• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch sells out in minutes in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator86

Ōkami;228788673 said:
You should've listened to how the people in the other thread said this wasn't a thread worth making.

It's not. Nintendo is going to sell every unit they make at launch. This is news to literally no one and means nothing.

WadeitOut

link

Cheesemeister on Twitter also spotted 130+ people queued up at Yodobashi Kyoto.

Did gaf misjudge Japan's taste? Or was it always obviously going to be big in Japan anyway? Is it that some of the harsh response from places like Gaf is due to the fact that Nintendo is a Japan first country whereas Sony is more globalised as a company?

Selling out initially was going to happen everywhere regardless. That's not going to indicate success.

Effect

Nice. Better this things sells the more games it gets. I want Nintendo to feel confident to give us more big games like BoTW, Xenoblade 2, etc. It doing well in Japan at launch means the next Monster Hunter comes sooner and on the Switch, Square will make sure Dragon Quest XI Switch is a good version, and maybe focuses on the Switch with more games. That means it sells even better and get that Switch only Pokemon game sooner rather then later and then the system explodes.

Maxinas

They'd be in trouble if it couldn't sell out day 1, haha. We need to wait for the holidays to have any kind of certainty of how it'll do.

At least in Japan, the moment Splatoon 2 is open for preorders, we'll get a good sense of how the Switch will fare there.

New Nintendo handheld product sells out in Japan... so weird /s.

When you have had multiple people over the course of 8 days since the presentation state that the Switch being sold as a home console denies it from being considered a handheld, well...yeah.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
3 people including me were lined up in front of my local store (I came 20 min early and was second). The chain only had 10-20 units per store though.

guek

Banned
How does this show momentum though? It's the initial shipment and Wii U sold through as well. We should probably wait until the holiday season before making judgments.

You think I was mashing F5 to post common sense? Lol

No, dude, momentum literally has to start somewhere. It's worth recognizing what level a console or device start at. You act like this is simultaneously the absolute bare minimum and maximum interest possible, but that's not really true. It could be worse, it could be better too.

Roo

Well, with Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Dragon Quest, etc all in a single machine, the Japanese market is going to have the time or their lives with the Switch.

Porcile

I'm a line right now, got here late too, so if I can get one then safe to say it's not completely sold out in the majority of places ... Online isn't worth the trouble.

Of course. And the sky is blue. If Switch didn't sell out in Japan then it's DOA everywhere else. So of course it's going to sell out the preorders in a place like Japan. Any one doubting it is just silly as fuck. Even Vita is alive in Japan. The worry is rest of the world.

Hell, it's going to be sold out everywhere else in the world for the first few months. So yes, as expected. Now bring the games, Nintendo. Bring the 3DS compatibility for extra damage.

I woke up at 10:00, went to by local yodobashi and preordered without any problems. I will go in the evening to see if it sells out.

No, dude, momentum literally has to start somewhere. It's worth recognizing what level a console or device start at. You act like this is simultaneously the absolute bare minimum and maximum interest possible, but that's not really true. It could be worse, it could be better too.

What are you talking about though? This does not indicate momentum, it shows that Nintendo fans are willing to buy Nintendo products. That's why I said we should wait until the holiday season when people who don't browse video game forums decide whether or not to purchase one. Switch was always going to sell out in Japan, US, and parts of Europe. Remember when Wii U sold out initial shipments? Remember when nobody bought one after? Not saying that is a forgone conclusion with Switch, just telling you this isn't a surprise in the slightest nor does it indicate anything.

Ōkami

The Vita sold out in minutes.

Switch is expected to sell as much as the Vita on launch in Japan.

Which is the same ball park for PS4, 3DS and even the Wii U.

There really is absolutely nothing remotely surprising about this at all.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I hope the Switch does amazingly in Japan so all the weird Japanese stuff gets made for it and I can get my hands on it now that it's region free. I'm hoping that's not too outlandish a thing to say, it's just that I'm still over the moon about a Nintendo console that's region free.

Vinnk

That article isn't quite correct, stores still have Switch preorders, just the big stores have sold out. Local and smaller stores have orders available.

Really? Can you get me a link? My brother couldn't get one. All the stores in my smallish town (80,000) are all sold out and I tried on-line at Yamada Denki, Suruga, and a few others. I got mine from Amazon.co.jp, but those went fast.

Splatoon tore up the Japanese sales charts.

Was there a home console game more successful than it in Japan?

Now the sequel is coming on a handheld. Of course it'll do well.

EDarkness

Nice. Better this things sells the more games it gets. I want Nintendo to feel confident to give us more big games like BoTW, Xenoblade 2, etc. It doing well in Japan at launch means the next Monster Hunter comes sooner and on the Switch, Square will make sure Dragon Quest XI Switch is a good version, and maybe focuses on the Switch with more games. That means it sells even better and get that Switch only Pokemon game sooner rather then later and then the system explodes.

I hope the same thing, though, I want FFXV for the NS, so I hope it happens. More than that, I just want more JRPGs to be released. If 3DS RPG projects move over to the NS, that would be sweet.

I hope the Switch does amazingly in Japan so all the weird Japanese stuff gets made for it and I can get my hands on it now that it's region free. I'm hoping that's not too outlandish a thing to say, it's just that I'm still over the moon about a Nintendo console that's region free.

Absolutely. This just makes me hope for the best, that the device does well and we get awesome titles with third party confident to put ambitious stuff out there oppose to leaving for mobile.

I'm still shocked people have had to argue the legitimacy of this being a handheld and a smash hit. Hopefully we see a resurgence of Japanese game development and they reach the heights of the ps2 era: this would benefit the medium on the whole.

The switch will do well. Releases such as Pokémon, SMT, Fire emblem, Monster Hunter etc will drive sales greatly.

The true test is definitely the western market. I believe we'll have a good idea of how western 3rd party Devs feel towards this console come e3. I'd love a ZombiU sequel (will never fucking happen unfortunately) etc.

chrono01

I always thought this thing would be a hit in Japan. Portability is a big thing there and, while the battery life on the Switch isn't the best, it's still better than a designated home console. I'm interested in hearing just how many pre-orders were available, but I'm guessing it was a decent amount.

I still have my NA pre-order. I keep going back-and-forth over whether I should keep it, but considering the console likely won't receive a price-drop for a while, and the fact that there are a couple games being released this year on it that I absolutely need to play (Mario Odyssey being one of them), I'll probably just go ahead with my purchase. I know bundles will likely become a thing once it hits the holiday season, but I don't mind adopting this thing earlier, especially if it means getting the best experience I can out of Breath of the Wild.

Vinnk

Doesnt mean much, it was always going to sell lots initially. Wii U also performed strongly

This is true. WiiU preorders sold out. But it took days. The only one that sold out instantly for the WiiU was the Monster Hunter Bundle. The one I wanted ;(

I honestly feel the same way and hope it does well for that reason alone.

tsumineko

Really? Can you get me a link? My brother couldn't get one. All the stores in my smallish town (80,000) are all sold out and I tried on-line at Yamada Denki, Suruga, and a few others. I got mine from Amazon.co.jp, but those went fast.

A link to what? I'm talking about local stores. It's a shame your local stores are sold out, but mine aren't yet. I also got my order on Amazon too.

Maxim726X

Yeah? The Wii U also sold out. In both Japan and NA.

How did that work out?

Gotta give this console a little time to breathe before proclaiming it's success or early demise.

Apathy

Nintendo is shipping the same number of Switch Consoles than Sony shipped PS4's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEmO33srNk&feature=youtu.be

Artificial Scarcity from Sony?

The last time i checked, nintendo said they were shipping 2 million through the end of the month. sony sold 2.1 million in 16 days. It doesn't mean that was it for what they shipped, in fact they shipped way more. Being impossible to find in your area isn't the same as completely sold out/artificial scarcity.

No nintendo is not artificially limiting the switch, but people might assume that if in the month they go through all 2 mil units and people literally can't find one because there aren't any in that month.

RiamuBME

I went to my local ゲオ at 11am this morning.
Managed to get a Switch and Zelda Collectors Editon without any issue at all. Also no money up-front which was great too.

The Boat

That article isn't quite correct, stores still have Switch preorders, just the big stores have sold out. Local and smaller stores have orders available.

This is pretty much the case for any game or console that "sells out", you can still find them at some smaller stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom