• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch sells out in minutes in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

kubus

Maybe we should make a "Japan Switch pre-order experience thread" to get a more realistic perspective on the status of Switch reservations. Because what this article is saying is completely bullshit.

Koppai

It feels like a lot of people here want the Switch to fail. You can say that this doesn't indicate whether or not there will be long term success for the system without being smug and snarky about it. I don't understand the mentality of people like that.

I bet there is a percentage of people who are still salty from previous hardware launches who weren't able to snag one on launch day. I ordered the Pro controller from Amazon Japan. Will cancel it if it comes out in the US (so I can get a discount :p)

To everyone saying the Wii U did this too... Do you have a source for that? I remember it being very easy to find both in Japan and NA.

Not that the Switch has actually sold out in Japan, since this is a terrible article from an unknown site with poor sourcing. But still, this seems to be performing better than the Wii U in the same time frame.

Which should've been obvious because this is a handheld in Japan despite what Nintendo is marketing it as to the west.

Do you have a source for this?

To everyone saying the Wii U did this too... Do you have a source for that? I remember it being very easy to find both in Japan and NA.

Not that the Switch has actually sold out in Japan, since this is a terrible article from an unknown site with poor sourcing. But still, this seems to be performing better than the Wii U in the same time frame.

Which should've been obvious because this is a handheld in Japan despite what Nintendo is marketing it as to the west.

http://techland.time.com/2012/11/14...vultures-is-anyone-not-sold-out-of-the-wii-u/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...sold-out-already-selling-for-over-500-on-ebay

Shit was always going to be big in Japan. Gaf just looks at everything from the western PS4 centric view of things.

Most western gaming messageboards such as NeoGAF have always been biased towards Nintendo while always praising both Microsoft & Sony; All because of shit like "Teh better graphix"!.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Did anyone seriously think it wouldn't sell out it's pre-orders? First month for a new, major console are usually pretty rosie. I'll start paying attention to sales numbers in June, when trends are actually visible.

jrush64

Banned
It feels like a lot of people here want the Switch to fail. You can say that this doesn't indicate whether or not there will be long term success for the system without being smug and snarky about it. I don't understand the mentality of people like that.

So true.

koss424

Did anyone seriously think it wouldn't sell out it's pre-orders? First month for a new, major console are usually pretty rosie. I'll start paying attention to sales numbers in June, when trends are actually visible.

It's a start and few people did doubt it would. But yes that's meaningless but certainly better than the alternative.

See my reply to shingi70. That's the answer why.

Nintendo themselves calls it a home console that can be handheld. Not a handheld that can be played on your TV like a home console.

That's just western marketing, not eastern.

These are US only though. All the WiiU old articles are such a joy to go back and read

IHS Screen Digest forecasts Wii U sales of 3.5 million consoles this year (which would be ahead of the 3.1 million Wii had in 2006). But over the first four years, the research firm predicts Nintendo will sell 56.7 million Wii Us

LOL

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Gaf is biased against Nintendo"

"People want Switch to fail"

Do you guys even hear what your saying? This is the most fanboyish nonsense out there, i'm surprised there are so many people parroting this nonsense, especially after the legitimate issues that have popped up since the reveal

Do you have a source for this?

Certainly not, which is why I said "seems to". It's basically that preorders opened a week ago and seem to be fairly hard to find anywhere anymore. I never even had to pre-order the Wii U, I walked into a Gamestop* on launch day and picked up 2 of the many boxes just sitting behind the desk.

I know, anecdotes and all.

*Near DC if anyone is curious.

Err that first one is confusing as hell because it talks about Amazon US being sold out when Amazon never actually sold any Wii Us or preorders at all in the first few years.

CCIE

Banned
Switch will be huge in Japan... be ready for it. Japanese companies will develop for it in droves. The device is basically made with the Japanese in mind.

jxN3

The Wii-U definitely wasn't sold out at launch, had no problem getting one day-one in southern California. Multiple stores had plenty in stock. I went around 8 PM and it looked as if nobody had bought any. Tons of stock.

"Gaf is biased against Nintendo"

"People want Switch to fail"

Do you guys even hear what you;re saying? This is the most fanboyish nonsense out there, I'm surprised there are so many people parroting this nonsense, especially after the legitimate issues that have popped up since the reveal

It's not fanboyish; It's the truth. People always happen to speak negatively about Nintendo & what they do in almost every Nintendo thread, which is unnecessary.

If someone were to do that shit on either Xbox or PlayStation threads, they would want to have a hissy fit & call them trolls, etc.

Halabane

Maybe we should make a "Japan Switch pre-order experience thread" to get a more realistic perspective on the status of Switch reservations. Because what this article is saying is completely bullshit.

If kubus (the guy who helped lots of import) questions this then it may very well be BS. I suspect its out on Amazon.jp that is why people think its sold out all over.

The Wii-U definitely wasn't sold out at launch, had no problem getting one day-one in southern California. Multiple stores had plenty in stock. I went around 8 PM and it looked as if nobody had bought any. Tons of stock.

I think we're strictly talking about Japan here.

See my reply to shingi70. That's the answer why.

That's just western marketing, not eastern.

Did NoJ say the Switch is a handheld?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's not fanboyish; It's the truth. This happens in almost every Nintendo thread, which is unnecessary.

If someone were to do that shit on either Xbox or PlayStation threads, they want to have a fit & call them trolls, etc.

You have just as many diehard Nintendo defenders doing it as you would the other consoles, including yourself. There are even more in threads where Nintendo had a legitimate argument to make.

Threads like Nintendo only having a phone app for communication between players are obviously slanted towards those criticizing Nintendo, because they deserve it

HeroR

Many Japanese will do local 8 player, just as they do now with MH, hikikomori who don't go out to play with friends have no problem paying for online.

Exactly. In truth, Japanese don't play games online all that often compared to the west. They play with their friends locally, which is why Nintendo still make local multiple-player a thing. Monster Hunter was originally not playable online and still sold gang-busters.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Since when did Gaf's tastes have much at all to do with sales trends?

The writing was on the wall from the first announcement video data this thing was going to launch very well

LordKasual

Banned
Do I want Switch to fail? Meh, not really.

But I do want Nintendo to get a wake-up call that doesn't result in them just backpedaling into the same nonsense all the time.

The facts surrounding the Switch are utter nonsense. As an Ex-Nintendo fan, it's just aggravating to see them still doing 100% of the shit that made me break off from them in the first place.

Ratrat

Switch will be huge in Japan... be ready for it. Japanese companies will develop for it in droves. The device is basically made with the Japanese in mind.
How so? Its too big for children. Its too big even for adults to comfortably use on the train and its expensive to boot.

EDarkness

Do I want Switch to fail? Meh, not really.

But I do want Nintendo to get a wake-up call that doesn't result in them just backpedaling into the same nonsense all the time.

The facts surrounding the Switch are utter nonsense. As an Ex-Nintendo fan, it's just aggravating to see them still doing 100% of the shit that made me break off from them in the first place.

What wake up call would that be?

Istaerion

If kubus (the guy who helped lots of import) questions this then it may very well be BS. I suspect its out on Amazon.jp that is why people think its sold out all over.

It's available on other Japanese online sites from what I see. Amazon Japan sold out in about five minutes or so, but it looks like that's largely flippers as there is now 72 third-party sellers listing the Nintendo Switch at a heavy markup.

jholmes

It's not fanboyish; It's the truth. People always happen to speak negatively about Nintendo & what they do in almost every Nintendo thread, which is unnecessary.

If someone were to do that shit on either Xbox or PlayStation threads, they want to have a fit & call them trolls, etc.

Come on. I have zero interest in the PS4 or Xbone and I'm really unimpressed with what Nintendo has shown of the Switch. This isn't some console war, I'm just really unhappy with what I'm seeing.

You have just as many diehard Nintendo defenders doing it as you would the other consoles, including yourself. There are even more in threads where Nintendo had a legitimate argument to make.

Threads like Nintendo only having a phone app for communication between players are obviously slanted towards those criticizing Nintendo, because they deserve it

I'm just calling out on the hypocrisy.

I've been a fan of both Nintendo & PlayStation, & there's a difference between legitimate criticism, & saying shit like "This system is going to fail, LOL", etc. It's annoying.

HeroR

How so? Its too big for children. Its too big even for adults to comfortably use on the train and its expensive to boot.

How it is too big for children? It's smaller than an iPad Mini that my niece had no problem using and carrying around at three years old. And the Switch is about a big as a Vita, which most adults have no problem carrying around on a train.

Porcile

As promised. It was about as interesting as it looks. At its peak there was probably a couple hundred people in the line as it stretched around the shop. Yokohama Yodobashi for those interested.

kLxN8lR.jpg

NGHDl0o.jpg

i1UwCrP.jpg

CCIE

Banned
Don't get me wrong... nothing will catch mobile in Japan. But Switch will be the best selling "console" there by a large margin

Considering how popular scalping is, I think I'd rather wait 6+ months to actually start looking at how well it's doing. Actually, waiting a year would probably be better.

Edit: That being said, I expect the Switch to do best in Japan.

Speely

Banned
Considering how popular scalping is, I think I'd rather wait 6+ months to actually start looking at how well it's doing. Actually, waiting a year would probably be better.

I am hype for my Switch, and I think it seems like a good platform, but I firmly believe that its performance and support in 2018 is going to provide the real evidence in regard to its longevity. Until then its a crapshoot despite what the 2017 heavy-hitters might accomplish.

Ness427

Got one from Yamada Denki in Utsunomiya, Tochigi (mid-sized city 2 hours north of Tokyo). I went a few hours after opening not expecting much and was surprised that they had plenty to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom