• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons 600 Marathon |OT| | Starting Thursday at Noon EST / 9am PST on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Here's the episode where Bart and Lisa finally notice that they have no hairlines.
256qqyq.gif

UberTag

Season 23 already wow... trying to remember if I liked Treehouse of Horror 22 or not
I really hope the answer to this question was "not a chance". It's easily one of the worst if not THE worst of the Treehouse of Horror specials. It certainly boasts the worst standalone segment.

On the bright side, some of the best HD episodes of the show air over the next several hours to get the bad taste out of your mouth. I know I've said it countless times before but I consider Holidays of Future Passed to be ESSENTIAL for fans of the show past and present.

Recommended Episodes from Season 23

5:00pm The Food Wife - Matt Selman
Tired of doing "mom" things and being much less fun for the kids than Homer, Marge takes the family out to an Ethiopian restaurant and enjoys the food so much that she starts a food blog with Bart and Lisa, which hurts Homer's feelings -- and may do more than hurt him when Marge tricks Homer into thinking a rundown building housing a meth lab is a hip, new restaurant.
5:30pm The Book Job - Dan Vebber
When Lisa discovers that her favorite book series is ghost-written by a group of publishers, Homer and Bart are inspired to do the same by getting a group of people to write a fantasy novel about trolls in a prestigious academy -- but when their publisher plots to turn it into yet another vampire fiction book for tweens, they must save their original work from getting destroyed.
7:00pm Holidays of Future Passed - J. Stewart Burns

Holidays%20of%20Future%20Passed.gif

The latest "look-into-the-future" episode sees Bart as a deadbeat living in Springfield Elementary and trying to be a good dad to the children he had with Jenda from Future-Drama. Meanwhile, a pregnant, unwed Maggie (who is now a pop singing superstar) goes into labor while on her way home for the holidays and Lisa tries to find a common bond with her rebellious teenage daughter, Zia.
12:00am A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again - Matt Warburton
To alleviate his boredom with life, Bart begs the family to go on a holiday cruise and the Simpsons sell their most prized possessions to pay for it. But when Bart realizes the trip only lasts a week and that his life will be nothing after that, he resorts to drastic measures to keep the vacation going.
FYI, there's a brand new Season 28 episode airing on FOX tonight. No guarantees that it'll be any good, though.
I will guarantee that it will be better than the marathon episode airing at the same time.

gaiadyne

I really hope the answer to this question was "not a chance". It's easily one of the worst if not THE worst of the Treehouse of Horror specials. It certainly boasts the worst standalone segment.

On the bright side, some of the best HD episodes of the show air over the next several hours to get the bad taste out of your mouth. I know I've said it countless times before but I consider Holidays of Future Passed to be ESSENTIAL for fans of the show past and present.

Recommended Episodes from Season 23

5:00pm The Food Wife - Matt Selman

5:30pm The Book Job - Dan Vebber

7:00pm Holidays of Future Passed - J. Stewart Burns

Holidays%20of%20Future%20Passed.gif

12:00am A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again - Matt Warburton

I'd actually never seen Treehouse of Horror 22 before. While I don't think it is a great episode I feel it was better than the most recent one

UberTag

I'd actually never seen Treehouse of Horror 22 before. While I don't think it is a great episode I feel it was better than the most recent one
This year's THOH wasn't much to write home about, either.
That said, if you have yet to watch Halloween of Horror from Season 27, I highly encourage you to squeeze it into your schedule when it airs on Tuesday afternoon.

gaiadyne

This year's THOH wasn't much to write home about, either.
That said, if you have yet to watch Halloween of Horror from Season 27, I highly encourage you to squeeze it into your schedule when it airs on Tuesday afternoon.

I believe I watched that shortly after it aired when it was recommended by you and I definitely enjoyed it

UberTag

Perhaps I'm making my stand on the overall quality of Season 24 compared with the others but I'm cashing in my extra ep from Season 15 now and only recommending three episodes from this season.

Recommended Episodes from Season 24

5:00am The Day the Earth Stood Cool - Matt Selman
Homer wants a younger, hipper image, so he starts hanging out with Terrence and Emily, two hipsters from Portland, but Marge and Bart find the couple, their child, and their ilk who take over the unhip town of Springfield to be irritating and pretentious.
8:00am Hardly Kirk-ing - Tom Gammill & Max Pross
Bart gives Milhouse a haircut to get the epoxy out of his hair, and ends up making Milhouse look like his loser father, Kirk. Meanwhile, Marge tries to wean Maggie off a series of DVDs for toddlers that were pulled for stunting children's developmental growth, and Homer gets addicted to "find the hidden object" puzzle books.
12:30pm Dangers on a Train - Michael Price
Marge stumbles upon a website for married women to arrange affairs (after mistaking it for a cupcake delivery website) and meets a man named Ben, who falls for Marge after the two bond over a Downton Abbey-esque period drama. Meanwhile, Homer takes home a steam train that used to belong to Springfield's high-end, outside mall and recruits Reverend Lovejoy, Moe, Lenny, Carl, and Larry the Lush to fix it up for his wedding anniversary.

UberTag

I'm not watching this marathon (I'm in Rand McNally / Australia), but these are 3 of the best episodes of the last 10-15 years I reckon. I didn't realise they were all from one season.
Yeah, Season 23 is notoriously bi-polar. It also features 3 of the worst episodes of the last 10-15 years in Moe Goes from Rags to Riches, Lisa Goes Gaga and The D'oh-cial Network. It says something about how bad that season got when I stand by those episodes as the worst and that still leaves out the Treehouse of Horror that gave us farting paraplegic Spider-Homer, it leaves out the episode that blessed us with a Ted Nugent guest appearance, it leaves out the episode where Homer repeatedly loses control of his bladder in bed and it leaves out the episode where Bart gets to first base with a teenager after seeing her boobs.

But the good episodes in that season really shine.

UberTag

Recommended Episodes from Season 25

5:00pm Steal This Episode - J. Stewart Burns
To combat the poor quality of today's movie theaters, Homer and Bart begin to illegally download movies and exhibit them in a makeshift theater in the backyard, but Homer ends up arrested when Marge sends the FBI a check and an apology note.
5:30pm Married to the Blob - Tim Long
When Comic Book Guy meets a woman writing an autobiographical manga, he seeks Homer's advice on dating.
8:00pm The War of Art - Rob LaZebnik
When Marge and Homer buy a painting at the Van Houtens' yard sale, the couples find themselves at odds when the painting turns out to be worth a lot of money.
10:30pm Brick Like Me - Brian Kelley
Homer must figure out what to do when he wakes up to a world where everything and everyone is made out of Lego bricks.

I loved Holidays of Future Past, but this revisit to that timeline in this episode is really not good. Plus it has a really weird grim set up for for Homer and Milhouse that seems more fitting for a Treehouse of a Horror episode.

UberTag

Yep, Seasons 21+ are only available via digital platforms. Only 4 episodes from Seasons 18 and 19 (The Haw-Hawed Couple, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind and Treehouse of Horrors XVII & XVIII) can be found the same way. The rest can only be accessed via Simpsonsworld.com if you miss out on catching them during today's marathon coverage on FXX. That includes 24 Minutes. You have no legal way to purchase that episode either physically or to own a digital license for it.

There are a couple exceptions, however.

Holidays of Future Passed - the best finale episode this show is likely to get - has been released physically despite being aired during Season 23.
It can be found exclusively as a bonus extra episode in the Season 16 Blu-ray collection.

Season 25's The Man Who Grew Too Much can be found exclusively as a bonus extra episode in the Season 17 Blu-ray collection.
Just caught one other exception... although this is a real technicality. The Simpsons Guy is also available to own on physical media. This is a Family Guy episode but a large part of it is set in Springfield and it was animated by the show's new in-house studio so I would consider this another valid consideration. Just don't go into it expecting to hear Harry Shearer.

I loved Holidays of Future Past, but this revisit to that timeline in this episode is really not good. Plus it has a really weird grim set up for for Homer and Milhouse that seems more fitting for a Treehouse of a Horror episode.
Days of Future Future is in contention for the worst episode of all-time. It's easily one of the most disappointing. I consider it to be garbage.

Recommended Episodes from Season 26

2:30am Simpsorama - J. Stewart Burns
In a crossover with Futurama, when a time capsule containing a sandwich with Bart's germs in it, Milhouse's rabbit's foot, and radioactive ooze causes a catastrophe in the future, the Planet Express crew comes to present-day Springfield to stop the Simpsons from creating the mess in the first place.
4:00am I Won't Be Home for Christmas - Al Jean
Marge kicks Homer out of the house after Moe convinces him to stay out all night on Christmas Eve at his bar. Depressed, Homer takes a lonely walk through Springfield instead of being with his family, who go out to find him when Moe confesses it was his fault.
5:00am Bart's New Friend - Judd Apatow
Homer goes to a hypnotist and ends up believing he is ten years old. However, when the hypnotist is arrested, Homer becomes stuck in his new age, so he bonds with Bart and refuses entry back into the responsibilities of adulthood.
7:30am Sky Police - Matt Selman
When Chief Wiggum uses a military jet pack to fight crime, he ends up crashing it into the church, leaving Marge and the congregation to resort to gambling to raise money for the repairs.

UberTag

Holy hell at this episode 554 coach gag intro, I feel like I'm not high enough or something, it's pure insanity.
Don Hertzfeldt's couch gag is a work of brilliance ... which is the absolute last thing I would say about the forgettable episode it preceded.

They couldn't even commit to wiping their hands clean of Jackie Mason as they're bringing him back to voice Krusty's dad for a dream/flashback sequence in a new episode next week.

vypek

Yeah, no more home releases.
Al Jean claims it's due to streaming taking over, but we know the real reason is downward sales due to declining quality.

Maybe when the show ends, we'll see a huge complete series set.

Yep, Seasons 21+ are only available via digital platforms. Only 4 episodes from Seasons 18 and 19 (The Haw-Hawed Couple, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind and Treehouse of Horrors XVII & XVIII) can be found the same way. The rest can only be accessed via Simpsonsworld.com if you miss out on catching them during today's marathon coverage on FXX. That includes 24 Minutes. You have no legal way to purchase that episode either physically or to own a digital license for it.

There are a couple exceptions, however.

Holidays of Future Passed - the best finale episode this show is likely to get - has been released physically despite being aired during Season 23.
It can be found exclusively as a bonus extra episode in the Season 16 Blu-ray collection.

Season 25's The Man Who Grew Too Much can be found exclusively as a bonus extra episode in the Season 17 Blu-ray collection.

Haven't been in this thread as much since I have been pretty much not watching the marathon but thanks for the replies. If they ever release the full series after it ends then I will probably buy it. I guess I might go for seasons 1 through 17 to own it.

UberTag

Final day of the marathon. I'm going to knock out recommendations from Season 27 and the eligible chunk of Season 28 in one fell swoop.

Halloween of Horror is the best episode to air since late 2011 so hopefully a few of you are able to check it out in a couple hours if you've missed it up until now.

Recommended Episodes from Seasons 27 & 28

12:00pm Puffless - J. Stewart Burns
Upon learning that their father really died of lung cancer, Selma and Patty agree to quit smoking. When Selma relapses, an angry Patty moves in with Marge and Homer.
12:30pm Halloween of Horror - Carolyn Omine
Angry Halloween decoration salesmen invade the Simpson household after Homer takes down his Everscream Terrors decorations to avoid scaring Lisa.

Halloween%20of%20Horror.gif

2:30pm Paths of Glory - Michael Ferris
Lisa tries to better the reputation of Springfield's first female inventor by searching an asylum for her first invention. While in the asylum, she and Bart find a sociopath's notebook, causing Bart to take the notebook home and pretend to be the sociopath that wrote it.
3:00pm Barthood - Dan Greaney
The story of Bart's life from 6 years old to his time as a young man reveals that Lisa's achievements and his relationship with Homer have shaped him more than he realized.
6:30pm The Marge-ian Chronicles - Brian Kelley
Lisa volunteers for a future one-way journey to Mars, much to Marge's chagrin. As she searches for a way to convince Lisa not to go, Marge hits upon the most devious strategy of all, and volunteers to go along for the ride. Will the Simpsons girls be mankind's first residents of the Red Planet?
8:00pm Fland Canyon - J. Stewart Burns
Homer recalls a tense family vacation to the Grand Canyon with the Flanders family. At first, the Flanders’ perfection puts the families at odds, but when they get stranded and Ned and Homer go for help, the families finally bond.
10:30pm Friends and Family - J. Stewart Burns
Mr. Burns hires the Simpsons to play his live-in virtual reality family, but excludes Homer so that he may play dad. Now alone, Homer finds a new best friend in girl-next-door Julia, who eats, drinks and thinks like him.
11:00pm The Town - Dave King
After Homer catches Bart rooting for Springfield's football rival, the Boston Americans, he plans a family "hate-cation" trip to Boston in an attempt to show Bart that Boston is a terrible city.

And finally... one bonus recommendation of Episode 602...

There Will Be Buds - Matt Selman
Homer gets roped into coaching the kids' lacrosse team with Milhouse's dad, Kirk, who is in desperate need of a friend. When Kirk gets too clingy, Homer vents about how much of a loser he is. Kirk overhears his rant and disappears, right when the team needs him most: the championship game.

UberTag

This episode 588 that just ended, never heard this singer before, but wow, the songs she was singing were quite beautiful and sad.
Oddly enough, that wasn't her first appearance on the show.
Natalie Maines appeared previously with her fellow Dixie Chicks in Season 19's Papa Don't Leech.

UberTag

Simprovised seems to have decent jokes before the commercial break. Is it just me?
Simprovised runs into some severe pacing issues where the episode just ends abruptly due in large part to them running their "Homer answers questions live" gimmick at the end of the episode.

UberTag

Just an FYI that there's a Christmas-themed Simpsons mini-marathon airing on FXX this Sunday afternoon in advance of the premiere of The Nightmare After Krustmas...

4:00pm Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
4:30pm Miracle on Evergreen Terrace
5:00pm Grift of the Magi
5:30pm Homer vs. Dignity
6:00pm Skinner's Sense of Snow
6:30pm 'Tis the Fifteenth Season
7:00pm White Christmas Blues
7:30pm I Won't Be Home for Christmas

Richie

Just an FYI that there's a Christmas-themed Simpsons mini-marathon airing on FXX this Sunday afternoon in advance of the premiere of The Nightmare After Krustmas...

4:00pm Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
4:30pm Miracle on Evergreen Terrace
5:00pm Grift of the Magi
5:30pm Homer vs. Dignity
6:00pm Skinner's Sense of Snow
6:30pm 'Tis the Fifteenth Season
7:00pm White Christmas Blues
7:30pm I Won't Be Home for Christmas

Can I be told who was the genius who ditched Marge Be Not Proud yet included Homer vs. Dignity?

mozfan12

Banned
Really wish this was a yearly event. I enjoyed the marathon immensely, and I grew an appreciation for some of the later seasons. I mean they are still hit or miss, but there are some gems that are worth wading through the crap. Till the next one.

UberTag

Really wish this was a yearly event. I enjoyed the marathon immensely, and I grew an appreciation for some of the later seasons. I mean they are still hit or miss, but there are some gems that are worth wading through the crap. Till the next one.
Speaking of gems that are worth wading through the crap for, here is a consolidated list of season-by-season gem recommendations from this thread after everything went to hell in Season 11...
Recommended Episodes from Season 12

Skinner's Sense of Snow - Tim Long
HOMЯ - Al Jean
Hungry, Hungry Homer - John Swartzwelder
Trilogy of Error - Matt Selman
Recommended Episodes from Season 13

Half-Decent Proposal - Tim Long
I Am Furious (Yellow) - John Swartzwelder
Little Girl in the Big Ten - Jon Vitti
Papa's Got a Brand New Badge - Dana Gould
Recommended Episodes from Season 14

Special Edna - Dennis Snee