• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trade war has begun between the US and Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

darscot

Anecdotal of course, but anti-American sentiment was definitely high during the Bush years and then came way down when Obama was elected. I don't think Canada is some special case of this, rather just a reflection of the typical world view on the US.

The Anti-American sentiment has been around forever, it definitely cycles with current administration or level of stupidity take your pick. During the Bush era at an NHL game the American anthem was booed from start to finish and people would refuse to stand. Then they would fucking belt out Oh Canada at the top of their lungs. That all stopped with Obama and some sanity appeared to return.

darscot

I think in this case, the nuclear deterrent would probably be enough. Most people thought Germany would never do anything as crazy as annex Austria, but when they did it, the simple reaction was "There, we did it, here's our reason, what are the rest of you going to do about it?" And no one did anything, not until they started expanding.

If America, which is a nuclear power, goes and does the same thing, I doubt a single nation on Earth, or even a coalition of them, would say "Let's risk a nuclear exchange and go to war for Canada."

As long as the US just stops there, most countries would say "Come on, it's Canada. Just let them have it."

As I've said, that's the absolute worst case scenario. It's only likely to happen if an extraordinary set of circumstances take place that force the US into that position. But, should it happen, I can't imagine other nations finding Canada annexation to be enough to take on the American military.

Please turn down the stupid, there isn't enough intelligence here to even troll.

Parch

Thats the same as the GOP assuming all Muslins are terrorist.
Of course we know all American aren't Republicans, but we have to treat the United States as a Republican entity because they're the ones making the political decisions for the entire country. Like it or not, Republicans are representing all Americans right now.

Canada can't trade negotiate with the American Democratic party. We have to deal with the Republicans because that's who you as a majority chose to represent your entire country.

kevin1025

Banned
I think in this case, the nuclear deterrent would probably be enough. Most people thought Germany would never do anything as crazy as annex Austria, but when they did it, the simple reaction was "There, we did it, here's our reason, what are the rest of you going to do about it?" And no one did anything, not until they started expanding.

If America, which is a nuclear power, goes and does the same thing, I doubt a single nation on Earth, or even a coalition of them, would say "Let's risk a nuclear exchange and go to war for Canada."

As long as the US just stops there, most countries would say "Come on, it's Canada. Just let them have it."

As I've said, that's the absolute worst case scenario. It's only likely to happen if an extraordinary set of circumstances take place that force the US into that position. But, should it happen, I can't imagine other nations finding Canada annexation to be enough to take on the American military.

This is something, all right.

Tbh it's hard to blame them. Look at some of the arrogance displayed in this thread, like saying that the US is in command of Canada's military, or that their country would be annexed easily.

There's arrogance on both sides, no doubt.

This is why Canadians laugh at and shake their heads.

That's their problem. Not respecting the laws and constitution of another country. The US constitution is the basis for its foundation. The bill of rights clearly states the enumerated rights and the rights of the states on the 9th and 10th amendment respectively. I think the power the states have to make their own laws and whatnot is one of the best things about the constitution, to be honest.

That's pure garbage and you know it.

Elaborate.

mmhmmm

If you want to talk about condescension, focus on Americans first. Canadian condescension towards Americans isn't even close to vise versa. Good will begets good will, respect is earned. There's a reason people all around the world are condescending towards Americans...it's because Americans are condescending AF. That's what happens when a large percentage of your population is ignorant and xenophobic. They start to believe in extreme American exceptionalism.

When did I say Americans aren't? I just said Canadians (online) are condescending as fuck. You say it's not close and I agree. Canadians are way more condescending than Americans. Your experience may vary though.

Hari Seldon

Jesus crust guys this is some minor shit with basically industry lobbyists on both sides lobbying their governments for better terms. They are 5% points apart, it will be worked out and life will go on lol.

kevin1025

Banned
Jesus crust guys this is some minor shit with basically industry lobbyists on both sides lobbying their governments for better terms. They are 5% points apart, it will be worked out and life will go on lol.

No, we must be annexed and be taken out with nuclear war over dairy and lumber, apparently!

darscot

That's their problem. Not respecting the laws and constitution of another country. The US constitution is the basis for its foundation. The bill of rights clearly states the enumerated rights and the rights of the states on the 9th and 10th amendment respectively. I think the power the states have to make their own laws and whatnot is one of the best things about the constitution, to be honest.

The number of times I have heard "But the constitution, but the amendment" Paper work is not an excuse for stupidity. You still squabbling over who has the right to fuck people over. Maybe you should focus on not fucking them over.

It has been interesting to see the hostility on both sides, threadwise.

The number of times I have heard "But the constitution, but the amendment" Paper work is not an excuse for stupidity. You still squabbling over who has the right to fuck people over. Maybe you should focus on not fucking them over.

Since corporations are people, people should become corporations! They seem to have more rights.

explodet

Sure, maybe it's minor shit, but it also made the Canadian dollar lose value against the US dollar today, like half a cent.

I don't want the CAD to be USD$0.68 again.

So if you want to change the constitution, then work to amend it and change it. Not ignore it. That makes so sense to me. Might as well say, "but the law" and then continue with your argument because it would be the same argument to me.

"State's rights" is a cop out argument favored by spineless republicans who are against basic human rights but won't come out and say it.
They'd rather "leave it to the states".
You honestly believe LBGTQ issues is simply a federal vs state argument? C'mon man.

States rights is the rights as per the 10th amendment of the US constitution. It's not a "cop out", whether you like it or not.

For the record, since you asked and were talking about those two things, I believe abortion should be a state's issues and everyone should be allowed to marry anyone they want, in every state, as long as that person is of age. However, a pastor/priest or whatever should not be forced to grant a gay couple a ceremony if they don't believe in gay marriage.

Awww we are resorting to "FTFY" responses now....

"State's rights" is a cop out argument favored by spineless republicans who are against basic human rights but won't come out and say it.
They'd rather "leave it to the states".
You honestly believe LBGTQ issues is simply a federal vs state argument? C'mon man.

States rights until we don't like what right you are giving.

darscot

So if you want to change the constitution, then work to amend it and change it. Not ignore it. That makes so sense to me. Might as well say, "but the law" and then continue with your argument because it would be the same argument to me.

I'm a Canuck, we are all sorted out on abortion, gay marriage, guns and health care. No excuses needed.

Apathy

Explains why you have 0 clue about the US constitution.

Well not all of you guys, I have just never had the same experience with a canadian IRL as I do online. You seem like a nice fella.

We know what states rights are. What hes saying and what you don't seem to get is that leaving important issues to "state rights" is the dumbest thing you can possibly do, specially when you have backwards ass states.

bremon

Today I learned I'm condescending as fuck.
Well, we are. Did you forget we have a military fetish, defend hate under the guise of free speech, care more about the right to own guns than the rights of people who look different than us, condone meddling in other people's affairs the world over, and believe we are superior to all through sheer force of will and god given talent re: exceptionalism? That's the Canada you live in, right? Isn't it? No? Me neither. Maybe some rural Albertan or Manitoban sees it that way though, who's to say lol.

kevin1025

Banned
Well not all of you guys, I have just never had the same experience with a canadian IRL as I do online. You seem like a nice fella.

Haha, it's cool. There's always going to be some iffy people, no matter where they are from!

Well, we are. Did you forget we have a military fetish, defend hate under the guise of free speech, care more about the right to own guns than the rights of people who look different than us, condone meddling in other people's affairs the world over, and believe we are superior to all through sheer force of will and god given talent re: exceptionalism? That's the Canada you live in, right? Isn't it? No? Me neither. Maybe some rural Albertan or Manitoban sees it that way though, who's to say lol.

It's the Canada some far-right conservatives on Facebook live in. It's scary over there.

We know what states rights are. What hes saying and what you don't seem to get is that leaving important issues to "state rights" is the dumbest thing you can possibly do, specially when you have backwards ass states.

Then leave the backward ass states or change the constitution. That's what you don't seem to get. I would never live in Kansas or West Virginia.

:( Is someone angry? Maybe back up your claims with facts and no one will reply to your shit posts with shit posts

I'm filling with anger because Buba Big Guns replied a FTFY response and then asked for facts after he provided none. He then claims my posts are shitty but can't stop responding to them. That just makes me so angry!

Boylamite

For the record, since you asked and were talking about those two things, I believe abortion should be a state's issues and everyone should be allowed to marry anyone they want, in every state, as long as that person is of age. However, a pastor/priest or whatever should not be forced to grant a gay couple a ceremony if they don't believe in gay marriage.
No offense but I don't really care what your personal stance is on the issue, at least not in the context of this discussion.
All I know is I see the richest nation on earth, unable to come to grips with things that should absolutely NOT be an issue in 2017.
No universal health care?
No mandatory vacation/sick days?
No mandatory parental leave?
STILL fighting over abortion and LGBTQ rights?
The list goes on and on, and frankly, it's sickening.

I don't need to know all the details of your constitution to say that your country needs to get its priorities straight. How any American can argue against any of these things just blows my mind. It's honestly shocking how far behind you are on this stuff. And your "president" wants to build a wall and mass report Muslims? THIS is why it' s hard not to look at your country as a whole and think you guys are a mess.

Again, not all Americans, blah blah blah.

Hari Seldon

The theory is that if you leave states wide leeway then states can learn from one another. So for example if a state legalizes weed and another states see that it is not an apocalypse and in fact is a great financial boon from taxes and less people in prison, other states will join in. If state lawmakers fuck up and pass a bad law then other states can see that it was a mistake and the damage is localized. The major problem is with civil rights of course, because no one wants a small group of states oppressing people. So yeah, "states rights" is both good and bad. In general I think it does more good than bad, but when it is bad it is really fucking bad.

Madness

Nah they are right, some Canadians do honestly believe they are better on everything and above Americans. But honestly, don't pretend Americans don't do the same for others. Hell some American thumb their nose down at fellow American in other states ie. Florida etc.

But just note, there is a way to do things. Your American President would rather call you guys fellow killers rather than agree Putin was one. He could not even shake Merkel's hand. You are losing respect, diplomacy the world over. This is something that will not come back, even if 4 years from now you vote Trump out. All you are doing is alienating allies left and right. If it is that big stick you hope will force the world to bend to the US whim, the sticks of China and India are growing twice as fast, and will inevitably grow as large.

Parch

If it is that big stick you hope will force the world to bend to the US whim, the sticks of China and India are growing twice as fast, and will inevitably grow as large.
It's the world's allied sticks that are much more powerful than one big stick.

Economic sanctions are a stick too.

I'm filling with anger because Buba Big Guns replied a FTFY response and then asked for claims after he provided none. He then claims my posts are shitty but can't stop responding to them. That just makes me so angry!

😬 Last I checked you made your claims first. Anecdote vs anecdote...who wins?

Anyways you are clearly upset. If you're gonna make a generalization make sure you can back it up and people won't be so hard on you, and your feelings won't get hurt.

This thread is weird as fuck.

And fuck Chuck Schumer.

The world needs to make a pact. Instead of America waving its dick around and bullying everyone, if the US installs new trade barriers on any one country, then everyone in the pact is obligated is to put on a tit for tat on US exports. That would get them to stop.

No offense but I don't really care what your personal stance is on the issue, at least not in the context of this discussion.
All I know is I see the richest nation on earth, unable to come to grips with things that should absolutely NOT be an issue in 2017.
No universal health care?
No mandatory vacation/sick days?
No mandatory parental leave?
STILL fighting over abortion and LGBTQ rights?
The list goes on and on, and frankly, it's sickening.

I don't need to know all the details of your constitution to say that your country needs to get its priorities straight. How any American can argue against any of these things just blows my mind. It's honestly shocking how far behind you are on this stuff. And your "president" wants to build a wall and mass report Muslims? THIS is why ut' s hard not to look at your country as a whole and think you guys are a mess.

Again, not all Americans, blah blah blah.

There are plenty of problems in America, vacation/parental leave to some employees is one of them (the vast majority of people do get those, but it's not required by law). We already talked about abortion rights and gay marriage rights, and you dislike the states rights that we have under our constitution. That's okay and that's your right, but it doesn't change the facts. I don't think there's much more to talk about here.

😬 Last I checked you made your claims first. Anecdote vs anecdote...who wins?

Anyways you are clearly upset. If you're gonna make a generalization make sure you can back it up and people won't be so hard on you, and your feelings won't get hurt.

Clearly I am! I don't know how I got my feelings hurt so bad. Damn you! I made claims first! I know you are, but what am I?

Dude, I don't know what facts you are asking me to provide, to be honest.

one of these seems worse than the other..

I agree. How can bagged milk still be a thing in 2017?

Apathy

The theory is that if you leave states wide leeway then states can learn from one another. So for example if a state legalizes weed and another states see that it is not an apocalypse and in fact is a great financial boon from taxes and less people in prison, other states will join in. If state lawmakers fuck up and pass a bad law then other states can see that it was a mistake and the damage is localized. The major problem is with civil rights of course, because no one wants a small group of states oppressing people. So yeah, "states rights" is both good and bad. In general I think it does more good than bad, but when it is bad it is really fucking bad.

Of course in theory it could work perfectly if we didn't have the human factor always messing things up. And like you said, civil rights is a clear example of how states rights is just a terrible option. People think it's an extreme though and in reality it would very much be happening right now if it weren't for the federal government stepping in. Hell it continues to this day with the LGBTQ community getting oppressed because of states rights.

Madness

It's the world's allied sticks that are much more powerful than one big stick.

Economic sanctions are a stick too.

True. Militarily the Soviet Union was technically stronger than the US in the early 80's and was the world's second largest economy. By the end of the 80's, the Soviet Union was collapsing without a single shot fired.

The US is being challenged economically and militarily by China. An already bloated military is being increaed by $55 billion at a time when the deficit is trillions of dollars. Canada isn't the one screwing the US over sime dairy and lumber. Whatever, other countries can also enact protectionist measure against US farming and automobile subsidies. I honestly hope Canada scraps plans to buy the F35 Stealth fighter which is a bloated piece of shit. Cancels the FA-18 Super Hornet stop gap as well.

Boils my blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dFMOGraxek

Trade goes both ways, I'm willing to go on a trade war if that's with the Cheeto wants.

How would this affect the CAD?

The US is being challenged economically and militarily by China. An already bloated military is being increaed by $55 billion at a time when the deficit is trillions of dollars.

I'm not sure that will pass, since to do it they are going to cut a shit tone. Then again I do have an orange president.

True. Militarily the Soviet Union was technically stronger than the US in the early 80's and was the world's second largest economy. By the end of the 80's, the Soviet Union was collapsing without a single shot fired.

The US is being challenged economically and militarily by China. An already bloated military is being increaed by $55 billion at a time when the deficit is trillions of dollars. Canada isn't the one screwing the US over sime dairy and lumber. Whatever, other countries can also enact protectionist measure against US farming and automobile subsidies. I honestly hope Canada scraps plans to buy the F35 Stealth fighter which is a bloated piece of shit. Cancels the FA-18 Super Hornet stop gap as well.

Not true, the USSR in the 80s was not Stronger militarily than the US and was not an economic powerhouse

the USSR was on a decline and much reform was done later that decade under Gorbachev to try to get things back on track; the USSR was not in a position of strength relaisticly besides that posturing at the time

Hopeford

I'll be honest - before reading this thread I did not know this many people in the US were so okay with the idea of invading and annexing my country. It genuinely unnerves me because this is a very, very liberal forum, so it scares me when I imagine what the more conservative side thinks about Canada. Like, Jesus. I know/hope most of the thread is joking about it, but is that...really a thing to joke about? I guess people are joking or just thinking about worst case scenarios that even they don't really believe will happen, but geez.

Either way, back on topic, I hope Trump doesn't win this negotiation. Canada's laws are more than fair and less focused on profit. I'm happyish with how they work. I don't want Trump encroaching on that.

Then again, on brighter news, between CETA and talks of trading with China, hopefully things will be looking up for Canada.

djkimothy

]How would this affect the CAD?[/B]

I'm not sure that will pass, since to do it they are going to cut a shit tone. Then again I do have an orange president.

This will sink the CAD a bit (how much? i don't know) since we are a resource based economy. the job losses will have the larger impact in the economy as a whole.

Then again, on brighter news, between CETA and talks of trading with China, hopefully things will be looking up for Canada.

Unfortunately a trade deal with China is years away and won't have an impact until a few years after it is in effect. And CETA isn't in full force until a few years from this month. I thought tariffs were dropping this month. I haven't heard news yet. Last I heard the ball was in Canada's court as the EU voted already in Parliament in March.

Madness

Not true, the USSR in the 80s was not Stronger militarily than the US and was not an economic powerhouse

the USSR was on a decline and much reform was done later that decade under Gorbachev to try to get things back on track; the USSR was not in a position of strength relaisticly besides that posturing at the time

This is patently false. I said the early 1980's, in 1980 the Soviet Union was the second largest economy both nominal and PPP. Japan was not ahead of it yet. Sure it had its own issues and was stagnating since the 70's. It saw the issues that it would have which is why they needed reform as Japan and Germany was hot on its heels economically.

Also yes many military strategists stated conventionally and unconventionally the USSR had surpassed the US in the late 70's to early 80's and Reagan then used that, plus fear to drive through his massive remilitarization and star wars program etc.

You saying the USSR was not an economic powerhouse due to low growth or stagnation is like saying Japan isn't an economic powerhouse or even the US today because they have high deficits with little growth.

Hopeford

Unfortunately a trade deal with China is years away and won't have an impact until a few years after it is in effect. And CETA isn't in full force until a few years from this month. I thought tariffs were dropping this month. I haven't heard news yet. Last I heard the ball was in Canada's court as the EU voted already in Parliament in March.

I meant more as in the general future of the country than any short-term future, but yeah, you're right. Trade with China would take a long time, but it's a direction I'm very happy with. CETA will take less time to take effect, but I think it's supposed to be implemented gradually, no? So while we won't see its full effects for a couple years, I think something happening throughout/within 7 years is close to "immediately" as far as foreign policy goes.

djkimothy

I meant more as in the general future of the country than any short-term future, but yeah, you're right. Trade with China would take a long time, but it's a direction I'm very happy with. CETA will take less time to take effect, but I think it's supposed to be implemented gradually, no? So while we won't see its full effects for a couple years, I think something happening throughout/within 7 years is close to "immediately" as far as foreign policy goes.

Yah, I think for CETA, the immediate effects will be that "99% of the tariffs will be dropped." I don't know if the immediate provisions also include bidding on government contracts and such. A gradual roll out is what I read as well. I just forget what the details were since it's been a while since it was on the news.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, the US is now an unreliable trading partner and we have to look outside our shores for new economic partnerships. The EU was a great start.

China will be a huge market, I understand there's concerns with buyouts of high tech firms for cyber security and also that they will largely write the rules. But it's a market thats difficult to ignore. And it will hopefully lead to more investments in Canada. TPP was supposed to mitigate China's influence. But the American people thought this was a better outcome...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom