• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland1979

If we are talking about the state or future of Neogaf I'm not going to take what a junior's opinion over a long term member.

Especially since there seems to be a flood of alts/junior coming out the woodwork now that they can "say how they really feel".

Can you tell whether i'm a junior or not?

They're not allowed to talk about Neogaf on the new site. It's no wonder they'd come here to talk about it.

Not shocked. I remember coming here for the first time and surprised at the reaction given if someone mentioned Chartz. I was told you could get banned just for mentioning them. Not sure how true that is because I never linked or spoke about them.

I was a member of that site for years and always found the users to be pleasant, just like here. We would discuss many things and it’s where I learned about GAF, because many members jumped between the two.

Seems some GAF users hold grudges and let it spill into their sites. Yes, I know the history between the two sites.

Carl

Not shocked. I remember coming here for the first time and surprised at the reaction given if someone mentioned Chartz.

I was a member of that site for years and always found the users to be pleasant, just like here. We would discuss many things and it’s where I learned about GAF.

Seems some GAF users hold grudges and let it spill into their sites. Yes, I know the history between the two sites.

The only reason you can talk about that site is that their numbers are bollocks. Nothing to do with the community there

OCD Guy

a lot of people are trying to help users get back to their communities.
Its really not that hard to understand.

And the people who can't leave until they're banned or "deleted"?

Log out button doesn't work?

The people you mention are a minority. There are a handful of members who are doing what you say, and you can see them genuinely doing that.

A large majority are just full of shit to be honest. ”I can't wait to leave this site fuck Evilore" erm maybe just leave on your own...

Here's an example of a post (and there are many more):

Sent a PM too but I don't know if it'll do any good. I also want my account to be permanently deleted.

In that circumstance why are they still posting? If they hate this place that much they would just leave right? It's a gaming forum, no one is obligated to post or stay if they don't like it. It's not like being in a workplace that you don't like but can't leave until you find something else lol

The only reason you can talk about that site is that their numbers are bollocks. Nothing to do with the community there

Yeah I know the reason that was given. I’ve heard it time and time again when I was a regular over there.

Just mentioning somewhat of a trend that I noticed. May be wrong, which is fine.

I’ve seen GAF create two communities now and then watched as GAF tried to suppress it. Unless the suppression thing was coming from ERA.

Which one is censoring the website and links and doing the PM thing? It’s bexoming confusing lol.

Letting people make threads about gaf over there would do nothing but invite everyone to talk shit and fuel some site war. It's not surprising they want to squash that.

Anung

Un Rama
Letting people make threads about gaf over there would do nothing but invite everyone to talk shit and fuel some site war. It's not surprising they want to squash that.

Yeah. The fact people are trying to twist this into something more sinister is laughable.

Zato

Banned
They're not allowed to talk about Neogaf on the new site. It's no wonder they'd have to come here to talk about it.

There is no wish to make an "us VS them" sentiment between the forums, they simply want to move on with a new start and GAF can move on also.

How individual members decide to leave GAF is solely on the head of that individual.

Syrus

Banned
Not shocked. I remember coming here for the first time and surprised at the reaction given if someone mentioned Chartz. I was told you could get banned just for mentioning them. Not sure how true that is because I never linked or spoke about them.

I was a member of that site for years and always found the users to be pleasant, just like here. We would discuss many things and it’s where I learned about GAF, because many members jumped between the two.

Thats not the reason they dont want to talk about GAF. Some have and they arent locking or banning.

They simply want a clean break and dont want tbe same vitriol comong over

Bishop89

And the people who can’t leave until they’re banned or "deleted"?

Log out button doesn’t work?

The people you mention are a minority. There are a handful of members who are doing what you say, and you can see them genuinely doing that.

A large majority are just full of shit to be honest. “I can’t wait to leave this site fuck Evilore” erm maybe just leave on your own...

Here's an example of a post:

In that circumstance why are they still posting? If they hate this place that much they would just leave right?
thats fair enough to those just intentionally trying to cause trouble, but believe me there are quite a few people legitimately seeking assistance with crossing over.

Thats not the reason they dont want to talk about GAF. Some have and they arent locking or banning.

They simply want a clean break and dont want tbe same vitriol comong over

I understand this entirely. I have no issues with ERA.

This issue is still fresh in many minds though, especially those who are migrating. I think there should be a sticky though on ERA for those who do want to still talk about it.

Without it people may migrate back here just to keep that discussion going, which may not be in the best interest of ERA.

This issue and GAF is what birthed that site when all is said and done, but theses calls aren’t mine to make.

OCD Guy

thats fair enough to those just intentionally trying to cause trouble, but believe me there are quite a few people legitimately seeking assistance with crossing over.

I know there are, and it's obvious who those people are.

There are some genuinely cool people who are going over to the new forum.

ValfarHL

If you're a member of a GAF Discord community you have better chances getting in.

I got an invite through the Battlefield Discord.

eso76

Looks like a lot of members were holding a grudge against GAF for different reasons and are now using this episode, and the promise of a rising new community, to jump ship.

People going rogue, posting stuff against the usual rules (when not against decency and common sense), expressing their hatred for former mods and gaf "ideals" shows they were not satisfied with how things were handled and not necessarily in agreement with the values around here, they just had to play along because there was no alternative.

What happened though, is that with GAF going offline for 2 days and looking like it might have never recovered, people were panicking and looking for alternatives. When they felt confident enough they'd find (or raise) a new community where they'd fit, they started judging GAF from the outside, remembered of all the times they thought mods abused their power and either realised or convinced themselves that they didn't really like it here after all.
The episode i feel is mostly a pretext for a lot of people.

Regardless, it's been a few days, granted, but this new gaf doesn't quite feel right and i am not sure things can ever be the same.

There is no wish to make an "us VS them" sentiment between the forums, they simply want to move on with a new start and GAF can move on also.

How individual members decide to leave GAF is solely on the head of that individual.
If a big gripe of theirs was that Evilore was censoring conversation (which is a valid complaint), it strikes me strange that their first instinct would be to censor conversation.

Axass

They're not allowed to talk about Neogaf on the new site. It's no wonder they'd have to come here to talk about it.

That is not true, the staff has simply asked not to dwell on the Evilore situation, which is fair because they don't want to foster "forum wars" and hate. If I had to guess people don't talk about GAF because they don't care anymore and/or there's really nothing to talk about.

RPGCrazied

And I'm seeing a few perm banned GAF members on that new site. Yeah, I couldn't go there. They were banned for being an ass, trolling and deserve to be on no forum.

Gaz_RB

And even then, people aren't being banned for talking about it. There's a lot of nostalgia and positivity about the old days happening over there, but almost zero negativity about "that other forum."

And I'm seeing a few perm banned GAF members on that new site. Yeah, I couldn't go there. They were banned for being an ass, trolling and deserve to be on no forum.

I've also seen the opposite, where users like Derrick, that were sometimes abrasive but had really interesting views on gaming, have come back. There's just as many banned faces over there that I'm happy to see back in the fold.

It's honestly like the near death experience has brought out the best in everyone.

That is not true, the staff has simply asked not to dwell on the Evilore situation, which is fair because they don't want to foster "forum wars" and hate. If I had to guess people don't talk about GAF because they don't care anymore and/or there's really nothing to talk about.
"We ask you not to post any threads about NeoGAF or its owner and avoid linking to the site."

y4GsX3e.png

Carl

I've also seen the opposite, where users like Derrick, that were sometimes abrasive but had really interesting views on gaming, have come back. There's just as many banned faces over there that I'm happy to see back in the fold.
ok

Who's being an ass over there? You don't have to go there. But the only reason they are over there is because they were parts of communities and people like them and want them there. Lots of those permanent banned members were still parts of these communities off of this site through things like discord. And by the looks of it everyone is happy and discussions are going well.

Axass

That is somewhat ironic, because your link doesn't link anything, since the site url is effectively banned here.

I stand partly corrected, however it doesn't say you can't talk about GAF, only you can't make threads about it (which at this point would be made 100% to stir shit up), also you forgot this:
This is in no way an attempt to shut down free discussion, but instead a way to avoid unnecessary complications with other parties.

RPGCrazied

Who's being an ass over there? You don't have to go there. But the only reason they are over there is because they were parts of communities and people like them and want them there. Lots of those permanent banned members were still parts of these communities off of this site through things like discord. And by the looks of it everyone is happy and discussions are going well.

Not naming names, and they have a couple questionable mods there too. Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Yeah. Which was a community decision to put brakes on the endless shower memes and resentment between the boards.

How is this not a good thing? The board is moving on.

Everyone agreed to that?

That is somewhat ironic, because your link doesn't link anything, since the site url is effectively banned here.

I stand partly corrected, however it doesn't say you can't talk about GAF, only you can't make threads about it (which at this point would be made 100% to stir shit up), also you forgot this:

It's highly ironic I will agree.

sephi22

2 pages of results of people mentioning NeoGAF. Try again

https://www.*************/search/5066/?q=neogaf&o=date&c[node]=7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom