• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Official Thread

I really like all the music. I know that the classics are irreplaceable, but I think what is there is closer to what more recent Street Fighters have done. I know we all translated the bleeps and bloops to butt-rock in our heads.

It's all along the lines of the windmill stage in CvS2, which I always thought was a standout track and really set a tone. You look at Cammy's stage in ST, and its hard not to go a little more atmospheric with it. Zangief's stage is really rocking without being over the top. M. Bison's stage has an epic anime feel to it. Blanka gets a dirty baseline because he really isn't living in an upscale resort. Whereas the melodies fit the stages in the classic version, I think the music genres and instruments of the Remixes really capture the location. Mostly.

Jirotrom said:
OC did the soundtrack way before the project. they were asked for their remixes i believe. Also stop complaining, if you like the original music its there for you to use it.

Good to know. And hey, I'm allowed to complain. I understand the concept of a remix, but I would have preferred they used most of the original sounds/instruments (in higher quality, of course). The fact that each stage sounded distinct really added to the flavor of traveling around the world. The new music just doesn't accomplish that to the same effect.

That's my preliminary impression at least. We'll see if they grow on me over time.

Edit: Just listened to the Fei Long track a few more times. While it does use a Chinese guitar (or whatever the proper name is for that instrument), it degrades into generica at about half way through, losing much of its flavor. Hopefully, the match has ended at that point, though, and admittedly the original track isn't that long to begin with.

Also, the explosive intro in the original track is something I would have used and expanded on. These are just frustrations from the musically inclined. I'm sure plenty of people think it's great.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ok, the luster has worn off a bit. Trying to match up and get people in rooms is some busted ass shit. Time outs, errors and more. Pretty shitty. =(

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
For the record, I find ranked matches do taker a while to find someone, but whenever I make a tourney it fills up fast.

So that's usually what I do.

Mr Jared

Fourth Storm said:
All I can say is that those OC Remix guys completely ruined it. Instead of emphasizing the distinctive parts of the tracks, they made them all sound more or less similar with shitty techno back beats and MIDI-sounding lead guitars.

Yeah, pretty much. I only lasted a few rounds with the remixed music on before I switched back to the original ST soundtrack. Although, if you listened to the Blood on the Asphalt album, you pretty much knew what to expect. I downloaded it after Capcom started talking about it being a reference point ... absolutely, positively, dreadful as fuck. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Insultingly bad, even.

HD Remix soundtrack is really no different. They took some of the most memorable songs ever and removed anything even remotely enjoyable.

But hey, thank god the good music is still in there. Now if only we could get back the old ST announcer as well :(

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I like the new version of the title screen music but I wish they got an actual drummer rather than using shitty midi-quality programmed drums instead.

EDIT: You know what would be awesome? If Mastodon had re-done the intro music. Mmmmmm...

Darkpen

Banned
Jirotrom said:
OC did the soundtrack way before the project. they were asked for their remixes i believe. Also stop complaining, if you like the original music its there for you to use it.
woah, overclocked remix did the soundtrack? I did not know that D:

Kweh

How do you do Guile’s Super in Remix, it looks straight forward enough on the move list, but I could never get it to work.

Kintaro said:
Ok, the luster has worn off a bit. Trying to match up and get people in rooms is some busted ass shit. Time outs, errors and more. Pretty shitty. =(

I'm having similar problems (PSN). Sometimes it's fine but other times, like you said, time outs and disconnections abound. Once I'm in a match though, I've found it great, bouts of slowdown here and there but in general, fantastic. I've been having an absolute blast playing online actually. I had some great fights with Gray Fox yesterday, although it did end up 15-3 to him I think. It was a lot closer than it may seem, I swear! :lol

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I really like Honda now. Just went 13-2 online with him. Beastly. Now I just ahve to get good at Zangief.

Saerk

If OC remix did the soundtrack that explains why the ken theme sounds so familiar. I had listened to that one many times before. I thought it sounded real close, but this just proves its the same version.

Aru

Am I the only one to think Shoryuken is hard to do on a 360 controller (new d-pad or not, it doesn't change anything for this game. I tried both) ?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
My online experience has been great with this game on 360. I've played about 120 ranked matches and 30 player matches online. Out of those 150 games, I've only had laggy matches twice. Once it was playable, the other it was pretty bad (but I still spammed special moves and won :p). The other 148 matches have been lag-free to the point that I can concentrate on strategy, rather than worrying about compensating for lag, which is awesome. I'm in Los Angeles with a cable modem connection, if that matters.

I have seen my fair share of glitches/bugs. The disappearing yellow health bar (although sometimes you can see the red health bar behind it, to a certain point); music dropping out until you reload the game; one time my screen went black with a few strange lines on it, on a bad launch. I was totally blind, but I was still able to throw a few sonic booms... lost the match though. Occasionally, I'll also get the "Connection lost" message when XBL first matches you up with someone, but it never gets to the character select screen so records are preserved.

Have I run across any GAF'ers in my travels? Don't think I did, but by the odds, I should have by now.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Everytime i quit the game ,my PS3 resets 0_o
Im pretty much afraid of playing it now ...

I've had another weird glitch where I'll keep being disconnected from online matches and then if I try to play arcade mode or a local mp match the game will completely seize up and I'll be forced to do a hard reset. That's happened two or three times now.

Any EU guys feel free to add me (PSN=freethought69).

decon

Brobzoid said:
where you representin' fool!?

I'm not very good, yet. :(
denmark_map.jpg

Don't mind the green dot.

Edit: that pictures was a bit too large.

Witchfinder General said:
Finally beat Akuma, and it only took over 50 rounds.

How do I unlock him? I mean, he should be there now that I've beaten him, right?
He never was locked, you just have to pres sup on Guile (I think it's Guile) in arcade mode to get him.

I haven't beat him yet (Vega stopped me yesterday, speedy ass motherfucker) but I could pick him in Arcade mode just like you can in Versus, it's just another character you have to press up on.

Akuma has always been there right from teh start, just press up on teh character selection screen, like when you're in the top row middle, on Guile or whoever it is (can't remember exactly).

Just like in X-Men vs Street Fighter.

Edit: :lol Hellraizer! :p

GrayFoxPL

freethought said:
I'm having similar problems (PSN). Sometimes it's fine but other times, like you said, time outs and disconnections abound. Once I'm in a match though, I've found it great, bouts of slowdown here and there but in general, fantastic. I've been having an absolute blast playing online actually. I had some great fights with Gray Fox yesterday, although it did end up 15-3 to him I think. It was a lot closer than it may seem, I swear! :lol

I had massive wave of connection problems yesterday, but to be fair it doesn't last that long. I mean for one error there's one good connection and I didn't have to reset the game or console once. They come and go. Good thing that the matches connect so fast so at the worst case you loose 10-15 seconds on network error.

Oh yeah, we had super smooth matches together :D. Yep, it was closer then score would tell.
Many times I was on 1% health and just did one move more. You are bit too focused on offense and rushing down. If I could give you one tip: Do not jump in on opponent right after you've knocked him down. You can't do anything to a fallen enemy, but he can easly counter you with a throw (or shoryuken and similar) while getting up. I did that to you many times as we fought :D.

Btw. on damage. Not sure if everyone knows this already, but SF has damage scalling. That means the less oponent has health the less damage you'll do to him. That's why so many matches end with near empty health bar (80% of mine) and that shoryuken that was sure to kill - doesn't. Sometimes annoying as fuck, sometimes a life saver - but it's there. For exact information on this please ask an expert I never bothered to gather any deep info on this even if I feel it in every match. :lol

Oh I've sent some friend requests to (mostly euro)gaffers today:

shagg_187, Seiken, The Hug Dog, Brobzoid, Kintaro, carlos and decon.

Please don't reject them or I will send you my tears of sadness and despair :(.

Anyone else please feel free to add me:

PSN: GrayFoxPL

Huggers

GrayFoxPL said:

shagg_187, Seiken, The Hug Dog, Brobzoid, PSN Darshiro, carlos and decon.

Accepted dude, look forward to going to war very soon!

GrayFoxPL

The Hug Dog said:
Accepted dude, look forward to going to war very soon!

Great! Can't wait to finish work!

I'm getting seriously addicted to this, like at night before falling asleep I keep thinking on strategies, timing, who I should play more and so on. Soon I'll be tiger uppercuting out of the bed in the morning!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will accept as soon as I'm finished with my dentist today, GrayFoxPL!

Can't wait to start Tigering people today too!

GrayFoxPL

Seiken said:
Will accept as soon as I'm finished with my dentist today, GrayFoxPL!

Can't wait to start Tigering people today too!

Yay!

Dentist? Arrrh!

You are planning to tiger him when he's done, are you? :D

"Eye of the tiger, tiger, tiger uppercut!"

Huggers

GrayFoxPL said:
Great! Can't wait to finish work!

I'm getting seriously addicted to this, like at night before falling asleep I keep thinking on strategies, timing, who I should play more and so on. Soon I'll be tiger uppercuting out of the bed in the morning!

:lol

I'm exactly the same, I've gotten completely hooked all over again, what a game!

kamorra said:
I'm also a euro gaffer so if you guys like some easy prey add me. PSN is kamorra.

Added

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
kamorra said:
I'm also a euro gaffer so if you guys like some easy prey add me. PSN is kamorra.
So it's up on EU PSN now? Or are you guys just using US accounts?

I'll be adding once I've got it for sure. PSN should be B-Genius (gay little ninja avatar for confirmation).

yurinka

GrayFoxPL said:
I had massive wave of connection problems yesterday, but to be fair it doesn't last that long. I mean for one error there's one good connection and I didn't have to reset the game or console once. They come and go. Good thing that the matches connect so fast so at the worst case you loose 10-15 seconds on network error.

Oh yeah, we had super smooth matches together :D. Yep, it was closer then score would tell.
Many times I was on 1% health and just did one move more. You are bit too focused on offense and rushing down. If I could give you one tip: Do not jump in on opponent right after you've knocked him down. You can't do anything to a fallen enemy, but he can easly counter you with a throw (or shoryuken and similar) while getting up. I did that to you many times as we fought :D.

Btw. on damage. Not sure if everyone knows this already, but SF has damage scalling. That means the less oponent has health the less damage you'll do to him. That's why so many matches end with near empty health bar (80% of mine) and that shoryuken that was sure to kill - doesn't. Sometimes annoying as fuck, sometimes a life saver - but it's there. For exact information on this please ask an expert I never bothered to gather any deep info on this even if I feel it in every match. :lol

shagg_187, Seiken, The Hug Dog, Brobzoid, Kintaro, carlos and decon.

I added you (PSN ID = Yurinka), I'm from Spain and have a really good connection. I had connection problems the first 2 days, but the third I played a lot without problems, only with lag depending of the other guy (mainly from US, I think). Some matches were really smooth.

Looks like the connection problems happened mainly due to server saturation, but still there are a few bugs to be fixed. Let's hope they patch them.

I think the lag is understandable when playing vs something from other continent (America in this case) or with a really bad connection.

GrayFoxPL

kamorra said:
Will add. Don't worry, we all got our cuts and bruises!
Some do it to themselves but shhhh!

yurinka said:
I added you (PSN ID = Yurinka), I'm from Spain and have a really good connection. I had connection problems the first 2 days, but the third I played a lot without problems, only with lag depending of the other guy (mainly from US, I think). Some matches were really smooth.

Looks like the connection problems happened mainly due to server saturation, but still there are a few bugs to be fixed. Let's hope they patch them.

I think the lag is understandable when playing vs something from other continent (America in this case) or with a really bad connection.

Yeah, I added you 2 or so days ago. Pings are better now, but you're right that some things needs to be patched. I'm sure that after letting us wait so long there gonna keep an eye on this. But to tell you the truth I'm afraid that patch could fix something and break something else. It happens.

B-Genius said:
So it's up on EU PSN now? Or are you guys just using US accounts?

I'll be adding once I've got it for sure. PSN should be B-Genius (gay little ninja avatar for confirmation).

Both on US psn store. Played on eu account.

If you have debit card it should work with fake us address(just don't use New York or other state with tax and don't forget the password like me...). Us store card verification isn't as restricted as others.

I grabbed the US PSN version but I live in the UK so would certainly be up for some EU/UK matches with anyone.

Feel free to add me (PSN ID: tobiasboon).

I normally play with Ken and Ryu (original I know) and occasionally Guile or Sagat for a change up. Would certainly like to get a few lag free matches in with some more local opposition. :)

Epcott

Wow...

Sucks that the only ones I can use are Ken and Ryu, haven't played in sooooo long.
I wonder where I can find a Saturn USB pad, using the sholder buttons is such a pain. Using L1 or L2, fughetaboudit!

eznark

Banned
Thanks for the help yesterday on the ps3 game sharing. Totally worked perfectly. Went over to my buddy's for Thanksgiving, downloaded the game, and by the end of the night even my fiance, who hates video games, was kicking ass with Dhalsim. It's dope anytime i can find a game to play with her, but holy shit I never thought she'd dig street fighter.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
eznark said:
Thanks for the help yesterday on the ps3 game sharing. Totally worked perfectly. Went over to my buddy's for Thanksgiving, downloaded the game, and by the end of the night even my fiance, who hates video games, was kicking ass with Dhalsim. It's dope anytime i can find a game to play with her, but holy shit I never thought she'd dig street fighter.

I hate the 'i have sex' kind of post... you are so cool you have a girlfriend.. big deal!
Just joking man :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GrayFoxPL said:
Yay!

Dentist? Arrrh!

You are planning to tiger him when he's done, are you? :D

"Eye of the tiger, tiger, tiger uppercut!"
:lol It went perfectly fine!

Alright guys, not many more minutes left till I start the game!

PREPARE YOURSELF, EU GAF!

Yoshichan

I'm ready to roll! Who wants to play?!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
PhatSaqs said:
I've played almost 300 ranked matches on the 360 and dont think ive run across any GAFers. Where yall at? :lol

In another time zone! Been too too too busy packing for a move to be able to play much. ;_;

Looking forward to being back in the States and getting back online with everyone!

Top Bottom