• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch sells out in minutes in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

noshten

I've seen bigger lines at the bread store outside my place. Japanese people will line up for just about anything.

But that was for bread and this is for a toaster

5CFOMEr.gif

Due to the poor performance of the Wii U there's likely to be "some" pent up demand from earlier generation Nintendo fans that skipped the Wii U that would like to play Nintendo again.

If lapsed Nintendo fans would be anywhere you would guess it had to be Japan as Nintendo have always performed better there.

The Switch selling out in Japan with Nintendo's restricted supply and the pent up demand for Nintendo over there looks to be a none story. It's pretty much what I'd expect even at a higher price.

Whether the Switch is still in demand after the core Nintendo fans have had their fill remains to be seen.

Darksol

Not sure how to take this? Are you trying to imply something about Japanese people?

Yes -- that standing in long lines is not indictative of a massive ground swell of support for the Switch in Japan, when similar length lines happen all over the country every day for even the most pedestrian of items.

Edit: I agree with the poster above me as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was in Yodobashi Akiba today and the line was insane, wrapping around multiple parts of the toy/games/figures floor. Luckily they had a line open for people who weren't pre-ordering, because it was easily a multi-hour wait.

The Sofmap nearby seemed to still be taking pre-orders and didn't have a crazy line, though.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Due to the poor performance of the Wii U there's likely to be "some" pent up demand from earlier generation Nintendo fans that skipped the Wii U that would like to play Nintendo again.

If lapsed Nintendo fans would be anywhere you would guess it had to be Japan as Nintendo have always performed better there.

The Switch selling out in Japan with Nintendo's restricted supply and the pent up demand for Nintendo over there looks to be a none story. It's pretty much what I'd expect even at a higher price.

Whether the Switch is still in demand after the core Nintendo fans have had their fill remains to be seen.

Lol, one of the weirdest excuses i have heard

mujun

The reseller prices are down to 40,000 on Amazon already. Doesn't seem to be fervent demand to me.

I got mine pre-ordered, I'm happy.

If anyone is still after one, Yodobashi still have preorders up on their site. However, it took me about 2-3 hours of clicking to get through the 6 steps without tripping up on a server error.

Edit: seems like they're gone now :(

I just think it's hilarious that any of you think opinions on GAF have any effect on anything gaming related. It's just over 171k active users. It's nothing. This site might as well be a blog when it comes to gaming culture.

Funny thing about Japanese lines is the more people are in a line, the more people line up.

No, the most funny thing is : the more people are in line in front of a restaurant, the more food is good there..

Anyway, I was in Sofmap Ikebukuro, preorders for Switch already closed, in Yamada Denki still available (6-7 people in line and 3 with preorders paper, another one was filling the paper at the kiosk

Now in Bic Camera, preorders still available despite not possible online since this morning (16:30 here): I directly asked to the staff and he said that actually you can still make preorder but not sure for how long time yet

In the end I can say there is good interest in Switch, probably from tomorrow it won't be possible to preorder anymore

Update: according to preorder paper in Bic Camera actually the only sold out items are both Zelda versions

Porcile

So J-Switchers, what was your pre-order haul? I just went with the regular grey console and regular Zelda. Will definitely pick up DQH 1-2, maybe Bomberman, maybe Disgaea 5 and maybe Setsuna along the way.

ricelord

Didn't the same thing happen to the wii u and we all know how that turn out. we have to wait and see how many units this going to sell by the end of the year.

Lucifon

The console is quite significantly cheaper in Japan right? I feel like if the console was noticeably cheaper in the US and particularly the EU the consensus would be less negative. What are the game / accessory prices like over there?

Edit - I'd still be cautious of jumping to conclusions of the implications of preorders selling out. Quick Google search shows:

viHuGi

Banned
Switch minimum Japan sales will be 25M,specially after Portable only mode for lower price, it will replace 3DS, have Pokemon, Splatoon, Monster Hunter etc.

How's it an excuse? We need to wait and see. Initial launch always sells out.

It's hard to say that Japan is a hotbed for "relapsed Nintendo fans" when the 3DS is one of the most successful consoles of all time there. It outsold every piece of hardware Sony has ever released and topped only by the DS and the combined sales of GB and GBC. Nobody in Japan has been waiting a generation to play Nintendo games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The console is quite significantly cheaper in Japan right? I feel like if the console was noticeably cheaper in the US and particularly the EU the consensus would be less negative. What are the game / accessory prices like over there?

Edit - I'd still be cautious of jumping to conclusions of the implications of preorders selling out. Quick Google search shows:

Price seems about on par with US price - both list prices excluding sales tax. Comes to about £215 and that is with the shit exchange rate right now. I should have left my 30k yen from my Christmas japan trip with my in-laws and got them to pick me one up (they got my vita at launch too) but Indidnt expect such a big price difference

It's hard to say that Japan is a hotbed for "relapsed Nintendo fans" when the 3DS is one of the most successful consoles of all time there. It outsold every piece of hardware Sony has ever released and topped only by the DS and the combined sales of GB and GBC. Nobody in Japan has been waiting a generation to play Nintendo games.

Personal items (handheld) vs. household items (console).

NDS sold way more than the PS2 but the PS2 has still the edge in total software sales.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

NDS sold way more than the PS2 but the PS2 has still the edge in total software sales.

Im pretty sure trying to seperate it as a personal item or a household item is irrelevant in japan, where a japan now would still choose a 3DS over a PS2

Good to see Switch is popular in Japan, with consoles not being so popular over there anymore, they are clearly interested in the handheld side of the Switch.

Im pretty sure trying to seperate it as a personal item or a household item is irrelevant in japan, where a japan now would still choose a 3DS over a PS2

The question here would be how the Japanese market will receive the Switch, because right now it is the more expensive device than the PS4 and doesn't really operate in that personal item sphere.

I live in a small town and nothing's sold out here. Tsutaya, Joshin, Yamada and Edion. Crazy thing i realised while i was having a look around is that they're still trying to sell 500gb PS3s for 25000Y! Switch price doesn't seem so bad when you compare it with that lunacy!

Didn't the same thing happen to the wii u and we all know how that turn out. we have to wait and see how many units this going to sell by the end of the year.

There had been a few stories about WiiU shortages but you could get a WiiU always without problems.

It's not comparable anyway if we don't know the numbers.

The question here would be how the Japanese market will receive the Switch, because right now it is the more expensive device than the PS4 and doesn't really operate in that personal item sphere.

This is not relevant to the point I made or the post I replied to. You're being contrarian for the sake of it.

jts

...hate me...

The Switch is as personal as an iPad.

Yamada Denki Ikebukuro
At the kiosk one person is registering his data and what he wants to buy, on the back among the people in line 3 people holding the preorder paper

Sofmap Ikebukuro
Both systems and Zelda were sold-out, the other games were all available

Bic Camera Ikebukuro
The preorder paper, as you can see both Zelda versions are already sold-out

pictures took from 16:00 to 16:30

guek

Banned
Zelda is usually a solid but not stellar title in Japan. I wonder if the voice acting and anime influences have made it more appealing. Most likely it's selling well because there's not much else available...

You are comparing different types of devices.

something something apples and oranges.

I didn't compare anything.

Here, I'll repost my comment without that confusing middle sentence to make my point more concise:

It's hard to say that Japan is a hotbed for "relapsed Nintendo fans" when the 3DS is one of the most successful consoles of all time there. Nobody in Japan has been waiting a generation to play Nintendo games.

jobrro

So J-Switchers, what was your pre-order haul? I just went with the regular grey console and regular Zelda. Will definitely pick up DQH 1-2, maybe Bomberman, maybe Disgaea 5 and maybe Setsuna along the way.

Just ordered the gray console and a Pro pad. Unsure whether I will keep the order or cancel and pick one up once there is a discount or bundle. I regretted not preordering PSVR and ended up having to get PSVR from Amazon US and move controllers from Amazon UK.

If I keep it I will most likely get Zelda digitally. Maybe 1 2 Switch if reception is warm, wish it was packed in though... Really liked Nintendoland that came with the Deluxe Wii U Bundle, was great multiplayer over many holidays.

Zelda is usually a solid but not stellar title in Japan. I wonder if the voice acting and anime influences have made it more appealing. Most likely it's selling well because there's not much else available...

Honestly? People would simply not buy the Switch now if they are not interested in Zelda.

tsumineko

I did the same as you, from Amazon. I also picked up an official case and screen protector. Can't wait! I'm thinking about Setsuna and also Puyo Tetris too.

Yamada Denki Ikebukuro
At the kiosk one person is registering his data and what he wants to buy, on the back among the people in line 3 people holding the preorder paper

Sofmap Ikebukuro
Both systems and Zelda were sold-out, the other games were all available

Bic Camera Ikebukuro
The preorder paper, as you can see both Zelda versions are already sold-out

pictures took from 16:00 to 16:30

Dragon Quest Heroes 1/2 is a launch title!?

Jelly.

AniHawk

The only reason someone hasn't made a thread like this is due to how much crow was served in the previous one.

i wasn't sure why people were so damn sure the wii u was going to replicate the wii. it seemed like the writing was on the wall it would at least start off worse than the ps3.

by that same token, i don't know why people are so damn sure the switch is going to replicate the wii u. sometimes it feels like people really think that everything is locked into a linear pattern when reality doesn't reflect that.

notaskwid

i wasn't sure why people were so damn sure the wii u was going to replicate the wii. it seemed like the writing was on the wall it would at least start off worse than the ps3.

by that same token, i don't know why people are so damn sure the switch is going to replicate the wii u. sometimes it feels like people really think that everything is locked into a linear pattern when reality doesn't reflect that.
I haven't seen many saying the switch will replicate Wii U's numbers. Most have it between Gamecube and N64's.

anothertech

Good to hear Japan is buying it. Would be more interesting to see how many 'sold out' actually means.

WiiU sold out in NA and that didn't pan out that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom