• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch sells out in minutes in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
link

Cheesemeister on Twitter also spotted 130+ people queued up at Yodobashi Kyoto.

Did gaf misjudge Japan's taste? Or was it always obviously going to be big in Japan anyway? Is it that some of the harsh response from places like Gaf is due to the fact that Nintendo is a Japan first country whereas Sony is more globalised as a company?

15876896_151819495316173_742820576732643328_n.jpg

source

edit:

Some conflicting reports:
Oh god someone actually made a thread about this article....

I am very curious how NextGenGaming got this information. I doubt they have someone in Japan or someone speaking Japanese in their team. They don't mention any news source at all.

(Citation needed)

I seriously doubt there were lots of people waiting outside all night because it's too freaking cold, and secondly, what store? How big was the stock allocation? How do they know it was gone within 15 minutes and people couldn't get a pre-order? This article is sketching some insane scenarios.

Now, if I go on twitter right now and search for Switch 予約 I still see multiple tweets popping up every minute of people saying they pre-ordered the Switch just fine. And for example this one: "Pre-ordered Switch at Geo. It was gone within seconds online, but seems to be still readily available at brick and mortar stores", or "Pre-ordered Switch, it was easier than I thought!", "Managed to pre-order Switch online normally at Yodabashi", "Seems like Switch is still readily available at retail" and lots more.

Going by my own (anecdotal) experience: I thought it was gonna be pretty bad because Geo only got like 20 units per store (10 of each color). I was there at 7 AM with a friend and the store would open at 10 AM. In those three hours, a total of 7 people lined up. After we got it, they just put the pre-order slips on a table in the store so people can just walk in and pre-order it. This was in Mitaka, Tokyo.

Yes, the Switch was gone in seconds at amazon but that seems to be always be the case. I hear it's still available to pre-order at Yodabashi, just the site seems to be broken.

Tldr: This article is highly speculative and probably based on nothing but a few tweets about the line at Yodobashi Akiba. I'm sure they're glad their clickbait story worked and someone linked it here, though! Of course pre-orders will sell out, but that doesn't say anything. In reality, I see more Japanese people being surprised there isn't more demand for the Switch instead of the opposite, as is implied in this story.

I'll update the OP with better sources as I'm able

shingi70

Banned
Shit was always going to be big in Japan. Gaf just looks at everything from the western PS4 centric view of things.

Kouriozan

Fabricated shortage!

I actually think it's not gonna sell that much before Mario Kart and Splatoon, wait and see.

tsumineko

That article isn't quite correct, stores still have Switch preorders, just the big stores have sold out. Local and smaller stores have orders available.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
"Many gamers in Japan have been left without a pre-order for a launch day Nintendo Switch, which has caused the reselling market in Japan to explode with resellers in Japan already selling the console on Amazon for double the price of the retail price."

mieumieu

My opinions from another thread

I would regard 40 million in 4 years as in line with my expectations and it is still a bit low.
But that's probably because I view the Switch as a portable first and foremost, unlike Nintendo PR and most people here (I assume in the US too?).

People on GAF has a very much skewed opinion on the industry.

Portables in Asia and Japan (and part of Europe maybe?) is still big and can go big.

Hopefully I can get one during launch month...

http://thisgengaming.com/2017/01/21...line-in-store-pre-orders-sold-out-in-minutes/

Did gaf misjudge Japan's taste? Or was it always obviously going to be big in Japan anyway? Is it that some of the harsh response from places like Gaf is due to the fact that Nintendo is a Japan first country whereas Sony is more globalised as a company?

The second one. The Switch will have a good time in Japan, given the market love of the 3DS, Vita, and certain titles (Splatoon).

This is initial shipment though, which is small given the 2 million number from Nintendo.

Neoxon

The concept of the Switch was gonna appeal to the Japanese, & that's on top of Splatoon. Anyone on the fence in Japan will be brought over later if Pokémon Stars is indeed happening.

Coda

Nintendo consoles almost always sell out on day 1, it's all about the sales in the following months which I can tell you is not gonna be good with the release schedule they have currently.

phanphare

Banned
dat Splatoon 2 effect

I don't think many people realize how much of a thing Splatoon is over in Japan, and now it's on a portable device instead of the Wii U

Ōkami

Wouldn't be surprised if the people from this nobody website got to that conclusion just from reading tweets "Akihabara is filled with Nintendo fans!" "The Yodobashi website is really slow!" and thought it meant preorders sold out.

Of course the big stores are filled with nerds but preorders are still readily available, particularly on smaller retailers, you might not even need to make a line to get one.

Nintendo consoles almost always sell out on day 1, it's all about the sales in the following months which I can tell you is not gonna be good with the release schedule they have currently.

Ever heart of splatoon in Japan?
Monster hunter before the end of the year. Bank on it.

Ponn

Banned
The whole initial shipment is going to sell out. Not sure why this is news or surprising.

This right here, but also the Switch seems like it was designed with Japanese gaming taste changing to a more portable inclination. I feel Switch will surprise people in sales but I feel more strongly it will be a big hit in Japan.

Kimawolf

They'd be in trouble if it couldn't sell out day 1, haha. We need to wait for the holidays to have any kind of certainty.

I'd say we'd know sooner. If it stays sold out throughout April/may/june/july etc then its a certified hit. If it slows down but picks back up at the holidays, then we need to wait for year end numbers.

But either way this bodes well.

Switch is a Japanese device first and foremost.

It's going to have literally every relevant franchise on the thing. I still don't see it breaking 20million but it'll do very well there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom