• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times : Sony is considering pricing PS4 "at about £300"

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I clarified with the author:

@gofreak_ie Local UK pricing. Not a yen conversion.

https://twitter.com/muradahmed

I'm not sure I could possibly believe it. £350 maybe. But £300? In the UK? Maybe theyre banking on the quarter delay we may be experiencing as compared to everywhere else and getting manufacture down that quickly.

Cutting edge console costing less than mass market middle-to-high end smartphones would be WEIRD.

javac

Game over for Sony if this is announced over $400 on Wednesday. Game over!

I'll eat my monitor if this actually comes in under $400.

You say its game over for Sony if its over $400 but at the same time feel that its impossible to be under $400, hence you saying you would eat your monitor. Does mean Sony have lost regardless? Or am I reading it wrong?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm not sure I could possibly believe it. £350 maybe. But £300? In the UK? Maybe theyre banking on the quarter delay we may be experiencing as compared to everywhere else and getting manufacture down.

Cutting edge console costing less than mass market high end smartphones would be WEIRD.

I don't really believe £300 either. Maybe 'about £300' means £350 which seems a little more realistic...

Think is your Sony right?
You released the PS3 at massive cost to yourself THEN had to cut the price even further!
Huge losses with next to no gain.

New generation. You can make big losses but this time its all to gain.
Sony know the PS2 era benefits and the costs to get there.

I honestly think they could. They'll take the loss on tax where they have to too.

BasilZero

400 dollars yikes - well less than the PS3 but still too much for my taste (at least for now).

If I can get more disposable income I'll get it in within 1 year or so otherwise 3 year plan lol.

US price is always the lowest amongnst the regions (relatively). So I wouldn't freak out in US and Canada

+Sony has been playing nice with the parity of Canadian Dollar with US Dollar (unlike Microsoft) so North America will end up getting the best deal

Omikaru

£299 would be a good price, what I would expect for a 39,990 yen console in Japan without the additional Sony EU tax that we get on all of their products.

Bolded is kind of why I've been leaning towards £349 at this point. But maybe Sony learned their lesson from Vita, which was celebrated for its price in the US (until memory card prices were discovered), yet the £229 WiFi price over here was universally cursed. It really was disgustingly overpriced. £299 would reflect that lesson learnt.

I'm still saying £349.99 just because that seems most likely.

For whatever it's worth:

WLwN8RC.png

Get in! This was the clarification I needed. Really hope it's true.

If it's £300 in the UK, then frankly $350 in the US is more likely than $450. I'd still bet on $400 though and assume Sony (and hopefully MS) realise the UK market demands a lower pricepoint than usual.

javac

I know this is a PlayStation 4 thread, so forgive me. But since this is a thread about a new console coming out at a certain price in the UK, what would this mean for Wii U?And I don't just want to get comments saying "DEAD", since we get enough of them already, it just what price will WIi U have to go to?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes, £299.99 should mean 349.99 Dollars/Euros. And this is why such a price sounds so fishy. I'm expecting £349.99 / 399.99 Dollars as most realistic estimate. I can't see Sony pricing a device like PS4 so low, yen exchange or not yen exchange.

Well £300 is about $465 but that doesn't mean We'll be charged that much here in the US. If the Vita can be used as an example they'll be pretty similar numerically.

Right now a WIFI Vita goes for £259.99 at Game
http://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/ps-vita/?cm_sp=formatheader-_-PSVita-_-Consoles

A WIFI Vita goes for $250 at Gamestop.com and it's bundled with some stuff
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/ps-vita/systems?nav=131af-c4

That's a significant difference since £260 is roughly $400.

Here is the difference on Amazon and Amazon UK:

US = $250 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=vita

UK = £217 ($336) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0054Q82WI/

These are just examples of what a reteller sales these systems at. If the PS4 is £300 in the UK I would be surprised if it's more than $400 in the US.

£300 for a console = £250 + £50 tax in the uk. £250 = $388 then add on you tax in the U.S.

I never understood why people make a big deal about $50 more or less on a console and then go on to buy mutliple $60 games.

Because a lot of people think of prcies in terms of how much they'd ever be willing to spend on something. 50 dollars over the maximum that they'd be willing to spend is too much.

I know this is a PlayStation 4 thread, so forgive me. But since this is a thread about a new console coming out at a certain price in the UK, what would this mean for Wii U?And I don't just want to get comments saying "DEAD", since we get enough of them already, it just what price will WIi U have to go to?

Nintendo put itself in the odd position of needing to not only price-fight with PS4/Xbox but also with PS3 and 360. If they're not seen as a value against similarly powered consoles, they're going to forever be in trouble.

Sid

It means a price drop for WiiU this year.

Quixz

Currently have about £400 saved up for next gen. At £299 I could easily buy two games day one!

DO IT SONY!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Man, Sony just feels aggressive as hell right now. Its like they were sent to prison for being too hardcore beast mode with the PS2 and had to have a younger brother in the family run PS3 and all that portable shit. Now he's finally out on parole and looking to fuck everyone. EVERYONE.

Would mean a 100% necessary £100 price drop this year. Presumably in summer to have any effect. The price you bought it at through Amazon whoopsie is the price it should always have started at, one SKU too.

You say its game over for Sony if its over $400 but at the same time feel that its impossible to be under $400, hence you saying you would eat your monitor. Does mean Sony have lost regardless? Or am I reading it wrong?

I'm not serious either way, but I meant game over for Sony if they ask for more than $400 for this.

So you'll eat your monitor if its $399? That's going to be painful...

I will not be streaming this live. You'll just have to trust me. /cough

They won't announce a price this early.

I'm not sure. I think they should wait until MS announces a price, but I'm not sure if anyone has ever revealed a system without revealing its price.

Bumhead

Banned
400 dollars yikes - well less than the PS3 but still too much for my taste (at least for now).

If I can get more disposable income I'll get it in within 1 year or so otherwise 3 year plan lol.

In the UK we usually get a raw deal on technology conversion rates. The £/$ conversion often ends up being 1:1.

Id say a £299 UK PS4 is more likely to mean a $299 PS4, or maybe a $349 PS4, than $399.

Shahed

If it is £299, then I might even consider getting one at launch by trading in one of my PS3's. That's really cheap.

wotta

That's $399.99? That's not at all cheaper than I expected it to be?

I damn well hope they're not CONSIDERING that price either; better be that or lower or they're out.

These are powerful systems, they can't just give them away. £300 seems very reasonable to me.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
My bet is 599$

It's too early to tell, in my opinion. People believed that the 3DS was dead when Vita was revealed to retail at $250. A price drop might be necessary, but Wii U isn't done yet.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm not sure. I think they should wait until MS announces a price, but I'm not sure if anyone has ever revealed a system without revealing its price.

Everyone waits...usually.

We got a PS3 price a year after its announcement. Wii U's price came very close to launch. Same with Vita.

I think MS might have announced the 360 price more or less at the same time as its announcement? But that was later in the year than Feb...

Haunted

I don't think 400€ is all that cheap.

I paid 250€ for the Wii (w/ a game), 280€ for the PS3 (w/ a game), 180€ for the 360 (used, with a lot of games) and 260€ for the WiiU (w/o a game). That's my price range for consoles.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Because a lot of people think of prcies in terms of how much they'd ever be willing to spend on something. 50 dollars over the maximum that they'd be willing to spend is too much.

Yes, but it's nonsensical when you really think about it.

Man, Sony just feels aggressive as hell right now. Its like they were sent to prison for being too hardcore beast mode with the PS2 and had to have a younger brother in the family run PS3 and all that portable shit. Now he's finally out on parole and looking to fuck everyone. EVERYONE.

Pretty much. Where multiplayer is king controlling the UK and US is key to really takingdown on the english speaking side of things. I think they'd launch at that price cause of the sheer audacity and psychological impact of the price; it'd be huge. I think they'll say 'fuck the tax' and take the extra loss. Plus I'd bet on VAT falls at some point in the next few years, soon as that happens they can just increase their margin without anyone noticing and their still low priced.

With Japan as well they will always pull the bigger software profit than MS; they can do this and be profitable over the next few years.

I'd also point out the Vita threads all thought it'd be hugely expensive. Although it did overestimate the consoles power; I suspect people aren't appreciating that Orbis is going to be on a processor thats cheap; RAM (whilst fast) is still cheapish; and a good GPU but they'll have AMD on good terms there and its hardly cutting edge stuff.

Why not?

Omikaru

Vita: Announced in January 2011, no price until June 2011.
PS3: Announced in June 2005, no price until June 2006.
Wii U: Announced in June 2011, no price until September 2012.

Those are three I can name off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

Everyone waits...usually.

We got a PS3 price a year after its announcement. Wii U's price came very close to launch. Same with Vita.

I think MS might have announced the 360 price more or less at the same time as its announcement? But that was later in the year than Feb...

Oh wow, I did not remember this at all.

Vita: January 2011, no price until June 2011.
PS3: June 2005, no price until June 2006.
Wii U: Announced in June 2011, no price until September 2012.

Those are three I can name off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

Man, I don't remember any of this. Clearly I live under a rock.

Pie and Beans

It's too early to tell, in my opinion. People believed that the 3DS was dead when Vita was revealed to retail at $250. A price drop might be necessary, but Wii U isn't done yet.

In the UK the WiiU is a dead console right now. Essentially 0 momentum. I'm not sure how much longer retailers are going to even want it on store shelves with Sony and MS about to start nuclear war on the dance floor.

AirBrian

If Sony (and assuming MS) starts at $399 in the US, Nintendo will have some very difficult choices to make on where they want to sit the WiiU in terms of market perception and location.

Top Bottom