• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons 600 Marathon |OT| | Starting Thursday at Noon EST / 9am PST on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The human chess board is the best in Hit and Run, love going through there and running them all over. It's even more fun on the little blue ATV from the trailer park.

I remember the gold rocket car and the aquacar, did the downtown area have a secret vehicle? I guess the destroyed monorail head counts.

Dishwalla

Banned
I remember the gold rocket car and the aquacar, did the downtown area have a secret vehicle? I guess the destroyed monorail head counts.

Yeah. Rocket car was level 1, monorail was level two, aquatic car was level 3, blue ATV was level 4, green monster truck was level five, pink Cadillac at the Planet Hollywood was level six, and the RC car on top of the Krusty Burger was the last level.

mreddie

436436.gif

UberTag

TOE is very enjoyable if you like the 3 tale format.

Also shoehorned Frankie Muniz for no reason.
Fox was in full-fledged Malcolm in the Middle shill mode when this episode aired.
I'm surprised it took them until Season 23 to finally land Bryan Cranston.

UberTag

I love that in this episode Homer keeps going back to the bag boy strike story
The nonsensical callbacks made the gag funnier. Shame about the rest of the episode.

Didn't Jane get added around S13?
Regrettably yes. Needless to say, I don't miss Judge Harm. Judge Snyder is infinitely superior.
She might be the least funny recurring character on the show.
Even the woefully underutilized Miss Hoover is a barrel of laughs compared to Judge Harm.

mreddie

I still think Simpsons to Florida is the weakest one of the Travel episodes.

Regrettably yes. Needless to say, I don't miss Judge Harm. Judge Snyder is infinitely superior.
She might be the least funny recurring character on the show.

Made just for a Judge Judy expy.

UberTag

I still think Simpsons to Florida is the weakest one of the Travel episodes.
I would have agreed with you on this... until we were delivered sorely unmemorable trips to Paris and Cuba in the past calendar year.

At least the Florida ep had the memorable "I like that" diner owner.

I like The Parent Rap(her debut episode) and I don't care who knows it.
Marge had the best line in that episode...

863738.gif

mreddie

I would have agreed with you on this... until we were delivered sorely unmemorable trips to Paris and Cuba in the past calendar year.

At least the Florida ep had the memorable "I like that" diner owner.

Yeah I heard they botched the recent travel eps.

I'm like "How do you botch the Paris trip? You spent the last 25ish years mocking them perfectly."

UberTag

Recommended Episodes from Season 14

4:30pm Special Edna - Dennis Snee
Bart feels sorry for Mrs. Krabappel after Principal Skinner stands her up, so he nominates her for the Teacher of the Year Award.
5:00pm The Dad Who Knew Too Little - Matt Selman
Homer hires a private detective to spy on Lisa so he can get to know more about her after he disappoints her with an insensitive birthday gift.
9:00pm 'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky - Dan Greaney & Allen Glazier
Lisa chooses a career path in astronomy after a snobby British filmmaker makes her feel that her life lacks direction.
12:00am Moe Baby Blues - J. Stewart Burns
Homer and Marge permit Moe to baby-sit Maggie after she takes a shine to the bartender after he inadvertently saves her life.

UberTag

Do you like Mr. Spritz Goes To Washington? I think that may be my favorite from season 14.
I don't have a strong opinion for or against it. It's easily superior to most recent attempts from the show to poke fun at politics like E Pluribus Wiggum, Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson and The Kid Is All Right.

That said, I think it had some pacing challenges. Would have liked to have seen more focus on Krusty's congressman gig instead of spending the first two acts getting him elected.

UberTag

Lt. L. T. Smash
This is one of my favorite dumb gags from the later seasons.

The last twenty seasons of course encompassing "the later seasons"
L.T. gets my vote for most unlikely character to show up in a non-background role in a second episode.

He was one of the "Preppers" (along with Herman, Superintendent Chalmers, Lindsey Naegle and a one-time character voiced by Tom Waits) that brainwashed Homer into thinking he had to break his family away from civilization in Season 24's Homer Goes to Prep School.

L.T. gets my vote for most unlikely character to show up in a non-background role in a second episode.

He was one of the "Preppers" (along with Herman, Superintendent Chalmers, Lindsey Naegle and a one-time character voiced by Tom Waits) that brainwashed Homer into thinking he had to break his family away from civilization in Season 24's Homer Goes to Prep School.
lolwut

And I thought that Lurleen Lumpkin sequel episode was bad.

Wonder if they'll ever do another episode with Herb again. They gave him a line recently (he leaves a voicemail for the Simpsons saying he's poor again).

On the subject of one-shot characters reappearing, the story of Harvey Fierstein refusing to come back as Karl (Homer's assistant when he had hair) still gives me mad respect for the man. First guest star asked to reprise a role, first guest star to decline.

ScribbleD

Holy shit an XFL reference.

What about Joey Joe Joe Jr. Shabadoo?

Ristifer

Thanks, all! This thread has provided me with many laughs during work. I think I'll be binging my S1-S10 DVDs this weekend since I couldn't partake in this marathon.

UberTag

Just a quick heads up that Season 14 is now getting underway. I shared my recommended episodes list for the season late last night as I was anticipating being stuck in training at work today so I apologize for not being more timely with them.

We'll be crossing the midway point of this marathon at 6:00pm tonight after the episode where Marge rapes Homer and destroys Moe's bar in a fit of 'roid rage.

vypek

I thought this Tony Hawk episode was 300 since I'm pretty sure Lisa uses a clicking counter to say its been 300 times that Homer has done some ridiculous scheme.

Wtf.....................

Fuck this episode.

What happened in the episode you were talking about?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I thought this Tony Hawk episode was 300 since I'm pretty sure Lisa uses a clicking counter to say its been 300 times that Homer has done some ridiculous scheme.

Strong Arms of the Ma. Marge becomes agoraphobic after getting mugged, starts working out, gets strong, then starts gaining way too much muscle mass and beats up everyone at Moe's.

Basically it's a rip-off that one Family Guy episode where Lois takes a martial arts class.

ScribbleD

There's a joke where Marge rapes Homer.

Also, in the episode you're talking about: Marge even comments on it. "I could have sworn it was 302."

vypek

Strong Arms of the Ma. Marge becomes agoraphobic after getting mugged, starts working out, gets strong, then starts gaining way too much muscle mass and beats up everyone at Moe's.

Basically it's a rip-off that one Family Guy episode where Lois takes a martial arts class.

There's a joke where Marge rapes Homer.

Also, in the episode you're talking about: Marge even comments on it. "I could have sworn it was 302."

Oh. Thats right. Yeah...that was a really stupid episode. I'm not surprised they had Lois raping Peter in Family Guy but having it in the Simpsons is so far off their usual stuff that its even more botherseom.

I forgot Marge commented it was 302. Really thought it was promoted as 300. Maybe reference to the production numbers or something? No idea

UberTag

Oh. Thats right. Yeah...that was a really stupid episode. I'm not surprised they had Lois raping Peter in Family Guy but having it in the Simpsons is so far off their usual stuff that its even more botherseom.

I forgot Marge commented it was 302. Really thought it was promoted as 300. Maybe reference to the production numbers or something? No idea
You're not wrong. Barting Over was promoted as the show's 300th episode for marketing purposes even though it was the 302nd episode to air. Production order had nothing to do with this discrepancy. Strong Arms of the Ma was always the 300th episode no matter which way you're counting it.

And a hot plate.

Damn, Lisa had free college if she threw a shitty spelling bee
Lisa's tendency to self-sabotage herself (as she did here) would actually become a plot point of an episode later in Season 20. This, despite the fact that she would have already won a student body president election, a singing competition and runner-up in a beauty pageant entirely on the basis of her own merit by that point. She has a tendency to ignore the bigger picture in momentary bouts of principle or ethical conflicts but I don't mind these flaws because she's 8. No 8 year old is worried about how their college education is going to be paid for.

Sanjuro

I almost want to divide later Simpsons into a few categories. I still don't think they have reached what I would call the manic portion yet. Feels roughly what Don Hertzfeldt was trying to get across.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's been a lack of new recurring characters in the later seasons.
I think the most recent is CBG's Japanese wife.

vypek

You're not wrong. Barting Over was promoted as the show's 300th episode for marketing purposes even though it was the 302nd episode to air. Production order had nothing to do with this discrepancy. Strong Arms of the Ma was always the 300th episode no matter which way you're counting it.

Thanks for the clarification. :) Your Simpsons knowledge has been really helpful this marathon. At least I know I don't recall the promotion wrong. They just randomly promoted the 302nd as 300th? Well Strong Arms of the Ma is a weaker episode to me anyways lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom