• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Star Trek Beyond News & Production Thread: Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a weird upgrade.

New-USS-Enterprise-NCC-1701.jpg

CnUFn8mUkAA3X4_.jpg:large

inm8num2

Twitter impressions from some critics/writers or other random people.

STAR TREK BEYOND does something magical: has big, bold action but puts these characters in, basically, a TOS episode. For me it was a dream.
#StarTrekBeyond is a lot of fun. Leagues better than Into Darkness. I don't like it quite as much as 2009 though.
#StarTrekBeyond feels like a TOS episode in a way that gives this new Trekverse a really long future. Fun, pretty dark, lots of fan moments
Just saw Star Trek Beyond. I am allowed to say I really, really enjoyed it. Way better than Into Darkness & closest to spirit of TOS.
Star Trek Beyond is a well made scifi adventure. It just isn’t Star Trek. It’s a pretty good Mass Effect movie, though, if you want that
Any TOS fan is going to love #StarTrekBeyond. The most beautiful Trek movie & the closest to the original series. A true space adventure!
Star Trek Beyond's character moments are its strongest quality. The crew's banter and conversations are as fun as the action.

Morts

I hope someone will write if the inside of the enterprise finally matches the outside. It really felt strange to me. I know people with my view are in the minority it's just one of my quirks.

Judging from the trailers
I don't think the Enterprise will be much of a factor.

After Ghostbusters reviewing well I was hoping this would be a nice surprise as well. I hope these impressions hold into the critical reviews.

A Ghostbusters/Star Trek one-two punch will make me happy.

It's 84 all over again but with what might be a better Star Trek film.

I believe they release a week a part as well.

It's also the third Star Trek film in a new franchise and the first Ghostbusters film in a new franchise.

I'm a casual Trek fan that really liked the first two Abrams movies. Into Darkness hate soars over my head. I think I'll be fine with this one.

I'm a casual Trek fan that really liked the first two Abrams movies. Into Darkness hate soars over my head. I think I'll be fine with this one.

You and me both, brother.

I know I'm going to love this movie, and seeing these positive impressions is just taking my hype to out of control levels.

Guy.brush

That's a weird upgrade.

Well at least the engine narcelles aren't almost hitting the saucer section. The 2009 Enterprise design was weird in that way. the narcelles should either be above or below the saucer and a bit away from it to make their existence a bit logical.

tomtom94

This is reminding me of the first impressions for Age of Ultron, but I'm pleased to see they're positive, I was worried the fans would turn on it.

kess

Any TOS fan is going to love #StarTrekBeyond. The most beautiful Trek movie & the closest to the original series. A true space adventure!

Hnnng.

I hope it's more Kirkian "what the fuck is space" than Nazis in space though

butalala

Yeah as mentioned, swept back pylons, also thinner engines, more phasers and a slimmer neck.

I actually really like these changes. It's closer to the original refit/Enterprise-A, which are still my favorite. Does it still appear to be 1000 ft. long or whatever it was in the 2009 movie?

Penguin

What does it look like? Exactly the same?

Hmm... Hmm

They find an older Starfleet ship on the planet, the Franklin and that's what is used during the climax. They build a new Enterprise at the very end and blast off in that

I hope someone will write if the inside of the enterprise finally matches the outside. It really felt strange to me. I know people with my view are in the minority it's just one of my quirks.

As in the ship seems much larger on the inside?

Maybe just the vastness of space, but really do not get that it is some gigantic multi-level housing placce

Jackpot

Banned
How does the scaling work with this image?

There's so little inside it it looks quite small.

Hmm... Hmm

They find an older Starfleet ship on the planet, the Franklin and that's what is used during the climax. They build a new Enterprise at the very end and blast off in that

I know all that stuff already. What does
the new Ent
look like

Look at the core of the saucer section, it's about 15/16 decks deep, which is about the same depth as the E-D saucer, so it kinda matches up.

On the original refit Enterprise the bridge pretty much occupied the whole dome on the top of the saucer, but in the JJ version the bridge is a small portion to the front of the same dome.

That is fantastic news! Can't wait to see if next week!

Yeah, those quotes sound excellent. Hope the reviews are positive too so people go see it.

Love this cast so hearing their varied interactions (like in the first movie) are a highlight again is great news.

Great to read that one from the guy who says Pine continues to rock as Kirk and that this might be his turn yet, since he's great in the role.

From a nerd perspective, this was my only big problem with 2009 Trek. The ship is just too big, and there was no reason to make it that big.

Correct. The Kelvin Enterprise is built big enough to house entire families, but only houses an exploratory crew. It's weird.

From a nerd perspective, this was my only big problem with 2009 Trek. The ship is just too big, and there was no reason to make it that big.

They just felt the original Enterprise and refit were just too small I think, they wanted big sets and lots of detail. But yeah, the final size is kinda ludicrous.

Even by today's standards, the original Enterprise was shorter than a 1960s aircraft carrier.

I know all that stuff already. What does
the new Ent
look like

I hate this so much.

If the Franklin is a Warp 4 ship it shouldn't follow the post-Kelvin design aesthetics. It should look more like the NX-01 than the Abramsverse NCC-1701. The nacelles are totally off.

TheXbox

Even from the trailers you can see that is nonsense, I think the people saying that really need go watch TOS again, or at all.
the two trailers that I saw were so tonally dissonant that I'm not sure you could say one way or the other. I couldn't even tell you wtf the movie is about, tbh

All I know is Pegg wrote it, or some of it, so it's not hard for me to believe that there's some major TOS influence in play. Not in the Abrams "look at this thing you remember" fashion, but legit 60's TOS camp and bantz. (Which wouldn't play so well in a trailer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom