• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch sells out in minutes in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSFan

Didn't the 3DS preorders sell out fast there too? But then like a week after launch, retailers were overrun with returned units and had tons of used ones selling cheap?

zoukka

Not surprised at all. The issues we fight over in GAF don't really concern the casual buyer. As a concept of a console hybrid the Switch is a very cool and desireable product.

watershed

Banned
Neogaf poll put it at GC level with better than wiiu in second place
That would mean around 20 millions LTD

There's a poll?!

I think the Switch will top 20 on the strength of being the only Nintendo hardware on the market after the 3ds retires. There will only be 1 thing you can buy that plays all Nintendo games aside from their mobile stuff. That's got be pretty compelling to 20 million people.

i wasn't sure why people were so damn sure the wii u was going to replicate the wii. it seemed like the writing was on the wall it would at least start off worse than the ps3.

by that same token, i don't know why people are so damn sure the switch is going to replicate the wii u. sometimes it feels like people really think that everything is locked into a linear pattern when reality doesn't reflect that.

I haven't seen many saying the switch will replicate Wii U's numbers. Most have it between Gamecube and N64's.

If there's anything at this stage that you can say with any degree of certainity about the Switch sales performance is that it would put substantially larger numbers than the Wii U. Not even worth debating for Japan which is the focus of this thread and i can't believe that the majority of people are specting similar numbers like you are implying, that would be quite worrisome in terms of rational thinking around here.

We are looking at a device that:
  • Unlike the 3DS and Wii U is launching with a desireble or system selling piece of software.
  • Has the entire developer/publisher strenght of Nintendo focused on a single device.
  • The Switch main concept and engineering wasn't intentionally compromised (read "half assed") from the get go with the intention to resell cuarrent owners a more polished subsequent version, like Nintendo did planned with the Wii U specially (from my perspective).
  • And finally, the Switch will launch riding on the crest of a more apparent marketting effort of Nintendo's IP's and brand in general.
The unknowns in regards to how high above Wii U the Switch can go are related to external factors like Nintendo's third party support (the one related to it's portable devices) and the market reduction of dedicated gaming devices due to the usual factors known by everyone by now.

But even asuming a 50% reduction from the 3DS (which is rather extreme), the Switch will outperform N64 and GC.

oti

Banned
Zelda is usually a solid but not stellar title in Japan. I wonder if the voice acting and anime influences have made it more appealing. Most likely it's selling well because there's not much else available...

It's also interesting how both Zelda and Mario are 3D and hence more suited for the West than Japan. But Switch does get Minecraft, maybe some kind of Monster Hunter this year and in 2018 surely 2D games will follow. Maybe Mario Maker 2 or NSMB.

I haven't seen many saying the switch will replicate Wii U's numbers. Most have it between Gamecube and N64's.

Some people have said less than Wii U. I don't think it's the majority but there are definitely those that think it will only sell around 10 million.

Theodran

Just came from Yodobashi Camera in Umeda (Osaka). They were still taking pre-orders for both versions and all games.

Meanwhile, Amazon pre-orders have been unavailable since I woke up this morning, and now third party sellers have started selling the system on there, Amazon pre-order bonuses included, for 60000 yen. I guess brick and mortar still has its uses!

Branduil

I think a realistic range for the Switch lifetime is from 30 to 80 million units. Below that range would be disastrous for Nintendo, higher would mean it's a shockingly huge hit. Wii U+3DS adds up to about 80 million, but a lot has to go right for Nintendo to reach that with the Switch.

Just came from Yodobashi Camera in Umeda (Osaka). They were still taking pre-orders for both versions and all games.

Meanwhile, Amazon pre-orders have been unavailable since I woke up this morning, and now third party sellers have started selling the system on there, Amazon pre-order bonuses included, for 60000 yen. I guess brick and mortar still has its uses!

Pretty funny to see people going crazy in this thread about the Switch completely being sold-out (or rather pre-ordered out) when there is plenty of people with boots on the ground to confirm that it isn't the case. It's pretty obvious that the article linked in the OP is clickbait. Original Post needs an update.

As far as dozens of (or even a hundred) people in front of some stores in Japan queing being a sign of the coming success of the Switch, EXACTLY the same thing happened with the WiiU. We know how that turned out in the end.

Sure, Nintendo will sell a whole bunch of consoles fast in the first few months (afair the WiiU managed to sell close to 4 millions in the first few months, which is commendable), but what counts is the end if they can actually maintain that. Big opening sales mean little when the sales fall off a cliff a few months later when the "will 100% get a console on launch/close afterwards" enthusiast target demography already bought theirs. Parties can be thrown a year or two after launch if Nintendo actually accomplishes to avoid that from happening, which remains to be seen.

Do you want the switch to fail? I don't understand why gamers would want less games on the market. Isn't every console to succeed so there's mores games to play.
I wonder, how do you conclude that he wants to see the console fail when he is simply linking a fact, that the same thing happening with a hundred or more people in Japan lining up for a pre-order having happened with the WiiU? Sometimes I get the feeling that in the eyes of some people on GAF everyone that isn't 100% positive on the Switch and what Nintendo is doing (or is even just posting a link with facts that aren't just full of hearts and roses when it comes to Nintendo and their hardware) is instantly someone who just wants the console to fail/hates Nintendo/Nintendooom crier.

Do you want the switch to fail? I don't understand why gamers would want less games on the market. Isn't every console to succeed so there's mores games to play.

Predicting that the Switch is going to be a massive success won't will that scenario into existence. People are just pointing out the obvious by taking past launches into account. We won't know how it'll fare until it's been on the market for a while.

Frillen

People need to learn from history. Most systems sell out on launch, especially when the initially shipment is only 2 million.

There were electronics stores here in Norway which were sold out of the N-Gage at launch. Yes, the N-Gage.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
But there weren't stories a week later about piles of PS4s that were returned to Japan retailers.

And there weren't stories a week later about piles of 3DS that were returned to Japan retailers too

coughlanio

My local Bic Camera is all out of preorders. I'm seeing that the charging grip is pretty much unavailable anywhere. I think out of all the accessories that'll be the hardest to find.

Maybe I'm behind the times, but I remember being told back around the days of the PS3 and Wii launches that pre-ordering was not really a big "thing" in Japan, people preferring to take their chances day 1?

Has this changed now, or am I mis-remembering the whole thing?

ksamedi

The switch will do pretty well in Japan. Initial supply selling out is normal but there are some
good games following to keep peoples interest going.

Arms, mario kart and Splatoon (which is huge in Japan) will kee the system in active play which is very important in the launch year because there will be tons of software ready for the second year to capitalize on the active userbase.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

It's not wanting to see the Switch fail, it's just this news is literally not indicative of anything, because this happens with every console release in Japan with its initial shipment. It's not really telling if the Switch is a success or a failure.

What will break the dough is how it does down the line, not just how the first batch sells, since the first batch has always sold out for every console ever.

Basically, it makes this whole thing non-news, because... Well, it's not really telling of anything. It just comes off as an empty hype thread as a result; an echo chamber to rattle off hopeful success.

I want the Switch to succeed, I think it doing well is a good thing. But this isn't indicative of it doing either well or badly, it's just what always happens one way or the other.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Was amusing on Amazon JP seeing how Zelda and Mario Kart sold out before the switch did right after preorders went live at 9am

Since the Switch preorders were still available at 9:10am but checking for those 2 games all the pre-orders were gone.

System followed shortly after.

Normal stores seemed to have game pre-orders just fine though even later in the afternoon. Consoles were all taken as expected.

kubus

Was amusing on Amazon JP seeing how Zelda and Mario Kart sold out before the switch did right after preorders went live at 9am

Since the Switch preorders were still available at 9:10am but checking for those 2 games all the pre-orders were gone.

System followed shortly after.

Normal stores seemed to have game pre-orders just fine though even later in the afternoon. Consoles were all taken as expected.
I pre-ordered Zelda way after the Switch though. I think they only put the product pages up for Zelda around 9 AM but didn't add stock until much later, so it only looked like it was already sold out when the pages went up.

(Just checked my order history and I pre-ordered Zelda normal edition at 10:43 and Zelda collector's edition at 9:42. Normal Zelda is still showing as in stock on amazon too!

hemo memo

Gold Member
kVYHaRB.png

Ninty's had launch hardware shortages since the Wii. Being sold out at launch isn't a sufficient indicator that it's going to be a huge success.

Pretty much. I don't know if it's short memory or people want to believe what they want to believe but this for ANY console launch especially Nintendo means nothing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I pre-ordered Zelda way after the Switch though. I think they only put the product pages up for Zelda around 9 AM but didn't add stock until much later, so it only looked like it was already sold out when the pages went up.

(Just checked my order history and I pre-ordered Zelda normal edition at 10:43 and Zelda collector's edition at 9:42. Normal Zelda is still showing as in stock on amazon too!

They must have put up another batch. Due to all other games were available except Mario Kart and Zelda.

Pretty much. I don't know if it's short memory or people want to believe what they want to believe but this for ANY console launch especially Nintendo means nothing.

Those links (and pretty much every other one in this thread) are dealing with NA Wii Us and preorders selling out. I asked earlier if the Wii U preorders sold like this* in Japan and so far I haven't seen anything to support everyone claiming this.

*and I'm aware it hasn't sold out in Japan yet like OP claims but it sold out most places online and seems well on its way to selling out overall.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Zelda is usually a solid but not stellar title in Japan. I wonder if the voice acting and anime influences have made it more appealing. Most likely it's selling well because there's not much else available...

Skyward sword was pretty anime, so who knows.

I was working today from early morning so couldn't be there for the queues nor the time it debuted on Amazon. However, I was able to place an order online on Yodobashi exactly 5 hours after the sale began (after spending around 10 minutes refreshing through site crashes). My credit card went through. Yodobashi were taking preorders online for almost 8 hours before they removed the 'add to cart' button. We'llsee if my unit can make it on launch. The preorder sign was still up in front of the physical store when I passed it on my way home.

Don't forget that the Japanese MyNinyendo store will open on 1/23 and you can preorder your Switch there; completely with flexible color choices for the Joy-Cons (although that might be a risky move unless you have ninja reflexes).

Launches usually sell out fast, so there are hardly an indication of future performance. I wonder what's the percentage of purchases going to scalpers? That said, if Nintendo is able to move the 2m launch month global inventory fast, there are off to a good start. It's too soon to celebrate or call doom.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I mean, do people doubt the Switch will sell out on the initial 2M units for March? Of course it will. Has no bearing on long term success, but it will certainly hardly be a failure, at least out the gate.

wanders

Not surprised at all. The issues we fight over in GAF don't really concern the casual buyer. As a concept of a console hybrid the Switch is a very cool and desireable product.

Yup some friends seen the trailer and we're really interested in it. At least they thought it was cool. It's very distinctive

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
What isn't a surprise is a small amount of units being sold out online.

"Many gamers in Japan have been left without a pre-order for a launch day Nintendo Switch, which has caused the reselling market in Japan to explode with resellers in Japan already selling the console on Amazon for double the price of the retail price."

Classic Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom