• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKnives

Soule said:
Why shoot him in the leg? Surely in the head is more humane and also eliminates the struggle to get the gear, I'm guessing because the zombies will lose their appetite if their meal isn't fighting back? Oh well such is the mindset of a FUCKING PSYCHO, they totes coulda both made it :\

Like people already said I think Zombies prefer living flesh >_> Dead is no use to him, he needed them to start eating him.
Shane going nuts ^^

ultron87

(Comic Spoiler)
So do we think Shane will survive this season after his actions in this episode? It seems like is starting him even more seriously down the "villain" path. And that can only last for so long.

JoeBoy101

bishoptl said:
Same. Hard to watch, envisioning any of my boys in that situation.

I'm not faulting Shane for his actions, btw. Not condoning it, but the situation - and necessity of a screaming, writhing Otis to distract the walkers as bait, sorry but a bullet in the head wouldn't be enough - demanded it. He's a much more interesting character now and I'm really looking forward to seeing where the show takes this. All in all, I'm enjoying this season a lot more than the previous one.

See, I find that questionable, but even if I agree with that, the moral choice would be to sacrifice himself. Not make the decision for Otis and leave him as zombie chow. Its one thing to be weak of heart for a moment, but Shane made a brutal choice for someone else in a violent manner.

All that said, I do agree it makes Shane much more interesting. Even moreso that his returned is embraced by Lori and saves Carl's life, both whom he still is attached too, validating his choice with Otis that he clearly is having major problems with. They need more of that kind of writing, stat!

Him shooting Otis is a jerk move, but the story rewarding him for doing it? Now that's great writing.

Barrett2

Thought it was a mediocre episode.... until that awesome ending.

Did they provide any further context in episode 1 for how exactly their house can be 1 mile away from zombie highway, yet they don't have any home fortifications, and even have lights on? They mentioned something about a gate this episode. Are we just to presume they have a heavy-duty 9ft tall gate surrounding the farm with a firmly secured entrance / exit?

ultron87

My friend pointed out that Otis probably came quite close to shooting Shane through the zombie that he shot to save him when he was backed up against that fence.

I'd have found it funny if he had stuck around and his character flaw was forgetting that bullets go through things.

lawblob said:
Thought it was a mediocre episode.... until that awesome ending.

Did they provide any further context in episode 1 for how exactly their house can be 1 mile away from zombie highway, yet they don't have any home fortifications, and even have lights on? They mentioned something about a gate this episode. Are we just to presume they have a heavy-duty 9ft tall gate surrounding the farm with a firmly secured entrance / exit?

If it's a farm that had livestock, then they would have a fairly good fence set up probably. Property is large enough then the fence would possibly keep away any undead as to not really notice the humans at the far off house.

But yea not sure why they would have power and running water still.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I'll echo that the ending pretty much saved a very boring episode. (There also seems to be a lot more Jesus this season, or that could be me.)

Divius

Didn't care for the episode, again :( Knew what happened with Shane and Otis from the opening shot alone, so obvious. Also skipped through all the Rock/Lori shit.

On to next week, please be good.

&Divius said:
Didn't care for the episode, again :( Knew what happened with Shane and Otis from the opening shot alone, so obvious. Also skipped through all the Rock/Lori shit.

What are you exactly looking for if your skipping through so much in this show?

"Thank you for all the zombies Jesus."

People turning to God is really starting to irk me in this show (admittedly not the biggest issue it has) especially given that I can't recall any praying in the comic.

LowParry

&Divius said:

Why are you even watching?

Great episode I thought. The ending really brought about a new twist with the series. Need more episodes like this where I don't see anything too obvious of what's to come. Otis :(

Spirit of Jazz said:

People turning to God is really starting to irk me in this show (admittedly not the biggest issue it has) especially given that I can't recall any praying in the comic.
The writers don't know any other way to explain a character's thoughts and motivations.

Puddles said:
Christ no. This guy sucks at criticism.

No, he's 100% right. This show is mediocre through and through because it wants to relentlessly pile on drama with shitty monologues and strained conversations when it should be embracing the B movie spirit that accompanies most zombie productions. Not to mention that the writers are hellbent on drawing out story arcs that ends up being borderline filler.

Davedough

I like what they're doing with Shane, but having read the comics I'm thinking that they're only doing it to try and bring the developments that were supposed to already have taken place with him to fruition. Although,
I don't think they'll have Carl kill him
. I'm guessing in the show, he gets bit soon. There was a teaser trailer before the season started that showed him solo, running down a road being chased by a horde in broad daylight.

Divius

CcrooK said:
Why are you even watching?

Great episode I thought. The ending really brought about a new twist with the series. Need more episodes like this where I don't see anything too obvious of what's to come. Otis :(
I want to like it soooo bad because it has so much potential, but the writing/melodrama is atrocious.

BattleMonkey said:
What are you exactly looking for if your skipping through so much in this show?
Well written decent/good television and zombies.

edit: I'm not saying it was all bad, I liked the scenes with Shane and the scenes with Andrea & Daryl in the woods.

&Divius said:
I want to like it soooo bad because it has so much potential.

Well written decent/good television and zombies.

I hate to tell you, but the writing on this show isn't going to improve. The characters are essentially a hodge podge of stereotypes and it severely limits what the writers can do. The show is also a lot more slow paced than it should be.

&Divius said:
I want to like it soooo bad because it has so much potential, but the writing/melodrama is atrocious.

Well the series is packed with melodrama, the comics are full of it and in some cases even more. If you haven't liked the writing till now, I don't see it improving for you.

If folks want action, they are also going to be dissapointed as the show has tons of downtime coming and the original series had huge segments without any zombies even. I imagine the TV show is going to toss in a bunch of action just to keep episodes from ending up zombie free.

Davedough

I just had an epiphany... and I apologize if this has been discussed already. But comic book spoilers marked....

I believe we'll be reunited with Merle as
The Governor
. He cut off his own hand to get away from the rooftop.
They'll write that into the story as a revenge slicing to Rick's hand for leaving him there. Eye for an eye, hand for a hand.

Dacon

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:

It's in the comics. They even encounter a priest at some point.

Davedough said:
I just had an epiphany... and I apologize if this has been discussed already. But comic book spoilers marked....

The Governor
They'll write that into the story as a revenge slicing to Rick's hand for leaving him there. Eye for an eye, hand for a hand.

Yea some folks were guessing that since season 1

Davedough said:

The Governor
lol. Latest.epiphany.ever.

Puddles

Banned
ThisWreckage said:
I hate to tell you, but the writing on this show isn't going to improve. The characters are essentially a hodge podge of stereotypes and it severely limits what the writers can do. The show is also a lot more slow paced than it should be.

It'll improve if they stop taking the show down weird fetch-quest tangents that don't advance the story and get to the major locations from the comic series.

People calling Rick a stereotype won't be saying that for long if we ever get to the prison.

ThisWreckage said:
No, he's 100% right. This show is mediocre through and through because it wants to relentlessly pile on drama with shitty monologues and strained conversations when it should be embracing the B movie spirit that accompanies most zombie productions. Not to mention that the writers are hellbent on drawing out story arcs that ends up being borderline filler.

I agree that the show has been mediocre at times, but not for the reasons this guy lists.

Enco

Enco said:
My predictions/comments (nothing to do with comic):

1. The fat guy who went to the school will die
2. The daughter will be found and she will be fine
3. Rick's son will be fine
4. The big guy who got his arm cut is a tough one. Can't decide whether or not he'll make it
5. The intro theme is awesomeeeeeee

1, 3

CHECK!

ultron87 said:
My friend pointed out that Otis probably came quite close to shooting Shane through the zombie that he shot to save him when he was backed up against that fence.

I'd have found it funny if he had stuck around and his character flaw was forgetting that bullets go through things.
:lol

Moofers

That salon.com link is garbage. That guy writes like shit and his criticisms are somewhat valid, but more often than not I end up wondering what exactly he wants out of this show.

For example, the porch scene with Glenn and Maggie was good, I thought. As a non-christian, I was getting annoyed by everybody suddenly finding god, so it was nice to see somebody with faith look at things the way I would have given the circumstances.

I don't get what people are expecting from this show. I see comments about fast-forwarding through dialogue and I just get the impression that those are people who are just in it for the gore. If thats the case, go beat off to your issues of Fangoria or watch a mashup of horror killings on YouTube because that stuff will be way more satisfying.

I like this show. I think this week's episode was a sign that its headed in the right direction. Yeah, its very different from the comic, but I like that because it keeps me guessing. I like not knowing what is coming next.

Puddles

Banned
Moofers said:
That salon.com link is garbage. That guy writes like shit and his criticisms are somewhat valid, but more often than not I end up wondering what exactly he wants out of this show.

Apparently he wants it to be all B-movie, all the time. Not to even try for anything else.

Grisby

The intro theme is awesome. Bear is two for two.

Any bad things that were happening to me today, like a car cutting me off, the theme song would start playing in my head.

Vlodril

Shane shooting Otis would be a more justifiable if he didn't take ten steps and then arrive at the bus. I mean come on..

Guesong

Vlodril said:
Shane shooting Otis would be a more justifiable if he didn't take ten steps and then arrive at the bus. I mean come on..

Considering the time they spent scuffling as well...

Hmm.

I believe you might have a point, good sir.

bud

shane is the only interesting character in the series. the woman who lost her child is absolutely dreadful. i hope they find her daughter asap because i cannot endure her whining much longer.

Moofers said:

For example, the porch scene with Glenn and Maggie was good, I thought. As a non-christian, I was getting annoyed by everybody suddenly finding god, so it was nice to see somebody with faith look at things the way I would have given the circumstances.

I don't get what people are expecting from this show. I see comments about fast-forwarding through dialogue and I just get the impression that those are people who are just in it for the gore. If thats the case, go beat off to your issues of Fangoria or watch a mashup of horror killings on YouTube because that stuff will be way more satisfying.

I like this show. I think this week's episode was a sign that its headed in the right direction. Yeah, its very different from the comic, but I like that because it keeps me guessing. I like not knowing what is coming next.
It's not about wanting to fast-forward through the dialogue because it's dialogue. It's because it's bad dialogue.

Did you really need that girl to tell you "lol it doesn't feel like our prayers are being answered?" It's such an awkward platitude that everyone is already thinking. Same with Lori's loud realization that "this world isn't right for a child!" So many groans at this garbage.

Mad Men is critically acclaimed for its dialogue, but the best part of the writing on that show and why it's acclaimed is what the characters don't say. The Walking Dead doesn't appear to know how to let you understand any of their characters unless they're praying to the sky or stopping everything to have a drawn-out conversation with someone else.

Think about it this way: how much talking did Shane do in this episode? And how much do you now know about him, and how interesting is he because of his actions? Now imagine if he just stood around talking to himself or Rick about what he did. That's what every other character is doing.

nomis

bud said:
shane is the only interesting character in the series. the woman who lost her child is absolutely dreadful. i hope they find her daughter asap because i cannot endure her whining much longer.

I hope they find her daughter AFTER she gets eaten by zombies. She is worthless.

I even hated Andrea in season one, and by the last episode, I found her to be a real character. Carol is a lost cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom