• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons - Season 29 |OT| - The Penultimate Season... Probably

UberTag

hkmRCAR.jpg

Way back in September of 1955, a weekly radio show by the name of Gunsmoke focusing on the settlement of the old west and the exploits of Marshall Matt Dillon hit American prime-time television airwaves for the first time and proceeded to churn out a total of 635 episodes... a feat not equalled by any American scripted series airing in prime-time but surpassed elsewhere - albeit with a rotating cast - by the likes of Dr. Who.

And while the many Law & Order spinoffs, WWE Raw and other routine entertainment vehicles have parlayed longevity track records of their own, the one unique aspect about Gunsmoke is that James Arness was always there as Dillon and Milburn Stone was ever-present as Doc Adams. They developed their characters over 20 years; a feat seldom equaled although Kelsey Grammer managed to match that achievement with Frasier Crane's stint across Cheers and Frasier from 1984-2004. Yes, that's right... he's been playing Sideshow Bob longer than Frasier.

This season, The Simpsons and its recurring cast of lovable regulars portrayed by Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Pamela Hayden, Maggie Roswell and countless others... some now for over THIRTY years in US prime-time television... will be toppling the landmark milestone that Gunsmoke established when the show airs its 636th episode.

SEASON 29 EPISODE RANKINGS

MEH

tenor.gif

1. The Serfsons (S29E1 / WABF17) | Writer = Brian Kelley | Director = Rob Oliver | Showrunner = Matt Selman

They've been talking this record up for an eternity now... will they have any compulsion to continue once surpassing it and wrapping up their 30th season? That remains to be seen. That said, with a green light for an apparent 669 episodes, we apparently still have another 50 to go. Here's what's on deck...

SPRINGFIELD SPLENDOR - Sunday, October 8th | Episode Production Code = WABF22 (#620) / Writers = Tim Long & Miranda Thompson / Showrunner = Matt Selman

Airtimes
8:00pm on Fox in the United States
7:30pm on Global in Canada

LISA WRITES A POP-CULTURE HIT

LmXv7cG.png
GHPD4Tl.png

PbgAsyY.png
p3c77vy.png

Martin Short ("The Martin Short Show"), Rachel Bloom ("Crazy Ex-Girlfriend") and Cartoonists Roz Chast, Alison Bechdel and Marjane Satrapi Guest-Voice

Marge and Lisa turn Lisa's sad experience into a successful graphic novel-turned-Broadway show, but they struggle with creative differences and ego.

jrush64

Banned
Looking forward to this. Always love the Simpsons. I wish we get a Bart and Maggie episode though. I don't they've ever done one before.

liquidtmd

Banned
LISA USES ILLEGAL MAGIC TO TRY AND SAVE MARGE'S MOTHER....

The Serfsons is a pretty "out there" concept episode for the show but I can understand the desire to embrace a full-fledged Game of Thrones-style parody without short-shrifting it in some lame one-off Treehouse of Horror segment. Apparently, all manner of other fantasy tropes and franchises will be paid tribute to here.

* Homer turns up in a robe and says "WINTER IS COMING". Then he falls down and says 'Doh'

* Harry Trotter walks across the screen with a wand in his mouth

* Milhouse plays as Sam, Bart plays Frodo. They set off for a quest, but unfortunately Milhouse gets grounded because his mum Luann is dating Sauron? Kirk says something about him having a small manhood, I dunno.

I didn't see anything in the OP hinting at this "probably" being the penultimate season, aside from "Will they have any compulsion to continue?" Did I miss something? Are there recent rumors that they plan on ending the series at season 30? Or is that some sort of joke I'm not getting?

Ahasverus

So they made it to twentynine years, it's really sad to see a beloved Uncle waste away from a terrible illness that hasn't been cured.
Didn't even take the first post to start the carousel. Guys, you could just have tuned out years ago.

Excited for this season as the writing team sounds better than the last time.

Tapejara

Great OT as always, Uber! Looking forward to another year.

Simpsons related talk: Picked up the Blu-rays of seasons 13-17 as a birthday gift to myself. Haven't seen those seasons in a while, so will be fun to revisit them and see which episodes hold up (and which don't). Will be great to finally have Season 18 in physical format later this year too.

UberTag

Looking forward to this. Always love the Simpsons. I wish we get a Bart and Maggie episode though. I don't they've ever done one before.
They did get a subplot together back in Season 27's How Lisa Got Her Marge Back where Bart bonded with Maggie by having her help him play pranks on people.

Simpsons_27_18_P4.jpg

That's about the only one that comes to mind, however.

I didn't see anything in the OP hinting at this "probably" being the penultimate season, aside from "Will they have any compulsion to continue?" Did I miss something? Are there recent rumors that they plan on ending the series at season 30? Or is that some sort of joke I'm not getting?
They're officially renewed through Season 30. It's possible that they'll continue beyond that but I honestly don't believe they will and I've largely dismissed most of the other "the show is getting cancelled" rumors in large part BECAUSE they've always been adamant about chasing down the Gunsmoke record.

Boem

It'll be interesting to see if it's really going to end. It has to happen some day, but it's been talked about for so long now.

I don't watch the show anymore, but I do hear a lot about the marketing (some friends are still big fans), and I can't imagine them not hyping the final series as the actual end for months if it ever comes to that. I doubt it'll come as a surprise. We'll see I guess.

Also, if it really is going to end relatively soon, I assume they're going to do at least one last movie. No matter how my personal attachment to the show has changed over the years, it's an institution. The idea that there will be a final, final episode in the near future is very weird.

On a semi-related note: is anything known about that Matt Groening Netflix show? Is it going to be something in the style of Simpsons/Futurama or something else entirely? Any writers crossing over? Back when Futurama was starting I was still firmly convinced Simpsons was the best show in the world, and Futurama was even better for me. At the time I got very excited about the idea of more Groening shows with the same style and sense of comedy, but each in a different genre. I wonder if he could do it a third time, although I have no idea how involved he has been with any of his properties in the last 10 or so years.

jrush64

Banned
They did get a subplot together back in Season 27's How Lisa Got Her Marge Back where Bart bonded with Maggie by having her help him play pranks on people.

Simpsons_27_18_P4.jpg

That's about the only one that comes to mind, however.

They're officially renewed through Season 30. It's possible that they'll continue beyond that but I honestly don't believe they will and I've largely dismissed most of the other "the show is getting cancelled" rumors in large part BECAUSE they've always been adamant about chasing down the Gunsmoke record.

I think I missed that episode. I'll check it out now.

Tapejara

It'll be interesting to see if it's really going to end. It has to happen some day, but it's been talked about for so long now.

I don't watch the show anymore, but I do hear a lot about the marketing (some friends are still big fans), and I can't imagine them not hyping the final series as the actual end for months if it ever comes to that. I doubt it'll come as a surprise. We'll see I guess.

Also, if it really is going to end relatively soon, I assume they're going to do at least one last movie. No matter how my personal attachment to the show has changed over the years, it's an institution. The idea that there will be a final, final episode in the near future is very weird.

On a semi-related note: is anything known about that Matt Groening Netflix show? Is it going to be something in the style of Simpsons/Futurama or something else entirely? Any writers crossing over? Back when Futurama was starting I was still firmly convinced Simpsons was the best show in the world, and Futurama was even better for me. At the time I got very excited about the idea of more Groening shows with the same style and sense of comedy, but each in a different genre. I wonder if he could do it a third time, although I have no idea how involved he has been with any of his properties in the last 10 or so years.

Disenchantment, which is supposed to be a Simpsons/Futurama-like. We haven't seen any of the art yet, but Bill Oakley mentioned on the Talking Simpsons podcast that it'll be familiar to fans of Groening's art style. Off the top of my head, both Josh Weinstein and Bill Oakley (writers for seasons 4-6, showrunners seasons 7-8) are working on it (edit: Weinstein is showrunning), as well as Reid Harrison, who worked on the Season 8 episode The Springfield Files. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting though!

UberTag

Here's what I can tell you about Disenchantment.

A lot of the fantasy satire and humor you see this weekend in The Serfsons will likely be expanded upon in that vehicle... just with a more adult bent and probably, given the nature of Netflix titles, with a fair amount of continuity reliance.

Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein are attached to produce. They showran The Simpsons during the final two seasons of the Classic era and would later go on to create Mission Hill. David X. Cohen, Futurama's key creative mind, is also involved. Rapper Adam Briggs, writer/actress Jeny Batten and former Gravity Falls scribe, Shion Takeuchi, are in the loop as writers.

No doubt we'll get more information as the show approaches its first 10-episode release next year. I suspect that Groening is very much involved at getting this off the ground just as he was with The Simpsons and Futurama.

Boem

Disenchantment, which is supposed to be a Simpsons/Futurama-like. We haven't seen any of the art yet, but Bill Oakley mentioned on the Talking Simpsons podcast that it'll be familiar to fans of Groening's art style. Off the top of my head, both Josh Weinstein and Bill Oakley (writers for seasons 4-6, showrunners seasons 7-8) are working on it (edit: Weinstein is showrunning), as well as Reid Harrison, who worked on the Season 8 episode The Springfield Files. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting though!

Here's what I can tell you about Disenchantment.

A lot of the fantasy satire and humor you see this weekend in The Serfsons will likely be expanded upon in that vehicle... just with a more adult bent and probably, given the nature of Netflix titles, with a fair amount of continuity reliance.

Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein are attached to produce. They showran The Simpsons during the final two seasons of the Classic era and would later go on to create Mission Hill. David X. Cohen, Futurama's key creative mind, is also involved. Rapper Adam Briggs, writer/actress Jeny Batten and former Gravity Falls scribe, Shion Takeuchi, are in the loop as writers.

No doubt we'll get more information as the show approaches its first 10-episode release next year. I suspect that Groening is very much involved at getting this off the ground just as he was with The Simpsons and Futurama.

Thanks both of you. I didn't know this much was known already, I think I missed the updates after the initial Netflix announcement. Definitely sounds interesting - hopefully starting something completely new will give it that spark that Simpsons seems to be missing these days.

UberTag

Thanks both of you. I didn't know this much was known already, I think I missed the updates after the initial Netflix announcement. Definitely sounds interesting - hopefully starting something completely new will give it that spark that Simpsons seems to be missing these days.
Also, in case you missed out on the premise for the show, it revolves around an alcoholic princess named Bean (voiced by Abbi Jacobson), her personal demon, Luci (voiced by Eric Andre) and her elf companion, Elfo (voiced by Nat Faxon) and their assorted misadventures through a medieval realm and has been described by Groening as "it will be about life and death, love and sex, and how to keep laughing in a world full of suffering and idiots, despite what the elders and wizards and other jerks tell you".

Boem

Also, in case you missed out on the premise for the show, it revolves around an alcoholic princess named Bean (voiced by Abbi Jacobson), her personal demon, Luci (voiced by Eric Andre) and her elf companion, Elfo (voiced by Nat Faxon) and their assorted misadventures through a medieval realm and has been described by Groening as "it will be about life and death, love and sex, and how to keep laughing in a world full of suffering and idiots, despite what the elders and wizards and other jerks tell you".

Thanks! You're doing your job as resident Groening expert very well today.

That definitely sounds very Simpsons-esque. Or probably more Futurama-esque, I guess. I'll keep my eye in it.

Anyway, sorry about making this thread about something else than the Simpsons so early on everybody. And thank you guys for filling me in on the new show, I think I'm more interested in that for now, although I think I'll definitely drop back into the Simpsons if they officially announce they're getting close to the end.

Or fuck it, maybe I'll check out the next couple of eps to see what it's like these days. I think the most recent episode I caught was one where they went to Ireland. Definitely HD era. I don't remember liking it honestly. Man, I feel like that was 5 or so years ago. EDIT: Or maybe the live action muppet thing they did, with Katey Perry. Which looked good, but lacked strong jokes I think. Man it's been ages.

But hey, I'll give it a shot again. Just talking in here has made me remember how much I used to love Groening's worlds.

UberTag

Or fuck it, maybe I'll check out the next couple of eps to see what it's like these days. I think the most recent episode I caught was one where they went to Ireland. Definitely HD era. I don't remember liking it honestly. Man, I feel like that was 5 or so years ago. EDIT: Or maybe the live action muppet thing they did, with Katey Perry. Which looked good, but lacked strong jokes I think. Man it's been ages.

But hey, I'll give it a shot again. Just talking in here has made me remember how much I used to love Groening's worlds.
The Ireland episode wasn't good. And the Muppets homage featuring Katy Perry, while inventive, wasn't anything special.

If you do happen to scope out the show over the next two weeks and like what you see, I can pass along that there's been a discernible uptick in both the quality and effort of the show's episodes that happen to be showrun by Matt Selman who has handled those duties on a part-time basis since you last watched.

His episodes include the following...

SEASON 23

The Food Wife
The Book Job (written by Dan Vebber)
A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again (written by Matt Warburton)

SEASON 24

The Day the Earth Stood Cool
Gorgeous Grampa
The Saga of Carl (written by Eric Kaplan)

SEASON 25

Steal This Episode (written by J. Stewart Burns)
The War of Art (written by Rob LaZebnik)
Brick Like Me (written by Brian Kelley)

SEASON 26

The Wreck of the Relationship (written by Jeff Westbrook)
Opposites A-Frack (written by Valentina L. Garza)
Covercraft
Sky Police

SEASON 27

Cue Detective (written by Joel H. Cohen)
Halloween of Horror (written by Carolyn Omine)
The Girl Code (written by Rob LaZebnik)
The Marge-ian Chronicles (written by Brian Kelley)

SEASON 28

The Town (written by Dave King)
There Will Be Buds
The Great Phatsby Part 1 (written by Dan Greaney)
The Great Phatsby Part 2 (co-written by Dan Greaney)
A Father's Watch (written by Simon Rich)

SEASON 29

The Serfsons (written by Brian Kelley)
Springfield Splendor (written by Tim Long and Miranda Thompson) - this airs next week

So my advice if you enjoy these two episodes is to seek out the other Selman-showrun fare from past seasons that you have not watched. Because the Al Jean episodes that will follow are likely to disappoint.
Start with Halloween of Horror... which is amazing.

Incidentally, for those of you didn't know, Matt Selman also wrote the story and dialogue for the fondly remembered The Simpsons: Hit & Run video game.

jrush64

Banned

vypek

This is just sad watching this.

The spoof on the Night King from Game of Thrones is terrible.

I've never seen an episode of Game of Thrones but I'm not enjoying it either. Figured it might be a little better for people who are getting the references.

mantidor

I typically don't shill for other Fox animated fare in these threads but seeing how it's not exactly generating buzz elsewhere on GAF, I did want to give a shout out to the high-concept Bob's Burgers episode that is airing tomorrow night comprised entirely of fan-generated animation techniques and concept artwork. It looks amazing.

tumblr_om7f35SAS11rpj3gjo1_500.jpg

anigif_sub-buzz-6670-1506706174-2.gif

anigif_sub-buzz-31141-1506706208-7.gif

FOX Promo
Bob's Fan Art Title Sequence
By the Fans, For the Fans - Behind the Scenes

Hmmm does this have anything to do with the actual Brazilian burger chain Bob's?

UberTag

A format-bender episode like this needs to be more than "hey, I know where that reference comes from" moments.
There's an amusing Lord of the Rings joke in Act 2... but otherwise, I was pretty disappointed with this episode.
They played it too straight when they needed to double-down on the comedy.
The lack of music was painfully distracting as well. And I could have done without all of the unamusing afterlife musing which then transitioned into a tired magic vs. science debate.

Tapejara

I wasn't really a fan of the episode either. I got a few laughs in (like when they're attacking the castle and Nelson uses the breads loaves like swords/Carl uses the pig like a bomb), but otherwise it was pretty dull. Also, maybe it's just the fact that I've been rewatching a bunch of classic-era Simpsons these past few months, but this the first episode in a while where I've considered the animation to be quite lifeless. Some parts looked great, but it was rather sterile in general.

Missed Bob's Burgers, but I'll try catching it again via time-shifting.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What was that?
Why the Medieval theme?
I just... that was dumb. At least the DHS article will be good.

UberTag

What was that?
Why the Medieval theme?
I just... that was dumb. At least the DHS article will be good.
I would appreciate DHS more if they didn't rip on EVERY episode and only the bad ones. It's not like there's a shortage of those.
That said, there's a pretty decided consensus on what side of the coin this one landed on.

Clearly tonight's best animated show is going to wind up being a contest between the Bob's Burgers S8 premiere and the Rick and Morty S3 finale.

BatDan

I would appreciate DHS more if they didn't rip on EVERY episode and only the bad ones. It's not like there's a shortage of those.
That said, there's a pretty decided consensus on what side of the coin this one landed on.

I do feel he's been phoning it in with some of his posts lately.

A format-bender episode like this needs to be more than "hey, I know where that reference comes from" moments.
There's an amusing Lord of the Rings joke in Act 2... but otherwise, I was pretty disappointed with this episode.
They played it too straight when they needed to double-down on the comedy.
The lack of music was painfully distracting as well. And I could have done without all of the unamusing afterlife musing which then transitioned into a tired magic vs. science debate.
Is this the first season without Alf Clauson?

UberTag

Just bumping tonight's premiere retrospective down the thread so I don't inadvertently wipe it out when I update the opening post... and yes, I'm aware that I'm already 0 for 1 in terms of my recommendation track record for the season. At least the episodes I recommended from the afternoon FXX marathon are decent.

THE SERFSONS - Sunday, October 1st | Episode Production Code = WABF17 (#619) / Writer = Brian Kelley / Showrunner = Matt Selman

Airtimes
8:00pm on Fox in the United States
7:30pm on Global in Canada

fDUZsIj.jpg

LISA USES ILLEGAL MAGIC TO TRY AND SAVE MARGE'S MOTHER

J4NUhxg.png
VIvQhx5.png

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ("Game of Thrones") Guest-Voices

In a magical medieval world, Marge's mother is turned into an Ice Walker and the only way for Homer to afford the cure is to force Lisa to use illegal magic. When the King discovers this, he kidnaps Lisa, and Homer must lead a feudal uprising to save her.

FOX Promo
Clip #1 - Bart Pranks Moe

Pre-airing Verdict

As usual, I'll be going the extra mile to ensure I'm not wasting your time by advocating a subpar effort before it airs. This, however, is clearly a step above recent season premieres and - being showrun by Selman and not Jean - means it's a pretty safe bet for quality (at least by this era's lowered standards).

The Serfsons is a pretty "out there" concept episode for the show but I can understand the desire to embrace a full-fledged Game of Thrones-style parody without short-shrifting it in some lame one-off Treehouse of Horror segment. Apparently, all manner of other fantasy tropes and franchises will be paid tribute to here.

Brian Kelley has experience incorporating the Simpsons character templates in an otherwise outside of the norm historical context in Season 15's Margical History Tour and I've largely enjoyed his recent HD era efforts with the notable exception of Moms I'd Like to Forget. He's collaborated with showrunner Matt Selman more than any other writer (Brick Like Me, The Marge-ian Chronicles) so they clearly have a solid working relationship.

FXX Marathon Theme - Fantastic Realms (weekly themed 4-hour mini-marathons run each and every Sunday afternoon on FXX before new episodes premiere)

nDDickz.jpg
ARUik9w.jpg
LfwxG9L.jpg
6MalCMX.jpg

3:00pm Diatribe of a Mad Housewife (S15E10 / FABF05 / 2004)
3:30pm The Haw-Hawed Couple (S18E8 / JABF02 / 2006)
4:00pm Marge Gamer (S18E17 / JABF10 / 2007)
4:30pm Lisa the Drama Queen (S20E9 / KABF22 / 2009)

VTSxPnd.jpg
4ETRuft.jpg
ardDwUc.jpg
WWRWBei.jpg

5:00pm Gone Maggie Gone (S20E13 / LABF04 / 2009)
5:30pm Rednecks and Broomsticks (S21E7 / LABF19 / 2009)
6:00pm The Book Job (S23E6 / NABF22 / 2011)
6:30pm Married to the Blob (S25E10 / SABF03 / 2014)

Highly Recommended: The Haw-Hawed Couple, Gone Maggie Gone, The Book Job
Worth Watching: Marge Gamer, Married to the Blob
Nothing Special: Diatribe of a Mad Housewife, Lisa the Drama Queen, Rednecks and Broomsticks
Is this the first season without Alf Clauson?
Officially, they're still retaining him in some meager capacity but they've canned his entire orchestra and the writing has clearly been on the wall this entire production cycle as almost every WABF episode has been deathly silent and lacking in background music. It's clear the music budget is virtually non-existent even compared to most children's series aimed at niche audiences on poorly circulated cable networks. There are probably YouTube shows and podcasts with more of a music budget now.

This is another reason I'm convinced the show is ending after Season 30 because they're trimming the fat wherever possible just to get these out the door.

B.K.

That was one of the worst episodes I've ever seen and whoever did the voice for Marge's mom did the worst voice work the show has ever had in 29 years.

BatDan

Apparently this is the new composer for the series (until it ends)

That was one of the worst episodes I've ever seen and whoever did the voice for Marge's mom did the worst voice work the show has ever had in 29 years.

Julie Kavner, she voices all the Bouviers (except Marge's dad of course). She's 67 and her voice is going hard, it's very noticeable in Marge the last few seasons. There was a promo out there for the Season 26 premiere where Marge had a very strained voice.

All the actors are getting old. I heard the reason Barney never shows up is that Dan says doing his voice is too hard now.,

UberTag

Is there a gelatinous cube in GoT?
Apparently that was a Dungeons & Dragons shout-out.

Julie Kavner, she voices all the Bouviers (except Marge's dad of course). She's 67 and her voice is going hard, it's very noticeable in Marge the last few seasons. There was a promo out there for the Season 26 premiere where Marge had a very strained voice.

All the actors are getting old. I heard the reason Barney never shows up is that Dan says doing his voice is too hard now.,
Yet another reason why folks shouldn't be expecting anything more than a movie at most once the show finally wraps.

Any reboot will have an entirely new cast.
Any spinoff will be built around one of the younger regulars. Which pretty much means either Hank Azaria (who is no longer in Los Angeles) or Yeardley Smith... both of whom are only 53.

BatDan

Apparently that was a Dungeons & Dragons shout-out.

Yet another reason why folks shouldn't be expecting anything more than a movie at most once the show finally wraps.

Any reboot will have an entirely new cast.
Any spinoff will be built around one of the younger regulars. Which pretty much means either Hank Azaria (who is no longer in Los Angeles) or Yeardley Smith... both of whom are only 53.

I'd be down for an Apu spin-off.

But yeah, a new cast is more likely when the reboot happens (and yes that's a "when", Fox continues to go back to the well of shows that succeeded, and since The Simpsons are icons on the level of Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny, expect all new interpretations and everything).

Kavner and Shearer definitely wouldn't come back. Especially since Shearer keeps threatening to leave as he's only in it for the paycheck now.

Tapejara

Anyone here catch this week's episode?

I thought it was a good Marge-and-Lisa story. Not particularly funny, but overall more enjoyable than the premiere.

I love the risks they are taking this season! However you can definitely tell we are in showcase territory. Everyone is either trying to show out for their next thing or finally do their dream ep. I'm loving it though!

mreddie

So this week, we are getting Treehouse of Horror but that's not the main attraction Sunday.

Before that, we are getting a one hour Mockumentary of Homer at the Bat. I would say why show it now when oh right, World Series is coming up.

Sneak Peek.

BatDan

Definitely wise to end next season, especially with Julie Kavner's voice getting worse and worse.

So this week, we are getting Treehouse of Horror but that's not the main attraction Sunday.

Before that, we are getting a one hour Mockumentary of Homer at the Bat. I would say why show it now when oh right, World Series is coming up.

Sneak Peek.

That sounds amazing. ... I hope.

Top Bottom