• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trade war has begun between the US and Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying this as a Canadian, the Canadian dairy industry is kind of ridiculous, and the Canadian dairy supply management squeezes regular Canadians even more than we already are being squeezed. I hate the protectionist stance the Canadian government has towards dairy here.

I cautiously welcome this move if it means the end result is more competition in the Canadian dairy industry.

I agree with you but American dairy should still follow our health regulations.

What I have learned about the softwood lumber dispute is that America can impose duties and there's not much Canada can do about it. Even if if the NAFTA court sides with Canada.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Well, I hope something helps the Canadian economy. It's going to shit.

?

All I've read in the last month is about how everyone is surprised and confused about Canada having the strongest economy in the g8 right now. What about the Canadian economy is going to shit?

gaugebozo

My Grandmother lived in Lansing, Michigan and always had bagged milk. We need to put our differences to rest so that we can focus on the real threat: the beavers.

Pedrito

Judging by Trump's previous actions, Trudeau could make this all go away by calling him to say Canada will help with North Korea and/or ISIS. Congratulate him on his ratings just to be sure.

?

All I've read in the last month is about how everyone is surprised and confused about Canada having the strongest economy in the g8 right now. What about the Canadian economy is going to shit?

On this website, it's usually measured by how expensive video games are.

Apathy

My Grandmother lived in Lansing, Michigan and always had bagged milk. We need to put our differences to rest so that we can focus on the real threat: the beavers.

Good good, focus on the beavers, ignore the fact we've weaponized geese and meese.

It is inevitable that one say the United States and Canada will form a North American Union.

The Canadian military is already pretty much under US command. The Canadian and American economies are almost as interwoven as the interstate economies. The culture gap between the US and Canada, at it's widest, is no wider than the gap between Louisiana and New York.

We are brothers from the same mother. We live on opposite sides of a duplex house. It's only a matter of time before economics and environment make it more rational to buy a larger house together.

sikkinixx

Saying this as a Canadian, the Canadian dairy industry is kind of ridiculous, and the Canadian dairy supply management squeezes regular Canadians even more than we already are being squeezed. I hate the protectionist stance the Canadian government has towards dairy here.

I cautiously welcome this move if it means the end result is more competition in the Canadian dairy industry.

Have you ever talked to dairy farmers? They don't make oodles of money but this helps keep them from being fucked over like American producers are by providing a stable income with stable demand.

kingslunk

It is inevitable that one say the United States and Canada will form a North American Union.

The Canadian military is already pretty much under US command. The Canadian and American economies are almost as interwoven as the interstate economies. The culture gap between the US and Canada, at it's widest, is no wider than the gap between Louisiana and New York.

Maybe in 16-20 years

Apathy

Have you ever talked to dairy farmers? They don't make oodles of money but this helps keep them from being fucked over like American producers are by providing a stable income with stable demand.

Also isn't it in place partially due to how many hormones US dairy farmers pump into their cows compared to Canadians

We are brothers from the same mother. We live on opposite sides of a duplex house. It's only a matter of time before economics and environment make it more rational to buy a larger house together.

If you said this a year ago I would've said yes, but now... Lol.

KorrZ

As a Canadian I would immediately leave the continent if we ever united with the United States.

Canada isn't perfect but we're several decades ahead of the U.S. in progressiveness. Recent events have made that blindingly evident...

RinsFury

If the Canadian military is under US command, then why didn't they invade Iraq?

As a Canadian I would immediately leave the continent if we ever united with the United States.

Canada isn't perfect but we're several decades ahead of the U.S. in progressiveness. Recent events have made that blindingly evident...
I don't predict a sublimation of Canada into the United States. I predict a new nation, composed of the best of both.

Ryuukan

Also isn't it in place partially due to how many hormones US dairy farmers pump into their cows compared to Canadians

the American public is very wary of hormones in milk, its nearly impossible to find milk in supermarkets that don't have a 'hormone-free disclaimer' for the past 10 years

even walmart only sells hormone-free milk

fakefaker

Canada will take California, Washington and Oregon and make a new country. The rest of the states can follow trump to whatever hell he wants to go.

Cactus

Banned
Why must maple syrup, bagged milk, hockey, and Tim Hortons be introduced to every single Canada-related thread on gaf?!

Tim Hortons is the biggest pile of garbage that should not be used an example of Canadian Pride.

I really don't understnad why Anglo-Canadians always briging up fuckin Tim Hortons are something to be proud of... it's low cost, poor quality, bottom of the barrel coffee

the majority stock holder of Tim Hortons and Burger King is 3G Capital located in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Cranster

Banned

LMAO, the fact that we never invaded Iraq disproves your assertion

If the Canadian military is under US command, then why didn't they invade Iraq?

LMAO, the fact that we never invaded Iraq disproves your assertion
I should clarify. The Canadian military, with its 30 ships, 300 planes, and 50,000 troops is like an extension of the National Guard. Extensive and complete interoperability on matters of defense of North America essentially make the militaries of the US and Canada one entity in the western hemisphere.

lol naw. Are you American? I only see crap like this from Americans. Please stop

kevin1025

Banned
Tim Hortons is the biggest pile of garbage that should not be used an example of Canadian Pride.

I really don't understnad why Anglo-Canadians always briging up fuckin Tim Hortons are something to be proud of... it's low cost, poor quality, bottom of the barrel coffee

the majority stock holder of Tim Hortons and Burger King is 3G Capital located in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

I think a Tim Hortons reference is the easy go-to still. We need a new one, since maple syrup and being nice and igloos have long faded!

NolbertoS

I'm still trying to understand this issue but as an American I'm siding with Canada on this.

As an ex-Forester, I'll clear this up with GAF, as rhe media pundits don't care on how all this started and it actually all started in a University setting. 30 plus years ago, the American and Canadian Industry was actually on good terms for the longest time. The boiling point came when a paper was published in Canada at a University comparing how much it costs to produce lumber between USA and Canada. The study, financed by American interests, showed that it was actually cheaper in Canada than USA to produce th wood, but what the author purposelly left out was that after Canadian tax conversion to US rates, and also lumber exports paid a duty tax to cross to the US anyways, American lumber was slighly cheaper. The study was flawed and the Canadian industry asked for a re-study, but the American lumber companies said No, thinking they didn't want to open a bigger can of worms, and have since then been advocating a flawed study. Even the World Trade Organization sided with Canada after they independently did a study and found American lumber barons were blowing hot air. That hasn't stopped the softtrade lumber wars thoigh. Since that day of bickering, Canada decided "fuck it" and now sell their wood to China and Japan. US is a big trading partner, but if they keep taxing Canadian products, China will gladly buy the raw materials. I think this war is far from over and I expect it to go to legal battles and litigation for the next 3-4 years like usual. In the end the lawyers win as the deal ends with a stalemate or the US realized it needs a shitload of lumber to keep the housing market going, but they tax all Canadian products so they eliminate the tax to get more materials in and 20 years later, the housing industry goes to shit and somebody yells "Tax Canadian raw materials"

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

According to StatsCan, average dairy farmer salary is a shade under 70k, which, taking everything into consideration, is not half bad and far more than many people would ever dream of making here.

This may be helping keep them from being slightly fucked over and is helping them keep their generous salaries, but it's at the expense of fucking over regular low income Canadian who have to deal with paying high and continuously rising prices for dairy products.

Edit: Supply management is literally driving tens of thousands of Canadians into poverty

m23

According to StatsCan, average dairy farmer salary is a shade under 70k, which, taking everything into consideration, is not half bad and far more than many people would ever dream of making here.

This may be helping keep them from being slightly fucked over and is helping them keep their generous salaries, but it's at the expense of fucking over regular low income Canadian who have to deal with paying high and continuously rising prices for dairy products.

Edit: Supply management is literally driving tens of thousands of Canadians into poverty

I don't know if just under 70k for a dairy farmer could be considered generous considering the amount of work involved for them.

Most American forests are privately owned?? That sounds awful wtf
I don't know what the numbers are for private ownership, but something like 14% of the land area of the US is protected forest or grassland (most of it is forest). This also comes out to around 1/10th of all protected land in the world, which is kind of a shame that protected areas are so small overall.

It's divied up at federal, state, and local level.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

That salary is actually pathetic when you consider their capital investment.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That salary is actually pathetic when you consider their capital investment.

That is their salary after adjusting for CCA. The average pre-CCA salary for dairy farmers in Canada in 2014 was over $104k.

Edit: And let's not forget that independent dairy farmers are an endangered species in Canada. Most dairy farms in Canada are now run by large monolithic farming enterprises who really don't need supply management to keep their monopoly and their business afloat.

Apathy

Seriously. I really only hear this "lol we own you anyway so just join us" attitude from Americans.

Stop this talk. It's condescending bullshit.

1023154.jpg

Seriously, no thank you, I would rather Canada stay on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom