• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

Trigger

It autosaves after each chapter in an episode for sure. I don't think there's a specific symbol, but I've honestly never stopped during an episode. The Telltale forums may have an answer.

Is there any clear indication that there's been an auto save? I'm afraid to quit.
There should be a symbol that looks like a buffering video symbol appear in a corner. At least, on PC version, that shows up.

My general rule of thumb is to make sure I have 2/3 hours free when I want to play an episode out of fear of messing up my progress as well, hahaha.

I've tried to download episode 2 like 10 times but it never works (OSX). It either gets to 99% and stops and never gets to 100% or it just plain crashes. The download is slow as hell, on top of that, so making an attempt takes like 2 hours anyway.

I really want to play this game, but I can't.
----
Edit:
Trying this fix:
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33233

Funny that the files download in less than a minute from those direct links.

---
okay the fix works. Yay

LaneDS

Posted this in the spoiler thread since I somehow missed that this thread existed, if anyone has any advice (even if it's "sorry, gotta replay episode 1") it would be appreciated-

Clearly not the best place to ask, but I didn't see an OT for the game after going back a few pages in the search results.

Anyway, I bought the season pass on Steam and played through episode 1, but when I started up episode 2 all of my choices were seemingly tossed out the window. Are there any save game editors or simply saved games I can use to start episode 2 with at least an approximate version of the game I was playing? Probably won't replay all of episode 1 even though it was enjoyable.

It sounds like you're suffering the same save bug problem I have.

Okay, before doing anything I tell you below, be absolutely certain you back these files up every time before changing anything.

The problem lies with their "prefs.prop" file for the game. There are two locations of this file, and one of them doesn't update to the version the other does at the end of the episode. The first is located in your C drive in the Steam->Steamapps->Common->Telltale. I'm not exactly sure where it is, but look for the prefs.prop file. The second is located in your MyDocuments->Telltale->TheWalkingDead folder.

I don't know which it will be, but one of them will be a more current file (look at the date/time it was created/modified). COPY THESE FILES SOMEWHERE SAFE FIRST. Be sure to make note of which prefs.prop file is in which location.
What you will need to do is copy and replace the newest version of the prefs.prop file and replace the one that is older. As I said, I don't remember which one it will be, but just replace the appropriate file.

Try starting the episode again and it should have carried your choices over.

BE AWARE. YOU WILL NEED TO DO THIS FOR EVERY SINGLE EPISODE.
I have had this issue every single episode, so be sure to keep up with backing up your prefs.prop and save files at the end of each episode. I don't know if it will carry over if you immediately start the next chapter, so be safe.

LaneDS

Excellent (albeit annoying that I've got to do that).

I'm assuming if I started into episode 2 even a few choices past the first autosave I'm probably SOL, eh? Either way, thank you for the response.

Uh, you might could delete the save files the game makes that you did for episode 2?

Once again, back everything up, but it could be worth trying. Keeping your choices is the whole point, right? : P

LaneDS

When I sit down to play again I will back up what I have and try the methods you laid out, and even if I have to go through from episode 2 onwards with different choices that won't be so bad.

Thanks again, either way!

Gaaraz

Hi guys,

Halloween Horror Nights at Universal has made me keen to give this game (or rather all of them!) a try, I've been keeping up with the reviews at Metro and they sound amazing, and the kind of thing my girlfriend would like too, so unfortunately that rules out the PC version (huddled around my desk on a 22" monitor isn't appealing)

So... that leaves just the console versions, and the iPad version - which is better? Pardon my ignorance but would in the iPad's case it necessarily even remember your progress from previous episodes? Leaning towards the Xbox 360 version, would that be a mistake?

Roto13

Hi guys,

Halloween Horror Nights at Universal has made me keen to give this game (or rather all of them!) a try, I've been keeping up with the reviews at Metro and they sound amazing, and the kind of thing my girlfriend would like too, so unfortunately that rules out the PC version (huddled around my desk on a 22" monitor isn't appealing)

So... that leaves just the console versions, and the iPad version - which is better? Pardon my ignorance but would in the iPad's case it necessarily even remember your progress from previous episodes? Leaning towards the Xbox 360 version, would that be a mistake?

The console version is a whole episode ahead of the iOS version. :p

The PS3 version has a season pass which is $5 cheaper than buying each episode separately on the Xbox 360 version, so maybe go with that one if you have the choice. Xbox 360 will be fine otherwise.

Isaccard

Just got this off Steam; while I don't regret the purchase (yet) I've read this games had it's share of hiccups, regarding saves.

ced

I finally caved and played EP1 for PSN.

What the fuck is up with the stuttering during dialog choices and combat choices, it's horribly distracting and game ruining for me. It will pause up to a second even when punching or hitting a zombie, it can kill me at times.

Is this just a the game engine shortcoming or my PS3?

Roto13

I finally caved and played EP1 for PSN.

What the fuck is up with the stuttering during dialog choices and combat choices, it's horribly distracting and game ruining for me. It will pause up to a second even when punching or hitting a zombie, it can kill me at times.

Is this just a the game engine shortcoming or my PS3?

The game isn't very smooth on any platform.

But if it's actually ruining the game for you, I pity you.

Thanks, Telltale! You erased my save game progress on the PC version through the first 2 and a half episodes. I've tried Googling with no luck, but is there a website out there that has save files with descriptions of decisions made in prior episodes? I don't even mind losing half of my progress in Chapter 3, but I'm done with this game if I can only get my choices back by playing through the first two chapters again.

eyeless

quoting my post in another thread since it didn't get any responses.
i just finished episode one and on the stat screen it said i sided with
larry
when very plainly i did not (
kenny
thanked me and i got text that said
kenny
will remember your loyalty or whatever). googling and finding people who experienced the same thing seems to tell me that in episode two
kenny
will then be pissed at me for not siding with him. obviously this whole game is about choices so if it's going to register opposite choices and play out like that then what is the fucking point. i really don't feel like playing it again so this sucks, but if there is a way to make sure it registers my actual choice i'd really like to know. i never imagined there would be unpatched bugs when this came out in april. anyone experience this bug or have any solution?
saw typographenia's suggestion above but unfortunately i only have one 'prefs.prop' in documents, none in the steamapps folder. i think i am going to move on to something else for now (unless someone has a solution in this thread.) really fucking sucks, because i don't even know when i would come back to it if there isn't a solution. i don't want to play through it again and i'm certainly not going to if there isn't a way to ensure it doesn't happen again. and i'll say it again, i can't believe this came out in april and still has no patch or even a statement or acknowledgment. really sucks.

dc89

Episode 3

that bitch just shot one of my favourite characters in the head. Left her for The Walkers

Fuck this game. too depressing.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Any word on when Episode 5 is coming out? Should be soon seeing as the retail version should be out in a few weeks right?

Jake

I don't know the official ep 5 date but I know it's not super far off. I think we'll be making date announcements in the reasonably near future.

The retail disc will have the complete season on it.

Berto

I'm playing and... it's amazing! Episode 1 was really promissing, but the incredible episode 2 really took it to GOTY territory! Episode 3 was just too depressing, jesus =( I'm loving it, now to episode 4! :D

Einbroch

Banned
Just getting into episode two, and I really liked
...Kenny......
but now he's kind of an ass.

I'm so engrossed. Playing straight through.

Einbroch

Banned
Early Episode 3 spoilers:

WHAT THE FUCK
LILLY JESUS CHRIST. I'm only letting you back on so I can hopefully kill you myself.

Man, fuck this group. Clem and Lee only.

Einbroch

Banned
GotY. Played all four chapters today. Unless the last chapter is complete garbage I don't see how any game beats this.

I'm blown away.

Chapter four spoilers:

I let Ben go. I knew she was Clem's friend, but that kid was nothing but trouble.

Trigger

Lawd, why won't this download faster!
r4CiE.png

Hey guys, so i finally cracked and decided to play this series because everyone keeps praising it. Can you help me decide between the following platforms:

• PS3
  • 2012 Macbook Air (1,8 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM)

Which version is the best? Also would i have to worry about that save bug on the mac version, or is that PC only?

Consoles have had the least amount of complaints IMO, but they all perform fine. Pick what's most convenient.

I'm looking at the season pass on the playstation store right now. Actually, it seems like i can't even get it on the Xbox because of region bullshit (Germany).

So unless someone convinces me to get the mac version, i'll go PS3. TRY AND STOP ME GAF

hank_tree

So I just booted up episode 5 on my 360. When it started it loaded Episode 1. And then Episode 1 overwrote my only save. Awesome.

Edit: Ok exiting the game and retrying episode 5 seems to have fixed it. Phew. Was really worried there for a minute.

Okay so I finally broke down and got this game for PC. I want to use a controller, I know I have to map the keys to the buttons, so what keys will I need to map besides WDAS & Q? I want it to play similar to the console versions.

Any help?

Okay so I finally broke down and got this game for PC. I want to use a controller, I know I have to map the keys to the buttons, so what keys will I need to map besides WDAS & Q? I want it to play similar to the console versions.

Any help?

No mapping. It has controller support.

I've only heard of that game very recently. It might be the only game from 2012 that I enjoy playing. Apart from the lack of translation (seriously? It's 2012 for God's sake!), lack of a 'skip/fast-forward' button and the stiff controls, it's fucking awesome. Some craaaaaazy situations and 'OH SHIT!' moments.

Top Bottom