• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

Spoo

Liked it up until this third area -- these
spider
enemies or whatever they are are a fucking nightmare. The place is called
resolve
labs, and I suspect that that name is an inside joke, because my patience is being tested. Their one shot leaps are a bit fucking much considering their already powerful moveset.

Seyfert

Just start the game, May I ask some stupid question?

I play on PS4 version and happened to download 2 free dlc from PSN and I have my preorder bonus, which PS01 rig but it seems to be replace with PS04 rig(free from PSN) and my PS01 rig(myPreorder bonus) is nowhere to be found. While the other preorder bonus item appear just fine.

I would like to know, there is anyway to change the rig (and possibly the list you have) later because I visit medbay and there is no option to do that.

I would like to know, there is anyway to change the rig later because I visit medbay and there is no option to do that.

I only found the second rig in the game which gave me more implant slots and a different look. I could change the look of the rig in the medbay.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Liked it up until this third area -- these
spider
enemies or whatever they are are a fucking nightmare. The place is called
resolve
labs, and I suspect that that name is an inside joke, because my patience is being tested. Their one shot leaps are a bit fucking much considering their already powerful moveset.

There is a way to disable them further along in the level. You're supposed to run from them at first

Seyfert

I only found the second rig in the game which gave me more implant slots and a different look. I could change the look of the rig in the medbay.

Can you change it while still keep your 1st rig ?

I also would like to know, this game srsly only 5.8 GB install file ??? that is unbelieveable small.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can you change it while still keep your 1st rig ?

I also would like to know, this game srsly only 5.8 GB install file ??? that is unbelieveable small.

I don't think you can switch back. But why would you? There is zero advantage to using an earlier rig, it has less slots for neuros in it.

deoee

Can we please talk about how short the load times are on PC?

It just loaded me into the level in 1 or 2 seconds :D

Adam Blue

I love the Souls series and Nioh. Didn't get far into Lords of the Fallen, but from the little I've played of the Surge, it's definitely got my attention. I'm taking my time so I don't miss anything important, because there are a lot of cool new ideas here.

I got it on PC, 1070, runs perfect, using Elite controller.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Huge Souls fan

Liked LotF but didn't love it

Trying to make less impulse purchases

Have a Pro and a 4K set

Take the plunge???

One of these guys from Digital Foundry called it the best Pro implementation yet. HDR isn't in yet but the devs said its coming in a patch.

Kinda lost in the first area. Haven't really found progress. Gone to multiple areas where it just ends up looping back to your first Med Bay.

DigtialT

Not sure if anyone else has discovered this, but quitting the game does not save it while exiting to main menu does. So if you don't get to your scrap in time just exit the game and you can try again.

charsace

Played 2 and a half hours and boy does the combat feel great. The combat speed and flow is in between Blood borne and Nioh.

For some reason this game feels like selecting gender should have been an option. Can't explain why I feel this is the case.

Karamsoul

Huge Souls fan

Have a Pro and a 4K set

Take the plunge???

I just hit it up this morning. Thought LotF was decent but combat in it sucked. Combat in The Surge is WAAAAY better and more responsive/impactful. Really liking it.

Edit: for reference, I'm a huge Soulsborne fan. Have played all the games multiple times over since Demon's Souls. Combat loop in The Surge is very fun and the levels so far seem to be intricate.

Think I've gone through all of the above ground areas in the first place
(except one guarded by a really angry bulldozer or whatever...lol)

I know there's an underground area but haven't gone through that yet...will do that on my next little play session

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, thank god one of my friends bought the game and i've played it for 2,5 hours through Steam Family Sharing.

Firstly, i'd like to apologize before Deck13 guys. Yes, even though combat looked the same to me on multiple videos, but it's actually way different and much better than in Lords of the Fallen. Great job guys, you've clearly learned the lesson here. I just wish that saw like weapons worked like on Warhammer 40K: Space Marine from Relic - in this game you've feeled every hit and every limb which you've cutted (not to mention the sound of the saw-sword) but here.... it's sort of works that way only during combat finishing moves. I'm just saying that all of this could've made weapons like this a hell of a lot more satisfying to use.

And secondly, i just overall really liked what i've played. This game is way better than Lords of The Fallen at least in terms of combat system, can't say about everything esle though cuz i've played very little and i won't be playing more till I buy the game for my personal account but not for the full price, i'm sorry.

it's fun figuring out combos with the different weapon styles...I like the Twin Rigged weapon you get but it's really low on damage so using it would take a lot of patience (looks cool though)

Are the pre order bonuses anything essential?

They usually start off good but are eventually outclassed by endgame items

they aren't really necessary...

the Rig just lets you switch between Yellow and Black coloring and you'll eventually get a better rig at some point

the injectable that gives you an attack bonus could be ok (haven't used it but going by the stats of it it's not that large of a boost)

the one that detects nearby secrets is useful but it has a really annoying way it detects stuff (low noise that gets progressively louder as you get close...lot of people are put off by it)

Seyfert

OK. After playing around with this a while.

This game is clearly hardest souls type game i ever play. much harder than i anticipated. I don't like the way everything can easily kill you by design, i prefer soulsborne mechanic more.

I still try to fine tune myself to ready for further MUCH MORE challenge but still figure way out how to play with my toon nicely. It will be a while until i get used to it.

The game mechanic is a bit bother me because i still don't know what or how to get it work best, vertical/horizontal attack , weird dodge move timing.

I can say it's frustrated me and need to take some break after 1st boss kick my ass. : P

Wow I love the setting, and the sound effects of hitting metal enemies with a metal club melee weapon makes it feel like a completely different game than the fantasy based games that are similar. Like how fast and far the regular dodge is (Picked fast/light class). Also like how colorful it is.

Between this and Prey great time for playing scifi futuristic settings, still have to play through Mass Effect Andromeda too.

Production values seem a nice step up from Lord of the Fallen too.

TheKeyPit

Banned
:-o
Start of the game:
"Look around". All I did was look up, left and right so I have no clue if I could've moved the camera to look at character from the front. "Get out" What a surprise for the character to be in a wheelchair.
Combat is much better than in LotF.

+I like the setting, too.

It feel like 30 hours for me but I just look into my save file and it said 79 hours. Also, I'll give this game 9/10.

GfxAJ62.jpg

That's great. I really didn't have any motivation before this comment. I'll play it one day.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Glad to see the game is getting a pretty positive reception and people are enjoying the combat and such. Glad to see a developer constantly improving with every game and of course, more good games for me to play!

:-o
Start of the game:
"Look around". All I did was look up, left and right so I have no clue if I could've moved the camera to look at character from the front. "Get out" What a surprise for the character to be in a wheelchair.
Combat is much better than in LotF.

+I like the setting, too.

Yeah it really feels like something different right from the start. Presumably you can go back and go up the stairs or use other doors.

Between this and prey, its a great time for scifi ARPG fans like myself. Makes a nice change hitting metallic robots with the cool sound effects, and the vibrant colors and scifi/future eartch like setting makes a very nice change after so many fantasy based RPG's.

Miss having manual save slots though, its all automatic it seems...

Prima games posted this about the rig choices - glad I picked light due to the fast and long range dodges

When using the Lynx gear, movements like dodging, sprinting, and jumping take far less Stamina to pull off. So, if you enjoy dodging enemy attacks and being able to move around quickly, then the Lynx Exo-Rig could be the best fit for your playstyle.

If you enjoy a bulkier style of play, then the Rhino Exo-Rig is going to be your best bet. While it does move a bit slower, it’s still perfectly adequate in all combat situations. You will need to rely on your blocking a little bit more, and dodging and sprinting will cost you far more Stamina to pull off. But, the Rhino does come with the guarantee of stronger attacks, which is something that can definitely pay off when you’re in battle against several enemies.

Movement speed, attack power, and stamina usage are the biggest differences that we’ve noticed in our testing of the two Exo-Rigs. Unfortunately, we haven’t managed to find any actual stats information about the two, so these seem to be the only things that really matter when it comes to your decision on which rig you want to take.

Can anyone who completed the game answer if this is true or not?

I read on a Steam review that the game only has 5 bosses. Is this correct?

phant0m

Huge Souls fan

Have a Pro and a 4K set

Take the plunge???

Yes, if you can get some kind of discount. Not really worth $60 IMO, but PC price was right at $45. GCU or Prime should put you at about the same price.

Can anyone who completed the game answer if this is true or not?

I read on a Steam review that the game only has 5 bosses. Is this correct?

Haven't beaten it yet, but probably. The game isn't focused on them much, more about exploration and dealing with more complex "regular" enemies.

How is the level design in the game?

Good, if a little repetitive texture/environment wise. Decent use of verticality too. It's no Bloodborne, but it's much better than LotF

Wondering if the game used to have a repair mechanic. One of the loading tips mention repairs but Ive seen no way of ever doing so.

OK. After playing around with this a while.

This game is clearly hardest souls type game i ever play. much harder than i anticipated. I don't like the way everything can easily kill you by design, i prefer soulsborne mechanic more.

I still try to fine tune myself to ready for further MUCH MORE challenge but still figure way out how to play with my toon nicely. It will be a while until i get used to it.

The game mechanic is a bit bother me because i still don't know what or how to get it work best, vertical/horizontal attack , weird dodge move timing.

I can say it's frustrated me and need to take some break after 1st boss kick my ass. : P

that's due to the near-instant healing and hp regain mechanics. Since you later get implants to recover health on finishers AND also via energy expenditure, the game assumes that you'll always be at or close to max health.

Obv if you're being one-shotted, that's either just because the game is being a fucking dick with early optional enemies or because you're underleveled/need to use hp+ implants.

Prima games posted this about the rig choices - glad I picked light due to the fast and long range dodges
kinda odd that they mention that since the stats are shown per gear piece when you go to equip them, plus there's an additional stats tab.

Lynx is -20% stam running cost and -10% dodge cost, iirc. Also +4% armored dmg and -4% unarmored dmg
Rhino is +10% for both, if memory serves, and -4% armored, +4% unarmored. Also higher "poise" and defenses.

Top Bottom