• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons - Season 27 |OT| - Sundays at 8 on FOX | Pre-Show Marathons at 4 on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just caught up on this season a few days ago. I was happy to see Marge using Bender as a safe. Because we need to remember that from now on, Bender is as much a part of the basement as that giant Olmec head. Forever.

UberTag

Just caught up on this season a few days ago. I was happy to see Marge using Bender as a safe. Because we need to remember that from now on, Bender is as much a part of the basement as that giant Olmec head. Forever.
If there's ever a 2nd Simpsons Movie, I would be shocked if Bender isn't featured in it. He'll be employed for visual gags and the like until then.

Tapejara

I missed the last two episodes, but managed to catch this week's. Most of the jokes were hit and miss for me. The B-plot was pretty boring and mostly throwaway stuff, but I did like Lisa's story. I also enjoyed the waterpark scene at the beginning.

Ogodei

I liked the human hair pipe in the background of the water park control room. They still do good attention to detail.

UberTag

I feel kinda ashamed for laughing at the snow segment. Had some good jokes.
Nothing shameful about laughing at gags that work.
Unfortunately the rest of the episode failed to keep up with that opening act.
Hoping for better results next week.

UberTag

Let's hope being optimistic about an episode in advance works out better for me this week than it did last week. This is a Selman episode so I'm expecting at LEAST a 2.5/5 score. His episodes are almost always worth watching at the very least and the released clips seem promising - even if they give too much of Act 1 away. Brian Kelley's scripts have been consistently decent as well.

THE MARGE-IAN CHRONICLES - Sunday, March 13th | Episode Production Code = VABF09 / Writer = Brian Kelley / Showrunner = Matt Selman

LISA SIGNS UP FOR THE MARS ONE SPACE COLONY

Clip #1 - Checkmate
Clip #2 - The Next Big Leap
Clip #3 - Faking It

The_Marge-ian_Chronicles_promo_1.png
The_Marge-ian_Chronicles_promo_3.jpg

The_Marge-ian_Chronicles_promo_6.jpg
The_Marge-ian_Chronicles_promo_4.jpg

Tom Scharpling and Jon Wurster (“The Best Show”) Make a Guest Voice Appearances

Lisa volunteers for a future one-way journey to Mars, much to Marge's chagrin. As she searches for a way to convince Lisa not to go, Marge hits upon the most devious strategy of all, and volunteers to go along for the ride. Will the Simpson girls be mankind's first residents of the Red Planet?

FXX Marathon Theme - The Final Frontier (3:00pm special start time)

giphy.gif

3:00pm Deep Space Homer (S5E15 / 1F13 / 1994)
3:30pm Bart's Comet (S6E14 / 2F11 / 1995)
4:00pm Treehouse of Horror VII (S8E1 / 4F02 / 1996)
4:30pm Treehouse of Horror IX (S10E4 / AABF01 / 1998)
5:00pm Treehouse of Horror X (S11E4 / BABF01 / 1999)
5:30pm 'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky (S14E16 / EABF11 / 2003)
6:00pm The Man Who Came to Be Dinner (S26E10 / RABF15 / 2015)
6:30pm The Musk Who Fell to Earth (S26E12 / TABF04 / 2015)

UberTag

This season hasn't been that bad imo, better than the last.
Only three outright terrible episodes out of 15 is probably a record for the HD era. We've had seasons where we've had three of those in a row.
Hell, Season 11 has streaks like that.

Tapejara

I quite enjoyed this week's episode. The second act had some good jokes mixed in, the overall plot was solid - and I'll admit I'm a sucker for anything space-related.

I've always been one of those people who is vocally opposed to newer Simpsons episodes, but I've just watched a few of Season 27 - I'm surprised!

When did the quality start going up?

It's still not on par with the older era (although that's probably a bias that I'll find hard to shift) but it's refreshing to see glimpses of good writing - and interesting stories. It's more amazing that I've found myself entertained!

As I've missed out on a lot, is there a decent review source that people tend to trust when it comes to episode rankings? Not just for Season 27, but for the show as a whole?

UberTag

I've always been one of those people who is vocally opposed to newer Simpsons episodes, but I've just watched a few of Season 27 - I'm surprised!

When did the quality start going up?

It's still not on par with the older era (although that's probably a bias that I'll find hard to shift) but it's refreshing to see glimpses of good writing - and interesting stories. It's more amazing that I've found myself entertained!

As I've missed out on a lot, is there a decent review source that people tend to trust when it comes to episode rankings? Not just for Season 27, but for the show as a whole?
There are certainly mixed opinions about a lot of episodes so you won't find one solid resource for "these episodes are great" / "these episodes should be avoided". I try to break that down as best as possible in the OPs of each of these season threads but, even there, you're going to find some subjectivity in play.

That said, the consensus favorites both at IMDB and NoHomers.net definitely correlate. If an episode has a score of 7.3 or higher at IMDB it's probably worth watching. You should definitely make an effort to cherry pick through the hidden gems because there are plenty of bad episodes out there that will make you question why you ever entertained giving modern Simpsons another chance.

Of course, I can always give you a safe list of episodes to start with.

If you're going to take a chance on recent episodes, don't just grab one at random. Seek out recommended episodes, go in with an open mind (they're not going to equal the classic era) and you might wind up surprised.

Here are seven quick recommendations from earlier this decade...
- The Book Job (Season 23, Episode 6)
- Holidays of Future Passed (Season 23, Episode 9)
- A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again (Season 23, Episode 19)
- Steal This Episode (Season 25, Episode 9)
- Brick Like Me (Season 25, Episode 20)
- Halloween of Horror (Season 27, Episode 4)
- Barthood (Season 27, Episode 9)
As for when the quality started going up, I would argue it was when Al Jean decided to give up showrunner duties for 4 episodes a season and let Matt Selman show him what a fresh and motivated approach to the gig would look like. It's actually encouraged Jean to stop phoning it in all the time itself. Season 23 was rocky because it was when Selman was getting his feet wet and Jean was especially complacent outside of Holidays of Future Passed.

UberTag

I've got a packed weekend and Sunday night brings with it far too many distractions so I'm getting this out of the way right now. There IS a new Simpsons episode this week. Only 6 episodes to go until the end of the season... let's see if we can add a third to the "highly recommended" column before the season is out.

THE BURNS CAGE - Sunday, April 3rd | Episode Production Code = VABF10 / Writer = Rob LaZebnik

HOMER TURNS TO A DATING APP TO HELP FIND SMITHERS A BOYFRIEND

Clip #1 - Tom Collins
Clip #2 - Installation
Clip #3 - Human Resources

The_Burns_Cage_promo_4.jpg
The_Burns_Cage_promo_3.jpg

The_Burns_Cage_promo_2.jpg
The_Burns_Cage_promo_1.jpg

George Takei Makes a Guest-Voice Appearance

When Smithers is devastated by Burns’ lack of affection towards him, Homer makes it his mission to find him a boyfriend. Meanwhile, after Bart orchestrates the removal of the lead in the school’s stage production of “Casablanca,” Milhouse serves as a terrible understudy, which frustrates his co-star, Lisa.

FXX Marathon Theme - The Rainbow Connection

6a00d83451c28269e2017c3246e816970b-800wi

4:00pm Simpson and Delilah (S2E2 / 7F02 / 1990)
4:30pm Homer the Smithers (S7E17 / 3F14 / 1996)
5:00pm Homer's Phobia (S8E15 / 4F11 / 1997)
5:30pm Pygmoelian (S11E16 / BABF12 / 2000)
6:00pm Three Gays of the Condo (S14E17 / EABF12 / 2003)
6:30pm There's Something About Marrying (S16E10 / GABF04 / 2005)
7:00pm Homer Simpson, This Is Your Wife (S17E15 / HABF08 / 2006)
7:30pm Lisa Goes Gaga (S23E22 / PABF14 / 2012)

Socreges

Banned
It's pretty surreal to think that I haven't paid attention to this show in 15 years and I read an episode description saying:

"When Smithers is devastated by Burns’ lack of affection towards him"

That's the premise of their entire, series-long relationship. Smithers' unrequited love.

But sure.

Joni

Lindsey Naegle and Blue-Haired Lawyer looked weird this episode.
This was so not the first time The Simpsons had a Bogard-like kid, right?
Equus and Noah Wyle references are weirdly niche.
Story was heartwarming, outside of the over the top Cuban accent.

vypek

The original girl that was set to play Ilsa sounded different than usual to me. And now I can't remember if her name was what it used to be either. But maybe I am thinking of incorrect people.

EDIT: I think they called her Jackie this episode but her name used to be Janey

Joni

The original girl that was set to play Ilsa sounded different than usual to me. And now I can't remember if her name was what it used to be either. But maybe I am thinking of incorrect people.

Don't think it was meant to Janey Powell, but they kind of look similar.

vypek

Don't think it was meant to Janey Powell, but they kind of look similar.

Ah gotcha. I thought it was a situation where the lost the voice actor for Janey so they changed the name and carried on with a new actress.

Joni

Ah gotcha. I thought it was a situation where the lost the voice actor for Janey so they changed the name and carried on with a new actress.

Janey is done by Pamela Hayden, who does Milhouse so she was there. The new girl was seemingly done by Tress MacNeille, who also does Lindsey Naegle and Dolph.

UberTag

Was rather disappointed in last night's episode. The main plot was rather trite. Waylon and Julio had no chemistry whatsoever. There were a couple decent jokes here and there but I never felt invested. The unfortunately named Flaming Moe from Season 22 was much better... although I did enjoy the 4th act wrap-up with Smithers giving Milhouse advice on unrequited love in the bar. That was a nice touch.

Speaking of that Casablanca subplot, the twist was a cop out, Bogart kid wasn't exactly funny and it just seemed like another lame vehicle for the writers to throw in a bunch of references to classic cinema that they like to do from time to time.

Thankfully for FOX, there were plenty of bigger disappointments on television last night.

I have high hopes for next week's episode as it's a script from classic era mainstay Jeff Martin... his first since Homer's Barbershop Quartet.
His legacy of episodes includes Three Men and a Comic Book, I Married Marge and Lisa's First Word.

Next week's subplot also seems to feature what may be the show's very first Bart and Maggie-focused storyline.

Tapejara

Was rather disappointed in last night's episode. The main plot was rather trite. Waylon and Julio had no chemistry whatsoever. There were a couple decent jokes here and there but I never felt invested. The unfortunately named Flaming Moe from Season 22 was much better... although I did enjoy the 4th act wrap-up with Smithers giving Milhouse advice on unrequited love in the bar. That was a nice touch.

Speaking of that Casablanca subplot, the twist was a cop out, Bogart kid wasn't exactly funny and it just seemed like another lame vehicle for the writers to throw in a bunch of references to classic cinema that they like to do from time to time.

Thankfully for FOX, there were plenty of bigger disappointments on television last night.

I have high hopes for next week's episode as it's a script from classic era mainstay Jeff Martin... his first since Homer's Barbershop Quartet.
His legacy of episodes includes Three Men and a Comic Book, I Married Marge and Lisa's First Word.

Next week's subplot also seems to feature what may be the show's very first Bart and Maggie-focused storyline.

I agree with you. I was rather disappointed to see Smithers paired up with Julio, if only because he lacks any depth. The Smithers/Milhouse scene (and the Bogart/Moe adventure following it) was quite nice though. The Casablanca plot was underwhelming; I love that movie and was excited to see what they did with it.

Has anyone ever talked about the... easter eggs (?) that happen in SO MANY MODERN episodes?

Like, just the really random shit that seems added in for no reason in the background.

It's just so strange.

UberTag

I have higher expectations for this Sunday's episode than I do for anything else left this season. That might change if Selman starts to chirp on Twitter about having another episode in this run but that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

The conflict they've set up for this episode is especially smart. Lisa finds out that her mother hates jazz and has been merely paying her lip service when playing her saxophone. As Lisa is largely driven by making her mother proud, this revelation understandably crushes her.

I'm expecting the rest of the story beats in the main plot will likely go over the same territory as Make Room for Lisa and Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words except with the focus being on Marge instead of Homer. There's easily potential for this to surpass both of those episodes if some of the emotional intensity from Pay Pal can be tapped into.

The good news is that Julie Kavner's delivery in the episode preview clip is on point. Given how her Marge has been all over the map depending on direction, that's an encouraging sign. We've also got a fun Bart-Maggie subplot to look forward to... and, seeing how this is Jeff Martin's first episode in 22 years, I'd like to think he wouldn't come back just to deliver something half-baked.

HOW LISA GOT HER MARGE BACK - Sunday, April 10th | Episode Production Code = VABF11 / Writer = Jeff Martin

MARGE TAKES LISA ON A GIRLS’ WEEKEND

Clip #1 - The Truth Comes Out
Clip #2 - So Long
Clip #3 - It's Garbage Day

How_Lisa_Got_Her_Marge_Back_promo_1.jpg
How_Lisa_Got_Her_Marge_Back_promo_4.jpg

How_Lisa_Got_Her_Marge_Back_promo_3.jpg
How_Lisa_Got_Her_Marge_Back_promo_2.jpg

Andrew Rannells (“Girls,” “The Book of Mormon”) Makes a Guest-Voice Appearance

After getting into an argument, Marge takes Lisa on a touristy trip to Capital City, where, after attending a musical, they meet the show’s star, Andrew Rannells (guest-voicing as himself), who reminds Lisa how lucky she is to have such a great mom. Meanwhile, Bart is frustrated that everyone expects his pranks, so he teams up with Maggie to trick people.

FXX Marathon Theme - Lis Margerables

tumblr_mlh386r61P1rs4ijvo1_250.gif
tumblr_mlh386r61P1rs4ijvo2_250.gif

tumblr_mlh386r61P1rs4ijvo3_250.gif
tumblr_mlh386r61P1rs4ijvo4_250.gif

4:00pm Moaning Lisa (S1E6 / 7G06 / 1990)
4:30pm Lisa the Skeptic (S9E8 / 5F05 / 1997)
5:00pm She of Little Faith (S13E6 / DABF02 / 2001)
5:30pm All's Fair in Oven War (S16E2 / FABF20 / 2004)
6:00pm The Mook, the Chef, the Wife and Her Homer (S18E1 / HABF15 / 2006)
6:30pm Four Great Women and a Manicure (S20E20 / LABF09 / 2009)
7:00pm The Daughter Also Rises (S23E13 / PABF06 / 2012)
7:30pm Luca$ (S25E17 / SABF12 / 2014)

Richie

Impressions on NoHomers seem mixed at best and overall not impressed. Will judge by myself when I watch it. I was hoping a script penned by someone from the 'ole guard could swing it out of the stadium, we'll see...

Tapejara

I didn't think it was that good. Solid episode and I got quite a few laughs out of it, but the main plot was rather underwhelming. I think that when a show's lasted as long as The Simpsons it becomes much harder to do these types of episodes because they've either been explored multiple times before, or in this episode's case you know everything is going to return to normal in next week's episode.

UberTag

The execution left a lot to be desired. There was a lot of padding for time and filler (Broadway puns, ahoy) and the episode seemed insistent to rush through the story beats to zero emotional effect. Wound up rather disappointing as a result.

Hopefully we'll get a motivated J. Stewart Burns in a couple weeks (arguably the show's best writer when he tries) and not "phoning it in" J. Stewart Burns whose episodes turn downright awful when he allows them to be defacto run by committee.

Ahasverus

Aw the quality went down :( It's not on 25 levels, but it started so good. I think writers should retire classic cinema and broadway from their references list. They feel so.. anachronic.

UberTag

Aw the quality went down :( It's not on 25 levels, but it started so good. I think writers should retire classic cinema and broadway from their references list. They feel so.. anachronic.
It would be one thing if they were able to come up with fresh and witty parodies.
The unfortunate reality is that their forays into both sectors these past two weeks have been tired, rehashed and not funny or clever at all.
Furthermore, their indulgence in them comes at the expense of storytelling and effective pacing.

UberTag

Before I forget to bump this thread for your weekly episode reminder, there's a new episode tonight. FOX is trying to avoid the show's first-ever 3-in-a-row string of sub-3 million viewer audiences. Hopefully J. Stewart Burns brought his A game. We already know that Eric Goldberg most assuredly did.

Scope out that Disney homage couch gag if you have yet to do so. It's something special.

FLAND CANYON - Sunday, April 24th | Episode Production Code = VABF12 / Writer = J. Stewart Burns

THE SIMPSONS AND FLANDERS TAKE A TRIP TO THE GRAND CANYON

FOX Promo
Clip #1 - Blessed
Clip #2 - So Satisfying
Clip #3 - When Nature Calls

Fland_Canyon_promo_1.jpg
Fland_Canyon_promo_2.jpg

Fland_Canyon_promo_3.jpg
Fland_Canyon_promo_4.jpg

Homer recalls a tense family vacation to the Grand Canyon with the Flanders family. At first, the Flanders’ perfection puts the families at odds, but when they get stranded and Ned and Homer go for help, the families finally bond.

Maengun1

Tuned in tonight a couple minutes late and with no prior knowledge, did a triple-take when I saw Maude. I feel like I miss her being around, but I'm 99.4% sure that's just nostalgia.

Ahasverus

I just catched up with "friends with benefits".. Wow, that's what I call a solid episode. Felt season 8-ish. "Better than expected" is the motto of this season isn't it? Sad the cancellation ghost is starting to creep up.

UberTag

I just catched up with "friends with benefits".. Wow, that's what I call a solid episode. Felt season 8-ish. "Better than expected" is the motto of this season isn't it? Sad the cancellation ghost is starting to creep up.
Seems that way. Even episodes I was underwhelmed by (and that was one of them as you can tell from my rankings in the OP) seem to win over a handful of people. There have only been 3 to 4 episodes in total that have been dreadfully subpar and that's a minute number compared to many recent HD seasons.

I haven't watched an episode in probably 5 or 6 years (and even back then it was only out of morbid curiosity). I don't just have fond memories of the glory days of Simpsons, I still regularly rewatch the first 8-9 seasons.

I gave a few episodes of this season a shot, but gave up when I went back and watched the first episode, where Homer and Marge break up (again...really?) and he starts dating a pharmacist.

I don't even have words. Like, what happened to this show? Who still watches it and looks forward to it? Every other primetime animated show is leagues better. It's boring, the show moves along like it isn't even interested in its own stories. The characters all deliver phoned in forced jokes to each other and....dude it just is awful.

Can you imagine the legacy Simpsons would have had if it went off the air at Season 10, 11, or 12 at the latest? Man I really want this show to die. That Flanders grand canyon episode was lifeless as hell.

Tapejara

I haven't watched an episode in probably 5 or 6 years (and even back then it was only out of morbid curiosity). I don't just have fond memories of the glory days of Simpsons, I still regularly rewatch the first 8-9 seasons.

I gave a few episodes of this season a shot, but gave up when I went back and watched the first episode, where Homer and Marge break up (again...really?) and he starts dating a pharmacist.

I don't even have words. Like, what happened to this show? Who still watches it and looks forward to it? Every other primetime animated show is leagues better. It's boring, the show moves along like it isn't even interested in its own stories. The characters all deliver phoned in forced jokes to each other and....dude it just is awful.

Can you imagine the legacy Simpsons would have had if it went off the air at Season 10, 11, or 12 at the latest? Man I really want this show to die. That Flanders grand canyon episode was lifeless as hell.

I still get enjoyment out of watching new episodes. Watching the show on Sunday's has been a tradition for years now; it's something I still like doing whether the episodes are good or bad. I'd also argue that the quality of the show is much better than other primetime animated shows like Bordertown or modern Family Guy. Bob's Burgers is the current king though.

Not every episode is going to be a hit after twenty-seven years (and I agree, that episode where Homer and Marge date other people was pure garbage), but there are still some entertaining episodes being produced.

UberTag

THIS right here is why I tell people to only watch the good episodes and avoid the ones that make them wish the show was dead.

THIS is why I go through the trouble to make a ranked list of episodes worth watching every season and update it into the OP.

THIS is why I never make blanket statements to just "watch the show again, it's good now" and why I always, ALWAYS insist on recommending individual episodes.

I don't sit through the crap eps for my health. I do it so I can continue to be an advocate for The Simpsons in 2016 without feeling like an idiot when someone gets the bright idea to watch the episode where Homer and Marge separate and get new partners but not really because it was really a dream... or wait THIS was really a dream... or, actually wait, THIS was a dream of some character we don't even know.

The Simpsons HAS a great legacy. It will continue to have a great legacy no matter how much longer it runs. I'm thankful it's still on the air because I got to enjoy episodes like Halloween of Horror and Barthood this season. Not every episode is phoned in... it's just an unfortunate fact that a lot of them are. Don't pretend for a second that FOX has something better to air in its timeslot. They don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom