• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The U.S. House Erupts Into Chaos After LGBT Protection Amendment Narrowly Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if all you do is bitch on the Internet but don't actually send your congressmen some letters or don't vote then it is a waste.
Your letter is sent to a central address or opened by an intern who has no political experience. Said letter is than forwarded to the Congressman's Legislative Corespondent. The LC's job is to first, find out if the person writing is a constituent. If the author is not, the letter is disregarded. If the person does live in the district the staffer reads the letter and then figures out which form letter to send back to the constituent. If no form letter exists, the LC speaks to the Legislative Assistant in the office who covers that particular issue. The LA will either write the form letter themselves, ask the LC to write something up, or get an intern to do it. The letter is then sent up the chain to the LA for approval then on to the Chief of Staff for final approval. Once final approval is given the form letter is placed into the mail system waiting for another constituent to write a letter or email on the same or similar topic. At most, your writing a letter will go into a tally. Some Members of Congress will ask how many for and against letters were received, but usually all interaction ends at matching the form letter to the issue.

Your Congressman may handle it slightly different but for the majority of Congressional offices, this is how its done.

Also, for anyone interested, the LC is usually the first real job many folks in politics ever have. Most are kids who just graduated from college or promoted staff assistants (the people at the front desk that greet you when you walk into the office.) Most, if not all LC's are using the position to get promoted to be a Legislative Assistant. Salary for an LC is usually around $21K-$25K a year.

What the fuck

The majority of those listed are Californians? They live in one of the most liberal places in the US. How the fuck are they so backward?

Something a lot of people don't understand is that "liberal states" are really just states with the biggest cities in them. Urban areas are liberal, suburban and rural areas are conservative. Liberals are highly concentrated whereas conservatives cover by far the most land mass.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
And when you don't vote during the midterm elections, this is what happens. Stop getting mad at the Republican party for doing what they were elected to do and focus on electing your own party instead.
A representative should first be concerned about the well being of their nation and district. They should make the right decision, not the popular one among their district.

Every single vote by every member of Congress affects the course of the nation. They do a disservice to all of us to limit the input for their decisions to members of their inner circles and district boundaries.

What the fuck

The majority of those listed are Californians? They live in one of the most liberal places in the US. How the fuck are they so backward?

You aren't from California are you? You're forgetting that it's a huge state that consists of way more than just LA and the Bay Area. There's a lot more and it mostly sucks. It's not all the liberal paradise you think it is.

Breads

Banned
And here I thought with the last election the GOP was finally realizing that they had to be nicer to poc and the lgbtq community and they were slightly, if begrudgingly, getting more and more socially progressive in their ways in order to attract a more diverse vote.

Thanks to Trump emboldening the GOP base it looks like America is on it's way to becoming 'great' again.

I had to explain this to a friend of mine who was seemingly liberal but has now become a Trump/Kasich supporter.

He's gay and gravitated towards leftist politics because gay rights were a big issue to him. But he says, "Now that gay rights have been achieved, I switched my party designation to Republican."

The sad part is that many people are going to believe that everything is settled now. But in reality, the GOP will continue to chip away at LGBT at every chance they get.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Your letter is sent to a central address or opened by an intern who has no political experience. Said letter is than forwarded to the Congressman's Legislative Corespondent. The LC's job is to first, find out if the person writing is a constituent. If the author is not, the letter is disregarded. If the person does live in the district the staffer reads the letter and then figures out which form letter to send back to the constituent. If no form letter exists, the LC speaks to the Legislative Assistant in the office who covers that particular issue. The LA will either write the form letter themselves, ask the LC to write something up, or get an intern to do it. The letter is then sent up the chain to the LA for approval then on to the Chief of Staff for final approval. Once final approval is given the form letter is placed into the mail system waiting for another constituent to write a letter or email on the same or similar topic. At most, your writing a letter will go into a tally. Some Members of Congress will ask how many for and against letters were received, but usually all interaction ends at matching the form letter to the issue.

Your Congressman may handle it slightly different but for the majority of Congressional offices, this is how its done.

Also, for anyone interested, the LC is usually the first real job many folks in politics ever have. Most are kids who just graduated from college or promoted staff assistants (the people at the front desk that greet you when you walk into the office.) Most, if not all LC's are using the position to get promoted to be a Legislative Assistant. Salary for an LC is usually around $21K-$25K a year.

This, and for the record I've always voted, and sent letters to my shitty as congress people.

Does jack shit though .

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I had to explain this to a friend of mine who was seemingly liberal but has now become a Trump/Kasich supporter.

He's gay and gravitated towards leftist politics because gay rights were a big issue to him. But he says, "Now that gay rights have been achieved, I switched my party designation to Republican."

The sad part is that many people are going to believe that everything is settled now. But in reality, the GOP will continue to chip away at LGBT at every chance they get.

basically "fuck you, I've got mine" mentality. Gross.

Not all of California is Liberal. Most of Central California and Inland Empire is pretty conservative overall.

People forget that LA, San Diego and San Francisco =/= California. Those are three cities(liberal cities) in a big, long state. Those three also happen to be closer to the Pacific Ocean. Go east from those cities and you'll end up in desert and farmland(especially central California).

Your friend is an asshole.

Armaros

It's not just rural areas either, we have Duncan Hunter for at least part of San Diego county and he was one of those nay votes.

Hate how vile these people want to be about this. :/

Or how Orange County is one of the most conservative counties in the entire nation. Hence the Trump rally there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Those are the 5 Non-voting Democrats that could have gotten this passed.

That's not how close votes work; GOP party leadership would have leaned on or more other members to fail the vote. Say you're a Republican in a pretty progressive, gay-friendly district. Your instinct is going to be vote yes on this. But if the party needed your vote, they might compel you to vote no. If the Democrats have five absences, that's 5 fewer Republicans the leadership needs to whip--and thus five fewer favours they owe later.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I wouldn't be surprised if the thought at play was "looks like it has enough votes to pass so I'll change my vote to placate my base".

I remember when Reddit was a decent source to spread this info. I went to politics hoping people would be discussing it. Nope, Hillary is reviving Hitler instead.

Back to the point, utterly disappointing news that shows that the fight isn't just for the presidency. Regaining the House, albeit difficult, is absolutely necessary for the Democrats.

Maz

Im not from the US so bear with me, I dont understand why people are angry at the representitves in the house/senate. Technically they are supposed to represent the interest of the people that voted them in office. I think the anger is misplaced, you should be more concerned that a large percentage of citizens voted for them in the first place.

Edit: What I mean is that you cant fault a person for doing what he was voted to do. Blame the people that supported/voted for him.

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about politics

You aren't from California are you? You're forgetting that it's a huge state that consists of way more than just LA and the Bay Area. There's a lot more and it mostly sucks. It's not all the liberal paradise you think it is.

Yup, I live in the Central Valley and I see some confederate flags on car bumpers from time to time.

Maledict

How is it even possible that American people vote in this disgusting party - its just truly a farce from a Euro perspective.

People deserve better than this absolutely horrible party.

When we say Euro perspective, do we mean:

Austria, where a far right candidate just won the recent elections?

France, where the National front is a legitimate contender that forces the other two main parties to combine to beat them? Who will almost certainly beat the left wing party intothe run off for the presidential election?

Germany, where gay marriage is still not legal and the chancellor believes marriage is between a man and a woman?

Italy, that only just legalized civil partnerships two weeks ago?

The U.K., where UKIP received the third highest number of votes in our last election after their leader talked of refugees with AIDS draining the NHS?

Finland, where the far right wing Finns party is now in government?

We Europeans have to face up to the fact that our shit stinks as well. We don't have the same crazy religious / libertarian angle that exists in the USA, but we're just as happy to vote in right wing parties to tear apart the state and discriminate based on skin color, gender and sexuality.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The modern republican party is utterly and entirely without any reasonable or positive aspects. Even if a miracle happened and it did fracture after November, there isn't a single fucking thing worth salvaging.

But what's the significance of the change? It would not have passed if they'd been voting Nay from the start anyway, right?

A lot of those Republicans are probably in districts that are gay friendly and aren't assured reelection. By allowing enough of them to vote in favor of the bill to just barely make it fail, 29 Republicans are now spared from future attack ads pointing out that they voted to continue allowing discrimination in the workplace.

A lot of those Republicans are probably in districts that are gay friendly and aren't assured reelection. By allowing enough of them to vote in favor of the bill to just barely make it fail, 29 Republicans are now spared from future attack ads pointing out that they voted to continue allowing discrimination in the workplace.

But... what's the significance of the change from Yay to Nay (which appears to be the crux of what this thread's about).

...But they DIDN'T vote nay from the start. It failed BECAUSE they changed their votes.

Lol, I feel like we're going around in circles. I know they didn't, my point is that they clearly had the numbers to get this passed. So there were never any circumstances in which this wouldn't has passed. Given that, what's the relevance of the change? I genuinely thought I was confused about the workings of the parliament (I'm not American) and that this little sneaky trick enabled them to pass a bill that would otherwise have failed, but it seems like that's not the case.

Gaardus

Lol, I feel like we're going around in circles. I know they didn't, my point is that they clearly had the numbers to get this passed. So there were never any circumstances in which this wouldn't has passed. Given that, what's the relevance of the change? I genuinely thought I was confused about the workings of the parliament (I'm not American) and that this little sneaky trick enabled them to pass a bill that would otherwise have failed, but it seems like that's not the case.
Before the change, there were enough votes for it to pass. Afterward, there were NOT enough votes for the bill to pass. The bill did not pass.

laoni

So, in a previous bill on Defence that was passed, someone snuck in a law dismantling anti-discrimination laws against LBGT people in the workplace (Known as a 'rider', because it rides an unrelated bill to get passed.)

The vote on this was to repeal that rider, keeping the anti-discrimination laws in place, and protecting LBGT workers. However, because of the GOP's shenanigans, what was a vote successfully repealing the rider failed. The rider stays passed

I'm Australian so this may be wrong but this seems to be my understanding of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom