• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Terminator's (1984) police station shootout scene...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'know, I've always loved that scene, but with the way the world is today with things like Sandy Hook happening it makes me really uncomfortable now.

The idea of a guy brutally murdering an entire precinct of cops was uncomfortable enough to begin with, especially with how it was shot so realistically (as far as time-traveling cyborg massacres go). I love how uncompromising that movie is, it always made me squirm. And this from the guy who made Avatar.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I kinda wish we had some scenes of the cops wondering why he wasn't going down.

I liked that earlier in the movie they actually attempted to "explain" it to Sarah as PCP and body armour.

I'm of the camp that T1 is almost as good as T2, if not its equal. If Cameron would've had a bigger budget to work with then who knows how much better T1 would be. Movie is right up there with Blade Runner and Alien as a legendary scifi film of the late 70s/80s.

I feel that Cameron works better when his back is against the wall financially, as I personally think that The Terminator and Aliens are his best movies. It helps that there's no scenes that are blatant "look at these awesome special effects" in either movie.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Jesus Christ, why the hell would they do that?
Because the movie's audio was originally recorded in mono so that the budget would be better spent on the movie's effects, and when the movie released on DVD, they remixed the audio to take advantage of the multiple channels. Hence the addition of new sound effects.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Terminator-Blu-ray/61372/#Review

Michael Reuben said:
I remember a time, back in the days of laserdisc, when everyone complained about The Terminator's mono track, which had almost no bass extension and, obviously, nothing by way of surround activity. (Cameron said at the time that he chose to allocate most of his budget to visual effects and spend less on sound.) After the success of Terminator 2, everyone hoped Cameron would oversee a remix of the original film's soundtrack.

How times have changed. Now the chief complaint is the omission of the original soundtrack from current editions of The Terminator in favor of the remixed version that Cameron did eventually prepare. This remastered Blu-ray will not eliminate that complaint, as it features only the remixed soundtrack in lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1. The previous disc from 2006 offered the same track in PCM. The remixed track still sounds quite good, with deep bass extension, distinct split surround activity, clear and intelligible dialogue, and a musically pleasing reproduction of Brad Fiedel's score that is especially effective when the main theme switches from electronic instrumentals to piano for the Sarah/Reese love story. Those wishing for the original mono will have to make do, but as "making do" goes, this is hardly roughing it.

The cop sitting down on the phone doesn't hear all the gunshots and the car crash happening right outside, that's one of the big problems with the scene. And Terminator 2 is a horrible movie, the first one is much better.

Thanks NeoGaf.

I will be re-watching T1 again this weekend. It's been way too long.

Also, I can't believe I haven't listened to Perturbator outside watching the movies they are featured in. I have 2 hours of them queued up right now at work. Amazing.

thenexus6

Jim Cameron is the truth. He knows how to shoot a scene. Although I can't find a clip that scene in T2 when Arnie has the shotgun in the rose box and comes face to face with the T-1000 in the arcade back corridor for the first time has to be one of the best scenes in any movie for me. I don't know what it is but I get feels everything its so so well done.

Also for me T1 > T2 arnie being a ice cold machine, the stop motion etc edge it ahead.

Jim Cameron is the truth. He knows how to shoot a scene. Although I can't find a clip that scene in T2 when Arnie has the shotgun in the rose box and comes face to face with the T-1000 in the arcade back corridor for the first time has to be one of the best scenes in any movie for me. I don't know what it is but I get feels everything its so so well done.

Also for me T1 > T2 arnie being a ice cold machine, the stop motion etc edge it ahead.

I love the fascination with stepping on things in the sequel. There's the skull in the intro, the roses and his shades. Probably more that are escaping me at the moment.

It wasn't until my 3rd or 4th watching as an adolescent that I realized this scene was supposed to be a big reveal. Like many kids of that era, I saw T2 before I saw T1, so I always assumed that Arnold was the good guy. The marketing campaign totally spoiled the first hour of the film.

Ithil

I love the fascination with stepping on things in the sequel. There's the skull in the intro, the roses and his shades. Probably more that are escaping me at the moment.

Cameron has a thing for filming boots, I think. Not in a Tarartino foot lovin way, he just has a lot of shots of boots walking or stepping on things in his films, right up til Avatar.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Another great scene is the Technoir massacre, when Arnold starts shooting his uzi; his body language is INCREDIBLE. You can see him acting truly like a machine; the methodological scanning motion with the uzi, the way he switch stances once he sees that the threats are gone and walk in a cold, lifeless way holding his uzi up.

Awesome stuff.

Also, notice in the car even he has a way of moving his eyes. He moves his eyes as far as he can and THEN starts turning his head.

thenexus6

Yup damn good. DAT sound when Arnie's boots are crushing the ROSES right after he pulls out his GUN. I wonder if Cameron did that because GUNS N ROSES was on the soundtrack?

Yeah I love the crunch too, the music is awesome too. That haunting humming sound

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Why would they do that? Ugh.

Great track. Also:
PERTURBATOR - Humans Are Such Easy Prey
and less directly but still clearly T1 inspired I think:
PERTURBATOR - War Against Machines

Funnily enough I was listening to this when I clicked to this thread.

Absolutely fantastic.
Perturbator gets me all hot and bothered. Any chance to pimp him should be taken with utmost urgency. So good.

Newlove

Yeah I watched all the films again recently. For some reason I never seen the first film all the way through until then. I really need to get The Terminator films on Blu-ray. Strangely there isn't a box set in the UK.

Ganondorfo

The technoir bar scene was much better, when you see Kyle looking at Sarah, while the Terminator is searching for her at the bar.

terminatortechnoir34sy1.gif

ZehDon

... I feel that Cameron works better when his back is against the wall financially, as I personally think that The Terminator and Aliens are his best movies...
Hard to argue with this. Creativity thrives when restricted. I feel Aliens is by far his best movie, largely because of the inventiveness of everything. There's a reason its still inspiring people to this day. I think my least favourite of his films is Avatar, mostly because it really does focus on the effects first. I think Terminator is a great example of what he can do when the budget is tight.

This movie was almost an horror movie to me as 6 year old kid. The only presence of the Terminator was absolutely terrifying. At the same time i love the atmosphere of the movie is just perfect. The 80´s were some god dammed magical times. I miss them.

yup, also one of my favorite shots from the movie:

glasses1.jpg

Wolfe

so is there a way to watch the remastered bluray video with the original audio?

Michael Reuben said:
I remember a time, back in the days of laserdisc, when everyone complained about The Terminator's mono track, which had almost no bass extension and, obviously, nothing by way of surround activity. (Cameron said at the time that he chose to allocate most of his budget to visual effects and spend less on sound.) After the success of Terminator 2, everyone hoped Cameron would oversee a remix of the original film's soundtrack.

How times have changed. Now the chief complaint is the omission of the original soundtrack from current editions of The Terminator in favor of the remixed version that Cameron did eventually prepare. This remastered Blu-ray will not eliminate that complaint, as it features only the remixed soundtrack in lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1. The previous disc from 2006 offered the same track in PCM. The remixed track still sounds quite good, with deep bass extension, distinct split surround activity, clear and intelligible dialogue, and a musically pleasing reproduction of Brad Fiedel's score that is especially effective when the main theme switches from electronic instrumentals to piano for the Sarah/Reese love story. Those wishing for the original mono will have to make do, but as "making do" goes, this is hardly roughing it.

T1 still is and forever will be one of my favorite films of all time.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I liked that earlier in the movie they actually attempted to "explain" it to Sarah as PCP and body armour.

I feel that Cameron works better when his back is against the wall financially, as I personally think that The Terminator and Aliens are his best movies. It helps that there's no scenes that are blatant "look at these awesome special effects" in either movie.

Aliens had plenty of those.

Trying to pick which the better film between T1 and T2 is futile. They are completely different genres. You might as well try to decide between Saving Private Ryan and Misery.

For my money though T2>Robo Cop>>T1

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Terminator is better than T2.

It's pretty easy to say.

I'm gunna fire it up now, it's on Netflix!

Rydeen

IIRC, that was Arnold's idea to move his eyes and then his head like a security camera would move.
And that's why Arnold became a superstar and other action contemporaries didn't, he's got a great sense for character and charisma that other guys like Seagal never had, he's actually a pretty good actor.

Dead

well not really...yet
T1 wins over Robocop for me, every time, all the time. Great flick, Robocop, but Terminator just comes off as the far more accomplished and seminal movie imo. T2 one of the greatest sequels of all time, dont really feel it's fair to compare directly to 1, both different movies trying to do different things, but they both fit together wonderfully.

Shame we never got Cameron's actual T3 Future War movie (yes this was actually, potentially a thing) and instead were saddled with the other junk due to the dumb ass rights holders/producers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom