• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

oh yeah the only leave voter at my work had his first day back today after the weekend, proudly proclaiming we can get rid of the migrants now, get the money back from the EU that we lose each week, and that boris as prime minister will be brilliant as he's a right laugh

bearing in mind 75% of our office staff is european, the company owners are european and middle eastern and our workforce is mostly reliant on immigration....it didn't go down well.

edit: oh yeah the scottish dude annihilated him.

Zaph

Where do a sign up to be a citizen of the United States of Europe?

Sounds far more appealing than our current situation.

Let's jump off this train with absolutely zero plan... who cares how many halal shops get petrol bombed or German women get pelted with shit because of my vote. I'm second generation so I got mine!

Oh do not worry once they have finished with the Poles, Muslims, Germans and Romanians there will be plenty of time for other immigrants to be next in line for abuse or petrol bombing or dog shitting.

Crumpo

Maybe the leave voters looked at what is on the horizon which is an EU superstate ruled from Brussels and thought nah fuck that I'll take the hit and jump off this train.

Nope, the leave voters actually have a number of more nuanced reasons to vote (ignored by Westminster, lied to about NHS funding, being told to fear immigrants)...I'd love to know how many even know what the three structures of the EU are, let alone what they think it'll become.

Nobody can deny that the future of the EU is a superstate where national identities no longer exist. They want a United States of Europe.

Lots of people have denied this.

Biggzy

oh yeah the only leave voter at my work had his first day back today after the weekend, proudly proclaiming we can get rid of the migrants now, get the money back from the EU that we lose each week, and that boris as prime minister will be brilliant as he's a right laugh

bear in mind 75% of our office staff is european, the company owners are european and middle eastern and our workforce is mostly reliant on immigration....it didn't go down well.

Can you please ask him how he feels in two years time when good ol'Boris has to explain to the nation the bad deal he has struck with the EU.

I can not read this post without writing something that will get me banned.
Let's stick to this, it works with everything about this mess :
CgosRfx.jpg

bearing in mind 75% of our office staff is european, the company owners are european and middle eastern and our workforce is mostly reliant on immigration....it didn't go down well.

edit: oh yeah the scottish dude annihilated him.

I wish there was video of this.

Famassu

Wow I thought the meltdowns would have subsided by now, I'm impressed.

Maybe the leave voters looked at what is on the horizon which is an EU superstate ruled from Brussels and thought nah fuck that I'll take the hit and jump off this train.

Nobody can deny that the future of the EU is a superstate where national identities no longer exist. They want a United States of Europe.

I for one don't want that and that's as a 2nd Generation Immigrant.

But never mind any of that, please do carry on with your hyperbole, hypocritical, patronising temper tantrum.
So what if it is? It wasn't going to be happening any time soon or with how EU is currently. If it's going to happen, then it needs to happen in a way that everyone (not just Brussels) is happy, so acting all hysterical and doing the dumbest fucking thing imaginable as if it could happen next week and with UK being dragged into it against their will is laughable. Don't vote yourself out of EU for some dumb, hyperbolic, hypothetical fear that isn't even all that concrete yet. If EU still is the kind of thing that you don't want to be a closer-knit part of when USE is actually maybe possibly happening, THEN vote yourself out of EU, but don't do it decades before when it's not anywhere near happening.

Humanity goes forward by cooperation, not by parts of it idiotically shutting themselves out. Your country joined the fucking union in the past BECAUSE your fellow countrymen in the past noticed that being outside it was much worse than being a part of it.

But never mind any of that, please do carry on with your hyperbole, hypocritical, patronising temper tantrum.

Fake edit: Cute profile pic :)

Takes some second generation balls to tell people they can't feel aggrieved at their lives getting worse because of posturing, or losing jobs.

Nordicus

The current situation is effectively EEA since we still have to play by EU rules while they freeze our PM out of meetings and strip the UK of any influence.
That's when things can really be decided by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels like the Leave campaign said! :D

Rich!

Can you please ask him how he feels in two years time when good ol'Boris has to explain to the nation the bad deal he has struck with the EU.

he was asked that. he was asked how he could expect someone like him to make trade negotiations

he responded by getting up a video of boris on the zipwire on his phone

Bla bla bla.
Leave voters voted against immigration and to stick it to the man.

Okay. No other reasons apparently.

They absolutely can. Please fuck off away with your drive-by sneers.

Drive by? Uhhhh been fairly active in a few threads actually, funnily enough, the same threads that you e been having major meltdowns in. Are you okay?

this post represents the amount of additional posts added to this thread by immigrants. Without immigrants this thread would be much smoother. Do we really want this thread rushing to 20k without any control?

#takebackcontrol

Hmmm you posted something different before. No real point in replying to this.

A lot of people can deny that, actually.

Just like remainers believe leavers are idiots for voting leave, I believe anyone who doesn't think that a EU superstate is on the horizon is an idiot.

Am I allowed to do that or is being able to call someone an idiot only allowed by one side?

I can not read this post without writing something that will get me banned.

Kinda surprised you've not been banned already along with others. You could probably wing it and get away with it :D

NEEXXXXTTTTT!

Hold on to tight to that self-righteous delusion, it's probably the only thing that's going to get you through the next decade.

More insults. Honestly can you guys not put together some decent replies?

I thought outrage culture was bad on the internet but on GAF? I'm surprised. Thought there was an opportunity for at least some civil discourse, obviously not. Maybe in a few more days.

EmiPrime

*screaming internally*

Jasup

The current situation is effectively EEA since we still have to play by EU rules while they freeze our PM out of meetings and strip the UK of any influence.

No, the UK is still in the EU and same rules apply as before. Until the negotiations have ended with the EU regarding the exit, this won't change. UK still has influence, still can vote in the council, still has MEP's in the parliament etc. etc.

EEA countries don't have any of that.

Crispy75

ELI5 please.

Cameron was against the leave movement right? why did he call the referendum? just to appeal to voters?

His own party, and his electorate, are historically split on the issue. He promised a referendum in the general election campaign in order to appeal to both sides. The idea was that the result would be an easy Remain victory, so he could say "I tried" and then carry on as normal. He gambled and lost. The fucking plum.

Jisgsaw

More insults. Honestly can you guys not put together some decent replies?

I thought outrage culture was bad on the internet but on GAF? I'm surprised. Thought there was an opportunity for at least some civil discourse, obviously not. Maybe in a few more days.

You carefully avoid every non insulting response you got, so I think you're pretty well versed in outrage culture.

Juicy Bob

David Cameron is failing in his duty to keep Britons safe.

This current growing level of racism and xenophobia needs to be addressed ASAP as a matter of national urgency before it gets worse.

'Outrage culture'. People have a right to be fucking outraged that their lives have been changed for the worse. Don't expect people to just fall in line when the shit hasn't even fully hit the fan yet.

Tosyn_88

There needs to be an implementation of a law that attaches consequences to free speech esp for people who are in position of influence. I cannot believe a person like Farage can stand there knowing that he has been irresponsible, outright scheming and a lying pig. I'm surprised he hasn't been arrested for public disruption and locked in a gulag where no one will miss him. He can actually try his hardest to be fighting to bring down the EU along with the economies of 27 countries, jobs and livelihoods. This guy is an outright cancer to society, because the consequences of this doesn't end in Europe, it reaches America too, Asia and even Africa indirectly, I mean how in the world has he not been found wanting

BahamutPT

No, the UK is still in the EU and same rules apply as before. Until the negotiations have ended with the EU regarding the exit, this won't change. UK still has influence, still can vote in the council, still has MEP's in the parliament etc. etc.

EEA countries don't have any of that.

The first part is correct, regarding the current situation... But once the UK notifies the Council (Art. 50) they lose all influence in Council decisions.

Dartastic

😂

You can't be serious.

Kathian

Banned
I don't mean to sound pretty but since Stephen Crabby was announced as a contender all I've seen his full profile shots of how short he is. He's tiny!

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Calling out hyperbole while beeing super hyperbolic.

pigeon

Banned
The best part about the United States of Europe argument is that the suggestion is that the EU will rapidly merge into a hugely powerful and influential megastate and therefore the best place to be is on the OUTSIDE of that megastate, literally floating off the coast and heavily dependent on it for things like food.

I feel like there are a few steps missing there. Even in the worst case scenario, wouldn't it be better to be a charter member of the evil empire?

Jasup

The first part is correct, regarding the current situation... But once the UK notifies the Council (Art. 50) they lose all influence in Council decisions.

Sorry, my mistake, you're right. MEP's are still there though as the article 50 doesn't concern European Parliament.

BahamutPT

Sorry, my mistake, you're right. MEP's are still there though as the article 50 doesn't concern European Parliament.

Yep... Although, to be fair, I don't think MEPs will have much leverage when arguing EU issues if/once the decision to leave is formalized.

Armaros

The best part about the United States of Europe argument is that the suggestion is that the EU will rapidly merge into a hugely powerful and influential megastate and therefore the best place to be is on the OUTSIDE of that megastate, literally floating off the coast and heavily dependent on it for things like food.

I feel like there are a few steps missing there. Even in the worst case scenario, wouldn't it be better to be a charter member of the evil empire?

Also that the EU is weak enough that the UK will be able to get favorable post-Brexit trade deals (IE everything they have now but with less stipulations) but the EU is strong enough for Leavers to scaremonger about how the EU was going to change the UK for the worse.

I'm looking forward to the tantrums the leave voters will have when the realise they're getting none of the things they wanted.

Oh wait, not I'm not, because one group of people is more likely to express themselves in more... 'hyperbolic' ways than voicing dissatisfaction with words on the internet

BBC quoting Le Pen as saying 'Brexit like the fall of the Berlin wall'.

To say these arrogant populists rile me up is a little bit of an understatement.

TheFatOne

lol This lady on sky news is saying it takes years when doing trade deals within the EU, but country to country is much faster. Could be done in six months. Holy shit that is Republican levels of delusion. Thought that sort of delusional thinking was contained within the US. Godspeed UK gaf.

oti

Banned
BBC quoting Le Pen as saying 'Brexit like the fall of the Berlin wall'.

To say these arrogant populists rile me up is a little bit of an understatement.

IIRC she said something along the lines of this being the biggest event in Europe since the fall of the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom