• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoy101

Night_Trekker said:
Indeed. I like to think I would have checked that damn ambulance sitting there in the background before I risked the supply building, but you know...

Two weeks I've seen this now. I doubt they could get everything they need from one ambulance, assuming it wasn't damaged or ransacked to begin with. That and that ambulance was pretty open to the horde. Their rummaging through it would be pretty obvious.

Az987

all good things
Attackthebase said:
Now, I won't have to deal with anymore fat people in my zombie show.

lol

I guess no one watches Talking Dead here, its so bad. Why do they need a talk show for The Walking Dead?

It says its live and they have a phone number you can call to ask questions. I'm tempted to call and ask Jon Heder why he hasn't made Napoleon Dynamite 2 yet.

Reposting this with the promo for next week added.

r9svm.jpg

Videos:
- Inside Episode 3: "Save the Last One"
- Sneak Peek at Episode 4: "Cherokee Rose" (please spoiler tag any discussion)
- Promo for next week's episode (please spoiler tag any discussion)

Reviews:
- Sepinwall

EDIT:
- Onion A|V Club review

JoeBoy101 said:
Two weeks I've seen this now. I doubt they could get everything they need from one ambulance, assuming it wasn't damaged or ransacked to begin with. That and that ambulance was pretty open to the horde. Their rummaging through it would be pretty obvious.

But they didn't even check it? Come on. Just give me a 5 second image of them exiting it after a scene change or something.

OmniGamer

Any Shirtless Somber Syco Shane screenies out yet?

He was certainly looking better here than in ABC's "Eastwick" a couple of years ago...Mmmm

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Much much better episode from this season. Shane...evil mofo...love it.I didn't expect him to waste ammo on Otis considering the situation and his strictness over conserving ammunition. Also, that corny religious monologue coming from Glenn and annoying crying lady...we could do without. So overall less corny/cringing religious monologues and more zombies as well as Shane becoming psychotic to build that suspense that we're starved from. One more thing, I heard the Walking Dead got renewed for another season...true?

Helmholtz

Mostly mediocre episode with a great ending. Also some good darryl scenes.
I saw the ending coming from a mile away though, and I'm not sure why. As soon as Shane came back alone I said "yep, he killed the guy". Didn't even seem very telegraphed but I just had a feeling.

-PXG- said:
Shane didn't do it to save Carl. He did it for his ego. Just like he did when he took Rick's wife and kid. Did it for himself to make him into a hero. He talks all this shit about leaving, but he doesn't. He wants others to care about him just so he feels important.

He's a dick. And a great one at that.
I get this feeling too. I think Otis had a good shot at getting out of there with Shane, hell they were almost at the bus and were walking at relatively the same pace. They even had enough time to struggle with each other over the backpack and such. I think Shane just wanted to look like the lone survivor to impress Lori and everyone else. Probably the best thing that's happened in this season and possibly the whole show.

Does anyone else think the actor that plays Shane is pretty bad? The faces he makes are exaggerated and ridiculous. As was his limp in this episode. There were also some weird shots in this episode. I thought the shot where Otis jumped off the bleachers looked awkward, and there was a scene where a zombie was moving in a strange motion that looked like fast forward. Small things that bother me that got overlooked. Not trying to pick it apart, I'm a huge fan of the comics and will continue watching, just saying.

bwahhhhh

Shane living up to the reputation of "police officers named Shane in one hour dramas"

they'll betray you in the worst way possible.

How is Shane evil by killing Otis? You telling me NONE of you would kill someone to keep yourself alive, and to a greater effect, saving a young child in the process? Both of them would have died if Shane didn't decide to shoot Otis, and the brat would've died too.

And guys, it's not like Shane is laughing his ass off that he killed Otis, it's pretty noticeable that killing Otis had a strong emotional impact upon Shane's character.

Attackthebase said:
How is Shane evil by killing Otis? You telling me NONE of you would kill someone to keep yourself alive, and to a greater effect, saving a young child in the process? Both of them would have died if Shane didn't decide to shoot Otis, and the brat would've died too.

We don't know that. They were both moving at the same pace not to mention they had time to fight before the zombies even got to Otis.

And guys, it's not like Shane is laughing his ass off that he killed Otis, it's pretty noticeable that killing Otis had a strong emotional impact upon Shane's character.

It only means he's human it doesn't excuse him of his actions.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Shane has always been interesting, he's finally starting to get hard...this is the point when people will start to see very little crying.

Prologue

Attackthebase said:

Could have killed him self instead.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pretty good, I think it was an improvement over last week for sure.

I did not expect Otis to die so quickly. I figured that he would be one of the important new characters this season. And in a way, he really was; I assume his death will fuel conflict between the farm people and the season 1 gang, not to mention Shane struggling with what he did.

Obviously, the beginning with Shane (so hot btw) shaving his head hinted that something happened, but because I so strongly assumed that Otis would last a while longer, I didn't work out what happened until Shane came back alone. Then it was very easy to piece together what had happened.

It's a little annoying that the little girl is still lost in the woods though. I think that Carl living will be a sign of hope for everyone (obv) but then they will find out that the little girl is dead/a zombie, so it will balance things out emotionally.

But whether she's dead or alive, eventually they're going to have to move on from the highway. Move on to the farm, but what then? I guess they're still going to go to the Fort? And I assume that there will be some people that will want to stay at the farm, too.

Probably Glenn, who, by the way, finally got some stuff (and maybe someone) to do today!

I also liked the scene between Daryl and Andrea in the woods. Nice little bit of characterization for both.

But what was Dale doing when he left Carol on the roof of the RV? Was he anxiously looking for Andrea? For the little girl? Going to the bathroom?

RatskyWatsky said:
It's a little annoying that the little girl is still lost in the woods though. I think that Carl living will be a sign of hope for everyone (obv) but then they will find out that the little girl is dead/a zombie, so it will balance things out emotionally.

It's a little bit annoying (especially since both her AND Merle are still missing), but I'm not too bothered considering how little time has passed. The end of this episode was less than 24 hours after the first episode, right?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
For a moment there, I thought Shane got bit on the head by the zombie that was holding on to him at the school windows.

Darryl continues to be my favorite character.

Prologue said:
Could have killed him self instead.

The only person in the group who would even consider killing himself to save a stranger would be Rick, and that's even a stretch.

Both Otis and Shane were exhausted, there was a low chance of them making it together, but Shane's actions made sense considering the circumstance. (Also, one must consider the randomness of the zombies. Sometime they'll walk at a slow pace, other times, they'll haul ass.)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Eggplant Wizard said:
It's a little bit annoying (especially since both her AND Merle are still missing), but I'm not too bothered considering how little time has passed. The end of this episode was less than 24 hours after the first episode, right?

I thought that it has been several days?

Dai101 said:
HOLY HSIT, Shane just went full mental. That was in cold blood and in no way for survival.
it was survival. otis was so slow he was as fast as shane with a badly hurt leg they where not going to make it... and they wouldnt be in that situation if it wasnt for him. im sure it was a "fuck where not going to make it, sorry." moment. but still not cool lol

SamuraiX-

I really like how the producer described Shane's character.

You may not like him or his style of doing things, but his "humanity" is what's gonna keep the group alive.

Regardless, that whole scene was so damn uncomforting to watch. That might just be Season 2's defining moment.

AnkitT

MrGame&Watch said:
Anyone else think Shane thought Otis would buy him time because it would take awhile for the zombies to eat Otis?
I thought that's what they were going for?

Anyways, I liked this episode. Hope the momentum carries forward to the next episodes.

Cystm

MrGame&Watch said:
Anyone else think Shane thought Otis would buy him time because it would take awhile for the zombies to eat Otis?

They had two bullets left each and were on their last legs. He made the call that had to be made to survive. He used Otis to buy himself time to escape. It just came to that, and I don't think if it had not, that Shane would not have tried to save Otis.

Rikyfree

Fantastic episode. I honestly understand why Shane did it. I do. I can't say I wouldn't have in the same situation. But just the way he did it was so cold and unfeeling, I really feel he's gone off the reservation, so to speak. In which case it kind of does follow the comics in the sense that he's losing it.

Puddles

Banned
Hmm...

Not sure exactly where they're going to be taking the story from here on out. Some major plot developments are going to be difficult to do at this point due to the show not laying any of the necessary groundwork.

Comic-related spoilers and discussion:

Comic characters who should be present at this point, but aren't: Allen + family, Tyrese + family, Hershel's young daughters, Hershel's son. Furthermore, Otis doesn't die this early.

Characters either not in the comics at all or not present at this point: T-Dawg, Shane, Darryl.

Without the rest of Hershel's family, it looks like the idea of Hershel keeping zombies in the barn is going to be difficult. They can still do it, but there are no characters they can kill of in that scene. Not a huge deal. However, this would seem to relegate Hershel to minor-character status. In the comics he basically loses his entire family, one after the other, in horrifying fashion. And without the daughters, the prison story-arc loses a MAJOR plot point.

The Wiltshire Estates scenes can still be done, although I have a feeling they're going to skip this entirely, which I guess would mean that Allen won't be in the show at all. They can always add Allen + family in an upcoming episode.

I'm not sure what they're going to do for the prison story. Tyrese is absolutely critical to that arc. T-Dawg isn't really a great substitute, and without Tyrese's daughter and her boyfriend, they'll have to come up with a different way to show how everyone who dies comes back as a zombie even if they aren't bitten.

Shane still being present at this point isn't a huge problem. Having an extra character is much easier to work around than not having an important character at all.

I know that the show is trying to be its own thing, kinda different from the comics, but unless they're going to abandon the comics story altogether (which would be a terrible idea IMO), they're going to have to start laying the groundwork for some of these plot developments soon.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Gowans007 said:
As a Dad I find the Carl stuff really gets to me, man brutal!
Same. Hard to watch, envisioning any of my boys in that situation.

I'm not faulting Shane for his actions, btw. Not condoning it, but the situation - and necessity of a screaming, writhing Otis to distract the walkers as bait, sorry but a bullet in the head wouldn't be enough - demanded it. He's a much more interesting character now and I'm really looking forward to seeing where the show takes this. All in all, I'm enjoying this season a lot more than the previous one.

Soule

Why shoot him in the leg? Surely in the head is more humane and also eliminates the struggle to get the gear, I'm guessing because the zombies will lose their appetite if their meal isn't fighting back? Oh well such is the mindset of a FUCKING PSYCHO, they totes coulda both made it :\

GavinGT said:
I find it really hard to believe that this girl would fall for
Glenn

So even when the world has gone to hell and a women's choices of men in there late 20's are extremely limited, the Asian man should still gets shitted on? No, not this time. This time we have Glenn, he will rise up, get a piece of that ass and make all of us proud.

PersonaX

Soule said:
Why shoot him in the leg? Surely in the head is more humane and also eliminates the struggle to get the gear, I'm guessing because the zombies will lose their appetite if their meal isn't fighting back? Oh well such is the mindset of a FUCKING PSYCHO, they totes coulda both made it :\

To take the attention of the zombies, disabled man kicking and screaming will keep the zombies busy.

Wanace

Holy shit. This episode single-handedly brought me back into the show.

Shane's actions were just brutal. Unbelievable. Can't wait to see what happens now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom