• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sonic movie might actually be good?

Carna

Banned
The Sonic movie turned out to be pretty good for a video game adaption. Sega seemingly can't make a good Sonic game these days, but can churn a good movie out.
The adventure games were great though, I wish Sega stuck to the Adventure 2 formula instead of changing the gameplay for heroes :(

Xenon

Liked the movie, but a bit disappointed with the portrayal of Sonic. Too family-friendly for my tastes.

You need to get off the internet for a while you twisted bastard.

I enjoyed the movie and the characters. I just wished Cary could have dialed it down just a bit

Last edited:
6 or 7, that's my final rating.

The dialogue got on my nerves though, maybe it's just that I don't watch movies often besides a few exceptions.

Surprised to see Gary Chalk in this film. he was grounder (the green drill robot) from one of the 90s Sonic cartoons.

What SEGA ip do you guys want adapted into a film now? I want a good House of the Dead film (that embraces the cheese) to make up for that terrible early 2000s one. Japan can make a decent Yakuza jdrama if they make it feel like the games.
High quality Yakuza film footage of glorious nippongo

lock2k

Banned
I'm really happy that Sega is handling this property so well.

Even if it was terribad I would watch it (and probably like it). I even like the worst Sonic games. But it's good to see that it's actually good and it's being praised.

stickkidsam

Adventure 2 was one of the last good Sonic games. Generations had a step back in the right direction.
I feel like Unleashed was the last stand out 3D Sonic game overall. Fantastic Daytime levels, a fun story, beautiful areas, and a great soundtrack as usual. Generations only really iterated on the Boost formula, and in some ways I'd say it oversimplified the gameplay (e.g. light speed dash only works on glowing rings, timed button presses are gone, slower max speed iirc). Still a great time, but the only thing that makes it so fun is the Anniversary theme... and that's it.

I'd love to see a combination of the Boost and Adventure formula someday. There's some neat fan games attempting to capitalize on the idea.

Last edited:
I took my younger son to see it last night. It was.......fine. Jim Carrey was funny. The plot wasn't amazing but could have been worse. The CGI and action were really good and represented the games really well. The final action sequence of the movie was really nicely done. My main issue with the movie was with one specific thing having to do with Sonic himself: his dialogue and humor were just mediocre and often way too sappy. It just wasn't smart writing. I don't think my kid laughed at one thing Sonic said. (He laughed plenty at Dr. Robotnik though.)

RAIDEN1

Timely boost for Sega, as they haven't had much to shout about lately, just surprises me it has taken this long for a Sonic movie to come out, there could have easily been an animated movie out in the past 20 years, be it CGI or in other more traditional format.....and the character re-design makes a world of difference, otherwise if they went with the original design, for sure the movie would likely have sunk at the box-office...

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Timely boost for Sega, as they haven't had much to shout about lately, just surprises me it has taken this long for a Sonic movie to come out, there could have easily been an animated movie out in the past 20 years, be it CGI or in other more traditional format.....and the character re-design makes a world of difference, otherwise if they went with the original design, for sure the movie would likely have sunk at the box-office...

Hopefully the movie's success won't lead to the studio being too overzelous in pushing out a sequel asap just to make more money.

Kazza

It's raced past the $100m mark now:

The top-10 markets for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie are: Mexico ($6.7M), the UK ($6.2M), France ($4.3M), Germany ($3.3M), Brazil ($3M), Australia ($2.8M), Spain ($2M), Italy ($1.9M), Ukraine ($1M) and Colombia ($1M).

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Jim Carrey is god is this movie.
He was god in Bruce Almighty, but that's ok
0e9.jpg

chinoXL

the movie was definitely better than i expected...Jim Carey is that dude and did a gr8 job..i still laugh at Sonic's initial design, dunno wtf they was thinking lol also i was just saying to my lil bro that Sonic Adventures was the last dope sonic game..shame they havent had a lot of luck with him in 3d

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It was watchable. It had an emotional core. It had a villain and a hero with drops of charisma. There is potential for the sequel.

But for now I must say Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill remain the best film adaptations of games. Thats sad.

Daymos

This movie has made me realize that I have no interest in watching movies based on video games, they have far too many cutscenes.

What a really good film ! Yes... it's silly and for kids but its genuinely well made and funny quite funny in parts.

Love how the Eggman turns out in the end and the appearance of

Think many will be quite surprised at how good this is

Wow, I didn't expect it to be a good movie. Let it be, I'll watch it. :lollipop_beaming_smiling:

You should if you're a fan of Sonic or SEGA.
The film was so full of nice touches to SEGA and the source material. I would imagine the Mushroom world was a pee take out of Mushroom Kingdom (yes I know Mushrooms are in S&K) LOL. I would also imagine those were Knuckles trib chasing baby Sonic too. It was so much a role for Jim Carrey and fair play to the man, he nailed it and stole the show, oh the music track was awesome too.

It makes one want to play Sonic Adv all over again. Can' wait for the BluRay

Codes 208

I took my younger son to see it last night. It was.......fine. Jim Carrey was funny. The plot wasn't amazing but could have been worse. The CGI and action were really good and represented the games really well. The final action sequence of the movie was really nicely done. My main issue with the movie was with one specific thing having to do with Sonic himself: his dialogue and humor were just mediocre and often way too sappy. It just wasn't smart writing. I don't think my kid laughed at one thing Sonic said. (He laughed plenty at Dr. Robotnik though.)
I mean thats sonic in a nutshell, frequent cringey one liners and bland jokes. The legit comic relief almost always comes from other characters like eggman or knuckles (& knuckles)

well, post-AoStH

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

It made $200 million...we are probably gonna get a sequel. Weird it is a video game movie that doesn't suck and it mixed CGI and live action characters.

stickkidsam

Finally got to see the movie and maaaan... that was way past cute.

I wasn't sure what to make of reviewers pointing out how obvious the movie made itself out to be a kids movie, but I get it now. Everything from the pristine interiors of every building to the interactions of the human characters couldn't be more non threatening. Any conflict felt more akin to kids playing than an actual threat.

And ya know what? It's alright. It was a fun movie.

What REALLY took me by surprise was how childish Sonic was (which turns out is because he's actually a child here). He's more what I would expect Tails to be like than Sonic, lacking confidence and being generally naive. It was adorable nonetheless, but I hope he'll have grown a bit by the next movie (which had multiple teases).

Jim Carrey as Robotnik was a refreshing surprise. The man knows how to jump off the rocker and into a (oddly stylin) lab coat. Ultimately he was playing himself, but I think it compliments the role really well. Robotnik has always been a nudge away from the deep end of madness; just throw in some zany antics and his portrayal here works.

The supporting cast is nothing memorable. They're hardly characters so much as vehicles for Sonic to get through the plot with but they did the job. Really hoping the next movie doesn't feature them... at all.

So overall, it's a good time. Check it out if ya want a wholesome laugh. Maybe a cringe here and there.

Reactions: Alx
Meh, it was okay. It wasn't anything special. I thought Sonic was pretty annoying and Dr Robotnik really kept the film alive for me. I'll have to do some rock-onissence on the sequel.

Vol5

Watched with my kids. They enjoyed it at least. I fell asleep about an hour into it. I couldn't stand how annoying Sonic was and most of the jokes falling completely flat. Even Carrey couldn't bring any semblance of fun to this train wreck of a movie.

Alx

Finally got to see the movie and maaaan... that was way past cute.

I wasn't sure what to make of reviewers pointing out how obvious the movie made itself out to be a kids movie, but I get it now. Everything from the pristine interiors of every building to the interactions of the human characters couldn't be more non threatening. Any conflict felt more akin to kids playing than an actual threat.

And ya know what? It's alright. It was a fun movie.

What REALLY took me by surprise was how childish Sonic was (which turns out is because he's actually a child here). He's more what I would expect Tails to be like than Sonic, lacking confidence and being generally naive. It was adorable nonetheless, but I hope he'll have grown a bit by the next movie (which had multiple teases).

Jim Carrey as Robotnik was a refreshing surprise. The man knows how to jump off the rocker and into a (oddly stylin) lab coat. Ultimately he was playing himself, but I think it compliments the role really well. Robotnik has always been a nudge away from the deep end of madness; just throw in some zany antics and his portrayal here works.

The supporting cast is nothing memorable. They're hardly characters so much as vehicles for Sonic to get through the plot with but they did the job. Really hoping the next movie doesn't feature them... at all.

So overall, it's a good time. Check it out if ya want a wholesome laugh. Maybe a cringe here and there.

Yep that's basically my take on the movie. Obviously aimed at kids, very predictable and full of clichés (starting with the introduction and the "yep, that's me" freeze frame), but I had a big grin on my face during most of it.
It's just bright, colorful and inoffensive, just like the original games. It's a good and refreshing adaptation in that way, not trying to be deeper or more parodic than necessary. Even Sonic was the right level of annoying, enough to define his character without being obnoxious.
Oh and of course Carrey was great in it.

Kazza

It's now officially the biggest game-based movie in North American history:

Also, fuck toilet paper and pasta, get your tickets to see the movie now before the c-virus closes all cinemas:

Top Bottom