• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Vlodril said:
Shane shooting Otis would be a more justifiable if he didn't take ten steps and then arrive at the bus. I mean come on..
I actually like the fact that it's NOT justifiable given that they were both THAT CLOSE from making it out of there intact with the supplies.

Almost like Shane had subconsciously premeditated that he would be the only one returning back alive from the "suicide run" to the school.

Didn't he initially shoot down the idea of Otis accompanying him last ep when he wanted to play hero for Lori until Otis rationalized that Shane would have no idea how to pick out the medical gear Herschel had requested?

I'm not suggesting that Shane is totally at peace with his decision... clearly he isn't. But it WAS a decision. He chose to sacrifice Otis and it wasn't to save Carl or save himself. It was a purely selfish decision. And that's what makes it all the more compelling. ;)

scar tissue said:
The last webisode featured it as well, iirc. Not being eaten completely, but a good deal.

Ending was sick, but i'd have done the same in shane's position. It was him or no-one.
I think we have enough evidence to dispute this point now. Shane will argue it was a necessary action to save two lives when/if he gets caught in this lie due to slip-up/security camera footage/off-screen eyewitness. Getaway vehicle was just too conveniently close by. I don't buy it. They could have both made it out.

Zee-Row said:
I think this is the first episode where a human character had been eaten on screen. I've been waiting for that.
The last webisode featured it as well, iirc. Not being eaten completely, but a good deal.

Ending was sick, but i'd have done the same in shane's position. It was him or no-one.
Would've shot the fat guy in the head tho, leaving him to be eaten alive is so many levels of fucked up.

Vlodril

I actually like the fact that it's NOT justifiable given that they were both THAT CLOSE from making it out of there intact with the supplies.

Almost like Shane had subconsciously premeditated that he would be the only one returning back alive from the "suicide run" to the school.

Didn't he initially shoot down the idea of Otis accompanying him last ep when he wanted to play hero for Lori until Otis rationalized that Shane would have no idea how to pick out the medical gear Herschel had requested?

I'm not suggesting that Shane is totally at peace with his decision... clearly he isn't. But it WAS a decision. He chose to sacrifice Otis and it wasn't to save Carl or save himself. It was a purely selfish decision. And that's what makes it all the more compelling. ;)

Alright, i didn't get that feeling when i was watching it. I thought they wanted to show that he did what he had to to survive. In that context the decision makes no sense.

If you look at it through a completely egotistical perception i guess it can work.

Rice-Eater said:
So even when the world has gone to hell and a women's choices of men in there late 20's are extremely limited, the Asian man should still gets shitted on? No, not this time. This time we have Glenn, he will rise up, get a piece of that ass and make all of us proud.
This post in combination with your username made me lol. Bravo, sir.

Puddles

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Has there been much to show that it can work as anything else right now?

I think the character drama can work if they get off their asses, ditch the fetch-quests, and introduce a story-arc that will carry the show through the end of the season. That will give the writers a whole lot more to work with.

I agree that some of the drama needs to be toned down, but I really don't want the show to stop aspiring to be more than just a B-movie style serial.

Puddles said:
Well I'll be more careful about spoilers anyway.
Thank you. Please keep in mind this thread is for discussing the television show, and a lot (if not most) of the posters here haven't read the comics.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Not a shocking twist, but a welcome one. This series needed some wrinkle to keep things interesting. My one problem with it is that it was executed poorly, I get the feeling that they wanted it to seem at least somewhat justifiable but considering the vehicles were right in front of them it just makes Shane seem like a maniac. Now if Shane really is a maniac and is going to start picking off survivors, that's fucking interesting but I highly doubt that's what the writers intended and the Otis incident is just going to serve at a point of tension between these two camps.

AngryMoth

Started watching episode 3 but I think I'm bailing. Just isn't captivating to watch and I find myself wishing I was doing something else. Might marathon it when the seasons over if the reviews are good.

bud

these zombies don't make sense: when someone's is standing within two yards of them, they only walk towards him, but when that person's standing a bit further away, they suddenly seem to be able to run.

Puddles

Banned
Cornballer said:
Thank you. Please keep in mind this thread is for discussing the television show, and a lot (if not most) of the posters here haven't read the comics.

Yeah, my bad. Maybe some of the people who have read the comics can revitalize the comic thread.

Jonm1010

Banned
Spire said:
Not a shocking twist, but a welcome one. This series needed some wrinkle to keep things interesting. My one problem with it is that it was executed poorly, I get the feeling that they wanted it to seem at least somewhat justifiable but considering the vehicles were right in front of them it just makes Shane seem like a maniac. Now if Shane really is a maniac and is going to start picking off survivors, that's fucking interesting but I highly doubt that's what the writers intended and the Otis incident is just going to serve at a point of tension between these two camps.

That would be amazing! I would love him to pick off pretty much all the characters except Glenn, Rick, and Daryl. Then during one of those scenes where Shane's actor is overacting his characters emotions and poking his eyes out all stupid like he always does, Daryl just shoots an arrow right into his face.

With all that said, the ending of this episode has convinced me to give this show a few more episodes. I was fully ready to quit on this show until that ending. All the episodes this season and all the scenes leading up to those last five minutes had me ready to give up on this show.

kingocfs

LOVED it. Finally an interesting character. A little turned off at the contrived "shave my head to turn evil" thing, but I am now totally behind this dude all the way - survival of the fittest, motherfuckers.

- J - D -

Hwasong said:
LOVED it. Finally an interesting character. A little turned off at the contrived "shave my head to turn evil" thing, but I am now totally behind this dude all the way - survival of the fittest, motherfuckers.

He shaved his head because there was a giant bald spot from where Otis grabbed and ripped out his hair. It could possibly encriminate him (probably not), but more importantly it served as a reminder for what Shane had done.

Chinner

Banned
still enjoying season 2 i know haters are not liking it because there are no michael bay moments but the slow build up will be worth it.

I hate the fact that they usually film this show during the day and then use filters to make it look like night or sunset. I know this is a common trick for tv and film, but am I the only person who is consistently distracted by this?

Man, I can't sit through the drama sequences anymore. Horrible actors and it seems so out of place in most cases. You can add depth to a character without forced dialogs!
I'm not impatient or anything. When I watch Boardwalk Empire the time just flies by..
The woods setting starts to bore me and I can't stop noticing some inconsistencies within the action scenes.
I kind of feel like giving up and picking up the comic to see I'll at least like that.

watershed

Banned
I can't believe I forgot to watch this last night!

Can someone spoiler tag a summary of the episode for me please? I think this is the first episode of Walking Dead I've ever unintentionally missed!

-PXG-

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
He shaved his head because there was a giant bald spot from where Otis grabbed and ripped out his hair. It could possibly encriminate him (probably not), but more importantly it served as a reminder for what Shane had done.

I thought this was obvious. Guess not :p

Ep 2 was pretty dull.

Ep 3 was better. There's still far too much focus on badly written and acted characters, however. The best moment was the guy who hung himself and then turned - that was genuinely disturbing and made me feel uneasy. Then they had more bollocks about whether that woman wants to live blah blah blah who gives a flying fuck. These characters are shit.

Shane shooting Otis was predictable, I thought. I didn't guess it completely right, as I assumed they got away and THEN he killed Otis for shooting the kid, but hey, I got that Shane is a dirtbag and shot the guy. Now he is becoming much more of an interesting character.

If they have to spend a few episodes in that house when the kid recovers I might lose the will to live. Please let him have a ridiculous recovery ASAP.

Carbonox

I feel like a total prick for thinking that I'd do the exact same thing as what Shane did to Otis.

It was a decent episode. Too drama-heavy but decent, nonetheless. I understood the whole thought process behind deciding whether or not to let Carl die but I'm glad they made the decision to save him. Wonder if he will ever find out that his parents discussed it in the first place. :lol

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
I feel like a total prick for thinking that I'd do the exact same thing as what Shane did to Otis.
I think it's one of the few believable actions in the show thus far.

It's either him or you both die and so does the kid. Not really much of a choice, 9/10 people would probably shoot Otis. I see it as the "right" thing to do. Hell, even if you take the kid out of the equation, your survival instincts would make it pretty hard to resist capping him.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I think it's one of the few believable actions in the show thus far.

It's either him or you both die and so does the kid. Not really much of a choice, 9/10 people would probably shoot Otis. I see it as the "right" thing to do. Hell, even if you take the kid out of the equation, your survival instincts would make it pretty hard to resist capping him.

So, if Shane didn't shoot Otis, was Otis going to shoot him?

Carbonox

EvilMario said:
So, if Shane didn't shoot Otis, was Otis going to shoot him?

Otis was that 1/10 person. :lol

In all seriousness, I don't think Otis would have done it but then his character was portrayed as a very caring and gentle man, though a bit simple. We all know Shane's a bit of a cunt on the other hand.

Who can say? He was presented as a "nice guy" and was obvious racked with guilt about the kid. It's fairly pointless to speculate about how he would've acted had Shane not shot him because you can create an argument for pretty much everything.

You say that now but with dozens of the undead chasing you all bets are off.

I'd like to think I wouldn't, but fuck it, if I didn't care for them I probably would. That's one fucked up situation to be in.

Fry

Nah, no decent human being would have done that. Otis was there solely to help him, and after doing so, he is betrayed in a horrible way.

I don't remember, but does Shane at least say 'I'm sorry'? That would redeem him a bit.

EvilMario said:
The point is, you don't want to end up alone with Foliorum Viridum in a zombie apocalypse.
The irony is I'm a chubby guy who would probably fail to keep up after x duration of running and would end up saving your life by getting caught by them!

And yes, Shane said sorry. Of course it's not a "decent" action but plenty of decent people do horrendous things to survive. Look at people pushing others out of the way in fires etc. It just happens. I know it's unsettling, but hey, that's why it makes such good TV and hits a nerve - you never know how you or someone around you might react when your life is at risk.

Puddles

Banned
I think I'd do pretty well since I've been working on my cardio a lot.

Remember, you don't need to outrun the entire herd. You just need to outrun Foliorum.

Now I feel like the chubby dude from the start of Zombieland.

:'(

zombieland-cardio_1.jpg

Fry

Foliorum Viridum said:
The irony is I'm a chubby guy who would probably fail to keep up after x duration of running and would end up saving your life by getting caught by them!

And yes, Shane said sorry. Of course it's not a "decent" action but plenty of decent people do horrendous things to survive. Look at people pushing others out of the way in fires etc. It just happens. I know it's unsettling, but hey, that's why it makes such good TV and hits a nerve - you never know how you or someone around you might react when your life is at risk.

I'd tend to agree, and to be fair, I would have done the same... maybe. I wouldn't do it to the new hot girl, though.

But he should have shot him in the head.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
bud said:
these zombies don't make sense: when someone's is standing within two yards of them, they only walk towards him, but when that person's standing a bit further away, they suddenly seem to be able to run.

This is the main thing that bothers me. I understand that every zombie is different, but it doesn't seem consistent in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom