• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

N° 2048

This last page of comments was a little painful to read. Are most of you using light weapons? Because if you go heavy you can easily open with dash attack and then combo two more attacks, and that's with a set that doesn't have any impact bonus. I'm talking enemies like those
Cerberus
dudes, they just fold once you unload on them. This part is no different than Souls games, I remember getting my shit pushed in by the assholes in Iron Keep when I was playing with light weapons (katana etc), which is why I always default to heavy weapons in that game. DS3 was different, you could cheese the game with estoc and stunlock for days. Fortunately poise actually works in The Surge, both for you and the enemy, so you can mix and match your gear to fit your playstyle. Either you stagger the enemy and then combo them down or you put in some light damage between their attacks.

You also have access to duck/jump while blocking, personally I never use it but apparently it's great for opening enemies up to counters. When blocking press up (for jump) or down (for duck) on RS. Timing is a little iffy though because it's not an instant action so it's a little like parrying in Souls games.

100% agree, only a handful of times have I been killed by bullshit in The Surge, honestly 99% of the time it's my fault and I just adjust my gear accordingly and it becomes cake.

4th boss... just wow.

I'm wearing Gorgon armor and he is 1 shotting me with some of his swings. Do I just need more Hp implants or what? Jesus.

I hate to self promote but here's my video of my successful attempt but for those who want a text entry I'll put one below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CCSTdg-13w

So I used the Liquidator set (I felt more mobile in it compared to Rhino) and I had 9 V3 HP implants and I used my attack drone to shoot him while I was evading. Now the key is to avoid his swipes and hit him with a full force horizontal swing and aim for his head. Use the drone while you replenish your stamina. When the PAX come in, you just gotta avoid those damn swords and go for the legs, pummel the legs and get them down, this will happen 2 times hopefully (or you can try to get the PAX to shoot the white canisters but I was unsuccessful) to stop spawning PAX. Finish up the fight when he returns after the 2nd PAX, get to the button prompt and he is defeated.

*Splinter

Who thought it was a good idea to put enemies in the narrow tunnels?

Why is there a terminator at the top of this lift?

How am I supposed to see anything with this garbage fucking flashlight?

Where is this next fucking shortcut?

Was Rome built in a day??

N° 2048

Is it possible to get the Flamethrower or those grenade launchers enemies in Area 4 use? I've cut off 100s of arms with those weapons on them but they never drop.

cevion

So I restarted the game and managed to get (First area boss spoiler, and questions about area 1 post boss)
The Pax Imperator 2.0. It took me a few tries to hit his legs and make sure the boss didn't hit himself with rockets.

Now for my question, did anything unlock down in the tunnels after I killed Pax? I noticed I could unlock a nifty nice lift right by the first medbay, that takes me up to an enemy that drops Mk 2 weapon upgrade materials, but I haven't ventured back into the tunnels/darkness yet. Would you recommend me going to area 2, or keep scavenging in area 1. Thanks in advance, love the game! :3

I found a list of tips, lots of stuff I didn't know on reddit
Mostly mechanics, like how you can favorite weapons, do backstabs, block/dodge correctly etc. One thing I didn't know about is that if you time your combos right they well cost less stamina, indicated by your stamina flashing white when you hit. Might be helpful for some :] This game has some real depth to the combat!

edit: The link above might have some light spoilers about certain boss mechanics/boss names, just warning if anyone wants to do a play through completely blind!

I hate to self promote but here's my video of my successful attempt but for those who want a text entry I'll put one below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CCSTdg-13w

So I used the Liquidator set (I felt more mobile in it compared to Rhino) and I had 9 V3 HP implants and I used my attack drone to shoot him while I was evading. Now the key is to avoid his swipes and hit him with a full force horizontal swing and aim for his head. Use the drone while you replenish your stamina. When the PAX come in, you just gotta avoid those damn swords and go for the legs, pummel the legs and get them down, this will happen 2 times hopefully (or you can try to get the PAX to shoot the white canisters but I was unsuccessful) to stop spawning PAX. Finish up the fight when he returns after the 2nd PAX, get to the button prompt and he is defeated.

You're making it harder on yourself. When PAX comes out, stand behind him and work them legs. When he's ready to shoot, stand in front of the while column/machines and let it blast them. Then kill PAX. No more will come out after that.

Vic_Viper

Just watched the beginning of the GBEast stream for The Surge and it looks awesome, but I was wondering what the general opinion has been of the game on Gaf now that its been out for awhile. How is everyone liking it thats playing? Its a shame this game was released with almost no fanfare whatsoever.

Started the game yesterday and played a few hours. It seems pretty awesome so far! :)
I like the setting and love to cut off body parts with finishing moves. Fighting feels way better than in Lords of the Fallen.

It also runs with super smooth 60fps on the Pro. I checked out the high resolution mode with 30fps, which is also nice. The 30fps doesn't even feel too "bad" because it's super stable. Still choosed 60fps :)

They have done a good job with this one.
Damn fine Euro Jank.

bati

Aggression Amplifier v2 (20% health restored on finisher) really starts shining once you reach 400+ hit points. I cleared Executive Forum three times in a row, collected all nano cores and secrets doors and used maybe two health consumables total (which replenished in seconds because I was racking in tech scrap). If this thing stacks and you can get another one on NG+ then it's gonna be crazy.

This game really awards you for playing with your balls out, I fucking love it. Nothing like going full aggro mode on a bunch of endgame enemies and chaining kills like you're death incarnate.

My current setup:

MG Judge 2.0, full Black Cerberus Set

4x Vital Boost v5 (500hp at core level 99)
2x Vital Injection v5 (6 consumables total, 320hp each)
2x Ancillary Core XL (I plan to drop these once I can wear the armor without them)
1x Endurance Enhancer v5
1x Adrenaline Shunt v4 (slow-mo consumable)
1x Aggression Amp v2 (20% hit points restored on finisher)
1x Voltaic Dynamo v2 (30% more energy gain)
1x Voltain Dynamo v1 (20% more energy gain)
1x Pneumatic Calibrator v4 (25% less stamina consumption for evasive maneuvers)
1x Medical Audit (shows enemy health)

Not sure what I'll put in the last slot, maybe energy decay implant.

You're making it harder on yourself. When PAX comes out, stand behind him and work them legs. When he's ready to shoot, stand in front of the while column/machines and let it blast them. Then kill PAX. No more will come out after that.
I could get the timing down on when to move out of the way for him to shoot the columns. I kept dying, so I went full aggro and just had at it.

lionpants

Aggression Amplifier v2 (20% health restored on finisher) really starts shining once you reach 400+ hit points. I cleared Executive Forum three times in a row, collected all nano cores and secrets doors and used maybe two health consumables total (which replenished in seconds because I was racking in tech scrap). If this thing stacks and you can get another one on NG+ then it's gonna be crazy.

This game really awards you for playing with your balls out, I fucking love it. Nothing like going full aggro mode on a bunch of endgame enemies and chaining kills like you're death incarnate.

My current setup:

2x Ancillary Core XL (I plan to drop these once I can wear the armor without them)
1x Endurance Enhancer v5

How do you have so many implants?

pa22word

My current setup:

1x Endurance Enhancer v5

What in the unholy fuck?! Damn man that's super impressive, not even gonna lie that's a murderous build. I'm not even level 70 yet and I'm at the final boss and handidly whipped his ass before I tanked to run around a bit more before ng+

How are you that high? Did you just grind? Scrap boosting implants stacked?

lionpants

This sounds like someone who knows.

Saying the game is cheap is one thing.

Sayin ok I'm not playing it right is another
He's basically saying that some builds aren't viable. You're saying that isn't cheap?

When you're locked in with 14 prof twin rigs and you're late game and you find this shit out... it's insanely tedious to switch to a different setup.

This game is cheap in some poorly designed areas. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

N° 2048

He's basically saying that some builds aren't viable. You're saying that isn't cheap?

When you're locked in with 14 prof twin rigs and you're late game and you find this shit out... it's insanely tedious to switch to a different setup.

This game is cheap in some poorly designed areas. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

Proficiency doesn't make a huge difference, I'm in Area 4 and still use weapons with like 5 Proficiency and I can take everything out no problem.
It comes down to the level of the weapon, you'll need at least MK.III for Area 4 and some MK.III armor.

pa22word

Bitching about the game favoring certain sets and weapons in certain situations seems frankly idiotic when the game lets you carry and Hotswap an infinite number of weapons, and by design makes picking up new armor sets incredibly easy. As another poster said, proficiency isn't a big deal. It also levels logarithmically higher, so if you're at low level with a heavy grade weapon it'll level incredibly fast through the lower proficiencies if you start using it late game.

The game is intentionally designed to want you to run multiple weapons and run a variety of armor types. This isn't souls where you level a character up based on set stats you can't change without rerolling. All stats are tied to either implants or armor which you can change as you go painlessly.

Who thought it was a good idea to put enemies in the narrow tunnels?

Why is there a terminator at the top of this lift?

How am I supposed to see anything with this garbage fucking flashlight?

Where is this next fucking shortcut?

Was Rome built in a day??

1. Best thing about narrow tunnels is that they're in narrow tunnels as well. Parrry attacks and punish the fuck out of it.

2. Never had a problem with it?

3. Just parry him and delimb.

4. Right around the corner plus that area has a mini stop for injectible recharges

bati

How do you have so many implants?

Each rig upgrade unlocks 4 additional slots, there are 2 rig upgrades available.

What in the unholy fuck?! Damn man that's super impressive, not even gonna lie that's a murderous build. I'm not even level 70 yet and I'm at the final boss and handidly whipped his ass before I tanked to run around a bit more before ng+

How are you that high? Did you just grind? Scrap boosting implants stacked?

I cleared Executive Forum a few times because I reaaaaally wanted to equip the armor, lol. Before I started I was ~75 core level (after clearing entire EF). When I was grinding I had all Reclamation Buddies I could find, for a total of 90% bonus I think (40+20+20+10). These seem to be a flat bonus to your scrap multiplier because I was starting from medbay at 1.9x. Deconstructing all the Ancillary Core XL implants which I gathered when I was going for stuff that I've missed also really added up.

I killed those two guys (actually my son did) I rescued in the second zone (I didn't know you can kill them lol) are they needed for something?

*Splinter

Just got back to area 2, and the two guys in ops
are gone :( I guess I was supposed to find the medicine earlier? There was a dead body with a weapon outside, guess that's the consolation prize

*Splinter

I swapped to a staff in the fourth area, never really had a problem with the damage and by the time I finished it was at 12 proficiency anyway.

*Splinter

Will the "final boss" be obvious when I find it? I'm at the executive forum but only fought 3 bosses so far I think (unless the
bloodied terminator
counts?)

Seyfert

Maximum bonus that can go up is x3.9 (x3.0 with no implant)

Still not sure what count for multiplier to go up, seems random. try cutting part but still not that reliable.

more question about end game

1. Where can i farm tier 4 upgrade easily ?
2. How many core are there in first NG is it enough for upgrade just 1 set or 2 set ? because i like bot Black Cerberus and Gorgon. can't really decided lol

pa22word

So I was running around for shits and giggles, and people who want to do everything make sure to stop back by area 3 and hit up Dr. Chavez again after you
upload the virus
in area 6. She gives you an optional new objective to complete that I'm guessing has major ending implications. This is totally missable, so heads up.

Will the "final boss" be obvious when I find it? I'm at the executive forum but only fought 3 bosses so far I think (unless the
bloodied terminator
counts?)

Very obvious.

bati

So I was running around for shits and giggles, and people who want to do everything make sure to stop back by area 3 and hit up Dr. Chavez again after you
upload the virus
in area 6. She gives you an optional new objective to complete that I'm guessing has major ending implications. This is totally missable, so heads up.

Very obvious.

Nice, I'm clearing the final area atm (holy shit what a maze) so this was just in time. Question - what are those overcharge stations in the final area for? I'm relatively sure I found most (if not all) of them and I saw something happen in the middle of the area but now I'm getting some vague hints by the announcer on the PA (
something about being on final step

Level design is off the chain in this game, absolutely incredible.

ettoralk

Neo Member
upload the virus

Very obvious.

Can you please be more detailed? I did just what you said (going all the way back informing her of the new developments) and she told me something new yes but in the end she only gave me some more
encrypted data chip
and i now have several, honestly I don't know what to do with them, I was expecting some SERIOUS reward after that!!!

pa22word

Nice, I'm clearing the final area atm (holy shit what a maze) so this was just in time. Question - what are those overcharge stations in the final area for? I'm relatively sure I found most (if not all) of them and I saw something happen in the middle of the area but now I'm getting some vague hints by the announcer on the PA (
something about being on final step

Level design is off the chain in this game, absolutely incredible.

The overcharge stuff is flowing voltage into the
biomass
I think, if you ping all of them it opens all the
corrupted
looking blocked areas.

Can you please be more detailed? I did just what you said (going all the way back informing her of the new developments) and she told me something new yes but in the end she only gave me some more
encrypted data chip
and i now have several, honestly I don't know what to do with them, I was expecting some SERIOUS reward after that!!!

Well I don't know the endgame on it either, that's something we'll have to figure out :p

She said to plug it in somewhere I think in area 6 where some girl was,
but girl was dead (only reason I know is because I had the prompt to tell her before she even gave me the datachip :p),
but I *think* it's in the upper deck like area where the station controls are in the same room you uploaded the virus in. I'm cleaning up area 4 right now, so I'll head directly there and see what happens after work.

bati

The overcharge stuff is flowing voltage into the
biomass
I think, if you ping all of them it opens all the
corrupted
looking blocked areas.

Yup, found some weapon in one of the areas that opened by floor 1 medbay. Is the boss entrance also there? Because I also found a tunnel in one of the areas with Cerberus security and one of those tough chryssalids, where you upload the virus if I recall correctly. Do both lead to the same place?

pa22word

Yup, found some weapon in one of the areas that opened by floor 1 medbay. Is the boss entrance also there? Because I also found a tunnel in one of the areas with Cerberus security and one of those tough chryssalids, where you upload the virus if I recall correctly. Do both lead to the same place?

Yeah, they loop around. You know you're at the end when the game actually has a loading screen just for the final boss area, lol

*Splinter

So I found the missable exo suit upgrade, but couldn't find the mandatory one and ended up having to Google it -.-

Now I'm trying to make small talk with this guy in an elevator but he doesn't seem interested. I guess he's supposed to be attacking me right now?

Edit: attacked him and he still doesn't fight back. Lol?

N° 2048

Holy shit I think I missed Jo again when starting Area 4. Apparently (SPOILERS)
she tries to gas you in a room.
Got to check back tonight.

pa22word

Holy shit I think I missed Jo again when starting Area 4. Apparently (SPOILERS)
she tries to gas you in a room.
Got to check back tonight.

Yep! Make sure you beat Boss 4 before heading back there, because you need to clear a security door to get in there.

Get some rad swag for doing it too
cool.gif

bati

She said to plug it in somewhere I think in area 6 where some girl was,
but girl was dead (only reason I know is because I had the prompt to tell her before she even gave me the datachip :p),
but I *think* it's in the upper deck like area where the station controls are in the same room you uploaded the virus in. I'm cleaning up area 4 right now, so I'll head directly there and see what happens after work.

I checked there just now and there was nothing that I could interact with. I combed the entire final level again as much as I could remember where I've already been and haven't found anything. I think it's simply an oversight because I was able to collect another
necklace from Maddy
even though I have finished that quest before.

bati

And finished. What an incredible game, mechanically very solid, amazing atmosphere overall, pacing and length are just right. I think this will become a cult classic over time.

Rig upgrades?! Where?

First one is at the top of the circulation tower (after you return from the labs you can unlock them with the drone upgrade), the second one you can get after beating the fourth boss.

ng+ is... odd as hell?
obvious damage bumps, new enemies, new upgrade tiers. game gets rid of your nanothangs and you can upgrade straight to mk6, so might as well spend them if you have them. Also gets rid of your mystery coins.

Thing is... while enemies have been updated, and you'll find them using different weapons/armor... map pickups havent, nor have enemy drops. So you pick up the same crappy implants and insignificant minor scraps.

Kinda disappointing.

I finished the game with dual rigs, they're viable. I switched to them from one handed weapons halfway through the game, a weapon's upgrade level matters a lot more than proficiency. Sticking with light armor till the end of the game might be a bad idea, but you can just build a new armor set at any time.

I think people might be conditioned to stick to light/heavy "builds" from playing Souls games, and that kind of thinking can be unproductive in this game.

So what determines if you get 2.0 versions of boss weapons? I only managed to get a 2.0 weapon from the second boss and I have no idea what I did right.

bati

So what determines if you get 2.0 versions of boss weapons? I only managed to get a 2.0 weapon from the second boss and I have no idea what I did right.

First boss - don't let him get hit by his own rockets
Second boss - destroy all legs before you kill it
Third boss - don't kill any welders in phase two
Fourth boss - have the robot destroy both tanks in the arena and then cut off the boss' right arm
Final boss - has no 2.0 version but you get a different weapon depending on which arm you cut

bati

Thanks.
I'm guessing most people will cut off all the legs with the second boss because they're a pain in the ass if you don't.

You'd think so, but no. The one in the back is easy to miss if you're focused on killing the boss fast. Especially since the legs lose their targeting point when they start spinning so you can only lock on the to the weak point on the underside.

Top Bottom