• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ungodly Creatures Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wark

GDGF

Soothsayer
subzero9285 said:
Solifugae also known as camel spiders, wind scorpions.

Solifugae are not true spiders, which are from a different order, Araneae. Like scorpions and harvestmen, they belong to a distinct arachnid order.

The infamous photograph.

camel-spider.jpg

I saw that Baer dude eat on of these things in Man vs Wild. I fear ye not, freaky spider of the desert.

Madagascan Ghost Mantid

This insect blends in to the background perfectly when on plants. The jagged outline breaks up its shape, and even close up it looks like a dead leaf.

2074203650_55bfbc8b51.jpg

mantid-brown-02.gif

mantis.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This thread has made me realize humans aren't nearly as good at wiping out entire species as the liberal media would have you believe. Unfortunately. :(

Wallach said:
FUCK the entire ocean, I swear to god. What's even worse is that there is still a ton of life down there that we have never discovered. You know why Cthulhu sleeps beneath the waves? Because fuck the ocean, that's why.

We really should just nuke it.

Merguson

Banned
Oblivion said:
This thread has made me realize humans aren't nearly as good at wiping out entire species as the liberal media would have you believe. Unfortunately. :(

We really should just nuke it.

Dude you don't want some goddamn mutant monster erupt from the ocean which turns out to be an evolved form of a sea creature that would be larger than any known animal.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
This thread is awesome... always been fascinated by creatures of the world since reading Childcraft as a kid...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Merguson said:
Dude you don't want some goddamn mutant monster erupt from the ocean which turns out to be an evolved form of a sea creature that would be larger than any known animal.

Good point, but think about it like this. Would you rather fight one giant radioactive monster (even if he IS very big) or millions of these extremely dangerous as well as extremely innocuous little fuckers swimming around stealing your salmon?

Merguson

Banned
Oblivion said:
Good point, but think about it like this. Would you rather fight one giant radioactive monster (even if he IS very big) or millions of these extremely dangerous as well as extremely innocuous little fuckers swimming around stealing your salmon?

Salmon? You've got a point, but what if it is a salmon monster? We could have lots of salmon.

Kenka

I was really peeing my pants in the beginning but damn, this thread keeps being more more and more interesting ! I learnt so many things, good job GAF !

Insertia

giant_isopod-s480x350-2309-580.jpg

Will never get over how creepy this thing looks. It looks like it knows you're looking at it.

Fuck this thread to hell.

KO Traveling Hobo said:
Maybe it's just 'cause I'm tired and heavily medicated, but I was cracking up at that whole Honey Badger video. Dude's like a fucking crackhead, diving into that swarming bee hive to get the honey, then eating it while the bees are still going apeshit all around him. :lol

Then he almost dies from that snake's poison, only to wake up and continue eating the damn thing. :lol

Holy fuck! :lol New favorite animal confirmed!
:lol :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
Insertia said:
giant_isopod-s480x350-2309-580.jpg

Will never get over how creepy this thing looks. It looks like it knows you're looking at it.

Fuck this thread to hell.

That thing is fucking awesome. I want to don a dope ass space suit and declare it my arch nemesis.

wRATH2x

Banned
Retro said:
... I thought you had MS Painted an apathetic face into the image.... I am shocked to see that it occurs in nature.

I was like why was that picture shopped,I'm happy that I'm wrong,tremendously happy!

Flying Gurnard

The flying gurnard is a marine fish notable for their large pectoral fins. They have also been observed to "walk" along sandy sea floors while looking for crustaceans and other small invertebrates by using their pelvic fins.

1207602238sUJ3nrh.jpg

FLYING_GURNARD-JG.jpg

_ORI0453copy.jpg

Tripod Fish

The tripod fish gets its name from the three extra-long fins extending from its body. It uses these like stilts to keep its body just above the surface of the sea floor. Then it sits and waits to ambush any passing prey. When the prey comes within range, the tripod fish pounces on it.

apr11_10_52_35_04.jpg

Tripod-fish-2.jpg

Mohonky

Wrath2X said:
Another Komodo Dragon lover I see,if it wasn't for their venoms and toxins and their razor sharped claws,I'd keep one as a pet.

They don't actually have any venom but instead have really hardcore bacteria they store in their mouth. They don't usually grab an animal and kill it; instead a single bite is usually enough to infect it's prey with an infection so bad it'll kill it. Then the Komodo simply moves in feasts on the carcass.

Mobula

Mobula is a genus of ray that can glide high up in the air. They belong to the family Myliobatidae or commonly called eagle rays. They resemble the appearance of Manta rays which are in the same family. It has been reported that Mobula rays in the Gulf of California can breach as high as 2 meters above the sea.

mobula2b.jpg

mobula4b.jpg

Manta6BAR_468x489.jpg

448px-Mobula_breach_2.jpg

mobula_rays_mex_TANAKA_Juuyoh.jpg

Dead Man

Metroid Killer said:
Superb Bird of paradise
Not creepy, but really weird...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/425244572_ca5989ff96.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gAxbxxmYZ8&feature=related"]Youtube video of its fucked up dance[/URL][/QUOTE]
That's awesome. Another strange bird mating behaviour: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Bsu4z9Y3k"] Moonwalking[/URL]

Teknoman

subzero9285 said:
Mobula

Mobula is a genus of ray that can glide high up in the air. They belong to the family Myliobatidae or commonly called eagle rays. They resemble the appearance of Manta rays which are in the same family. It has been reported that Mobula rays in the Gulf of California can breach as high as 2 meters above the sea.

mobula2b.jpg

mobula4b.jpg

Manta6BAR_468x489.jpg

448px-Mobula_breach_2.jpg

mobula_rays_mex_TANAKA_Juuyoh.jpg

Wait, it can actually glide in the air for awhile? Or does it just jump out of the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom