenth Season
7:00pm White Christmas Blues
7:30pm I Won't Be Home for Christmas

Tapejara

Still got to catch up on a couple episodes, but I'll definitely tune in tomorrow night. No matter the quality I'm always down for some Christmas Simpsons. That said, doing a Christmas marathon without Marge Be Not Proud is nuts!

UberTag

That might have been the worst opening act to any episode I've watched since that Treehouse of Horror where Homer ate his own limbs and then communicated via farts thanks to being paralyzed by a radioactive spider.

Tapejara

I agree the opening act was pretty awful.I thought the episode really picked up in the second act though. The whole episode was nothing to write home about (and that ending was pretty abrupt), but I really enjoyed the Maggie subplot, and I got a good couple of laughs in overall.

aadiboy

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Marge's voice has improved. It wasn't super rough in this episode like in other recent episodes.

UberTag

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Marge's voice has improved. It wasn't super rough in this episode like in other recent episodes.
Julie's delivery fluctuates drastically depending on the director and the engineer.
Some are clearly better than others in this department.

Gazunta

The latest episode almost looked like there was...oh what's the word...animation in it. There was the faintest hint of stretch and squash even! It looked a lot livelier than recent episodes that's for sure.

UberTag

The latest episode almost looked like there was...oh what's the word...animation in it. There was the faintest hint of stretch and squash even! It looked a lot livelier than recent episodes that's for sure.
That's Rob Oliver's latest gimmick. He's really gravitated towards exaggerated character and facial animations in his recent episodes. There was quite a lot of it in The Town as well.

brian577

Banned
That's Rob Oliver's latest gimmick. He's really gravitated towards exaggerated character and facial animations in his recent episodes. There was quite a lot of it in The Town as well.

I heard it was because Film Roman is no long producing. It's now being produced by Fox Television Animation

UberTag

I heard it was because Film Roman is no long producing. It's now being produced by Fox Television Animation
Moving control of the animation in-house and removing a middle man certainly helps with directorial freedom but that step alone doesn't just make the animation automatically more fluid and expression-filled.

Individual directors like Rob still shape how the look of the episode turns out... just as they always have. The Town was NOT produced at Fox Television Animation. The Night After Krustmas WAS produced at Fox Television Animation. And yet The Town still managed to turn out scenes like this...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That has everything to do with Rob Oliver.

UberTag

That he is... and that's about all of the preview hype for tomorrow night's episode I can muster. Fox didn't even bother to upload preview clips for the episode outside of the above video which is astoundingly uncharacteristic. I'm not expecting much outside of the publicity stunt angle.

It will draw a larger than typical viewing audience due to being slated immediately after the NFC wild card game between the Giants and the Packers.

Next week's HOUR-LONG episode, by contrast, will be getting significant hype and attention from yours truly.

CpWz1YOVUAAAvM8.jpg

UberTag

Been watching tonight's new post-football episode as it airs earlier in Canada.
It's been pretty disposable. But not awful.
Unfortunately, for an episode all about things that bring you joy, this episode didn't bring me much.

UberTag

NEW SIMPSONS EPISODE HYPE ALERT

Yeah, it's finally time to hype up the most anticipated episode of the season...

800px-The_Great_Phatsby_banner.jpg

THE GREAT PHATSBY - Sunday, January 15th | Episode Production Codes = WABF04 & WABF05 (#s 608 & 609) / Writers = Dan Greaney & Matt Selman / Showrunner = Matt Selman

FIRST-EVER ONE-HOUR EPISODE OF ”THE SIMPSONS"

FOX Promo - Hip-Hop Homie

Clip #1 - The Simpsons Are Invited To A Party At Mr. Burns' Estate
Clip #2 - Mr. Burns' Party Turns Out To Be A Disappointment
Clip #3 - Mr. Burns Splashes His Cash And Flings The Bling
Clip #4 - Homer Is Overcome With Happiness
Clip #5 - Praline Surprises Bart
Clip #6 - The Life Of Excess Has Left Mr. Burns Broke
Clip #7 - Homer Helps Mr. Burns Seek Revenge

What Is A Special? A Special Goes To Dark Places
What Is A Special? A Special Creates New Characters
What Is A Special? A Special Takes It To The Hoop
What Is A Special? A Special Is A Chance To Escape
What Is A Special? A Special Has Guest Stars That Are Too Big To Get... If You Weren't A Special

Behind the Scenes w/ Keegan-Michael Key
Behind the Scenes w/ Snoop Dogg

The_Great_Phatsby_Part_Two_promo_2.png
The_Great_Phatsby_Part_One_promo_2.png

TheGreatPhatsbyPromo3.png
The_Great_Phatsby_Part_Two_promo_3.png

Taraji P. Henson, Keegan-Michael Key and musicians Snoop Dogg, RZA and Common Make Guest Voice Appearances

Mr. Burns tries to relive his glory days, and crosses paths with a mysterious music mogul. After being conned by him and reduced to bankruptcy, Mr. Burns seeks revenge on the music producer with the help of Homer, Bart, rapper Jazzy James and the mogul's ex-wife, Praline. Also, Lisa is courted by the richest kid in town, Smithers begins a perilous journey and Marge opens an obscure boutique store.

FXX Marathon Theme - Musical Theater

4:00pm All Singing, All Dancing (S9E11 / 5F24 / 1998)
4:30pm Wild Barts Can't Be Broken (S10E11 / AABF07 / 1999)
5:00pm Faith Off (S11E11 / BABF06 / 2000)
5:30pm New Kids on the Blecch (S12E14 / CABF12 / 2001)
6:00pm The President Wore Pearls (S15E3 / EABF20 / 2003)
6:30pm Lisa Goes Gaga (S23E22 / PABF14 / 2012)
7:00pm Covercraft (S26E8 / TABF02 / 2014)
7:30pm How Lisa Got Her Marge Back (S27E18 / VABF11 / 2016)

For the record, while this episode airs at its regular 8pm Eastern / Pacific timeslot on FOX in the United States, it will be airing one-hour earlier in Canada at 7pm Eastern / Pacific on Global.

UberTag

Final reminder for tonight's hour-long episode.
I've laughed out loud 4 times in the first 10 minutes during its airing in Canada.
That's a great hit ratio for the HD era. Should be a good one.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm not getting the episode until like 11 because I live in Wisconsin and the Packers are apparently doing well so my Fox Affiliate has to go crazy for it.

vypek

Final reminder for tonight's hour-long episode.
I've laughed out loud 4 times in the first 10 minutes during its airing in Canada.
That's a great hit ratio for the HD era. Should be a good one.

Okay. This sounds great. I'm really excited for this episode now. :)

I'm not getting the episode until like 11 because I live in Wisconsin and the Packers are apparently doing well so my Fox Affiliate has to go crazy for it.

EDIT: Oh, right. This is going to cause a time delay for episodes for me as well. Good thing I'm watching live instead of off DVR.

aadiboy

I thought it was good, though the Lisa and Marge subplots went nowhere. I wonder if Jay G will become a regular character? Probably not. Funniest moment was probably the ex-wife throwing food out of nowhere.

Also, we have way too many Burns episodes this season. If Shearer needs to be appeased, at least do some episodes with his other characters, like Flanders or Skinner.

Richie

I can't find the source right now, but I once read that back in season 2, the writers became absolutely enamoured with Mr. Burns' character and pitched lots of premises surrounding him, to the point where they had to be actively told to get the focus back on the Simpsons family.

Not that such has any impact 26 years later with an almost entirely different staff, but it's amusing to think about. How didja like the premiere, UberTag?

UberTag

I can't find the source right now, but I once read that back in season 2, the writers became absolutely enamoured with Mr. Burns' character and pitched lots of premises surrounding him, to the point where they had to be actively told to get the focus back on the Simpsons family.

Not that such has any impact 26 years later with an almost entirely different staff, but it's amusing to think about. How didja like the premiere, UberTag?
Tonight's special was solid. Great jokes. A lot of care and attention developing the main plot. The subplots were largely time-padding fluff but they did serve to space out the core Burns vs. JG storyline so we wouldn't feel completely overwhelmed by it.

I appreciate most HD era episodes where legitimate care and effort were spent and you can clearly see the time invested. They somehow made an episode revolving around Burns with a rap theme work. Really enjoyed the running gag bits with Smithers and his crusade to bring back ice from Canada.

Not as good as There Will Be Buds but it's easily the 2nd best episode of the season.

FYI, there is yet another Burns-centric episode slated for later this season that spoofs the Trump University scandal. Mr. Burns starts up his own school to extort student loans from the government granted to bogus students who are actually androids. Because that sure makes sense.

Tapejara

Caught up on Sunday's episode. I thought the second half dragged a bit, but overall it was a good episode. In agreement that the jokes about Smithers in Northern Canada were great. Hope the writers get to do this again next season.

vypek

This Sunday's hour-long special pulled off an impressive 5.1 rating and tracked 14.08 million viewers... the most for any Simpsons episode since Season 21's Once Upon a Time in Springfield back in 2010.

Seems like it was quite the success (NFL lead-in accounted for a lot of this, naturally).
Also, might give FOX pause when it comes time to decide whether to end the show after 30 seasons.

Not just lead in but run in as well since the game and post game show ran into the time slot. I was really annoyed about that but I'm curious how it would have done with normal time constraints. Still, pretty nice that a decent episode probably got more exposure this way

UberTag

Just a heads up that there are new Simpsons episodes airing tonight AND next week. I don't exactly have high expectations for either of them so set your expectations accordingly.

Tonight's repeat airing of The Town will include an added Easter Egg reference to last weekend's miracle comeback Super Bowl victory for the "Boston Americans". That might actually be more exciting than anything in tonight's episode... and it's a solid Selman episode and well worth rewatching.

The Kamp Krusty sequel is set to air the weekend after the Oscars. I anticipate hyping that one up a bit so look forward to that.

UberTag

Tonight's episode was better than I was expecting. A solid 2.5/5.
That said, both subplots were wholly disposable and ended without much in the way of a resolution.
The episode was also a mite reference-happy... and, outside of Fitzcarraldo, treaded over territory they've tackled many times before.

The Arby's joke got me again. They always get me.

vypek

Tonight's episode was better than I was expecting. A solid 3/5.
That said, both subplots were wholly disposable and ended without much in the way of a resolution.
The episode was also a mite reference-happy... and, outside of Fitzcarraldo, treaded over territory they've tackled many times before.

The Arby's joke got me again. They always get me.

As soon as I saw the sign I thought to the episode "Das Bus" when they made another Arby's joke. lol. So far the episode isn't bad at all. Not hilarious but I think its better than a lot of more recent episodes that have been on in years.

There was a joke with a podcast that appears to have been a cutaway. That was pretty surprising to see.

UberTag

The Simpsons returns with new episodes beginning this weekend with the long-awaited Kamp Krusty sequel... which, given the promos released thus far, has me not exactly anticipating the episode that much any more.

KAMP KRUSTIER - Sunday, March 5th | Episode Production Code = WABF09 (#612) / Writer = David M. Stern

BART AND LISA RETURN FROM CAMP TRAUMATIZED

ezgif.com-resize%205.gif

Lizzy Caplan and Michael Sheen Make Guest-Voice Appearances

When Bart and Lisa return home abruptly after a traumatic incident at Kamp Krusty, they put an end to Homer and Marge's romantic encounters. Without sex to distract him, Homer becomes a more productive worker and caring husband, but Marge misses the old Homer. Then, Bart and Lisa return to camp to confront the source of their trauma.

Of course not. Nobody ever ages in the Springfield bubbleverse.

I've been think about his concept for the longest time, but if they ever do reboot The Simpsons I'd like to see the same cast aged up a few years (Bart as a freshmen in high school, Maggie talking, etc.

Joni

I've been think about his concept for the longest time, but if they ever do reboot The Simpsons I'd like to see the same cast aged up a few years (Bart as a freshmen in high school, Maggie talking, etc.

A lot of shows have tried that. None of them were good.

UberTag

If that's what you're looking for, last season's Barthood will deliver that (well, aside from Maggie talking that is).
It's a pretty strong episode in its own right, too.

Dishwalla

Banned
You'd think Kamp Krusty would have been shuttered after the complete clusterfuck that was the first episode(Kent Brockman covered it on the news and even said it was worse than Iraq during Desert Storm). But I guess this is The Simpsons and plenty of things in Springfield that shouldn't exist after various episodes somehow still do.

Tapejara

Kamp Krustier was much better than I had expected. It obviously doesn't hold a candle to the original, but for a modern episode it was rather enjoyable. They got some good jokes in there, and I thought having it take place right after the original was a good choice - solid 7/10 episode.

Joni

I loved the Homer story and the episode in general is quite enjoyable. Unless they don't follow up on that tease. I'll be there, watching, in 24 years.

Moving control of the animation in-house and removing a middle man certainly helps with directorial freedom but that step alone doesn't just make the animation automatically more fluid and expression-filled.

Individual directors like Rob still shape how the look of the episode turns out... just as they always have. The Town was NOT produced at Fox Television Animation. The Night After Krustmas WAS produced at Fox Television Animation. And yet The Town still managed to turn out scenes like this...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That has everything to do with Rob Oliver.
I'm super late to this thread (and catching up to the season in general) but I just saw The Town and yeah, the animation was supoib. I was so floored by it, I almost made a thread highlighting it, but I thought I should check the OT first, super glad to see it pointed out. There was a great bit with Homer struggling to put on the Boston hat that had really great moments too. (someone gif this!)

Is there any way to find out who did the animation directing in this one? It stood out so much. If there is a name behind it, I would certainly like to keep an eye out for any future involvement in upcoming episodes. I see you mention it's Rob Oliver! Will keep a watch for his name in episodes to come!

There was a really well posed out scene with Moe in the bar and guys that was reminiscent of the animation in The Town, and I'm almost certain it's the same person. I can't specifically remember the scene, I'm hoping you have a better memory of it Ubertag, lol. I'd love to watch it again.

Has the rest of the season had any standout animation too?

UberTag

I'm super late to this thread (and catching up to the season in general) but I just saw The Town and yeah, the animation was supoib. I was so floored by it, I almost made a thread highlighting it, but I thought I should check the OT first, super glad to see it pointed out. There was a great bit with Homer struggling to put on the Boston hat that had really great moments too. (someone gif this!)

Is there any way to find out who did the animation directing in this one? It stood out so much. If there is a name behind it, I would certainly like to keep an eye out for any future involvement in upcoming episodes. I see you mention it's Rob Oliver! Will keep a watch for his name in episodes to come!

There was a really well posed out scene with Moe in the bar and guys that was reminiscent of the animation in The Town, and I'm almost certain it's the same person. I can't specifically remember the scene, I'm hoping you have a better memory of it Ubertag, lol. I'd love to watch it again.

Has the rest of the season had any standout animation too?
It varies by director. Last night's episode had its moments and was also directed by Rob Oliver. Matthew Nastuk is also quite good. As is Mike B. Anderson, who serves the role as supervising director for the entire series (essentially the Al Jean equivalent for the animation department) who largely doesn't do his own episodes any more but did make an exception for last season's excellent Halloween of Horror.

Those are the three names in particular you want to look out for when it comes to quality these days. Michael Polcino and Matthew Faughnan are also pretty consistent. David Silverman is pretty much retired these days but also makes the occasional cameo (most recently directing the couch gag from Treehouse of Horror XXVII). He's the grandfather director of the series having directed most of the shorts from the Ullman Show when they first hit the airwaves almost 30 years ago.

As for the specific scene you referenced, I'll need a little more context then just referring to a well-animated scene in Moe's Tavern. Looking up the names of the episodes linked to those directors on WikiPedia might help narrow the odds down. Here are the episodes linked to Rob Oliver... although this page has not been updated to account for Kamp Krustier.

UberTag

So there's a new episode airing tomorrow... and I'm actually sort of excited for this one. Which is odd, seeing how it's not a Selman episode and I'm not a big fan of Joel H. Cohen.

They're employing a format-bending sports doc approach for this episode with a lot of 4th wall breaking material that mirrors the format of ESPN's 30 for 30 series. The promotional clips are quite promising.

22 FOR 30 - Sunday, March 12th | Episode Production Code = WABF10 (#613) / Writer = Joel H. Cohen

BART GOES FROM SLACKER TO STAR

22%20for%2030.gif

FOX Promo
Couch Gag - Guest Directed by Bill Plympton
Clip #1 - Homer Nervously Watches As Bart Plays Basketball
Clip #2 - Show Business is Everyone's Business
Clip #3 - Bart Rips Off the Mob

In this parody of a cable sports show, Bart goes from delinquent with detention to the star basketball player at Springfield Elementary. Lisa covers Bart's success for the school paper, and Homer becomes the team's coach. Things go awry when Bart gets involved with the mafia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom