• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch sells out in minutes in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratrat

How it is too big for children? It's smaller than an iPad Mini that my niece had no problem using and carrying around at three years old. And the Switch is about a big as a Vita, which most adults have no problem carrying around on a train.
Its quite a bit bigger than a vita, considerably more expensive too. Buying multiple $300 devices so your kids can lose them in trains or parks makes no sense. There is no way a sane parent would consider it over a 3ds or smartphone.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I am hype for my Switch, and I think it seems like a good platform, but I firmly believe that its performance and support in 2018 is going to provide the real evidence in regard to its longevity. Until then its a crapshoot despite what the 2017 heavy-hitters might accomplish.

If they ditch support for the 3DS this year, then the Switch will succeed in 2018 as Nintendo's only machine.

There's no possible way it could do worse than the Wii U.

caffeware

Banned
15876896_151819495316173_742820576732643328_n.jpg

source

Whats up with those kids?

Ratrat

Got one from Yamada Denki in Utsunomiya, Tochigi (mid-sized city 2 hours north of Tokyo). I went a few hours after opening not expecting much and was surprised that they had plenty to spare.
These 'sold out' stories are almost always only Tokyo or the biggest cities. It was the same with the Wii. All over tv they were saying how hard it was to get. But in Aomori I could just pick one up on launch.

Illucio

Banned
Clearly Artificial Scarcity.

Or it could be that Japan Likes Handhelds a lot.
I think handhelds + next Mario game pretty much sold this.

Switch is going to sell like hotcakes in Japan. Everywhere else? We're looking at maybe a little better then Wii U performance, but no where near 3DS success.

I've said it in the Media-Create thread, but I think the Switch has a baseline of sales this calendar year in Japan of around 2.5 million. It has potential to do much more than that if Japan really buys into the hardware, Splatoon 2 improves upon its Wii U performance, and if additional titles like Pokemon or Monster Hunter are announced for it.

Its holiday season could look like Dragon Quest XI, Monster Hunter XX (up-port), Pokemon Stars, and Super Mario Odyssey, if Nintendo plays its cards right.

Alebrije

As promised. It was about as interesting as it looks. At its peak there was probably a couple hundred people in the line as it stretched around the shop. Yokohama Yodobashi for those interested.

Thx ,it is always intersting to see those pictures...

Switch is a Japanese device first and foremost.

It's going to have literally every relevant franchise on the thing. I still don't see it breaking 20million but it'll do very well there.

Pretty much came here to post this. Switch is a device profoundly shaped by and targeted towards the Japanese market. It shouldn't be a surprise that something so tailored to them and their love of handhelds and forced constant mobility resonates so strongly with Japanese gamers.

This is however a positive and promising sign. I want Nintendo to do well and hope that the Switch is a smash hit in Japan. Excellent news IMO.

Yeah, this isn't indicative of anything. The Wii U did as well, IIRC.

It's probably gonna do better than the Wii U though. Handheld gaming is the dominant traditional form of gaming in Japan and with the Switch being the only new handheld (and more) console to be released in years, it'll do well.

I don't know much of anything about how the Switch handles carts and whatnot, but is there some way they can get 3DS games to work on it besides digital? Because that'll make the transition a lot easier.

Speely

Banned
If they ditch support for the 3DS this year, then the Switch will succeed in 2018 as Nintendo's only machine.

There's no possible way it could do worse than the Wii U.

Oh I agree 100%. I am more optimistic than most about the Switch's sales by 2020. I just think it will be tough to judge till 2018.

I think it will surpass the Wii U in 2018, though. Maybe by holiday 2017, actually.

Mr T.

Banned
Its quite a bit bigger than a vita, considerably more expensive too. Buying multiple $300 devices so your kids can lose them in trains or parks makes no sense. There is no way a sane parent would consider it over a 3ds or smartphone.
Its $50 more then a new Nintendo 3DS. If you have kids and your son/daughter ask you for a Nintendo Switch for their birthday are you gonna say no because of $50? As far as I know my nephew considers his Ipad mini and 3DS as the 2 most important things in his life. Hes had both for 3 years or so and both are in good condition.

Mr T.

Banned
Well you have Nintendo home territory, a concept that appeals to the Japanese gamer, and a platform that is getting a lot of support from eastern publishers. I'm not surprised it sold out, but 5 minutes is pretty impressive.

kubus

So apparently even Yodobashi Akiba isn't sold out of Switch pre-orders (they still have systems, but peripherals are starting to sell out). Yodobashi Shinjuku store also still has pre-orders open (1) (2). Are these the biggest electronics stores in Japan?

It's 13:38 PM in Japan now btw. How can anyone call this "Switch sells out in minutes in Japan"?

Like I said earlier, this article is completely bullshit. The only thing you could say is that "Switch pre-orders on Amazon sold out within 15 minutes" which is absolutely true - I saw it myself.

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but there are tons of overreactions in this thread based on this news story. I'm even starting to see other websites use that article as a source. It's mind boggling.

Ratrat

Its $50 more then a new Nintendo 3DS. If you have kids and your son/daughter ask you for a Nintendo Switch for their birthday are you gonna say no because of $50? As far as I know my nephew considers his Ipad mini and 3DS as the 2 most important things in his life. Hes had both for 3 years or so and both are in good condition.
In Japan its 20k vs 30k. A normal 3ds is 15k. Does your nephew use those devices in trains and parks on a near daily basis?
What would make parents think their kid needs this other device that takes more space, has losable parts, is considerally more expensive and has fewer games?

shira

So apparently even Yodobashi Akiba isn't sold out of Switch pre-orders (they still have systems, but peripherals are starting to sell out). Yodobashi Shinjuku store also still has pre-orders open (1) (2). Are these the biggest electronics stores in Japan?

It's 13:38 PM in Japan now btw. How can anyone call this "Switch sells out in minutes in Japan"?

Like I said earlier, this article is completely bullshit. The only thing you could say is that "Switch pre-orders on Amazon sold out within 15 minutes" which is absolutely true - I saw it myself.

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but there are tons of overreactions in this thread based on this news story. I'm even starting to see other websites use that article as a source. It's mind boggling.

This needs more visibility. Smaller sites making incredible claims

Ratrat

Biggest stores are(checking stock on their online stores):
Yamada Denki(sold out)
Bic Camera(sold out)
Edion(not sold out)
Yodobashi Camera(not sold out)

SalvaPot

I've said it in the Media-Create thread, but I think the Switch has a baseline of sales this calendar year in Japan of around 2.5 million. It has potential to do much more than that if Japan really buys into the hardware, Splatoon 2 improves upon its Wii U performance, and if additional titles like Pokemon or Monster Hunter are announced for it.

Its holiday season could look like Dragon Quest XI, Monster Hunter XX (up-port), Pokemon Stars, and Super Mario Odyssey, if Nintendo plays its cards right.

What are the odds Switch gets a Splatoon Bundle?

Mr T.

Banned
In Japan its 20k vs 30k. A normal 3ds is 15k. Does your nephew use those devices in trains and parks on a near daily basis?
What would make parents think their kid needs this other device that takes more space, has losable parts, is considerally more expensive and has fewer games?
Well he doesn't use a train, but takes it with him on the bus sometimes. He plays with his friends and brings the 3DS to their houses as they use the street pass feature. I couldn't tell you if small pieces are a turn off for some parents, but all I know is is kids in the States and my area love playing with tiny Legos at a very young age. If they can take avoid losing small legos then I think the Switch is fine (especially since the joycons can stay attached to the screen).

And I think I can speak for all parents when your kid really wants one thing for a birthday or Christmas you kinda just want to make them happy as long as its not dumb or extremely expensive. If I was gonna give my kid a video game console or handheld and he wanted a Switch then why not? I had a GameBoy when I was 4 and still have it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Microsoft Lumia phones also sold out while back. Just saying that this means nothing now days. Need numbers

Ratrat

Well he doesn't use a train, but takes it with him on the bus sometimes. He plays with his friends and brings the 3DS to their houses as they use the street pass feature. I couldn't tell you if small pieces are a turn off for some parents, but all I know is is kids in the States and my area love playing with tiny Legos at a very young age. If they can take avoid losing small legos then I think the Switch is fine (especially since the joycons can stay attached to the screen).

And I think I can speak for all parents when your kid really wants one thing for a birthday or Christmas you kinda just want to make them happy as long as its not dumb or extremely expensive. If I was gonna give my kid a video game console or handheld and he wanted a Switch then why not? I had a GameBoy when I was 4 and still have it.
Thats honestly really great. I'm just trying to understand what posters who say this is specially catered to Japan are talking about.
Also ¥30,000 IS expensive for a toy to give to small children. And its too physically big for anyone who isn't an avid gamer to want to haul around a dedicated gaming device outside.

Tadaima

It is not sold out in Japan.

Misreporting.

Quoting somebody else who is familiar:

It is now 2PM and Bicqlo, the flagship Bic/Uniqlo store, is still taking preorders.

For those unfamiliar, this is a huge - and probably the most popular - electronics store in central Shinjuku. Shinjuku is the beating heart of Tokyo.

I understand that initial sales don't really matter -- I think Nintendo still maintains a strong enough enthusiast base for that to be the reality for their new platform... But I really hope the Switch maintains success in Japan. I think that will be a good baseline to create a long-term strong ecosystem for the types of games I want to see come to the Switch... Essentially successor to all of the types games from the WiiU, 3DS, and Vita... And hopefully a good deal of indies. That would be quite ideal to me, at least, even if that assortment is relatively niche.

EDarkness

2PM and Bicqlo, the flagship Bic/Uniqlo store, is still taking preorders.

For those unfamiliar, this is a huge - and probably the most popular - electronics store in central Shinjuku.

Yeah, that place is huge...and crowded. Heh, maybe this thing isn't gonna be all that big in Japan....

kubus

This needs more visibility. Smaller sites making incredible claims
Well, it would help if the OP put one of my posts in the original post instead of memes........

Biggest stores are(checking stock on their online stores):
Yamada Denki(sold out)
Bic Camera(sold out)
Edion(not sold out)
Yodobashi Camera(not sold out)
Good list, and Amazon is sold out, of course. Should've specified I meant retail stores in my post btw :p. I guess Yodobashi Akiba and Shinjuku are the biggest stores that would probably attract the biggest crowds, so if those aren't sold out, then everywhere is probably also still safe (though those two branches would of course also be given larger quantities so it doesn't rule anything out).

It is not sold out in Japan.

Misreporting.

Quoting somebody else who is familiar:

It is now 2PM and Bicqlo, the flagship Bic/Uniqlo store, is still taking preorders.

For those unfamiliar, this is a huge - and probably the most popular - electronics store in central Shinjuku. Shinjuku is the beating heart of Tokyo.
Ohhh of course, how could I forget Bicqlo!

CCIE

Banned
Switch is designed for the Japanese... it will be a HUGE failure in the US (where only graphics really matter), and to a lesser extent in Europe. Europe mainly because of screwy pricing by NoE. It will do far better in Japan than any other region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom