• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Thick Of It: S4 "You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, *@$#!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_prOdigy

After mulling it over, I firmly believe it was a really fantastic episode.

I disagree with those that say the Lib Dem minister is painted too leniently. On the contrary, whereas all the previous ministers - Hugh, Nicola, and Peter - were portrayed as genuinely well-meaning, if a little incompetent and naive, Fergus seemed really quite creepy and dubious.

I also actually thought it was quite refreshing to have a no-Malcolm episode, if only because I think Roger Allam as Mannion is absolutely inspired. I think Will Smith is very underrated too. I can't help but feel those who thought it was 'too quiet/boring' without Malcolm are the sort who for some reason want to see Tom Hollander as 'The Fucker' back with a prominent role, whereas I just thought he was really jarring and pointless at the end of S3.

Having said all that, I can't wait for the Opposition episode next week!

Holy shit, that school scene.

I'm looking forward to the return of Malcolm next week, though. The series can work without him, sure, but it's better when he's around.

Wilbur

Banned
After mulling it over, I firmly believe it was a really fantastic episode.

I disagree with those that say the Lib Dem minister is painted too leniently. On the contrary, whereas all the previous ministers - Hugh, Nicola, and Peter - were portrayed as genuinely well-meaning, if a little incompetent and naive, Fergus seemed really quite creepy and dubious.

I also actually thought it was quite refreshing to have a no-Malcolm episode, if only because I think Roger Allam as Mannion is absolutely inspired. I think Will Smith is very underrated too. I can't help but feel those who thought it was 'too quiet/boring' without Malcolm are the sort who for some reason want to see Tom Hollander as 'The Fucker' back with a prominent role, whereas I just thought he was really jarring and pointless at the end of S3.

Having said all that, I can't wait for the Opposition episode next week!

Yeah Smith is fantastic as well, the turkey line was brilliant.

I read somewhere that Iannucci said the format is Coalition-Opposition-Coalition-Opposition-Everyone-Everyone-Everyone. Which sounds great.

Absolutely love this show.

Holy shit, that school scene.

I'm looking forward to the return of Malcolm next week, though. The series can work without him, sure, but it's better when he's around.

Armando probably sees it as a personal challenge to create characters that can stand out against Malcolm.

He never quite will, but he gets close sometimes.

Oh man, this was just hilarious. The first ten minutes were so loaded with snide insults that I missed half of them from laughing so much. Top points for "Doctor Robotnik".

Wonderful episode. Very interesting, as Armando said in interviews, to see Malcolm tamed a bit. I can't wait for the inevitable implosion - assuming in Episode 5 - when he returns to normal. They said that'd happen, and my guess is episode 5 because the structure is Coalition - Opposition - Coalition - Opposition - Everyone - Everyone - Everyone - Everyone, with the everyone Episodes focusing on a Leveson-style enquiry... and I bet that's when Malcom blows up.

Looking forward to seeing Stuart having a meltdown next week!

V_Ben

Banned
God, that was just so bloody fantastic. Highlight had to be the cafe scene. "His dad's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister".

One of my favorite lines of the week was Malcolm's little dig in the Shadow Cabinet meeting at "tiny head" Geoff Holhurst, who we haven't seen since series 2. Love the continuity they have.

Much better episode this week. Malcolm makes the show. His expressions when putting up with Nicola were hilarious, it was like he was ready to explode.

Next week looks crazy.

Polari

Much better episode this week. Malcolm makes the show. His expressions when putting up with Nicola were hilarious, it was like he was ready to explode.

Really? While he's my favourite character, the show would still be excellent without him. Anyway, this week was pretty great - I love how consistent the writing is.

Dabanton

So they are going to have mixed episodes as these one side then the other ones don't feel as fluid imo.

Good episode though.

So they are going to have mixed episodes as these one side then the other ones don't feel as fluid imo.

Good episode though.

They're doing one more each based around the Coalition and the Opposition, and then they're mixing them together for the last few episodes, for a Leveson Inquiry kind of thing.

daviyoung

Banned
Malcolm doesn't like being behind does he? Fantastic characterization.

Good series so far, although I think the writing can sometimes feel a bit too forced and over-written. Especially the back-chat quips, but it's a minor niggle for a couple of episodes that are endlessly rewatchable.

Jackpot

Banned
Nicola being leader of the opposition seems a bit weird. She was the 4th choice to run an unimportant department and did a poor job of it until they got voted out. Might have been better as her being a shadow cabinet minister trying to remain positive in the face of a Milliband-esque off-screen leader trying to learn how to walk instead.

Peru

This one was so good. I like the new chick. And Olly's hilariously disgusting mop. And the "quiet bat people" brainstorming.

Man, Phil is a force of nature in this episode.
KuGsj.gif

EDIT: YOU IDIOT, THAT'S FUCKING MENTAL.

EDIT 2: Stuart and Mannion climbing the slide is brilliant.

EDIT 3: "I buy the Big Issue out of social embarrassment, not a FUCKING BANK."

Wes

venison crêpe
"I'm in charge and I'm going Nordic drama."

"You don't handle World at One. They're not stolen goods."

"That boy is a simpleton. Two thousand years ago he wouldn't have been allowed to milk a cow."

This is a brilliant episode.

This episode is simply incredible.

Also: Aianuchi accidentally leaked episode 6 on Twitter earlier today. Apparently it's an hour long. If that's not pre-finished edit that'd be amazing.

D_prOdigy

Roger Allam is fucking amazing.

Feel like I'm stemming the tide, but I think I love the Coalition episodes more than Opposition.

And I adored last week's episode.

Loved that last episode. DoSAC gets into enough trouble on a regular day, it's no surprise a dead man and a cute girl sends them spiralling into a proper ol' catastrofuck.

Roger Allam's character (Mannion) is as awesome at tirades as Malcom this series -- the "and ho!" ball rant was amazing this week! I loved him in Speed Racer too <3

I find myself wishing away the weekdays just to get the next episode - so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom