• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: The Game Retail Bundle

Haunted

I just got this bundle, i did not watch the tv-serie.
I have downloaded it on my pc, but now im doubting what order to start.

Should i first watch the tv-serie, or will that spoiler the game (or is this seperate story?) and how do the comics tie into this.
TV series has nothing to with the games, they're in different canons.

The first game episode takes place before the comic starts (and has cameos of two characters that later appear in the comic), the later episodes take place at the same time, but it's a separate story following different people.

The Walking Dead game is its own thing, not an adaptation.

tha_devil

TV series has nothing to with the games, they're in different canons.

The first game episode takes place before the comic starts (and has cameos of two characters that later appear in the comic), the later episodes take place at the same time, but it's a separate story following different people.

The Walking Dead game is its own thing, not an adaptation.

thanks!

Yazuka

Does anybody know if they'll telease this game on disc in Europe? Would love to play it , but I'd rather own a physical copy then a downloaded one.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Parts of Episode 3 are nearly unplayable due to stuttering. It's horrible. :( And since you can't install it, (360 ver) you can't...ugh there MAY be a way to get this stupid scene beaten, but I can't manage it no matter what due to stutter and small bugs.

Does anybody know if they'll telease this game on disc in Europe? Would love to play it , but I'd rather own a physical copy then a downloaded one.

I was listening to IGN's Xbox 360 podcast earlier this week and they had Telltale's PR manager, he said they will announce something in the future.

So...probably? At some point?

The_Monk

Is it now safe to assume this won't get released in Europe?

I already have it on Steam but would love this CE for the PS3 too.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That's the regular edition. Price was always the same.

No, the price on Amazon had fluctuated between 30-100 bucks due to 3rd party sellers.

Anyway, I managed to grab 2 copies of this today at Best Buy. One for a friend for Christmas and one for me.

Cloudy

Banned
Umm this game runs like shit on 360. The demo was so smooth. WTF is going on?

This shit is damn near unplayable IMO.

Cloudy

Banned
I notice on the TTG forum they are adking folks about the free space on their 360. I am going to try again saving to my 16GB card. I have a 4GB system and was using cloud saves before.

Bout 90 minutes into the first episode, just my thoughts so far:

I feel like with all the hype surrounding this that I went into it being a bit nitpicky. I'm a bit annoyed by the odd voice acting and stilted bits of dialogue. And while the dialogue choices and building of your character's background narrative ad personality as such is an interesting concept on paper, it comes off in the conversations as just disparate phrases mangled together with bits of ducktape and string (again, made worse by the fact that a lot of the dialogue seems forced and unnatural, ESPECIALLY in juxtaposition with all the cussing). Character motivations also turn on a dime, an outcropping of the aforementioned free and potentially wildly changing dialogue choices.

I like the Borderlands-esque shading though, and all the zombie qte's have actually been pretty engaging (for being qte's), a lot like the Heavy Rain sequences. Lee's backstory also has some interesting potential, and thankfully the puzzle solving so far hasn't yet devolved into the classic adventure game trope of "rub everything against every other thing until something happens," with some hard coded elements of story-progression that do well to keep things moving. I remain cautiously optimistic about the remainder of the episode and the season.

Magnus

So for someone who's never touched this game/episodes at all (and has barely watched the show but has dug some of season 3), could I just jump in with this retail disc? Price is right and everyone raves about this game...

PS3 or 360?

Cloudy

Banned
Can you give some examples of spots ?

The first area. It lagged like shit when I got the shell and gun. Seemed a bit better when I restarted and saved to a 16GB card but it just doesn't feel as smooth as the demo. I know I'll end up hating the experience if I play like this so either I go get the ps3 version or wait for a patch. It's one thing to release a buggy arcade game but retail consumers won't accept this...

Esura

Banned
I'm pleasantly surprised about this game. One of the few hyped game of this year I feel deserves it. Bought it the other day and finished it yesterday, I loved almost every bit of it. On the PS3 version in Episode 4 there is a lot of skipping and stopping like a slideshow and a few of the puzzles are a bit out there, especially in Episode 4. I think there is too many "puzzles" in the game too. Would of been nice if they were replaced with Asura's Wrath like QTEs. Still love the game though.

Cartman86

Banned
Bout 90 minutes into the first episode, just my thoughts so far:

I feel like with all the hype surrounding this that I went into it being a bit nitpicky. I'm a bit annoyed by the odd voice acting and stilted bits of dialogue. And while the dialogue choices and building of your character's background narrative ad personality as such is an interesting concept on paper, it comes off in the conversations as just disparate phrases mangled together with bits of ducktape and string (again, made worse by the fact that a lot of the dialogue seems forced and unnatural, ESPECIALLY in juxtaposition with all the cussing). Character motivations also turn on a dime, an outcropping of the aforementioned free and potentially wildly changing dialogue choices.

I like the Borderlands-esque shading though, and all the zombie qte's have actually been pretty engaging (for being qte's), a lot like the Heavy Rain sequences. Lee's backstory also has some interesting potential, and thankfully the puzzle solving so far hasn't yet devolved into the classic adventure game trope of "rub everything against every other thing until something happens," with some hard coded elements of story-progression that do well to keep things moving. I remain cautiously optimistic about the remainder of the episode and the season.

Episode 1 is the weakest for me. Was not really looking forward yo the rest after that. Glad I stuck with it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was gonna buy this on 360, should I avoid? It runs badly?

It runs really badly, the need for the disc to keep up vs the downloadable performance is what kills it.

If you get stuck on a spot you likely can't beat because of stuttering (Ep 3 I'm lookin at you) - try hitting the guide button and wait for a few minutes (yes...minutes) for the disc to finish loading and it helps.

Really bad work by TT. It's a shame, too.

Can I play this game in isolation without any real knowledge of the franchise as a whole? Will I still enjoy it as much, or should I watch the TV series or read the comic books first?

Dave_6

Well I was wanting to buy this but after reading these issues about how it runs I may pass :( Is the PS3 version any better by chance?

fernoca

Weird about all the problems been reported, mostly about the Xbox 360 version.

I played (the first 2 chapters of) the digital version of the 360 version as noted earlier, and the disc/PS3 version I've been playing over the last days seems to play the same.
No long ass pauses, no lag; mostly the same...aside the really short pauses during some dialogs, but that was also on the (digital) 360 version too (and most Telltale games I've played).

Then again, many reported problems with Assassin's Creed III and others, and I had none.

My PS3 is a 320GB/Uncharted bundle if that means something.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm not having any issues with performance on the disc version personally, but it does seem lots of people are. Based on my experimentation it also seems that attempting to load saves from USB stick results in wiped save 100% of the time.

Cloudy

Banned
Weird about all the problems been reported, mostly about the Xbox 360 version.

I played (the first 2 chapters of) the digital version of the 360 version as noted earlier, and the disc/PS3 version I've been playing over the last days seems to play the same.
No long ass pauses, no lag; mostly the same...aside the really short pauses during some dialogs, but that was also on the (digital) 360 version too (and most Telltale games I've played).

Then again, many reported problems with Assassin's Creed III and others, and I had none.

My PS3 is a 320GB/Uncharted bundle if that means something.

I'm pretty sure it's mostly folks like me playing on a 4GB 360 with usb sticks (Had issues with AC3 as well but not nearly as bad). I'll be picking up the ps3 version today and selling the 360 one.

Cloudy

Banned
So I got the ps3 version. It's smooth as butter with no issues. I suspect the 360 version requires a certain amount of HDD space

zroid

Banned
I have to say I'm impressed with the manual. Was expecting some black and white three-page garbage, but it's an attractive little booklet.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I know that this is the retail bundle thread, but I'm trying to buy the best possible version of the game for a friend and I'm hearing mixed things about several different versions.... PC having save issues, 360 stuttering, etc. etc.

What version should I get? All options are available, all distribution methods available, installs on on consoles are an option.

MVP

Banned
I always see this on Xbox Live Arcade and it always gets praise, but I've never made the leap. Should I play it even if I've never watched the show? Or are the two completely unrelated?

I always see this on Xbox Live Arcade and it always gets praise, but I've never made the leap. Should I play it even if I've never watched the show? Or are the two completely unrelated?

Yes you should, and It's unrelated to the show. You will be fine starting with the game since it takes place before the comics.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
god how is this a GOTY winning game? no way.

just finished eps. 2. and I gotta admit, i'm not that big of a fan of the game. i'm a huge WD fan, but something about these new-age adventure games and interactive stories just doesnt work well in my opinion.

i mean yeah the writing/story is ok, just feel like i'm playing a wheres waldo or eye spy game. a little too linear for my taste i geuss. the only thing that keeps me in check is that these were DL games.

the stuttering hurts the experience too

i fell for the hype ( and my love for WD) :(

~Kinggi~

Banned
I played through the 360 version and did not have these "unplayable" issues people are talking about. Only when i first started up the game was there crazy lag cause of caching or something. There were some odd pauses during decision points but the ps3 version can pause upwards of 5 seconds at times so im pretty sure the console disc versions act the same if you have HD space.

dralla

First time playing, should I go right to Minimal? I don't play adventure games, but I should still be ok, right?

border

First time playing, should I go right to Minimal? I don't play adventure games, but I should still be ok, right?

If you think it will be fun clicking every possible object on screen to see if you can interact with it, then maybe.

In minimal I don't think you can see the consequences of your dialogue choices either, which I would really want to.

Grisby

Runs very bad on the PS3. Tons of skipping frames and vocie oddities. The game will lock up a second while the audio will still continue and then catch up in the next shot.

It's all shoddily done Telltale. Still, I'm on episode 2 and I'm loving the atmosphere and conversations to death.

Hope the performence picks up on the road. Running the damn thing on a 2 year old slim.

border

This sucks. I liked the game a lot and was hoping to give copies of it to friends for Christmas, but they all own 4GB Slim Systems.

Are the technical problems game-breaking? Or is it just stuff like framerate issues?

Top Bottom