• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sonic movie might actually be good?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Against all odds, not only is this seemingly turning out to be a decent movie, it also looks set to break records:

300px-Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

It's a shame that it's international ticket sales might take a beating from the Caronavirus. It's not due to release in China until the 28th, so hopefully most of the cinemas may have reopened by then.
That's great news

I'm not a guy that seeks for sequels, but this one deserves it

Gotta go fast!

Green_Eyes

I actually really enjoyed it and wanna see it again. Classic Sonic + Jim Carrey really took me back on a nostalgia trip. I loved the Robotnik conversion you witness during the after credits scene.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I actually really enjoyed it and wanna see it again. Classic Sonic + Jim Carrey really took me back on a nostalgia trip. I loved the Robotnik conversion you witness during the after credits scene.
Could be better if the first trailer didn't use it, but that's ok

stickkidsam

Wish I wasn't broke until next Friday, but maybe I'll sneak in to a showing with my super stealth skills. So glad to hear this movie is doing well.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

2 of these didn’t like it

Some more reviews I thought it was more fair to show opposing opinions so you can make up your own mind

I do not know what the hell people are expecting.

I thought the film was fantastic. It had some laughs(my theatre was laughing, especially at Jim Carrey) , it had some action, it had a ton of nice easter eggs, and I left excited for a sequel. What more do people want?

Now that we know Tails and Echidna are in this universe, it makes me wonder. Were they re-designed as well? I thought they both looked great.

And how far back are they going to pull from Sonic media, because as far as I know the Echidna being a tribe was only referenced in Satam and Sonic Adventure

Last edited:

Codes 208

Just saw it again with a friend, he also really enjoyed it.

we both have come to the acknowledgement that this movie was about as enjoyable as detective pikachu was (a solid 7.5)

my favorite bit is crazy earl showing a drawing of Sanic

Carna

Banned
6 or 7, that's my final rating.

The dialogue got on my nerves though, maybe it's just that I don't watch movies often besides a few exceptions.

Surprised to see Gary Chalk in this film. he was grounder (the green drill robot) from one of the 90s Sonic cartoons.

What SEGA ip do you guys want adapted into a film now? I want a good House of the Dead film (that embraces the cheese) to make up for that terrible early 2000s one. Japan can make a decent Yakuza jdrama if they make it feel like the games.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
I'd love a Panzer Dragoon film. But I know that Hollywood would screw it up.
I think Panzer Dragoon would make a decent France short film inspired by the director of the Fifth Element (though he would probably make it a full length movie) there was a anime for it. But it wasn't worth the runtime.

Vlaphor

Just saw it today in fact. Thought it was a damn fine movie. A good light hearted childrens flick with an audience mostly made up of guys in their 30's (like me). Jim Carrey was fantastic as well.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
What ? Paramount is paying Sega for movie(s?) that will boost Sonic games. That's devilish ha ha. (but also a WIN WIN strategy since Paramount had many failures recently. Sonic will reach 100 millions dollars on monday and Paramount can now fund a new hit every year. I guess Sonic became a top priority now).

Quasicat

I really enjoyed it last night that I plan to see it again before it leaves my local theater. I liked all of the references and the surprise mid credits. Here’s the one thing on my mind. Was Gangsta’s Paradise supposed to be the song used during the opening montage like in the first trailer? I didn’t care for it in the trailer and definitely liked that it was replaced it with
Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I really enjoyed it last night that I plan to see it again before it leaves my local theater. I liked all of the references and the surprise mid credits. Here’s the one thing on my mind. Was Gangsta’s Paradise supposed to be the song used during the opening montage like in the first trailer? I didn’t care for it in the trailer and definitely liked that it was replaced it with
Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen.

I dunno, But some scenes were changed from the original first trailer into the final film. Do hope the next film will use His world as a theme song

Piku_Ringo

Banned
What ? Paramount is paying Sega for movie(s?) that will boost Sonic games. That's devilish ha ha. (but also a WIN WIN strategy since Paramount had many failures recently. Sonic will reach 100 millions dollars on monday and Paramount can now fund a new hit every year. I guess Sonic became a top priority now).

That could end up being a detriment rather than a boon for a Sonic sequel though.

MV5BMDNlMTdiMGEtYzdjMS00YTM1LTk5NDMtZTZlMmQzZGVhNjI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTUxMTQwOTg@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg
wonder if this is a reference to him using surfboards to move around in some games?

prag16

Banned
I brought the kids on Friday night. It's good. Anybody on the first page want to eat some crow yet? Or will your confirmation bias get the best of you (if you even bother to see it at all)?

The kids loved it, and I liked it a lot too. Nothing earth shattering, but just a fun adventure for all ages. It was also fun seeing Jim Carrey back in a role behaving the way he did during his prime in the 90s. The scenes with him shitting on the bad guy from Minority Report, and his assistant, I found funnier than I probably should have.

With how much everyone was shitting on it prerelease, I was half surprised they included not one but two mid-credits sequel hooks. My theater erupted in cheers when the second mid-credits scene played. But with the strong box office performance, this seems pretty much guaranteed to get a sequel.

Last edited:

Kazza

I brought the kids on Friday night. It's good. Anybody on the first page want to eat some crow yet? Or will your confirmation bias get the best of you (if you even bother to see it at all)?

I would guess that this thread would have been at least 4 times as long by now if the movie had turned out bad and bombed. We probably won't be seeing the haters again any time soon.

Kagey K

Banned
I would guess that this thread would have been at least 4 times as long by now if the movie had turned out bad and bombed. We probably won't be seeing the haters again any time soon.
This is what I hate about the internet.

In my eyes it’s ok to be wildly wrong about something as long as you come back and own it.

Leaving hot takes and then pretending that they didn’t happen later loses all my respect. Just come back with some humility and we are good.

If you want to gloat when you are right, you better be ready to own it when you are wrong.

It’s not that hard.

JSoup

Banned
To be fair, breaking a record for a video game movie is a pretty low bar.
Gonna go see Sonic this week, looking forward to this shit.

Kagey K

Banned
To be fair, breaking a record for a video game movie is a pretty low bar.
Gonna go see Sonic this week, looking forward to this shit.
Is it though? There have been a lot of video game movies.

It also didn’t just set the record, it was the number 1 movie this weekend, which means it had to transfer over to the non gamer in order to pass some of the other movies.

Kagey K

Banned
Yes.
Next highest video game movie opening was Resident Evil: Afterlife ($36 million) followed by Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ($18 million).
I think Detective Pikachu did better then that.

Also Ready Player One (not sure if it counts) it’s a movie about video games, but not based off of one franchise.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
I think Detective Pikachu did better then that.

Also Ready Player One (not sure if it counts) it’s a movie about video games, but not based off of one franchise.

You're likely right about Detective Pikachu, I had completely forgotten about it.

Raph64

That SEGA logo in the intro composed of multiple screens showing practically every game Sega already made just melt my heart.

Saaaaame bro. I actually had chills rewatching the intro, the opening music accompanying it was great too ! :messenger_savoring:

I may have personally not grown with all Sega games, but somehow, the intro managed to become one of my favorite moments in the entire movie. There's just something emotional in you that clicks seeing all those great past SEGA IPs into a Marvel MCU-like intro. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Raph64

On topic, as someone who's been eagerly anticipating Sonic's redesign and Jim Carrey's return into form after years of absence, I thought this movie was pretty enjoyable. Not perfect ( duh ), perhaps not as good as Detective Pikachu was in many aspects compared to the Sonic Movie ( such as the worldbuilding and the general plot ), but I would honestly lie if I said that I haven't enjoyed this movie. Mainly for Jim Carrey's always great acting skills.

I do hope that the movie works well enough for it to be granted a sequel so it could hopefully become more interesting that the last movie.

Seriously though, this SEGA intro has to be one of the best intros I've seen in my life :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Virex

Banned
Wonder if they are going to do a Sonichu movie now as well?

P.S. What's with all the cringe youtube thumbnails the last year? I'd be embarrassed if I were these youtubers

Last edited:

FranXico

With how much everyone was shitting on it prerelease, I was half surprised they included not one but two mid-credits sequel hooks. My theater erupted in cheers when the second mid-credits scene played. But with the strong box office performance, this seems pretty much guaranteed to get a sequel.
You mean, we're gonna get a creepy Tails and Knuckles trailer?

haadim

Really ??!

A good and successful Sonic movie ?

Mascot to dead-and-buried videogame system ?

What timeline is this .....

Carna

Banned
I don't know, thinking more back on it. I'm not fond of how Sonic is portrayed in this movie. Sure, wanting and being surrounded by friends is somewhat apart of his character (old neogaf hated this) but the stalker and lonely parts just feels weird and unfitting, I only put it above the writing in the games since colors because the movie puts more effort into Sonic caring about others than pontaff could with the wrong turn that is Lost World

Robotnik/eggman (I'm not gonna start arguments over his name) seems threatening, smart. and crazy, but the cheesy Hollywood writing sets me off. monologues and the thing about him not being breastfeed, that doesn't feel like Sonic.

Jacknapes

The Sonic movie turned out to be pretty good for a video game adaption. Sega seemingly can't make a good Sonic game these days, but can churn a good movie out.

Top Bottom