• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

I ended up caving and ordering the other day. I've seen enough to feel ok about buying it on Pro at least. If I don't like it, easy to just sell it.

Donos

Definitively interested. Perhaps not at full price but still.

What is the world explanation for no guns in the game? A lot of "tech" seems rather advanced so i'm interested how they spin it.

SZips

I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised by the game and the reception to it. I've quite enjoyed my time spent with it so far.

Definitively interested. Perhaps not at full price but still.

What is the world explanation for no guns in the game? A lot of "tech" seems rather advanced so i'm interested how they spin it.

There are "guns" in the game. Flamethrowers and rocket launchers as well. The guns are more like laser guns though and they're used more as support both by your character (via your drone) and by the enemies.

Just found the most coolest armor in this game so far. xD
The IRONMAUS Gear Set. It's also using ZERO core power consumption point.

Gear Set Bonus: Wearing a full set of IRONMAUS gear causes your drone's Anti-Kinetic Shield to also greatly increase your stability.

L5qF1uz.png

TokiDoki

This might sound salting on the game , but one of the biggest attraction of Souls game is amazing creatures/enemies design , but Surge has none of it so I don't know why it's being labelled as Souls-like .

MrS

Banned
Great OT more_badass, and great idea for the name whomever came up with it.

I'm another on the fence with this. I'll be keeping abreast of the thread and if it's a must play, I'll pick it up in no time. The game definitely has my interest at this point. Hope it turns out great.

nOoblet16

I am really curious about that pc version! Also, this game looks great. ENjoy people!
Here's what the Dev posted when I asked him about differences between PS Pro and PC.

We still use APEX (as well as PhysX) as physics middleware, but this time no more APEX turbulence (the CUDA-only particle system which is PC-/NV-only). APEX cloth and destruction are CPU based simulations and therefore cross-platform compatible. Since LotF we developed our own GPU particle system which is 100% cross-platform.

PS Pro has two modes to choose: "performance" (1080p, 60 FPS) and "quality" (2880x1620, 30 FPS). Me personally would go for 60 FPS because this really pays off in an action game.

Also, SSR is disabled at the moment, mainly to provide stable, v-synced 60 FPS without other visual compromises.

On PC, you also have some advanced quality options to get higher texture & shadowmap resolutions or higher volumetric lighting quality (buffer resolution).

SomTervo

This might sound salting on the game , but one of the biggest attraction of Souls game is amazing creatures/enemies design , but Surge has none of it so I don't know why it's being labelled as Souls-like .
I think the combat structure, game design and level design is what defines Souls.

Theorry

Because its the same genre really. Not a fan of it also with the comparison. But awell it is what it is.

is the game mostly dark industrial environments? That has been the most off putting thing about the game to me, so far. It's nice to see that there are at least a couple different environments according to the pictures in the OP

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Because to the vast majority, "Souls-like" (or potentially even "Souls" outright) means:
1. a roll/dodge with I-frames
2. stamina management
3. weighty combat
4. bonfire/bloodstain death system

That's why it's being labelled, regardless of whether or not you think The Surge (or any other game in the emerging sub-genre) does these things well.

I think the combat structure, game design and level design is what defines Souls.

While the combat structure and level design (do you mean interconnected layout rather than design?) hold similarities, I think the "game design" of The Surge, and that of Dark Souls/Bloodborne are fundamentally different.

FWIW, I personally don't mind the growing trend of "Souls-like" if it helps to define something on a casual/superficial level, but I do think games players and journalists alike owe it to themselves and their peers to choose their words a bit more carefully, and judge something on its own terms/merits, rather than immediately defaulting to comparisons.

Someone mentioned above that ranged weapons exist but are shields a thing or is avoiding damage done solely by dodging?
Only watched a small amount of video content on the game and haven't noticed any shields yet.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Already played like 12 hours and i really like this game.
Never got into Lords of the Fallen by the way.

I really disliked Lords, in fact I gave it a 5/10 which is the lowest score I've ever given a game so I've remained very skeptical of The Surge, even if it does look interesting. I ended up buying Prey instead so I need to refill the gaming coffer before thinking about getting my next game but it's nice to hear that people who disked Lords are enjoying The Surge, that means there's hope for me too.

NEW GAME+ information from the official pages on Facebook.

Prepare For a Challenge

After first completing The Surge, you’ll open up an option called New Game+. This new mode lets you play through the full game again, with a twist. In New Game+, you’ll face far tougher enemies than your first time playing, starting from the very first area! Although you start with full access to all equipment gained from previous runs, enemies will hit harder and be more heavily armored. New Game+ doesn’t only feature scaled up versions of the same enemy placements seen in the normal game - you’ll also have to watch out for new placements of tougher foes. Not only that, but we’ve hidden some extra secrets that only the keenest-eyed players will spot!

Risk and Reward

With the extra challenge offered by New Game+, you’re going to have a rough time surviving the CREO complex. Fortunately, you do have ways of tanking up and dishing out additional damage. During your first playthrough of The Surge, you’re able to upgrade your equipment to higher tiers, such as Mk. II, Mk. III, etc. You do this by cutting off the relevant equipment directly from your enemies and using the resulting scrap to craft with. New Game+ allows you to upgrade even higher tiers of equipment, raising the cap enforced in the standard game. And it doesn’t end there...

How Many Plusses?

The challenge isn’t over upon completion of your first New Game+ play through - each time you complete the game, you’ll unlock the next tier of New Game+. The New Game+ tiers can theoretically go on forever, with enemies that scale indefinitely. However, new equipment tiers stop being unlocked at New Game+++ (up to Mk. XX), so it’ll be extremely tough (if not impossible) pass a certain point!

Someone mentioned above that ranged weapons exist but are shields a thing or is avoiding damage done solely by dodging?
Only watched a small amount of video content on the game and haven't noticed any shields yet.

Guess he/she was talking about a drone? There're only a few drone that I found so far.
Ranged attack, melee attack, area slowdown and protective shield drone.

Is there a parry move? It would be a shame if there wasn't.

Yes.

Guess he/she was talking about a drone? There're only a few drone that I found so far.
Ranged attack, melee attack, area slowdown and protective shield drone.

The protective shield drone is the closest thing to a shield you'd hold in your hand then? I like running tanky sword and board characters.

bennibop

Also caved and have ordered (£36 on ShopTo) just was not getting on with Prey (plus pissed off no PS4 Pro benefits even though advertised it has.) Rather a smaller developer has my cash.

Jobbs

Banned
I would try it if it had a character editor. Playing as pre defined mr. Video game hero doesn't interest me.

The issue is that people throw around this nebulous "soulslike" term without really considering the consequences.

It's nice that people feel like From have created/revitalised a sub-genre, but we need to remember that it'll mean different things to different people. Superficially, "soulslike" may generally be used to reference things like stamina management, weighted attack motions that need to be committed to/compensated for, and lite permadeath elements (effectively an offshoot of "Action RPG").

But many would still rather associate Souls with things like world building, enemy/boss variety, subtle design/choreography, etc. which naturally creates a rift in expectations. It makes sense to ask things like Strings did, because for some that's where the true appeal lies.
While the combat structure and level design (do you mean interconnected layout rather than design?) hold similarities, I think the "game design" of The Surge, and that of Dark Souls/Bloodborne are fundamentally different.

FWIW, I personally don't mind the growing trend of "Souls-like" if it helps to define something on a casual/superficial level, but I do think games players and journalists alike owe it to themselves and their peers to choose their words a bit more carefully, and judge something on its own terms/merits, rather than immediately defaulting to comparisons.
Well Rogue, NetHack, Bionic Dues, Cogmind, Caves of Qud, Dwarf Fortress, etc. are all roguelikes, even though they all have different themes, different focuses, and whatnot, since they share similar mechanical and structural elements

If Soulslike is an emerging thing, I'd imagine the overall umbrella to be similarly broad, so a distinction of a lot of bosses versus not many bosses wouldn't be some major variance that would disqualify something from being within the subgenre. Just like some may prefer roguelikes with massive layered histories and complex simulated worlds like DF and Qud while others may prefer the tight dungeon focus and numbers game/combat puzzle-esque nature of Desktop Dungeons and similar games.

Still those are all roguelikes

So ideally a Soulslike subgenre would be similarly broad, revolving around a shared mechanical design while leaving the themes and open for devs to explore, experimen with, and expand upon (ie the story, settings, level of world building, atmosphere, etc. stuff)

Donos

The issue is that people throw around this nebulous "soulslike" term without really considering the consequences.

It's nice that people feel like From have created/revitalised a sub-genre, but we need to remember that it'll mean different things to different people. Superficially, "soulslike" may generally be used to reference things like stamina management, weighted attack motions that need to be committed to/compensated for, and lite permadeath elements (effectively an offshoot of "Action RPG").
^ Yeah, in my opinion that's what most refer to when they mean/say soulslike.
But many would still rather associate Souls with things like world building, enemy/boss variety, subtle design/choreography, etc. which naturally creates a rift in expectations. It makes sense to ask things like Strings did, because for some that's where the true appeal lies.
and not that so much.

There are "guns" in the game. Flamethrowers and rocket launchers as well. The guns are more like laser guns though and they're used more as support both by your character (via your drone) and by the enemies.

Okay but do they explain why e.g. everybody doesn't use rocket launchers, because if i had to choose between blasting someone away from 100 meters or getting close to someone who wields some huge pointy pike at me, i would choose the first.
Just interested, don't want to criticise that, just curious if theres an explanation or "because it's like that".

lcap

Great OT!

Now I play the waiting game with brazilian distributors, which haven't even delivered my Prey order yet.

AdamT

This is a hard game to pass on until it's cheaper, but here's my reasoning that many may disagree on:

I love the character customization of souls games. Even being able to choose a race wouldve been fine. I get you're trying to tell a story, but it instantly turns me off. Same problem I had with Lords of the Fallen and Technomancer. Just another dude in the fray. However, like LOTF, this is a Souls-like where customization choices matters to me. If I wanted a character driven story, I'd play Uncharted or Tomb Raider. I admire them focusing on a single person's journey, just not in the genre. I assume this was budgetary as well(VO, art assets, scripting etc), so I get it to some degree.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Okay but do they explain why e.g. everybody doesn't use rocket launchers, because if i had to choose between blasting someone away from 100 meters or getting close to someone who wields some huge pointy pike at me, i would choose the first.
Just interested, don't want to criticise that, just curious if theres an explanation or "because it's like that".

They're construction workers and the like in what looks like some giant factory facility. They're not soldiers on a military base with easy access to fire arms.

Man, I'm really struggling in the beginning section after getting the armour, walking in circles and dying. Is there somewhere I should be going? Underground?

Is the difficulty manageable? Pretty easy to grasp the upgrade/power usage system?

If you played and finished any Dark Souls game before you should be ok.
It starts out quite easy and gets a huge difficulty spike later on.
At least that's how i felt it with my character build.
The upgrade system is easy to understand at offers lots of versatility.

Donos

They're construction workers and the like in what looks like some giant factory facility. They're not soldiers on a military base with easy access to fire arms.

Ah, nice. Thanks. Haven't looked into the story yet so that clears things up.

Zutrax

Anyone have word how long the game is? Wondering if I should knock this out before playing Injustice 2 or if I should hold off a bit since they come out on the same day. Not sure I'm in the mood for another 30+ hour trek after being bombarded by Zelda, Horizon, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, and Nioh all at the same time.

Corpekata

Banned
Anyone have word how long the game is? Wondering if I should knock this out before playing Injustice 2 or if I should hold off a bit since they come out on the same day. Not sure I'm in the mood for another 30+ hour trek after being bombarded by Zelda, Horizon, Person 5, Yakuza 0, and Nioh all at the same time.

Think some have said in the 20-25 hourish range.

Anyone have word how long the game is? Wondering if I should knock this out before playing Injustice 2 or if I should hold off a bit since they come out on the same day. Not sure I'm in the mood for another 30+ hour trek after being bombarded by Zelda, Horizon, Person 5, Yakuza 0, and Nioh all at the same time.

I think in the other Surge topic one of the devs said it should be 20-25 hours for a relatively straight run without doing a lot of side activities.

Adam Blue

I would try it if it had a character editor. Playing as pre defined mr. Video game hero doesn't interest me.

I don't want to spoil anything, but I accidentally saw something that makes this character unique compared to nearly all video game heroes. Once I saw it I cut out watching any more previews.

Its sort of like dead space as most of the armors and weapons are re purposed "everyday" tools

That's not the only thing that's similar to Dead Space. The story just goes off the rails and shit gets really twisted and reminded me a lot of Dead Space. Being a huge Souls fan, the story in The Surge kills anything from Dark Souls.

looks cool, but the enemies dont have health bars?

They do, but you have to have an implant to see it.

Top Bottom