• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons - Season 27 |OT| - Sundays at 8 on FOX | Pre-Show Marathons at 4 on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

I think The Simpsons simply wouldn't have that legacy if it only ran 10-12 years. The fact that it has been running for almost 30 years is part of the legacy.

UberTag

I think The Simpsons simply wouldn't have that legacy if it only ran 10-12 years. The fact that it has been running for almost 30 years is part of the legacy.
We're officially in Year 30 as of right now, by the way.
The 29th anniversary of the first airing of the Good Night short on Tracey Ullman was last Tuesday.

Good_Night_Simpsons.png

UberTag

Three episodes to go until the end of the season. I'm not especially excited about these next two but perhaps they'll find a way to surprise.
The season finale, on the other hand, features the Simpsons debut of regular Futurama writer Eric Horsted. I think that one boasts some potential.

FYI, FXX has two screenings of The Simpsons Movie tonight at 8:00pm (concurrent with this new episode) and 10:00pm.

TO COURIER WITH LOVE - Sunday, May 8th | Episode Production Code = VABF14 / Writer = Bill Odenkirk

HOMER TAKES THE FAMILY TO PARIS

FOX Promo - Guaranteed to Hit the Mark
Behind the Scenes - Recording w/ Guest Star Jay Leno
Clip #1 - The Age We Live In
Clip #2 - A Snap

To_Courier_with_Love_Promo_3.jpg
To_Courier_with_Love_Promo_4.jpg

To_Courier_with_Love_Promo_5.jpg
To_Courier_with_Love_Promo_1.jpg

Jay Leno (“The Tonight Show”) Makes Guest-Voice Appearance

After promising Marge the trip of a lifetime, frugality gets the better of Homer when he makes a deal with a travel agent to be a courier of a top-secret briefcase in exchange for a discounted family vacation to Paris.

FXX Marathon Theme - Les Simpson

54c0429836ceb_-_hbz-simpsons-xl-06-xl.jpg

4:00pm Life on the Fast Lane (S1E9 / 7G11 / 1990)
4:30pm The Crepes of Wrath (S1E11 / 7G13 / 1990)
5:00pm 'Round Springfield (S6E22 / 2F32 / 1995)
5:30pm Trilogy of Error (S12E18 / CABF14 / 2001)
6:00pm Bart-Mangled Banner (S15E21 / FABF17 / 2004)
6:30pm The Devil Wears Nada (S21E5 / LABF17 / 2009)
7:00pm Once Upon a Time in Springfield (S21E10 / LABF20 / 2010)
7:30pm Four Regrettings and a Funeral (S25E3 / RABF18 / 2013)

I was gonna say they've done Paris before haven't they, but they didn't do it properly, it was included in that episode where they escaped from prison and shit. Looks cool though.

Jackpot

Banned
"The Simpsons are going to Paris!"

Can't be more offensive than their "Simpsons are going to Brazil" with such natural segues as "Boy, they sure do love football here!".

vypek

I was gonna say they've done Paris before haven't they, but they didn't do it properly, it was included in that episode where they escaped from prison and shit. Looks cool though.

Has the whole family gone? I don't recall the episode you mentioned. I think I remember Homer going when he got a job working for Carl after Carl was promoted.

UberTag

It's the one where they go to prison after Bart moons the American flag.
Yep, they all went to France as a family briefly then. Bart also spent a number of weeks in France as part of a foreign exchange program. So he knows French but I suspect they'll gloss over that little detail in tonight's episode.

Astral Dog

I watched the recommended episodes and only liked the Halloween and Mars colony one, both surprisingly refreshing with the relationship of Marge and Lisa getting a new spin and hilarious gags, even the part with Neds chickens was funny! :)
But the others were weird im not sure what makes the Appu episode funny or interesting.

vypek

It's the one where they go to prison after Bart moons the American flag.

Ah, now I remember it!

Yep, they all went to France as a family briefly then. Bart also spent a number of weeks in France as part of a foreign exchange program. So he knows French but I suspect they'll gloss over that little detail in tonight's episode.

I always wanted Bart to have something to his character so that it wasn't like he was a total idiot or disliked around the town so much. But I don't think they'll ever keep his being able to speak French as a characteristic for him. Just seemed like one of many things that will only be relevant for one episode.

EDIT: Half way through the episode and they had some characters show up that I was really shocked to see.

Joni

So they bring back Cesar and Ugolin, but they never reference that earlier adventure. Seems such a waste.
Homer's smile on the other hand when French Wiggum is kissing him.

UberTag

So this Sunday features the latest Simpsons publicity stunt hoping to garner mainstream attention and break this unprecedented string of 4 consecutive episodes of less than 3 million viewers.

In the spirit of Homer and Marge legally separating, Smithers coming out of the closet and Sideshow Bob finally killing Bart... Homer will address the Simpsons audience live as we have now reached a time where the health and well-being of animator's wrists are no longer at risk.

642090.gif

SIMPROVISED - Sunday, May 15th | Episode Production Code = VABF13 / Writer = John Frink

HOMER TRIES IMPROV TO OVERCOME A CASE OF STAGE FRIGHT

CiGNJ_uWUAIxp9B.png

Official Homer Live! Website

For the first time ever, Homer Simpson will appear LIVE in real time, during the last three minutes of the all-new episode of THE SIMPSONS Airing Sunday, May 15 at 8/7c on FOX.
At the end of the episode, Marge, Lisa and Bart will turn the show over to Homer, who will comment on the events of the day, and answer fan questions LIVE during both the East and West Coast broadcasts.
To ask Homer Questions LIVE, Fans can Call (888) 726-6660 on Sunday, May 15, from 8:00-8:30 PM ET and 8:00-8:30 PM PT

Publicity Stunt Hype Clip - Homer Live!
Extended Publicity Stunt Hype Clip Featuring Homer Insight from Classic Era Episodes
Clip #1 - Therapy Hounds
Clip #2 - Breakdown

Simprovised_promo_2.jpg
Simprovised_promo_3.jpg

Simprovised_promo_4.jpg
Simprovised_promo_1.jpg

For the First Time on Television, Homer Simpson Appears LIVE In Episode’s Final Three Minutes!

After butchering a speech in front of all of his friends at work, Homer turns to improv comedy to gain back his confidence in his public speaking skills. Meanwhile, Marge decides to rebuild Bart’s lackluster treehouse, but tensions rise when Bart questions her building skills. Also, in the episode’s last three minutes, Homer appears LIVE for the first time on television (both for East and West Coast broadcasts) to answer fan questions.

FXX Marathon Theme - Bart's Mom & Marge's Son

852434.gif

4:00pm The PTA Disbands (S6E21 / 2F19 / 1995)
4:30pm Marge Be Not Proud (S7E11 / 3F07 / 1995)
5:00pm Bart the Mother (S10E3 / 5F22 / 1998)
5:30pm Marge's Son Poisoning (S17E5 / GABF20 / 2005)
6:00pm Bart Has Two Mommies (S17E14 / HABF07 / 2006)
6:30pm Lost Verizon (S20E2 / KABF15 / 2008)
7:00pm Moms I'd Like to Forget (S22E10 / NABF03 / 2011)
7:30pm Peeping Mom (S26E18 / TABF11 / 2015)

Decided to try Halloween of Horror.

Good premise, didn't offend me, no Jerkass Homer, and he actually tries to be a good parent. A couple light chuckles.

Lisa's transformation in the end isn't believable, in that it's too abrupt and not motivated well, but at least they tried.

UberTag

I watched the recommended episodes and only liked the Halloween and Mars colony one, both surprisingly refreshing with the relationship of Marge and Lisa getting a new spin and hilarious gags, even the part with Neds chickens was funny! :)
But the others were weird im not sure what makes the Appu episode funny or interesting.
As with a good number of HD era episodes I rate highly, it's not so much that the Apu episode did something bold or hilarious so much as it didn't really screw up at all. With so many poorly paced episodes these days, the narrative of that episode was quite solid (using the scratch ticket angle to both kick off and tie up the storyline). And Hank's current day Apu delivery doesn't upset me nearly as much as it does others.

That said, I'm probably going to give the entirety of Season 27 a rewatch in the next few weeks and may revise my grades.

I can tell you that Halloween of Horror's rank isn't changing. It's a modern day masterpiece.

border

Just for contrast I watched Treehouse of Horror and Barthood.....then I watched Treehouse of Horror XXVI.

Am I just crazy, or does TOHXXVI actually have more funny jokes than either of the top rated episodes? That's not to say that it's a better episode or anything, just that maybe the writers are better when they can throw anything at the wall in a Halloween anthology than when they have to set up and deliver on an actual canon story.

UberTag

Just for contrast I watched Treehouse of Horror and Barthood.....then I watched Treehouse of Horror XXVI.

Am I just crazy, or does TOHXXVI actually have more funny jokes than either of the top rated episodes? That's not to say that it's a better episode or anything, just that maybe the writers are better when they can throw anything at the wall in a Halloween anthology than when they have to set up and deliver on an actual canon story.
Well, sure... if you don't care about storylines that make sense, faithful characterizations and competent pacing and you're just measuring an episode's value based on yuks per minute, I'm sure you could find an argument that Moe Goes from Rags to Riches is "better written" than Lisa's Substitute.

You'd also be wrong.

If I want nothing but laughs, I'll watch stand-up comedy or a classic Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker movie. I get more value out of the Simpsons than measuring it by the "more funny" standard.

vypek

Episode had more funny moments than I was expecting. Although I do wish characters would sometimes remember older stuff like Bart actually having an amazing treehouse at one point before it burned down.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"The Simpsons will never end! Now I told you two lies"

See, I don't think The Simpsons will end. At least, not forever. This incarnation will, but like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny, they will be revived. New voice actors, new writers, different stories. It's too powerful of a brand to let rest.

UberTag

"The Simpsons will never end! Now I told you two lies"

See, I don't think The Simpsons will end. At least, not forever. This incarnation will, but like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny, they will be revived. New voice actors, new writers, different stories. It's too powerful of a brand to let rest.
Pretty much this. As soon as we stop asking the "when will the Simpsons end" question, it's only inevitable that we'll start asking the "when will the Simpsons get brought back/get rebooted/get spun off" question.

Episode had more funny moments than I was expecting. Although I do wish characters would sometimes remember older stuff like Bart actually having an amazing treehouse at one point before it burned down.
It wound up slightly better than I expected in the joke department but the actual story wound up horribly compressed due to the lack of time to tell two plots. They should have really skipped the subplot this week. Furthermore at least that old amazing treehouse burned down. This "Marge-improved" treehouse will be forgotten and retconned by the time next week's episode airs.

UberTag

Season 28 news...

They just wrapped up a script read last week for the first TWO-PART episode since Who Shot Mr. Burns? that will air sometime next season.

Based on its production number, we can expect it sometime between December and February. They could hold off both parts for sweeps month in February or build up hype during the post-Christmas hiatus by airing the first part in December and the second in January. It won't air after the Super Bowl as FOX has reserved that slot for 24.

Furthermore, it's an episode being showrun by Matt Selman (not complacent Al) and it's being co-written by Dan Greaney (who wrote Summer of 4 Ft. 2 and King-Size Homer during the classic era and then delivered one of the best episodes of Season 27 in Barthood) and Rob LaZebnik (whose track record is less auspicious but he did write the excellent The War of Art for Selman back in Season 25).

Yeardley Smith is already gushing about the ep on Twitter. She doesn't do that often.

The episode's title is... The Great Phatsby. I'm legitimately excited for this one.

That's exciting to hear! Hopefully the two-part format will really crank up the story telling. Who Shot Mr. Burns still felt like more cinematic and impactful than the actual Simpsons Movie to me.

On that thought, I'd often wondered as a show that's literally done everything would benefit from doing an entire season with continuity. It's the one storytelling framework that could really revive some creativity in the show. It's worked really well for South Park.

I'm still creeping my way through this season and just watched the Mars episode. Really enjoyed the Marge/Lisa conflict, and the Homer/Bart commenting from the sidelines. Nod-bot got a good laugh out of me.

UberTag

Well, it's that time of year once again... when The Simpsons leaves us for another summer only to improbably re-emerge for yet an umpteenth kick at the can 4 months from now. Probably on Sunday, September 25th. At its usual 8pm Sunday timeslot.

The premiere episode will be none other than Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus... just the second shared writing credit for Seinfeld alums Tom Gammill and Max Pross. It's directed by Matthew Nastuk (best director in the regular rotation) and their first ep from Season 24, Hardly Kirk-ing, was pretty decent... so I'm optimistic.

The ep focuses on Monty's childhood and upbringing via flashback. Hopefully it doesn't feature modern-era Simpsons characters moonlighting as people from his past... but it probably will.

Hopefully the premiere winds up solid because we have some stinkers lined up afterwards. Dan Castellaneta and his wife have another indulgent episode lined up focusing on Cuba. The same crew that worked on this year's terrible Treehouse of Horror have landed the gig again. We have a J. Stewart Burns ep that's attached to a lousy director which tells me it's one of the eps where he doesn't care (those always turn out bad). I believe this will be the episode where Burns isolates himself in an Oculus Rift simulated environment where he becomes the head of the Simpson family. And we have the baseball playoffs to endure.

The good news is that after a slow start Season 28 looks promising. Harry Shearer writes an episode for the first time. Matt Selman has an episode lined up to close out the VABF production run prior to that two-part ep written by Dan Greaney I noted earlier (which, as it turns out, will actually be an HOUR LONG episode - so no arbitrary cliffhanger shenanigans here). And there are some compelling storylines in the pipeline that will hopefully be executed well and not turned into publicity stunts which fail to draw in any sort of audience.

And why am I talking so much about next season, you ask? Well, I expect this weekend's finale to be terrible... Marge goes back to jail but this time doesn't want to leave and commits crimes so she doesn't have to. And Homer whines about having to be a single parent while she's gone. How horrible for them. Think Homer Alone meets Marge in Chains where Homer and Marge are written selfish and awful instead of as devoted parents. Bleh.

ORANGE IS THE NEW YELLOW - Sunday, May 22nd | Episode Production Code = VABF15 / Writer = Eric Horsted

MARGE PREFERS THE BIG HOUSE OVER THE SIMPSON HOUSE

FOX Promo - Season Finale Sunday
Couch Gag courtesy of Michal Socha (The Prophet)
Clip #1 - Not Going Home
Clip #2 - Secret Alcoholic

Orange_Is_the_New_Yellow_promo_2.jpg
Orange_Is_the_New_Yellow_promo_4.jpg

Orange_Is_the_New_Yellow_promo_1.jpg
Orange_Is_the_New_Yellow_promo_5.jpg

When Marge gets arrested for letting Bart go to the park unsupervised, she serves time only to realize that prison is a welcome break from the demands of her life as a mom and wife. In her absence, Homer struggles to manage all of the parenting responsibilities that Marge usually handles.

FXX Marathon Theme - Jailbirds Not Named Snake (3:30pm special start time)

1187168.gif
982560.gif

1093760.gif
845803.gif

3:30pm Marge in Chains (S4E21 / 9F20 / 1993)
4:00pm This Little Wiggy (S9E18 / 5F13 / 1998)
4:30pm It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge (S11E21 / BABF18 / 2000)
5:00pm The Frying Game (S13E21 / DABF16 / 2002)
5:30pm The Wandering Juvie (S15E16 / FABF11 / 2004)
6:00pm The Seven-Beer Snitch (S16E14 / GABF08 / 2005)
6:30pm I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (S19E4 / JABF19 / 2007)
7:00pm American History X-cellent (S21E17 / MABF08 / 2010)

Some bonus Marge arrests not included in the above slate of episodes...

1284682.gif
1088760.gif

850391.gif
873956.gif

1063271.gif
973772.gif

Tapejara

Won't be catching the finale tomorrow. I'll probably catch up on Monday or something. Interested in everyone's impressions.

--

I forgot to give my thoughts on the last two episodes. Last week's had a couple funny jokes, but overall wasn't too impressive. Not awful, but it could have been better. The last bit with Homer live was really funny though.

I don't even remember what the episode two weeks ago was about. Oh yeah the Paris episode. Yeah that one was pretty underwhelming. My standards for a good modern Simpsons episode are that I either enjoy the story or the jokes are great, and that episode failed on both fronts.

UberTag

There were some pleasant highs and the lows weren't as low as they normally are. You can see my individual episode ratings in the updated opening post of this thread.

This season did get a little carried away with the publicity stunt bait and switches. Homer leaving Marge, Sideshow Bob killing Bart, Smithers coming out of the closet, Homer talking to the fans live... all of them came off as half-assed in execution and faled to move the needle in terms of getting casual viewers to tune in and only served to get the media talking about the show to fill time. My worry is that if they overkill themselves with that nonsense that drawing legitimate interest in a final season push will get largely ignored. They need to take Bart's lesson from Marge Gets a Job to heart and stop crying wolf all the time because it's clear nobody believes them any more.

The Best of Season 27

Halloween of Horror
Barthood
Frinkiac's Successful Launch
Eric Goldberg's Disney Homage Couch Gag from Fland Canyon
No Tim Long Episodes

The Worst of Season 27

Publicity Stunt Overkill
To Courier with Love
Treehouse of Horror XXVI (and the news that next season's THOH has the same crew)
No Matt Selman Episodes as Head Writer
Still no Simpsons World outside of the U.S. / Legitimate Means of Owning Later Seasons (i.e. DVD/BluRay, Digital Ownership of Seasons 18 & 19)

Jackpot

Banned
When Marge gets arrested for letting Bart go to the park unsupervised, she serves time only to realize that prison is a welcome break from the demands of her life as a mom and wife. In her absence, Homer struggles to manage all of the parenting responsibilities that Marge usually handles.

That's identical to when Marge goes to prison for shop-lifting in every way.

UberTag

Just hopping into this thread to give you guys a quick update on upcoming episodes for Season 28. Here's what's on deck as far as episode titles are concerned...

VABF20 - Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus (Season 28's Premiere)

VABF16 - Treehouse Of Horror XXVII
VABF17 - Patriot Games
VABF18 - Friends and Family
VABF19 - Havana Wild Weekend
VABF21 - Trust but Clarify
VABF22 - There Will Be Buds
WABF01 - Dad Behavior
WABF02 - The Nightmare After Krustmas
WABF03 - The Last Traction Hero
WABF04 - The Great Phatsby: Part One
WABF05 - The Great Phatsby: Part Two
WABF06 - Pork and Burns
WABF07 - Fatzcarraldo
WABF08 - The Cad and the Hat
WABF09 - Kamp Krustier
WABF10 - 22 For 30

Yep... we apparently have a Kamp Krusty sequel.

tumblr_m6emk8qd0T1rzkufwo1_500.png

UberTag

A two part episode? Seems pretty rare.
Considering that it's only formally happened once before some 21 years ago, it's especially rare. Although, in this case, it won't play out as a cliffhanger. It'll actually play out as an hour-long extended length episode airing the same night and broken into two distinct halves. Best recent comparison would be The Simpsons Guy.

UberTag

Just a brief heads up that Season 28 kicks off on Sunday.
I'll have the new OT up and running as soon as the preview clips get uploaded to YouTube.

250px-The_Simpsons_%28season_28%29.png

As always, the opening post will be maintained throughout the season so you can quickly glean what episodes are actually worth watching amidst the trash heap that is modern Simpsons that I am happily dumpster diving on your behalf. I'm expecting this season will play out similar to other even-numbered seasons in the HD era in terms of offering a "very short" list of recommendations. I would love to get another Halloween of Horror or Barthood but I'm not optimistic one is in the cards as of right now.

Tapejara

Nice! Looking forward to another year of Simpsons with you guys.

Been watching a lot of the older episodes recently (currently on my season 6 DVD). So many great episodes packed into those early seasons.

vypek

Looking forward to the new thread. I've also been watching a lot of older episodes on SimpsonsWorld (when it is working correctly at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom