• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Wow, I always joked would want a fat friend during a zombie Apocalypse for the same reason, but didn't think someone would actually do it.

Wow, Shane, wow.

That was definitely some coldblooded shit but lets be real. Either both die and Carl probably dies, or Shane pulls some coldblooded shit and he lives and Carl probably lives.

Crazy situation though. He could have at least shot fat dude in the head though lol.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Best episode in a while. Only can really complain about the varying zombie speeds matching exactly how damaged Shane & Otis' legs were, but I'll let it slide because Shane finally Broke Bad.

Grisby

So, good episode. I enjoyed how it was kind of about Shane and Andrea staying with the group.

And then Shane pulled that shit. Great ending. I also liked how it was mostly at night.

Ultratech

-Pyromaniac- said:
That was definitely some coldblooded shit but lets be real. Either both die and Carl probably dies, or Shane pulls some coldblooded shit and he lives and Carl probably lives.

Crazy situation though. He could have at least shot fat dude in the head though lol.

Yeah, my sister was making that same argument. She was basically saying they were both gonna die, so Shane decides to drop him so he can get away and save Shane.

Sure as hell don't agree with that, but to keep him alive while he's being eaten...
That's utterly fucked up.

Saw it coming from miles away. This show continues to be mediocre. Way to draw out this whole "kid needs urgent surgery" arc.

Also, the heavy handed "he saw the deer!" shit had me rolling my eyes.

JoeBoy101

Thought the episode was a bit 'meh'. Too little happening where the whole Shane/Otis thing could have been done in the opening 10 minutes. Just felt a bit of a waste. Plus the preview is not getting me excited, because the whole 'search for Sophia' is getting way too forced. At some point, don't you ask whether is risking too many lives?

Or maybe that will be part of the show next week. I will say that I was impressed with the subject of the dialogue more, especially with Lori wondering whether they should let Carl live.

demosthenes said:
Yeah, why not shoot in the head? Zombies don't want dead meat?

Probably, but there is a darker reason too I imagine. When you get eaten alive, I imagine it will take a little while to die, and if you're screaming, that will bring more zombies.

r9svm.jpg

Videos:
- Inside Episode 3: "Save the Last One"
- Sneak Peek at Episode 4: "Cherokee Rose" (please spoiler tag any discussion)

Reviews:
- Sepinwall

I'll repost with the Onion A|V Club review and the promo for next week once I see them.

Wow. Just when I was ready to say, "I guess I don't actually hate Shane that much," too.

Best episode this season so far. Yay at Glen actually getting a scene or two for himself.

ThisWreckage said:
Saw it coming from miles away. This show continues to be mediocre. Way to draw out this whole "kid needs urgent surgery" arc.

I will admit I had to force myself not to groan at that part.

AcciDante

ThisWreckage said:

Yeah, I'm getting pretty fed up with it. The zombie action this episode was indeed awesome, but the story continues to go nowhere. They could've made the pilot like 15 minutes longer than normal and packed everything important up to this point in one episode.

-Mikey-

ThisWreckage said:

Probably the best couple of lines in the series!

JoeBoy101 said:
Thought the episode was a bit 'meh'. Too little happening where the whole Shane/Otis thing could have been done in the opening 10 minutes. Just felt a bit of a waste. Plus the preview is not getting me excited, because the whole 'search for Sophia' is getting way too forced. At some point, don't you ask whether is risking too many lives?

Or maybe that will be part of the show next week. I will say that I was impressed with the subject of the dialogue more, especially with Lori wondering whether they should let Carl live.

Looks like they're finally giving up on searching for Sophia based on the preview.

-PXG-

Shane didn't do it to save Carl. He did it for his ego. Just like he did when he took Rick's wife and kid. Did it for himself to make him into a hero. He talks all this shit about leaving, but he doesn't. He wants others to care about him just so he feels important.

He's a dick. And a great one at that.

JoeBoy101

AcciDante said:
Yeah, I'm getting pretty fed up with it. The zombie action this episode was indeed awesome, but the story continues to go nowhere. They could've made the pilot like 15 minutes longer than normal and packed everything important up to this point in one episode.

This. I really want the show to succeed, but its trying to much on the drama on characters we're not invested enough on.

SpeedingUptoStop

Not too excited about the groups coming together again as everyone being split up works way better, particularly that monologue and montage stuff they're working on .

-PXG- said:
Shane didn't do it to save Carl. He did it for his ego. Just like he did when he took Rick's wife and kid. Did it for himself to make him into a hero. He talks all this shit about leaving, but he doesn't. He wants others to care about him just so he feels important.

I call bullshit on this one. I think he could do it for his ego and to save Carl. They go hand in hand. Why separate them. He clearly fought tooth and nail (tooth and hair) to get the bags off of Otis before escaping. Whatever his motives were, his course of actions had the best possible outcome.

SpeedingUptoStop

-PXG- said:

Yea, this was the biggest move to a 3 dimensional character this show has done. I'll buy it, especially if they keep it up.

-PXG- said:

Agreed. I was lukewarm on the LOVE TRIANGLE stuff I saw them setting up early in the show, but it's actually becoming sort of interesting.

Motherfuck Shane, btw.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I call bullshit on this one. I think he could do it for his ego and to save Carl. They go hand in hand. Why separate them. He clearly fought tooth and nail (tooth and hair) to get the bags off of Otis before escaping. Whatever his motives were, his course of actions had the best possible outcome.

He wants Lori. He needs Carl to "have" Lori. And I think he wanted to be the father figure, too. All of that was "unfairly" taken away from him, and he's gone a little bonkers because of that.

Shane is the Gaius Balter (BSG) of this series. He's all about power and self preservation and he will do anything and everything to come out on top.

Night_Trekker said:
He wants Lori. He needs Carl to "have" Lori. And I think he wanted to be the father figure, too. All of that was "unfairly" taken away from him, and he's gone a little bonkers because of that.
I'm not denying any motives though. I'm just saying it's possible he wanted both, everything indicates that he did. Bottom line is, what he did saved his and in-turn Carl's life, when the other options were probably the death of him and Otis and Carl. Whether he did it for his ego or not doesn't matter so much, is what I'm arguing. I'm not defending his character, I'm just saying he did what needed to be done/did the best course of action to ensure more people live.

-PXG-

-Pyromaniac- said:
Yes, they go hand in hand, but ultimately, his actions are meant to please himself. Shaving his head was just a gesture oh him attempting to absolve homself of wrong doing, to hide that he's selfish and twisted.

Also, remember Rick's voice over about Shane stealing the principal's car? Yeah...he ain't such a good guy.

-PXG- said:
Yes, they go hand in hand, but ultimately, his actions are meant to please himself. Shaving his head was just a gesture oh him attempting to absolve homself of wrong doing, to hide that he's selfish and twisted.

Also, remember Rick's voice over about Shane stealing the principal's car? Yeah...he ain't such a good guy.
he's a shady guy for sure. But he still did the wrong (but right/best, logically speaking) thing to do.

EYEL1NER

ThisWreckage said:
Saw it coming from miles away.
As did I. As soon as he showed up alone, I said aloud to my wife,
"Oh shit, he shot Otis and left him to cover his escape!"
But it didn't ruin anything for me. I'm still enjoying the show.

royalan

To the "Wahhhh, why do you guys have to bitch? Can't you just have mindless fun? Wahhhh"

THIS is why we bitch.

Because the show is capable of episodes like this.

That was easily the best episode since the pilot.

They established the tension from the very first shot and didn't let up. They developed the characters and let the drama unfold without freezing the action to do it. There wasn't a single moment this episode that made me want to roll my eyes (well...except for Glenn being oblivious to the chick all but throwing her p****y at him).

I didn't realize how much I'd grown to like Otis until Shane was driving back without him.

That closing scene? Brilliant.

Frank Darabont...Good riddance.

-PXG- said:
Rick tries to save everyone. Shane looks out for himself.
like I said, motives are irrelevant, he logically went with the course of action that would save more lives. No one is denying that dude is mad shady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom