• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trade war has begun between the US and Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

Have you ever stopped to realize a Constitution can be wrong? A Countries Constitution is a law like any other, and like all laws it is going to be flawed in some capacity. The only thing that makes it unique is that everybody has agreed upon the method upon which it can be changed, a method that is much more than the requirements of any other law (for good reason).

Laws can be wrong and usually when they are wrong they are eventually fixed. Many countries in the past have done it and continue to do it. Ireland did it in 2015 when they amended their constitution to legalize same-sex marriage, a provision that was initially written as illegal in their constitution.

The point is, there is nothing magical about a country's constitution. Like with Irelands having banning Same-Sex marriage before amendment, constitutions can be wrong and the USA Constitution definitely has its fair share of things that need to be fixed.

In my 20 years of being online and interacting with Americans, I can tell you that a huge portion of people do think one of 4 ways.

1. That the constitution can't be changed (despite the fact it has been, but hey, who the hell knows what they teach in schools)
2. That it's infallible like the founding fathers what was good in 1788 is good in 2017 (raising them to some sort of godhood)
3. It can be changed but it's too hard so why bother.
4. Hey it actually is a living document, the founding fathers were humans and made mistakes (and a lot were assholes) and we don't need to be tied to the past (very very few people make up this option).

Take your pick cause that's all I've really seen.

oneils

A lot of misinformation in this thread. Growth hormones are not permitted in dairy cows in both Canada and the US. Growth hormones are permitted in beef cattle in both Canada and the US.

Edit: my bad. rBST is permitted in American dairy cows. It's banned in Canada due to animal welfare concerns but not due to human health and safety concerns.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
A lot of misinformation in this thread. Growth hormones are not permitted in dairy cows in both Canada and the US. Growth hormones are permitted in beef cattle in both Canada and the US.

Bovine somatotropin (bST) is an animal drug approved by FDA to increase milk production in dairy cows. This drug is based on the growth hormone naturally produced in cattle.
https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/productsafetyinformation/ucm055435.htm

It's not allowed in Canadian milk at all. Also, antibiotics aren't allowed in Canadian milk while some is allowed in American milk.

EDIT: Just saw your edit.

oneils

https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/productsafetyinformation/ucm055435.htm

It's not allowed in Canadian milk at all. Also, antibiotics aren't allowed in Canadian milk while some is allowed in American milk.

EDIT: Just saw your edit.

Yeah, caught it before your post. I see people thinking that supply management bans the import of these products from the us. That's a whole other can of worms. But long story short supply management does not ban imports of these milk products. That's a whole other regime. Also it's important to note that health Canada deems rBST safe for humans but they have animal health concerns, so it's banned here. It's pretty complicated so I'm seeing why people, including me, are confused.

Edit: at the risk of adding to the conclusion, rbst is not permitted for use in dairy production in Canada. But, That's not the same as "it's not allowed in milk." We import milk from the us and as far as I know there is no maximum residue limit for rBST in milk. I'll be looking for more info on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom