• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: The Game Retail Bundle

A promotional flyer has revealed details on the retail release of The Walking Dead: The Game. As told to IGN by reader Alexander Hann, GameStop is reportedly advertising that a Special Collector’s Edition of The Walking Dead: The Game will include special packaging as well as a 1,000 page compendium with the first 48 issues of The Walking Dead comic and a special cover by Walking Dead artist Charlie Adlard. The box will be available for $69.99 and will be released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

a5rblcceaa-27kjpg-largejpeg-fcdc87_800w-610x816.jpg
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/21/the-walking-dead-the-game-retail-bundle-details

This is very tempting. A physical copy of the game and the compendium.. I'm impressed.

Jeff-DSA

One of the most interesting and engaging stories we've ever had in gaming. For those that haven't been playing the episodes as they've rolled out, I'd suggest getting the retail release for sure.

pa22word

The box will be available for $69.99 and will be released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

No love for the PC crowd that is the reason you even exist?

Thanks TT. Would have bought this, too.

bede-x

One of those rare collector's edition that could be worth it, especially if you don't own the comic. I'll get it if it's released in Europe.

Everyone get this,comic is great and I think the game is about in par with the comic

The Game's storytelling is miles better than the comics. So much so (and I'm someone who owns the full run of graphic novels to date) that I'd warn people NOT to buy this special edition simply because, as a bonus feature, the first 48 issues of "The Walking Dead" are pretty bleh.

Honestly, between the Comics, the TV show, and this game, the game is the only one to actually realize the potential of the premise consistently.

The Compendium by itself is 36 bucks on amazon.com

epmode

I'm still kind of stunned to see that Telltale might have finally made a top-tier game. I won't be starting my playthrough until the final installment has been released but I'm looking forward to it!

ImLibo

Instant buy for me,i've only read the first 6 issues of the comic so this is perfect.
Doesn't hurt to have a physical copy of the game either.

Necrovex

This is a fine-ass collector's edition. If I didn't already own the compendium and bought the season pass for TWD, this would be day one.

Ponn

Banned
Considering the Compendium has a MSRP of $60, this is a great deal.

Well thats msrp, you can get it off amazon new right now for $36.

The alternate cover though may be tempting for collectors. I think I would have preferred something like Clem's hat, maybe with a little blood on it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Off topic...but what happens if I skip an episode?

For example, I play episode 1 on steam end up getting episode on my xbox? How does it decide what choices you've made i episode 2?

abrack08

Off topic...but what happens if I skip an episode?

For example, I play episode 1 on steam end up getting episode on my xbox? How does it decide what choices you've made i episode 2?

I don't know if you can do that. This is just from my experience, but I had 1 and 2 for free with PS Plus. My sub ran out, then I bought 3 and 4 last night and it won't let me play 3 or 4. The only thing I can play is the demo version of Episode 1 unless I re-buy 1 and 2 or resub to PS Plus.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't know if you can do that. This is just from my experience, but I had 1 and 2 for free with PS Plus. My sub ran out, then I bought 3 and 4 last night and it won't let me play 3 or 4. The only thing I can play is the demo version of Episode 1 unless I re-buy 1 and 2 or resub to PS Plus.

I read something about it randomly generating decisions for you but it was unclear if that required you to own the previous episodes for the series. This is super lame if true.

Grief.exe

No love for the PC crowd that is the reason you even exist?

Thanks TT. Would have bought this, too.

PC games really have no place in the retail space anymore, for better or worse depending on how you see it.

That's super lame...

Probably in a small minority in your cases.

People playing it on another system and switching or that PS+ scenario.

Weird that they don't allow you to do that if they sell them individually, or if your save was corrupted.

Probably just too hinged on your decisions, they would have to make up some kind of system where you go through all the decisions you made or something to tell the game what you selected.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Probably just too hinged on your decisions, they would have to make up some kind of system where you go through all the decisions you made or something to tell the game what you selected.

But they already have a system in place where it can randomly generate decisions if you click New Game and opt to start at one of the later episodes.

Just finished the first episode. Maybe it's just me but this blows that often boring show out of the water.

Is this more in line with the comics, or if I don't like the show I should probably skip the comics too right?

It's cool that these compendiums are cheap but I can't get down with that black and white.

An-Det

Now that's an awesome bundle. Compendium 1 is fantastic, and the game itself has surpassed expectations. If I didn't already own the comics I'd be really tempted on it.

Just finished the first episode. Maybe it's just me but this blows that often boring show out of the water.

Is this more in line with the comics, or if I don't like the show I should probably skip the comics too right?

The show is pretty much parallel, quality wise, to the comics (although in completely different ways). The storylines go in different directions pretty quickly, but both the show and the comic share similar problems: Repetitive scenarios, hyper-annoying characters, indulgent verbosity, moments of genuine tension few and far between.

The game has almost none of these problems.

The show, however, starts to pick up speed/purpose/focus once Darabont is fired and Mazzara takes over, and Season 3, after episode 1, at least, seems to be doing things MUCH differently.

Anyone know how much the game itself will cost at retail? 20? 25? If it's $20 bucks for all 5 chapters, it would be about $10 cheaper to pre-order the basic edition and buy the first compendium at Amazon. This special edition exists because Image comics has a lot of Compendium One overstock, probably.

Grief.exe

But they already have a system in place where it can randomly generate decisions if you click New Game and opt to start at one of the later episodes.

Wow, if they already have that system in place you seriously need to email the developers and see whats going on here. That seems like a quick fix and patch.

It's cool that these compendiums are cheap but I can't get down with that black and white.

I just read most of the first book today and it seems like its very similar to the show. Its focus is mainly on the human side and their issues.

I'm up to date with the show. Honestly while Season 1 had it's cheesy moments (Vatos looking after their grandmas lmao) I think it was a lot more enjoyable than the dull as hell season 2.

Yeah I think this game is the way to go though.

I have actually held off playing this game despite the positive impressions because the show is so dreadful. I was hoping S3 would be better but nope same boring ass show. Hearing the game isn't like that makes me really intrigued.

abrack08

Wow, if they already have that system in place you seriously need to email the developers and see whats going on here. That seems like a quick fix and patch.

I just read most of the first book today and it seems like its very similar to the show. Its focus is mainly on the human side and their issues.

Yeah, it actually says here:
http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/faq/

That it will randomly generate choices for you.

From the LOAD GAME menu, select your current save game to import your choices from previously completed Episodes. You can also start Episodes 2-5 without completing previous episodes first and it will generate random choices for you.

I think the problem for me most likely is that you have to buy episode one to have "The Game" and the other episodes are considered DLC. I probably (hopefully?) just actually have to buy episode 1. Still, I have saves from 1 and 2 and I own 3 and 4, I SHOULD be able to keep playing. Doesn't really seem fair.

EDIT: People in the Telltale support forums have had similar problems with the whole PS+ thing. Some people had the first two games with PS+, liked the games so much they bought a Season Pass, then when the PS+ expired it STILL changed their game back into a demo and wouldn't let them keep playing. Pretty lame. And this is almost 100% unrelated to the retail release of this game so I'll stop talking about it, haha

alphaNoid

Banned
I have actually held off playing this game despite the positive impressions because the show is so dreadful. I was hoping S3 would be better but nope same boring ass show. Hearing the game isn't like that makes me really intrigued.

Its one of the best shows on all of television, you cray.

show is awful, the graphic novels are bad, game is great

Its one of the best shows on all of television, you cray.

First season had flashes of brilliance. Season 2 was awful until the last episode which i didnt fall asleep half way into. First ep of this season is surprise! Boring. Which is quite a feat when your dealing w/ zombies and a
maximum security prison.

show is awful, the graphic novels are bad, game is great

Okay I'll definitely pick it up.

Top Bottom